forum

Monster Hunter series - help, showcases, & more!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Critical Dude wrote:

- I can handle the game (well the demo for now) without it unless there is a quest that consists of two Plesioths that you have to fight underwater then I'll ragequit :')
Unfortunately, those kind of quests exists:

- Two underwater bosses (not necesarily two Plesioth, but that DOES exist as a quest)
- Two bosses, one land boss and one underwater boss
- THREE of the same boss, some of which... well... you can probably guess where this is going.

EDIT: As much as I love using LBG's, cutting off some monsters' tails is a pain solo ._. (And I don't wanna switch to Bow/HBG...)
Critical Dude
I knew that those quests would make a comeback....
I've finally bought the game! I'm doing well so far without the circle pad pro but when it comes to the harder quests... welp!
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I suppose a tip that could PROBABLY help during underwater fights: target the monster then press L to swing the camera to them (if your Options are set that way).

EDIT: Just got my HR cap removed thanks to a Monster Hunter Skype group \o/
Critical Dude
I've quickly adapted to the controls (thanks to playing MHFU on my PSP) and the camera (which is really easy to handle even underwater).
Weird things that happened so far when playing this game:
- Took me half of the quest time to find herbivore eggs for the "Herbivore eggs" delivery quest.
- When I went to the official guild (not the village one) and chose a quest that would make me fight the Qurupeco (HR1 btw) a Rathian suddenly appeared out of nowhere, luckily I could use the 'Trolling Rathian's strength to my advantage by making it attack the Qurupeco instead of me. However it suddenly did this pinning move on me which I've never seen before and I thought I was supposed to press any button to get it off but then I thought about moving the left analog stick in circles (which was the right thing to do) but I was too late. That Rathian ended up appearing in most of the zones where the Qurupeco was ;_;
Azure_Kite
The Qurupeco's call is dangerous, so when it's calling it's best to try and stun it, if you can. This prevents a Rathian or later on, a Deviljho from spawning.

They generally make the fights harder to win in, than help at all. I'd recommend bringing Dung bombs whenever you're fighting a peco. It lets you move one of the monsters away from the other.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Additionally, Dung Bombs can get monsters off of you if they pin you.
Critical Dude
Thanks for the info guys! I usually rely on my evading skills, seeing as I'm a long sword lover (I'm good with other weapons too except the lance and gunlance).
I'm already up to the Lagiagrus, I'm just getting the right armour and weapon to go head to head with it >:]
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
So I recently got into Gunlancing in hopes of cutting off tails waaaaaaaaaaay more easily... I wasn't expecting R+X to still be out of reach for some monsters ._. I know there's move+X or X+A, but still...
NotEvenDoomMusic
Oh this thread is still alive?

I have nothing to add here since i'm still villlager rank 6* and HR3 with 90 hours in.
I've actually gathered a lot of money for the time being (farming Nulberries and getting RP to sustain my farm), farmed quite a few low-tier monsters for all existing low tier armor & weapons (even though i don't use 70% of them).
I know i waste my time since later on i can get most of the stuff easier and much more powerful, but i have the tendency of being an partial completionist.

To cut it short, i've wasted quite some time for nothing "spectacular", but that game is built around that concept which is really good for me and the reason why i still play it after all those years, not actively but very occasionally.

Also, i found Kiranico to be one of the best sites to gather resources for your quests, monster data, items and basically everything you need to know.
It's like a database for everything existing in the MH3U universe.
Just in case new people are interested into joining the MH3U hype until MH4(U) will be released in the west.

and to give it an extra swing I also found a good chart for all weapon types in MH3(U)
It's quite large so i'll spoiler it

I'm currently maining a Long Sword and secondarily use Dual Swords.
Sometimes i switch to a Lance or Switch Axe, my least used type (and coincidentally i have more than any type of low-tier upgrades for) is the Great Sword.

But i'm not entirely fixed on just using or not using a specific type since the game is a giant rock-paper-scissors game that has dis/advantages respectively.
Though i can't stand using the ranged weapons because i suck at aiming and distancing to the perfect position to dish out maximum damage.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I know of Kiranico, but that chart you posted is definitely helpful. I'll edit that into the OP.

Also, I'll admit being a Gunner class means possible quicker deaths and having lower raw power, but at the same time I just like being able to pick off monsters from a (safe) distance.
NotEvenDoomMusic

Blazevoir wrote:

Also, I'll admit being a Gunner class means possible quicker deaths and having lower raw power, but at the same time I just like being able to pick off monsters from a (safe) distance.
And it's considerably harder to cut off tails as a Gunner.
But yeah, i do get the idea of why people like playing certain types of weapons, some are less popular and some are more.
The deciding factor is how "comfortable" you feel using a weapontype. I for an example like to be able to hit hard considerably fast and take the risk of getting hit, so i stick around with the Long Sword and Dual Swords.
Though overal, the best thing in MH is just the wide varriety of weapons that "doesn't completely suck".

Distance weapons lack of the "raw power" like you said but have the advantage of not stumbling other players thus not interrupting with their DPS and the additional bonus of attack large monsters without having to risk that it does an AoE nearby you.
Also depending on what type of distance weapon you play it comes with really nifty extras, like if you're using the bow, you can use a wide variety of coatings that can replace items like carrying around Paintballs etc. thus giving you more space for other items or just more room for high-level carvings.

Also, thanks for editing the OP.
I hope new people stumble upon MH (regardless if it's the very first or the latest ones) and enjoy slaying monsters.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

NotEvenDoomMusic wrote:

And it's considerably harder to cut off tails as a Gunner.
But yeah, i do get the idea of why people like playing certain types of weapons, some are less popular and some are more.
The deciding factor is how "comfortable" you feel using a weapontype. I for an example like to be able to hit hard considerably fast and take the risk of getting hit, so i stick around with the Long Sword and Dual Swords.
Though overal, the best thing in MH is just the wide varriety of weapons that "doesn't completely suck".

Distance weapons lack of the "raw power" like you said but have the advantage of not stumbling other players thus not interrupting with their DPS and the additional bonus of attack large monsters without having to risk that it does an AoE nearby you.
Also depending on what type of distance weapon you play it comes with really nifty extras, like if you're using the bow, you can use a wide variety of coatings that can replace items like carrying around Paintballs etc. thus giving you more space for other items or just more room for high-level carvings.

Also, thanks for editing the OP.
I hope new people stumble upon MH (regardless if it's the very first or the latest ones) and enjoy slaying monsters.
The whole tail issue was exactly why I went Gunlance :P

Anyway, definitely have to agree on the "being comfortable with a certain weapon" thing. I guess it's because I'm so used to being a ranger/supporter class in other games (usually an Archer or a Cleric) that I like using LBG's; I was actually disappointed that Bows don't have a scope mode like LBG's/HBG's (rather, something along the lines of The Legend of Zelda games).

And you're welcome :)
NotEvenDoomMusic
Oh, also i forgot to mention that iCEMANnoob is one of the more (if not, most) well known YouTuber when it comes to Monster Hunter.

I'll just leave a playlist here concerning tutorials and useful things around MH3U and even MH4 for the people here that already have that game:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3382C94AE3

It's a great series of videos to get into MH3U and has some really helpful tricks to obtain for example, certain items that are harder to gather than others.
I've subscribed to him for quite a while now.
He does tons of general hunting and does like for an example, MH4 weapon showcases aswell etc.

Again, just in case for people that aren't too far ahead with the game and need specific items to progress into their gameplay.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Anything else you forgot to mention? XD I don't mind changing the OP again, but at the same time I hate editing so much x.x

EDIT: Added a (why-didn't-I-make-this-sooner) poll.
NotEvenDoomMusic

Blazevoir wrote:

Anything else you forgot to mention? XD I don't mind changing the OP again, but at the same time I hate editing so much x.x
Okay if you put it that way, i'll add some minor things that might be helpful for newbies and experienced players alike:

MHPedia
- Just like Kiranico it's a database on things like Items, Armor, Droprates etc. but overly simplified and is displayed minimalisticly
- It's also very easy to pick and find what you need without other gimmicks.
- Great for beginners.

Monster Hunter Armor Generator
- It's an extensive page with details about all existing armors with lots of other additions.
- The page is also very useful for previous games of the MH3 series like the regular Tri, Portable 3rd, 3G and of course 3U. It recently also supports MH4

MHAG for Windows (external program)
- Offline database just like Kiranico and MHPedia that also comes with the bonus of an visual aid in terms of where monsters are vulnerable and which elements are strong on which bodypart.
- In addition of being an offline database, it literally covers almost EVERYTHING in terms of what you need to know.
- In my opinion more user friendly for experienced players.
- Can also be merged with Athena's Armor Set Search (can be found seperately but the program has an built in option to download it) that is capable of searching out the best armor & decorations if you specifically need a certain skill combination for your own purposes.
AASS will generate the armor set that you need, for an example if you need Quick Sheathe and Speed Sharpener, it will generate a "possible" armor solution.

There's also something called Athena's Charm Table, which is also an external program that lets you figure out which Charm Table your character is using.
It's very advanced and would only be for importance to the people who take their MH savegame very serious.
In laymans terms what it does and what a Charm Table is: (i'll try to explain it in my own words)
Every game you start has it's own Charm Table that you start with that is ranging up from 1 to 17, it's "quite" RNG (Random Number Generated) for casual players, but for experienced players can be manipulated by doing various things.
It's for importance to those that are very serious about getting the best possible equipment for their class, because a Charm Table represent the set amount and type of "Charms" you can receive.
Your character will be locked with that table of charms for the entire savegame until you start a new character.

I don't even know why i know all of this.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Amgsopro x.x
NotEvenDoomMusic

Blazevoir wrote:

Amgsopro x.x
Haha, i'm not really pro.

I just love to research a little bit more indepth when the game actually catches my attention.
Also you don't have to edit this into the OP, but very much obliged if you keep it in mind for later if people show up with more helpful links to add into the OP.

The method to acquire a specific charm (table) is called "Charm Sniping".
You actually have to go through some things even outside of your game, like changing your time and date to a specific amount and then send out your first fisher boat and get the first elaboration of the hunt, breaking it down to narrow down the Seed/RNG etc.

It sounds complex (and it partially is) so i think this will explain it a bit more thoroughly.

Here's a video tutorial about how to successfully set up your specific charm table:

While all of this sounds "charming" (i'll never do a pun again), to learn more about it, which is definitelly worth going through;
It's not worth starting your whole character anew again that you've built up on, especially if you've invested multiple hundrets of hours into it.

▼ TL;DR - The interesting part begins here ▼

But before starting of with bad news, let's actually break down how many charms there are in each table.
I can assume, every player that is relatively new to MH3 will see charms as "randomly generated" everytime but like i said before, each table has it's set amount of numbers AND abilities.

There's a total of 17 tables and each one of them has their own, some unique, charms:

Table 1 to 10, 13 and 14 all have 21.600 charms, while the remaining tables have the following numbers and are refered to "the cursed tables":
Table 11 and 15 only have 800 charms
Table 12, 16 and 17 will only have underwhelming 216 charms.

Here comes the bad news that i think you've already have read.
There are 5 tables that are bad, they also are considered one of the worst draws you can get because they wield no late/end game charms whatsoever.
Meaning: most of the charms lack slots for decorations, which limits your variety of equipment build and the overal "useful stats" of the charm itself.
Besides just the usefulness, if you were to have the worst 3 tables in the game, you'll only have a selection of one onehundredths of the total acquirable selection which makes charm hunting useless and actually not fun at to get.

To make matters even worse, when it comes to the 5 cursed tables... i can list all OOO slot charms appearing in that table within a small list:
PLEASE CHECK OUT THIS LINK FOR DESCRIPTIONS ON ALL SKILLS, USE CTRL + F or CMD + F TO SEARCH FOR THE SKILL NAME
T11 (Table 11) - 8
+2 Tenderizer, +5 Hunger
+2 Handicraft
+2 Dive Dist
+2 Hearing
+1 Pallet Up
+1 Rapid Fire
+5 Stam Recov, -2 Sharpness
+3 Fire Atk, -6 Water Res
T12 (Table 12) - 2
+3 Team Leader
+5 Team Player, -2 Rec Level
T15 (Table 15) - 8
+1 TeamLeader, +1 Flame Aura
+4 Thunder Atk
+3 Gloves Off
+3 Normal Up
+3 Evasion
+1 FreeElemnt, -1 Evade Dist
+1 Normal Up, -3 TeamLeader
+1 Crit Draw, -3 Dragon Atk
T16 (Table 16) - 0
THIS TABLE HAS NO 3 SLOTTED CHARMS
T17 (Table 17) - 1
+4 Dragon Atk

The actual selection begins in what you really "need".
While charms are useful early on, they will pretty much will be a deciding factor in your late and end game build.

Here's a second breakdown on the non-cursed tables if you're lucky that you haven't gotten yourself a cursed one:

T1: Has some good Blademaster and Gunner mix with decent stats and the most OOO slot charms of all tables, counting at 202 charms.
T2: Is pretty much like T1 with less stats and has no charms that can exceed T1's setup.
T3: Extremely versatile as it covers every corner but has tons of Evasion charms. It also has a +4 Handicraft OOO charm which is good to increase your weapons durability without sharpening every-so-often. Comes with the drawback of also having -3 Sharpness.
T4: Good for Blademasters. Has the most charms suited for Lancers, but also contains a +4 Handicraft OOO charm and is good for other Blademasters as well.
T5: Good Evasion Distance and Earplug charms, great for Switch Axe and Heavy Bowgun users. Most of the good charms are Dragon Talismans though, so grinding for them may be a chore.
T6: Leaning towards Blademasters. Has both +5 Handicraft OO and +4 Handicraft OOO. Contains great charms for Evasion and Awakening with other useful skills.
T7: Most plentiful in Evasion charms. If you want +2 Evasion regardless of your weapon, this table has good unique charms.
T8: Above average Evasion and Guard type charms, but slightly lacking in other areas. Its Dragon Talismans tend to be good.
T9: Somewhat geared towards Gunners. Has plenty of charms with a gunner skill combined with +10 Attack or +10 Expert. Does have excellent charms for Blademasters but its Handicraft charms are the worst of all tables.
T:10 Extremely good charms that combine Handicraft with another skill, such as [+5 Handicraft, +7 Free Element]. Is also plentiful in Edgemaster charms and probably gives the highest possible power with pretty much any Blademaster weapon. It does seem to be somewhat lacking in Good Evasion distance charms.
T13: No unique godly charm, but does have a wide variety of good charms in most areas.
T14: Slightly geared towards Blademasters. Many great charms such as [+4 Sharpness, +7 Free Element] and [+4 Handicraft, +10 Expert]. [+5 Rapid Fire, +10 Expert] is great for Light Gunners as well.

With that said, every "legitimate" table will wield it's own -very- powerful charms for costumization.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Added anyway :P
Critical Dude
What is Sliming by the way?
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
It's kinda like poison except an explosion happens sometime later instead of your health gradually draining. You can remove it with a Nullberry, have a certain armor skill on, or just keep rolling to get it off.

Monsters have a tolerance level to it just like any other status condition, but if you do enough slime attacks to them they'll get damaged from the explosions; it's also a way to break parts faster.
Azure_Kite

Rather looking forward to this. Hoping it gets a western release, but I doubt it.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
As usual, we're left out (for a very long time) <_<
NotEvenDoomMusic

Blazevoir wrote:

I would say "for probably a year and a half" but on a more realistic note... I agree with Azure_Kite that it's rather unlikely.

That games looks stunningly good with the CryEngine and i think it fits perfectly fine with the "Online" capabilities as Monster Hunter is 10x better when playing with multiple people.
But i doubt the majority of western people would appreciate that game as much as like, the asians or any MMO games that has been released yet so far.

Maybe it's too complex or requires a lot of patience in actually getting into the game for the general public.
But on the other hand, i see an abundance of people sticking to the Dark Souls franchise that haven't have played or have heard of Monster Hunter yet.
I mean they're completely different games but how the weapons have "weight" and purpose, you require heavy stamina/health management in combat and items that can give you bonuses (basically the rings can give you some sort of advantage and ofc the armor skills in MH) is actually similar.
The only thing that might not be the same is having PvP and that MH is a huge collectathon that requires tons of grinding for specific items, but that's under the limits of what those games are.
And to be fair on the second limitation, it's actually quite fun and not super-tedious grinding for a specific item if you do it with a friend or two as it requires teamwork to get things done.

I'll be over at a friends place over the weekend that is right now in a DS fever and let him play MH and have him evaluate if it might be something he would be willing to get into. I might come back with results and opinions.
If the audience is willing to pick up MH, maybe, just maybe things wouldn't go all-so-bitter with the western fans of MH when it comes to the whole franchise.

Oh and something not related to the topic but around the MH topic:
I found out i have the Charm Table 13, i actually feared i might gotten something really bad ;_;
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Oh yeah... I still need to check my Charm Table...
NotEvenDoomMusic

Blazevoir wrote:

Oh yeah... I still need to check my Charm Table...
I think i don't have to tell you that but just in case if you didn't knew.
The best way to check what kind of Table you have is just to search for any Rook or above Talisman that you posses in Athena's Charm Table.
If it shows up only one result, then the corresponding Table is the one you're stuck with, if it shows up your Talisman in multiple windows: repeat the process with another Talisman.
Critical Dude

Blazevoir wrote:

May as well get MH4U next year for the 3ds :P
Also thanks for the information on sliming!
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

NotEvenDoomMusic wrote:

I think i don't have to tell you that but just in case if you didn't knew.
The best way to check what kind of Table you have is just to search for any Rook or above Talisman that you posses in Athena's Charm Table.
If it shows up only one result, then the corresponding Table is the one you're stuck with, if it shows up your Talisman in multiple windows: repeat the process with another Talisman.
Actually, I didn't know. Thanks for the heads-up!

EDIT: I have Table 8.

Critical Dude wrote:

May as well get MH4U next year for the 3ds :P
Also thanks for the information on sliming!
Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Also, you're welcome o/
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
New MH4U trailer from this year's E3:

NotEvenDoomMusic

Blazevoir wrote:

New MH4U trailer from this year's E3:

That's a very nice trailer.

I actually am playing MH3U for the past few weeks non-stop and can't get enough from farming charms right now.
I think i've spoilered myself with some gameplay stuff but all in all MH4U looks really solid and i'm looking forward to play it with maybe some people here.

Too sad it won't be compatible with MH4G in terms of online multiplayer so we won't be able to play with japanese people and they're also isolated in their island.
Azure_Kite
Yeah, funnily enough I've been getting back into MH3U too. Gotten myself up to the Urgent HR6 quest, taking out two Brachy in the Tundra. I just have to get me a decent Water SwitchAxe before rushing into that :P
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Ugh... That quest was a nightmare for me the first three attempts... (Pretty sure I posted how bad I did before, too.)
Azure_Kite
I just completed it with 1 cart and 16:22 left on the clock. I was expecting it to be a tougher fight, but I think I overspec'd.

I took full Volvidon X, with the Inceadeus SA. A couple of Shock traps's worth of materials and some Mega Dash drinks. Those things are awesome for the Tundra, serving as essentially a hot drink with infinite stamina :P
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Hmm... I'll keep that in mind.

EDIT: They JUST finished showing MH4U footage. Waiting on a video for those who missed it.
Kurogamii
gotta change from 3DS to 3DS XL :>
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Here's the footage:

Azure_Kite
Double Brachys are no problem, but damned if I can beat that darn HR7 Diablos. He's just too large and his attacks extend from in front and behind with his tail at the same time D:
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
And this is why I'm glad I'm a LBG user :P
Azure_Kite
Sonic Bombs are beast. I brought some with me last time but he rarely dug around. This time, Diablos was digging like crazy, giving me free pitfalls for a lot of the battle.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
They seem to hate it when they're in rage mode; unless I'm just timing it wrong or something, you get attacked instead where the bomb was thrown at.
Azure_Kite
Yeah. Sonic Bombs only work well when not raging. You use Flash Bombs on them while raging so that they can't aim at you as well. Let them calm down, then rinse repeat with the sonic bombs :3
show more