forum

Spaced out while "clicking" circles

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
spongypuppet
Well, I'm quite bored so I decided to post something umm... utterly useless. I don't know if there's a rule about making threads like these in this section but anyway...

So I was playing osu! Played a few beatmaps repetitively (desperately trying to beat the my highest local score but unfortunately, most of the time I fail doing those maps; the maps are my chosen maps I decided to make my jump practice maps). Played a song, and I lost. Play it again, and I lost again. Then move on to another one of my beatmaps-that-I-play-repetitively, and I fail again. And finally, I managed to finish the map and... my local score was marked as 28th. The cycle continues (and actually, I went back to playing the previous map). I did feel sleepy at the time (well, after finishing a route at a certain VN, the feeling of sleepiness took over but I still decided to play osu! though). I didn't realized at some point that I had zoned out/spaced out. I kept playing, listening to the music. I was staring with a blank face at the screen with nothing in mind, literally. I was a bit (if there was a tiny bit of consciousness) conscious that I was playing. Then repeating the certain map a bunch of times, my mind rebooted... while playing (and I was at the middle part of the song, too). Then I think my reaction was like "What just happened?" as I vaguely recall what I felt. Also, my mind was kind of hazy. Actually, I think my mind was empty at the time.

Anyway, that's it! This just proves that sleeping (early) and resting is important.
DaddyCoolVipper
I actually remember playing a lot better when I was totally zoned out. I guess not focusing is easier than getting distracted ??
Topic Starter
spongypuppet
Maybe so. Sometimes, it's true for me, sometimes, it's not. But really, whenever I play a map, pressure builds up and I end up failing it. Actually, whenever I play a game to be accurate. My eyes were very tired so my eyelids were almost completely closed. I think I also had cloudy vision at the time so that's probably why I think I failed those? Well, even without the sleepiness I'd probably fail the maps.

But yeah, I do wonder why being zoned out improves performance in games.

.......zzZ
........ZzzzZZ
..........ZzzzZzzzZZZZ

(Sleepy...)
Lewder
My reading improves tenfold when I space out thinking about other things or completely nothing while playing osu!.
DaddyCoolVipper
I guess it's like being in a "zen" state.
mathexpert
brah i been in dat zen state smoke dat spinich chew dat cabbage sniff dat herrbb erryday yo fuckkkkkk im spaced out 4/20 of the dayyybroooooooooosssheeieeeeiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttt
Blaziken
My acc improves when I argue with someone.
DaddyCoolVipper

mathexpert wrote:

brah i been in dat zen state smoke dat spinich chew dat cabbage sniff dat herrbb erryday yo fuckkkkkk im spaced out 4/20 of the dayyybroooooooooosssheeieeeeiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttt

stop weed

sotp it's ruining your family methste
Yoeri
It's impossible to play EZ mod when you're actually focusing.
Vish024

spongypuppet wrote:

I don't know if there's a rule about making threads like these in this section but anyway...
Bahaha you clever cunt you.
piruchan
You didn't space out.

You were in a condition called osu!trance. It's quite a rare phenomenon and no official recordings exist.
It happens when the holy spirit of osu! take over your body and do what it does best.

Do note that the holy spirit of osu! doesn't choose people, it takes over anyone it feels like taking over. I-it's not like you're special or anything!

:D
Topic Starter
spongypuppet

piruchan wrote:

You didn't space out.

You were in a condition called osu!trance. It's quite a rare phenomenon and no official recordings exist.
It happens when the holy spirit of osu! take over your body and do what it does best.

Do note that the holy spirit of osu! doesn't choose people, it takes over anyone it feels like taking over. I-it's not like you're special or anything!

:D
I see... In that case...

*Plays some beatmaps in hopes of being in the state of osu!trance again*

Didn't work, :cry:
(Then that means... I'm not special? :( :( :( )

*Walks away*

Quest Completed!
osu!trance added to your memoir.
B1rd
Sometimes when I'm focusing on something for a long time this wierd thing happens where my vision feels like it zooms in, and small objects like osu circles or words seem massive and take up all my vision..

And I have actually been so focused on Osu beatmap that I've forgoten to blink, I only realise after my eyes start hurting.
Bweh
Here, have the Something-Dreyfus skill progression model chart

MarioBound
If you feel zoned out, then just:
1. Stop playing osu!
2. Live life to the fullest. EXERCISE!
thelewa

Brian OA wrote:

according to this I'm a master

yay
Bweh
According to the paper on skill by Whatshisface and Dreyfus, it takes like 5 or 10 years to master a skill.

I'm sure it also mentioned that "Expert" is the highest attainable level. Absorbed awareness only happens in random sessions where you almost unconsciously carry out your actions, allowing you your performance to climb higher than what it usually is.
thelewa
yeah that's how I play osu!

more specifically that's how I do accuracy

realtalk though obviously being actually absorbed in a game is something unattainable I mean if you think about other things while playing then you're not absorbed, absorbed would be like your mind is empty and you're not thinking about anything at all and just doing the thing
Lewder
according to the graph im a master but i still suck

time to uninstall life
Bweh

thelewa wrote:

realtalk though obviously being actually absorbed in a game is something unattainable I mean if you think about other things while playing then you're not absorbed, absorbed would be like your mind is empty and you're not thinking about anything at all and just doing the thing
That could at least happen in short, random bouts, I'd say. Like, sometimes I'll get scores without realizing I'm halfway there, same goes for some drawings and papers. Then I'll realize what the hell I'm doing and fuck it up somehow, but yeah.
Topic Starter
spongypuppet

MarioBound wrote:

1. Stop playing osu!
Sorry, can't.

Brian OA wrote:

Cool chart.

B1rd wrote:

Sometimes when I'm focusing on something for a long time this wierd thing happens where my vision feels like it zooms in, and small objects like osu circles or words seem massive and take up all my vision..

And I have actually been so focused on Osu beatmap that I've forgoten to blink, I only realise after my eyes start hurting.
Same.

thelewa wrote:

Corin
I actually play amazingly when that happens. Usually manage to S and SS stuff.

MarioBound wrote:

1. Stop playing osu!
Why? It gives me time to think and it means you feel comfortable .
leepdesu

Corin wrote:

MarioBound wrote:

1. Stop playing osu!
Why? It gives me time to think and it means you feel comfortable .

Unless you injure your hand while exercising :D
loldcraft

Corin wrote:

That actually works for me, until i snap back and realize my 500+ combo, and not only break. fail the whole song.
back in the old days when the blue combo flame was around it happened every time till i got used to it.