forum

As a advancing player, should I do more 4K or 7K?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CephiCC
I like 4K a lot, and 7K just isn't as much fun as 4K. I want to improve as a player, is it better to get into 7K or go far with 4K?

My warmup is around ~250 BPM 4K, and my normal pace tends to be 175-200 BPM 4K.

Any and all advice is appreciated. (yes I've read other posts)

Shanks
Full Tablet
Play 4K if you want to specialize in 4K. 7K if you want to play 7K.
iydras
you will automatically improve as 4k player if you play 7k.......
Akihiro

Full Tablet wrote:

Play 4K if you want to specialize in 4K. 7K if you want to play 7K.
^

But also know that being comfortable with 7k will makes 5k and 6k easy to learn.
Cozzzy
7K, as long as you enjoy it. If you stick to 4K and become strong in it, then later decide to learn 7K, you'll just find it extremely frustrating having to play at such a low level again.
moni
if u play 7K :3 It'll make you can play 4k 5k 6k :D
Drace
why is 8k always completely out of the picture ;w;
Bobbias
Same reason people still think 4k is automatically easier than 7k.

Play what you want. Although someone said its easier to learn other key modes if you pick 7k, that's not entirely true. Playing more key modes makes it easier to learn to play others, because you will have go through the learning process multiple times. The more key modes you learn, the easier it becomes to learn a new one. Each key mode can present their own challenges. 4k relies heavily on finger speed, 7k is much more based on reading ability, 6k doesnt have the middle key to worry about, but has different patterns than you'd commonly see in 7k, 5k is much more cramped than 7k, so the patterns are sometimes similar, but it requires more finger speed than 7k.
Charles445
Stick with 7K in order to get good at reading. 4K, 5K, and 6K will come naturally.

After you get good at reading you can change to 4K whenever you want and focus on finger speed.

Don't start with 4K and go higher. Adding new columns is extremely difficult, but taking them away isn't.
Tear
What Charles said :3 It's pretty important, if you get good at 4K alone you'll never have the motivation to re-learn 7K from scratch.
[TIM]
Pick whatever mode you feel you would have the most fun playing... But imo I think learning 7k first helps pick up other key modes faster.
Tokiiwa
start with 8k instead
Empress
I'm not sure but I thinks the 4k pattern and the 7k pattern are waaaaaaaaaaaay different
PyaKura
@Hamar : They are lol.

Bobbias summed it up perfectly.

Just play what you like. If you don't find 7K as fun as 4K, then stick to 4K. Nobody will blame you for that lol. I'm mainly a 7K-player, but this doesn't help that much when playing difficult 4K charts. I can read them really easily, but I can't play them (well/at all) because of my lack of stamina and finger speed.
Aqo

Charles445 wrote:

Adding new columns is extremely difficult, but taking them away isn't.

Tokiiwa wrote:

start with 8k instead
Start with 7K+1 so that you learn to use thumb
milky228_old
Start with what you enjoy although there seems to be more songs exclusive to 4K than there are exclusive to 7K but there is more 7K beatmaps. Don't discount 5k though 5K rules!
Metalsnake27

milky228 wrote:

Start with what you enjoy although there seems to be more songs exclusive to 4K than there are exclusive to 7K but there is more 7K beatmaps. Don't discount 5k though 5K rules!
I can confirm that 5K is indeed awesome... but that's mostly me being used to DJMAX Online XD