forum

How many languages do you speak?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Lewder

Otsutsuki wrote:

English, Russian, Ukrainian, Swedish and a bit of Norwegian and German. fluent in first 4.
Would you or your family happen to be from Gammalsvenskby?
Kaona
English and some Japanese.

I know very very very basic German and French.

I doubt most of the people claiming to be able to speak Japanese fully are actually able to do so at a decent level.
kirueggy
English
Japanese (thanks, anime)
Korean
Tagalog (can understand but can only speak so much)
tn5421
Only really speak english. Want to learn Japanese.
Otsutsuki_old

Lewder wrote:

Otsutsuki wrote:

English, Russian, Ukrainian, Swedish and a bit of Norwegian and German. fluent in first 4.
probably not, since im not Ukrainian and I learned it just because I already knew Russian, took me ~half a year approx...(Ukrainian is very similar to Russian)
Lewder

Otsutsuki wrote:

Lewder wrote:

probably not, since im not Ukrainian and I learned it just because I already knew Russian, took me ~half a year approx...(Ukrainian is very similar to Russian)
I meant Swedish, but that also answers my question. Where did you learn Swedish then? I'm curious to know.
DeletedUser_3905941
Rather than be a pretentious faggot and say I know Japanese and all of those other oriental languages, I'm gonna say it.
I ONLY KNOW ONE FUCKING LANGUAGE orz
E14
Languages i can speak: Tagalog, English, Japanese (still learning because im not fluent much), and some other languages that i very liitle know about..
Otsutsuki_old

Lewder wrote:

I meant Swedish, but that also answers my question. Where did you learn Swedish then? I'm curious to know.
I'm half Swedish, not sure where you can learn it though... but im pretty sure its easy to find a teacher, especially in Finland
Lewder

Otsutsuki wrote:

Lewder wrote:

I'm half Swedish, not sure where you can learn it though... but im pretty sure its easy to find a teacher, especially in Finland
I'm fluent, it's my first language. I was just curious as it's a very uncommon combination of languages to know, especially for someone living in the US.
FrzR

E s s a wrote:

Languages i can speak: Tagalog, English, Japanese (still learning because im not fluent much), and some other languages that i very liitle know about..
Same. o3o
Otsutsuki_old

Lewder wrote:

I'm fluent, it's my first language. I was just curious as it's a very uncommon combination of languages to know, especially for someone living in the US.
not everyone living in US is American...
Lewder

Otsutsuki wrote:

Lewder wrote:

not everyone living in US is American...
I'm aware, but you also claimed fluency in English. Learning 3-4 languages growing up is an impressive feat. I don't see why you'd be offended by anything here, I'm complimenting you if anything
Laur0shka
My mother tongue is Spanish. I speak English and French too. Also, I'm learning Latin and classic Greek at school xD

In the future I'd like to learn German and Japanese.
Otsutsuki_old

Lewder wrote:

I'm aware, but you also claimed fluency in English. Learning 3-4 languages growing up is an impressive feat. I don't see why you'd be offended by anything here, I'm complimenting you if anything
nah im cool, why would you think I was offended by anything? D: didnt put too much effort into learning half of those though, as you did not into Finnish...
benjanyan
-
Lewder

Otsutsuki wrote:

Lewder wrote:

nah im cool, why would you think I was offended by anything? D: didnt put too much effort into learning half of those though, as you did not into Finnish...
Huh? I'm practically perfectly fluent in Finnish aswell
Binoo-
My first language is English.
I can't write in Korean for shit but I can read and speak fluently
Sucks being asian :cry:
vsprite
English and Korean (Main languages)
I studied latin at school for 2 years so now i have a good understanding of the language, however i dropped out as the language was becoming more complex and challenging for me
i know a few japanese phrases and words from anime
I also know a bit of french from learning it for 2 years in middle school.
Janioszek
Just two: Polish and English. Although I have been studying Latin and German for three years, I still can't say anything in these two languages...
EnDy_S
Hungarian - natively
English, Japanese - fluently (Majoring in Japanese language)
Spanish - just a little
Chinese - only reading a bit (due to my Japanese knowledge)
In the future I want to learn Russian, Chinese and Swedish :)
ceschierpadua
Only 2:

Tagalog
English
B1rd

andor-sama wrote:

Hungarian - natively
Spanish - just a little
Isn't majoring in a language a really bad idea unles you want to be a language teacher or soemthing?
JeremyTechnika
Only 2
Sophia
I can speak Portuguese, English, and Spanish fluently.

Due to similarities between all Romance languages as they are derived from Latin and thus have some basic similarities, I can get a grasp of Italian and somewhat French, but only if it is written - I can't talk in them fluently, however.
I have great interest in learning Japanese, as I've only taken few words/expressions from Anime if at all, and I struggle to actually use them. Also, I'm far from learning the Kana, for example.
B1rd
^Kana is easy to learn, basically the same as the English alphabet, you could learn it in a week if you tried, easy. Kanji is where it gets difficult
Le-Toucan
Bulgarian , English and a bit of Spanish
Ring Suzune
English, Afrikaans and Portuguese.
Feast
French, english (not fluently tho) & a bit of spanish & chinese (but really a bit)
sesh
EnDy_S

B1rd wrote:

andor-sama wrote:

Hungarian - natively
Spanish - just a little
Isn't majoring in a language a really bad idea unles you want to be a language teacher or soemthing?
Actually there are many possibilities ranging from diplomatic positions concerning international relations to the most language oriented stuff like translating or just as you said teaching.
Gakkun
Spanish
English
and I can understand a bit of French but I'm not fluent or anything (know the basics)
mareee
English,Italian,Serbian,Bosnian,Croatian,Macedonican,Montengro :D
SushiBottle
English native, Chinese since birth but I can't really say I'm fluent unfortunately :(

Also learning French and Japanese at the moment.
Kawatta
I speak fluent english & danish. I speak some norwegien, swedish and german too :D
noneed
im fluent in german and english. my italian is decent and my nipponese is weeb lvl.
Dark_Ai
thai
german and a really really really bad english. I want to learn japanese but yeah :|
kirueggy

Dark_Ai wrote:

I want to learn japanese but yeah :|
Rosetta Stone is your friend
(although it costs like 1307130861386183618301308618318301 money)
B1rd
coookiezi taught himself Japanese with just textbooks and internet,

it's like osu!, all you really need to do is be motivated and practise a lot.
SushiBottle

kirukashi wrote:

Dark_Ai wrote:

I want to learn japanese but yeah :|
Rosetta Stone is your friend
(although it costs like 1307130861386183618301308618318301 money)
Rosetta Stone is terrible. Especially for what it costs, it's not worth it. It's soo much better if you actually just buy a textbook and back it up with cheaper online resources (or even free ones, as they can be very good as well). Rosetta Stone on its own has many problems, and a lot of missed nuances that people should probably pick up on their way to learning to speak a language. Also, Rosetta Stone doesn't even bring you close to fluency. It's more of a kick starter.

I hate to be all anti - thisprogramthatprogram but I'd rather not see people waste their money.
show more