forum

Monster Hunter series - help, showcases, & more!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Critical Dude
I have just realised that I am not very good with teamwork in multiplayer games (excluding worms). I have never played a Monster Hunter game with anyone else so I have no idea what to expect for this.
Azure_Kite
Depending on the weapon you choose, you will have to learn what combos to avoid around your friends, as certain combos have a tendency to send your nearby allies flying into the air (non damaging, but stops them attacking). Be aware of your teammate's positioning relative to your own, and you shouldn't run astray. It's sometimes nice to bring along some lifepowders to help heal your allies, though.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Also, if you're a HBG/LBG user, DO -NOT- USE PELLET SHOTS OF ANY KIND! This actually extends to Recovery Shots as well, as you can actually heal bosses this way. If you feel like you NEED to heal others using them, make sure both/all of you are decently far away from the boss while also pointing away from it.

EDIT: As we wait on MH4U, have an... intersting crossover involving another MonHan game:

NotEvenDoomMusic
Just bumpin this up

Off-topic:
Don't wanna sound Nintendo fanboyish here but this year has been really big for Nintendo with the Wii U finally getting a good amount of games that shows it's qualities and the 3DS getting pumped with goodies.

I usually don't hype for companies but since E3, they've been doing an amazing job with satisfying their customers/fanbase.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
More crossovers:

This is also apparently a series they have on their official YouTube channel (turn on Captions!):

Fatax
I can barely wait for MH4 to come out, I'm always getting way too excited about new releases .
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Costume Hunter 4 Ultimate confirmed:

Pamarduk
Osu has a lot of blademasters...
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Probably because Gunners are weaker defense-wise, but I enjoy playing them depending on the boss.
Pamarduk
Also probably because they're more beginner-friendly. I myself was a BM-only hunter until later in MHFU's deadly G-rank, where I started using heroics bowgun.

Dual Black Blos is BS >_>
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Not really sure if I agree with Gunners being beginner-friendly...

1) They have to keep buying ammo/coatings (at least to finish some monsters fast enough, even moreso for LBG/HBG users), which gets pretty expensive in the long run.
2) Again, they have weaker defense (which means they're more likely to die quicker).
3) Shots need to be close enough to deal noticeable damage.

On the upside, the specialized shots/coatings are guaranteed to build up status conditions as opposed to Blademasters' weapons causing a random chance. I guess what I only see as Gunners being beginner-friendly is that they (obviously) can pick off monsters at a distance, but then point #3 still applies, so... *shrugs*

In my opinion, anything that has a shield is probably something new players can get used to right away.
Pamarduk
Oh whoops, sorry, by "they" I meant BM <_<;

I agree with all your points. Gunner's low def also means the hunter have to master the art of Evading to truly be safe when attacking close-range. Unless they don't mind repeatedly sheathing and unsheathing, which is a pain against some rage modes.

probably the most beginner-friendly weps are LS and SnS, and to an extent, SA. looks like the INsect Glaive and the new axe is also becoming this, too (4U added some fixes and new moves to the axe, IIRC?).
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Pamarduk wrote:

Gunner's low def also means the hunter have to master the art of Evading to truly be safe when attacking close-range. Unless they don't mind repeatedly sheathing and unsheathing, which is a pain against some rage modes.
That's what Nargacuga's armor set is for :P
Pamarduk
Lol yeah. Successfully evading an attack right in front of you feels satisfying as hell :D
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Interesting article concerning MH4U's localisation and more: http://www.capcom-unity.com/reno/blog/2015/01/07/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-localization-the-sacred-cow

(Heh... I also had trouble with the duo 'dios.)
Critical Dude
I'm not looking forward to the endgame boss in MH4U, spoiled myself with YouTube.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Endgame bosses usually suck in general (solo, anyway), so eh...
Ava
Okay so I'm playing MHFU atm (I know it's a bit late to play it) and know getting stuck at HR quests due to my either low def or low atk power. So what should I do first?

1. Get a new gun (either LBG or HBG, I can use both)
2. Get a new blade (I can only use LS)
3. Get a new armor set

Pamarduk
Get better BM armor. Black Katana Mk.3 is decent enough to slash through the thing. You might wanna train with other BM weps too, like Hammer or something. Onslaught Hammer makes quick work of everything in HR.

If you're good with Gunning, then yeah, get a better gun. and if you're honestly REALLY good at gunning (which means dodging while shooting and all that), focus on HBG, it can become broken with the correct skill set.

what rank are you?
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
MH4U (as well as the new3DS models, including a MH4U bundle) is confirmed to come out February 13, 2015 (at least for North America). Also, the demo is said to have local AND online multiplayer compatibility!
Doodle99
Any demo code? ; ;
Ceph23
Damned monster hunter, switching to Nintendo consoles and shit.
The PSP monster hunter will always have a special place in my heart.

I don't understand why monster hunter decided to be a Nintendo title. I would of loved to see these big ass monsters alive in the PS4.
Imagine the Lao Shan Lung in the current graphics of that console. Eyegasms.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I remember Capcom saying something about not caring about their graphics for the MonHan games, so...

Anyway, is the demo really gonna be released the same way as the Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire demo? ._.
Doodle99

Blazevoir wrote:

I remember Capcom saying something about not caring about their graphics for the MonHan games, so...

Anyway, is the demo really gonna be released the same way as the Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire demo? ._.
yes, with codes. I already got one

but the demo is only in EU
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Wait, what? I swear the North America Direct said there was gonna be a demo over here, too...

EDIT: Preordered the MH4U bundle. Gonna be delivered to my house on my birthday, so I'm extremely happy now \o/

EDIT 2: North America will also get codes, but it's unknown as to when.
Critical Dude
Unfortunately I won't be getting the game until after February and I won't be getting the N3DS until after April.
But I really don't mind after seeing the prices.

I can't believe I got so excited over receiving the demo download code, I might try it out tonight.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
The codes are now being distributed in North America \o/
HighKing

Blazevoir wrote:

The codes are now being distributed in North America \o/
Best news ever! :D
Super excited for MHU4! I still need to pre-order that New 3DS XL bundle with it.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Good luck... When I went to preorder mine, they ran out of the Majora's Mask n3DS XL bundle, and MH4U was following up on that...

EDIT: Good grief Gore Magala is insane... I don't know if I should take up LBG first (keep my distance from Frenzy Virus but risk dying faster if affected) or Gunlance (always at risk of Frenzy but able to shield from attacks)...
Ciunek
Is it possible for anyone to spare me an EU demo code? Always missing on the cool stuff ;_;
Nevermind, friend got me one

Ceph23 wrote:

Damned monster hunter, switching to Nintendo consoles and shit.
The PSP monster hunter will always have a special place in my heart.

I don't understand why monster hunter decided to be a Nintendo title. I would of loved to see these big ass monsters alive in the PS4.
Imagine the Lao Shan Lung in the current graphics of that console. Eyegasms.
IIRC there was some drama between Monhan team and Sony, resulting in abandoning the platform(s).
Critical Dude
Defeated the Gore Magala with ease, it's harder to fight it online if people fail to cooperate (language barriers shouldn't really hold you back).
I have to get this game before getting anything else, I'll buy it as soon as it comes out!

Quick Notes:
- Frenzy Virus is my friend :]
- I have only learned one new weapon: the Insect Glaive
- Long Sword ftw :]
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Critical Dude

Blazevoir wrote:

http://nintendoeverything.com/gamestop-sells-out-of-monster-hunter-4-ultimate-new-3ds-xl-bundle/
I definitely don't see myself getting the N3DS in any bundles or even by itself this year. *Needz moar munny*
I just hope they'll allow normal 3DS players to interact with N3DS players in MH4U online.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Critical Dude wrote:

I just hope they'll allow normal 3DS players to interact with N3DS players in MH4U online.
It's all within the same family. The only benefits n3DS users will get are not needing a Circle Pad Pro (obviously), faster loading speeds and the system not needing to restart after closing the game (yes, it suffers the same fate as Super Smash Bros. 3DS), and improved framerates (particularly over the crowded areas).
Ciunek
Tried out (and killed) all the monsters in the game. As long as you get used to camera locking on mosters it's super fun, I'm sold. Monhan's gonna steal my evenings again, send help.
Still need to try Insect Glaive and Charge Blade, but I'll probably stick to Greatsword in the end again.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Critical Dude
I wonder if the DLC will be free...
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
If it's anything like MH3U's system, then probably.
ztrot
Blade master for life I got to G rank hr 44 or something in MH3U so i can only imagine how fast or how long it will take me to climb the new ladder.
Critical Dude
Time feels really slow right now ;_;
I'm so desperate to get the game, I've been playing the demo so often. May as well buy Rune Factory 4 to play with in the meantime.
show more