forum

osu! plays replays of maps in the background at main menu

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Kitokofox
This is probably one of the most crazy ideas I've had so far. This is targeted more towards newer players of the game.
Basically, at the main menu, if you have the option set (by default it could be on) after a while of inactivity (inactivity as in not going away from the main menu), if the monitor is turned on and osu! is idle, it will start playing a map in the background for you at the next song change. If there is replay data for said map, osu! will play that replay data. If not, it will play the slightly limb version of auto as seen in the skin editor. This would be good, if osu! were to be packaged with songs, a couple of example replays could be packed along with it for all the respective game modes, so a player who is new to the game could see the replay in the background and know what that game mode is about before actually playing it. The osu! cookie could also alpha out a bit to let you see the action going on behind it. I figure this would be a very welcoming environment for newer players, and a lot of games do this as well. It could also fetch a random replay from the leaderboard at random times as well, when the player is more experienced at the game, giving them something to look forward to. (Thanks YGOkid8)
ArcherLove
It's like touhou \o/ I can't support it sadly because I've use my vote to another "request" \o/
YGOkid8
it could also fetch a random replay off the leaderboards.

i dunno, i know you say it's geared towards newer players but personally, i like to find out about a map when i play it for the first time, rather than getting "spoiled". although yeah a toggle would rectify this.

indifferent about this myself.
Topic Starter
Kitokofox
In retaliation, when you pick up a map, you're more than likely going to play that map, once you get better. And if you're new to the game, you would at least want to see what the game is like, wouldn't you? And if you're more demanding and wanting to hop right in you won't see that preview at all, since it's a time-based mechanism.
YGOkid8
i guess, sure. as long as we can toggle it off, i'd have no problems with it.

adding on though, maybe only do this for when there's a song playing in the background? e.g. after so and so seconds of listening to song, it'll show replay of random diff from where the song currently is. better than aaahh nice peace and quiet OH GOD WHERE DID THIS MUSIC COME FROM lol.
deadbeat
i think this is a dupe
Shivarion

YGOkid8 wrote:

i guess, sure. as long as we can toggle it off, i'd have no problems with it.

deadbeat wrote:

i think this is a dupe
so.. where is the other one ?
FrzR
I like this. I hope it doesn't use too much power that it slows down the game. >.>
deadbeat

Shivarion wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

i think this is a dupe
so.. where is the other one ?
no idea ;w;