forum

Rate the mapping technique - Round 20: Slider Art

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love them!
45.77%
20.42%
16.20%
8.45%
1 - Hate them!
9.15%
Total votes: 284
Topic Starter
m980
Round 20: Slider Art

Nominated by Shinxyn. Usually placed when there is a long phrase. Consists of a slider that is shaped like an item (in these 2 examples, a Treble Clef and a Star.)

Example Map(s)
Mago de Oz - Hasta que el cuerpo aguante
Julian Miranda - You're The Inspiration

~Mapping Technique Nominations~
LuigiHann
I'm a fan of this only if you have something really interesting and profound and unique to make slider art out of. Way too many maps just throw in a star or a heart for the heck of it, and that's dumb.

That treble clef was badass just because at the time, nobody had done something quite like that before. And also because it is not ugly, which is impressive, given how many chances it gets to become ugly over the long course of the slider.
MegaManEXE
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Daru
I love doing this, as well as playing it.

So yeah, 5.
Zekira
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
nomedeusuarionaodisp
5, but only if the author really tried to draw something (and it ended up pretty). Splattering a slider all over the screen usually results in something horribly ugly (and unreadable, completely destroying the map).
rust45
Four, cause these only work well when the follow the music and/or look really nice.
anonymous_old
5 for Daru.

Practically, I dislike a lot of the slider art out there. I like more abstract, quick sliders. Long, elegant sliders I am bored with. Long sliders in general I'm bored with. Making it artsy makes it more annoying, not more fun.
Derekku
Ephemeral
More often than not, people are blisteringly incapable of creating even simple sliders without issue - and thus most of the slider art we actually do have is shit, with very few exceptions (the treble clef for example).

A 5 for the concept, 1 for the implementation yields a solid three all round.
Jarby
That treble clef is ugly as hell.
Mystearica
hi5 daru, nice goin' bro.
CheeseWarlock
This gets a 3; it's pretty cool as a visual effect but it doesn't really add anything to the feel of the gameplay a lot of the time, and people try to throw them in when they're not needed at all.
Real1
As long as it's easy to see where the slider will go, it's fine. Have a weak 4.
Doomsday
i've given it a 4. It can work well so long as its interesting and/or relevant to the song or the storyboard.
Hitoshirenu Shourai
I love how no one remembers my Triforce. =(
Hanyuu
i love beautiful sliders
Yoshi348
I believe one map actually snuck in a small ninja star at one point; small enough that it didn't have the "long ass slider" issue which was cool.
GabrielRKF
lol
5 for Daru xD

Hitoshirenu Shourai wrote:

I love how no one remembers my Triforce. =(
It was the first Slider Art that I played! Pretty nice! :]
YGOkid8
If they mean something, it makes the map sooo much cooler and more fun to play/watch.

5*
Wojjan
4'd. People can do this well, or fail horribly, thus creating an ugly-ass long slider.
Xgor
I love long (Somewhat fast sliders) and this technique makes those far more interesting.
Sure they can be ugly sometimes and sometimes be unfitting but they are fuuunn!

I dislike when the Slider Art hurt too much on the timing and dosn't fit at all
eee
<3 Rolled Slider Art
they're cool if they look good (I think the treble clef is cool -_-)
Symbolic
Mad credits for the Treble Clef, I mostly like slider art when it goes to the lyrics.
anonymous_old
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/34819

I came when I first saw this map. =]
Valcarde
Total newb chiming in:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/916 Has some clean, simple slider art during the chorus.
Gens
Meh, long sliders are boring and most of the time won't fit the music. Though it's pretty.

~4.
theowest
shet,
Sabreblade

I like slider art. As you can see, I'm terrible at it myself though >:( As long as its actually linked with the music, flows well and isn't horrendously disfigured, I'll give it a 5 :)
Helps if it's appropriate to the song as well, rather than just some random picture. For instance on "I'm on a boat [IvalTode]" by foulcoon, I like the Poseidon trident slider :D
theowest
no. not fun to play.
DennisGG
4''d

Nice one Daru ^_^
Rena-chan
4 from here, only because it is amazing when it's done right. Too bad 99% of slider art plays awfully, though.
theplayerbeta
When it's used correctly..... 5/5, if not 0!
10crystalmask01

Wojjan wrote:

4'd. People can do this well, or fail horribly, thus creating an ugly-ass long slider.
lol so true.
The Veldt
Wow. These slider arts are really ugly compared to what we have now.