forum

Monster Hunter series - help, showcases, & more!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Best, crossover, ever:

-Maus-
Ayy
Ciunek
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Can't wait to get the game \o/

EDIT: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/26/monster-hunter-stories-launching-japan-october-8-amiibo-figures/

I actually want one of those amiibo.
-Maus-
>not caring about the anime
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I'm worried that the animé will spoil the game is the thing...
-Maus-
Spoiler: You hun the mon
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/27/buy-monster-hunter-stories-japan-matters/

MAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WAIFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU <33333333333333333333333333333333333333333
PyaKura
Hahaha way to sell the game multiple times to the same customers. Kinda reminds me of that moment when you gotta pick a starter in the Pokémon series, except that you've got a shitton more to choose from here lol.
-Maus-
You can buy MHGen demo for $4 on Humble Bundle or get it for free (Europe only) from the UK eShop. The demo will be globally released on June 31st.
Jinn
blademaster...
-Maus-
The MHGen demo is coming out on Thursday worldwide on Nintendo eShop
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
"Mounting from Monster Hunter 4 is returning. Terrain from maps in the previous games have included more ledges for mounting. However, mounting threshold has increased, making it generally harder to mount than in MH4, and monsters no longer receive any damage or receive status effects from any source as they are mounted; in turn, other hunter's attacks can no longer force dismount, and their attacks will assist in building up the monster's knockdown gauge."

Oh, thank goodness... (Yes, I'm just now noticing this.)
Ciunek
I like that feature, honestly. Also is it me, or even stagger treshhold is increased (in the demo at least)? Compared to 4U, I find it harder to flinch the monsters now.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I was pointing out the whole "hunters' attacks no longer force dismount" bit. That annoyed the hell outta me on MH4U ._.

As for your question: do you mean stun?
Ciunek
No, actual stun seems the same. I mean that sort of flinch effect after monsters take some high damage, like you stop their attacks sometimes with let's say, lv3 GS charge. That seems to be harder to do now, but again, that might be just me.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
PyaKura

Ciunek wrote:

No, actual stun seems the same. I mean that sort of flinch effect after monsters take some high damage, like you stop their attacks sometimes with let's say, lv3 GS charge. That seems to be harder to do now, but again, that might be just me.
That could be a thing. What's definitely sure though is it's a hell lot harder to mount monsters than it is in 4U. Looking back on it it's true that monsters tended to trip quite a lot whether it was due to mounting or just hitting the legs/whatever part made them trip. You have less of those huge dps windows opportunities is MHX.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
It's harder to mount monsters because of what I talked about a few posts ago: because the other hunters can now contribute in the knockdown instead of forcing dismount.

EDIT: http://myanimelist.net/anime/31631/Monster_Hunter_Stories__Ride_On

Ugh... I'm gonna be so pissed if the game doesn't come out overseas...
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
So this is kinda important: with MHG coming out this Friday/Saturday, I wanted to know how many people here are getting it. If there's enough of you, would you guys be willing to join a Discord server (either one that's already created or one we make ourselves)?

Obviously, we don't HAVE to. It'd just seem easier to coordinate meetups and all.
Ciunek
Bought it, playing it, but I have a static 4/4 group already, rip.
-Maus-
Will buy it soon, eh
-Maus-
PSA: the translation team did drive to Meme Country after all
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Ended up getting a really good Palico from Gaijinhunter just now. Will share with others here if you guys want it (and when I have the time).

EDIT: Or there's this: https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/756168906092404737 Ended now, but I'm sure there are others like me who are willing to share them if you want them.

Also, I wanted to put a MHG poll up, but something weird happened which ended up colliding with my MH4U one.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Ugh... Apparently Rajang has an Ice cousin, and this one can dig underground >.>;
Ciunek
You've never fought Blangonga before? I didn't miss the guy one bit.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
The only MonHan games I've ever played aside from this one are MH3U and MH4U.
PyaKura

Blazevoir wrote:

So this is kinda important: with MHG coming out this Friday/Saturday, I wanted to know how many people here are getting it. If there's enough of you, would you guys be willing to join a Discord server (either one that's already created or one we make ourselves)?

Obviously, we don't HAVE to. It'd just seem easier to coordinate meetups and all.
Late to the party but I'm definitely interested. Just can't really do online atm due to being in China and having unstable network issues.
Bought the game day 1 and I'm almost 70 hours in. Barely played village though.
Ciunek

Blazevoir wrote:

The only MonHan games I've ever played aside from this one are MH3U and MH4U.
Enjoy Plesioth when you get there, unless you fought that already. You'll see D:
PyaKura
So I'm just going to drop my hopefully objective opinion about the game now that I got to play the localized version of it, effectively cumulating ~150 hours or so of gameplay. This may be a bit lenghty and not well organized and I might get lost in my flow of thoughts when writing so feel free to skip entirely to the end for a tl;dr.

wall of text
First of all the hunting styles : this is most likely the biggest change (along with the arts) from the other games of the main series. They're all very cool and gives every weapon a breath of fresh air, having each their strengths and weaknesses. However I feel that it is not the complete truth. As a matter of fact, my brother and I ended up playing almost exclusively with Adept Style as most weapons apart from a few benefit greatly from it (off the top of my head the only weapons who don't benefit as much) are Insect Glaive and maybe Switch Axe, more on that later), despite losing one or two basic moves and having only one equippable art. This is because under normal hunting conditions, Adept Style acts as a free HG Earplugs and gives you an incredibly lenient timing window to evade attacks (think MH4U's Evasion+3 but even more lenient, almost as long as the full dodge roll animation) while minimizing your DPS downtime through strong counterattacks despite the lenghty Perfect Evade animation (Perfect Block animations are very short in comparison, but the timing window is much tighter to trigger one). What this means is that, considering you have prior Monster Hunter experience, you can breeze through most of the game using Adept Style even when first-timing new monsters and effectively turning it into a not-so-Adept Style.

As mentionned earlier however, there are times where we didn't feel like Adept was a good deal. It ranges from Insect Glaive loss of its crucial Kinsect Recall command (at least not before performing a Perfect Evade) which means you cannot get your buffs as easily as before, to Switch Axe which, while not really suffering from any major loss of basic moves, just benefit a lot more from using Guild or Striker style, allowing for 100% damage buff uptime through a combination of Arts.
There are also monsters who punish you for performing Perfect Moves, such as Rajang and some Deviant monsters, basically any monsters possessing multi-hits moves with long reach which requires you to evade quickly and repeatedly (i.e. Rajang's spinning air slam attack).

The other styles are also viable despite their downsides compared to the Adept Style depending on the weapon used since they come with their own many pros, but some styles are simply worse than some others. I will be taking the Bow and the GS as examples, two weapons that I am at least okay with, to write a short analysis for. The Bow's Adept style removes its backhop in favor of the normal dodge roll and the ability to perform perfect evade, along with its Arc Shot which funnily is quite a huge buff because it is replaced by the mighty Power Shot (MH4U's Seregios Bow special shot). However Guild Style is also viable if you don't mind not being able to Power Shot anytime you want. It gives you the newly added mechanic of the Backroll Charged Shot and enables 2 Arts to be equipped at the same time which allows for more flexibility in your hunts. Striker Style has relatively limited use, being a worse Guild Style despite having 3 equippable Arts (apart from the two evade Arts, really only the Bow-specific Haste Rain is a relevant Art) at the same time, as it loses the Power Shot. Aerial Style is complete rubbish however, as Boost Jump attacks deal peanut levels of damage and you should not be at point blank range from the monster anyway, not to mention the loss of Power Shot. Being able to mount a monster does not make up for what it loses, especially considering the mounting nerf in MHGen.

GS is one of the few weapons to have all of its 4 styles situationally useful. Guild Style is a beast as it always had been in previous games, with the added benefit of having 2 Arts. Adept Style is a solid choice for monsters possessing lenghty beam attacks or long recovery animations (Agnaktor lava-beam, Duramboros jump slam, etc...) giving you plenty of time to freely hit their weak spots. It loses its forward strong charge, but it is hardly used even in Guild-style due to the high opportunity cost and long recovery animation. Striker style is also strong, having access to 3 Arts and minimal move losses since it still has the key normal charge attack. Not to mention a buff on its super-strong charge attack Art by reducing its charge time (not the art gauge, but the actual charge animation, I am not sure whether all of the other weapons have some kind of buff on their Arts with Striker style). Aerial Style is the most situational one : it loses the normal level 3 charge for a level 2 charge when grounded, but using a Boost Jump allows for a really fast level 3 charge and can be used to hit otherwise difficult to reach weak spots (Duramboros' back). It is however not easy to be accurate with Aerial level 3 charges even when a monster is downed.

Now I am making it sound like Aerial Style is the worst/most situational style to use but it really depends on the weapon you use and the monster you are facing. I've seen plenty of people doing just fine to pretty good with stuff like Aerial SA, DB, and IG (that jumping distance doe) and it is arguably the most skill-intensive style since it has basically two, although short, iframes windows (1st on the end of the frontflip animation, when the hunter is ready to jump onto an object, and the 2nd same as your regular dodgeroll) and you can use it for the same purposes as Adept-style (counterattacks) minus its longass animation.

Capcom came up with a lot of neat ideas with these styles but they unfortunately not very well balanced between each others for your normal hunting runs. Things might be different in a speedrun setting (MH4U's Hame runs anyone?) so we might see some styles other than Adept shine but otherwise I feel that Adept style is really often the style to go in order to hunt efficiently and it's a shame, especially considering its ease of use (granted, Adept blocking weapons is definitely harder to use due to the tighter window, but usually have more rewarding counterattacks moves).

That pretty much covers what I wanted to say about the styles. Next up is the degree of customization of MHGen in comparison to MH4U. I really do have mixed feelings here because while choosing a Style and Arts to use play a major part in the player's experience, equipment crafting was made much more straightforward. I don't mean the changes they've made when you want to upgrade your weapon or armor, but rather the freedom of armor mixing pretty much gone from the game. While MH4U allowed for an insane amount of possibilities in terms of making custom armor sets and getting the skills you wanted at all stages of the game (and I am not talking about the holy trinity of Honed Blade / Challenger +2 / whatever skill was core for your weapon), MHGen is being very shy regarding the amount of free slots available on any piece of gear as far as non-Elder Dragons armor sets go. I went from low rank Ludroth set, to low rank Rathalos set, to high rank Ceanataur set, to currently the high rank S.Magala set, and the amount of free slots ranged from 2 to 3, to a whopping 7 slots for the S.Magala set. Furthermore, unlike in MH4U, I didn't see any piece of armor granting some points towards a skill that would not be activated with the entire set (i.e. Iirc some pieces of the high rank Gore set gave points towards Sharpness +1 without activating it). While I have not yet unlocked and beaten the end game bosses (basically high rank Elders), I doubt there is enough material to come up with good armor mixes, assuming they all get at least as many slots as the S.Magala set. And let's not talk about how talismans took a huge nerfbat hit in comparison to 4U.

Now there are also the Deviants armor sets which are mighty powerful late in the game when their unique skills unlock, and while none of them have any free slots (I don't think they have any?) they might be key to armor mixing considering you can get talismans with those unique skill points. I have not yet digged too deep in that area but it is worth knowing more about. Anyhow I think it's a shame that Capcom is apparently forcing full sets upon us instead of being open to armor mixing like they were before. Then again they might have hidden the potential of armor mixing rather well but until MHGen's AASS is updated and bug-fixed I have no way of figuring out how things will turn out to be.

Until then I'm just going to beat my way up to unlocking the HR7 limit and see for myself when I get to hunt down the biggest monsters, not to mention I still have many Deviants to take down as well.

Okay I am not sure why I wrote this much in the end, but here's the tl;dr anyway :

- Adept style is arguably the most useful style.
- Styles are far from being perfectly balanced.
- Player customization took a huge hit with the possible lack of armor mixing.

This is only my opinion on the game so far and by no means I am saying that the game is bad, but I am highlighting the seemingly biggest issues I've come across so far. I realize MHX/Gen is basically a really big sandbox/testing grounds for Capcom to see what new features they are going to keep or change for future games, but it does not change the fact that there is a lot of room for improvement. I am still going to grind the shit out of it as an avid MH fan, and the amount of quests available is through the roof, so much that it's sure to keep me playing for at least a couple hundred more hours.
-Maus-
Everyone keeps worshipping Adept style and I'm just gonna sit here with muh Striker HBG thank you very much
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I'm having too much fun as an Adept LBG user, so... *shrugs*
PyaKura
Same with Adept Bow. Also I only got to know now how Power Coatings are strong. Lv1 is 35% raw increase, Lv2 is 50%. I kept using them naturally but I was not aware of the exact numbers lol

Edit : I've hunted exactly 25 Drilltusks in a row in a single session today in order to help my brother. Currently Lv7 Permit, so at the very least there are still 9 to go for maxing out the armor set (3 hunts to get enough tickets to upgrade the whole set, and the weapon if needed). So far that means we've gone through 31 monsters downed, not counting the initial runs needed to gather the first materials to craft the armor. Nice end game grindfest right there, but that's MonHun enough and I love it. And Drilltusk is among the easiest of the Deviants, I can't wait to get my butt kicked around by, say, the Dreadqueen lol.
mizuki-chan
monster hunter is far too easy nowadays
old monster hunter games are still the best... frontier is skill ok tho
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
It's probably easier because we're used to attack patterns, even if new monsters are added.
EneT

Blazevoir wrote:

It's probably easier because we're used to attack patterns, even if new monsters are added.
There are several reason's why Monster Hunter has become much easier in comparison to how it was back in MH1.

One reason is that they've removed/improved 'old monster tendencies'; Monsters used to randomly tail whip or charge with no preemptive signal. Like one second you just have a Rathalos just standing there then suddenly it goes into a full blown charge. Stuff like that doesn't happen anymore.

Second reason is that damage taken has been severely decreased. The first Yian Garuga you faced in MH1 and MHF1 used to be able to one shot you with nearly any of it's moves. The tail smash of an enraged Narugakuruga in MHFU was a one shot; the water spit of a Plesioth in MH1 and MHF1 was a one shot and it's body slam did nearly as much damage.

Third reason is better hitboxes. The hitboxes in previous games, especially MHFU was atrocious but that's what also made MHFU the elitist game of the series that difficulty enthusiasts loved since small mistakes were punished hard. This was the time where 'skillful' montage videos became popular in the MH community where you'd see people start posting cool lvl 3 charges with a GS against a running Tigrex and other things or no armor, no damage taken HBG solos against G-rank monsters.

Fourth reason is that gameplay has become a lot more diverse. With each new generation of MH they add new things, new moves. Charging on GS never existed in 1st generation; rapid fire didn't exist for LBGs and certain weapons didn't exist.

Fifth reason is that they balanced the game so that you do more damage. They wanted to decrease the time taken to kill a monster so they've increased the damage of weapons and removed some resistances from monsters. Weapons bounce a lot less compared to older games.

Sixth reason, Felynes...

Final reason is that they have made the game more easy through the ability to go multiplayer. Back in 1st gen and 2nd gen, the series was heavily notorious for it's difficulty and back then it was mainly a PSP game making it a really hard game to have online multiplayer options. Because of this, despite being marketed as a multiplayer game, it was mainly a solo game. In the days of MHF1, MHF2 and MHF, people played it for the difficulty, people bought the game because they wanted to prove to themselves or other people that they could finish it solo. MHFU for example was a 300+ hour PSP game and only around 10-20% of the people that bought it could actually finish it solo. Those people were the kind of consumer base the series had at the time, elitists and I'm not even going to lie, I'm one of them. But because of this, it made the series harder for newer people to pick up so Capcom decided to fix their issues and make the multiplayer actually viable to play by moving the game into a more suitable console and here we are now.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Which is probably why they stopped making Sony Monster Hunter games, I'm assuming.

And yes, Palicoes are very broken on here if it has the right support moves and skills (Big Boomerang, Pierce Boomerang, and Boomerang Pro at minimum).
EneT
They kill the experience for me so I just never use them. I feel like it abuses the monster's AI by making it constantly change aggro and I like to learn everything about a monster through my own experience. Back then, people could predict the exact hit that would stagger the enemy, the exact time frame and exact angle you could dodge a move that would normally seem un-dodgeable and abuse it to be able to do a lvl 3 GS charge where it would normally seem impossible and all of that was possible because people took their time to learn everything about a monster through their own solo experiences.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Err... I meant if you played as them (Prowler)...
PyaKura
If you're actually playing solo I find Palicoes to be a real hassle since you never know what the monster is really going to do next. Hunting alone (as in your hunter only) is much more preferable to get better hunting times, assuming you are proficient with the weapon you use and have knowledge of the monster. All the little bonuses the Palicoes provide are outweighed by high player skill. Even nowadays every single solo speedruns is 1 Hunter / no Palico, so core MH players skills such as prediction and damage calc on the fly is still very much a thing, which tends to disappear in multiplayer due to the randomness of aggro switching and lag. Instead it leaves its place to occasional teamplay or group lockdown runs, which also require knowledge of the mechanics of the game, but is much more plannified and leaves no room for unknown factors.

I think MH4U's end game's difficulty is on par with MHFU's, if not harder. Annoying hitboxes are definitely gone, but downing 2 Apex Rajang on a level 140 quest alone is definitely no small feat compared to whatever challenge previous games had in store. At least I most likely can't do it (and that's coming from someone with nearly 2000 hours over every MH games I've played), and I don't think 10 to 20% of all players can do it, I'd go as far as to say under 1% of the playerbase is skilled enough to pull that off.

Btw the Raths and the likes still have their no-tells charges / tailspins for whatever reason Capcom had as far as 4U goes. Happens much less in Generations (well, surprise tailspins are still pretty common), if at all, however they also spend much more time airborne.

Speaking of which, Generations is kind of a wild card in the series. Capcom used this game to throw in a lot of ideas which would not have made much sense in a direct sequel to 4U. I think it was a good move from them to create this "side" game to test a crapton of new mechanics on a large scale to eventually sort out what to keep and to balance for the actual next "main" game (MH5?).
show more