forum

Mechanical Keyboard

posted
Total Posts
show more
Arnold0
I personnaly have the corsair k70 and it's really good. It's my 1st mech and I took it without even testing a mech before, with brown keys. It really looks like solid (but it's not shock resistant since it's aluminum)and is really nice to look at. The volume scrol is really useful for me, I can up the sound without even leaving osu!. Having LEDs is really useful for typing in the dark unless you know your kb by heart which is not my case. For the switch since I bottom out almost (if not completely) all the time, they are pretty noisy but idk what kind of noise it makes on other kb. (I have it since less than 3 weeks so I can't really say something interesting sorry :< )
The only problem I have is when I tilt mine I can hear something like a screw moving inside :<
Arcanine
Blues or browns. If you really like stiffer keyboards, get blacks. I've tried blues, blacks, and reds but reds aren't really worth imo. Blues, browns, and blacks are pretty good for everything. Reds seem too light, but if you really like to stream then go for it.
Topic Starter
LetsFailNoob
And how long do you already own your keyboard?
iderekmc

LetsFailNoob wrote:

Which one would be the best for Osu!
And If you have one I want to know which Mech Keyboard (Switches) you are using, and what you think about them.
Because I am going to buy a new Keyboard and I am struggling between the K70 (Blue) and the K95(Red) or even K70 (Brown)
u can get a red k70 i think
NotCookie_old

iderekmc wrote:

LetsFailNoob wrote:

Which one would be the best for Osu!
And If you have one I want to know which Mech Keyboard (Switches) you are using, and what you think about them.
Because I am going to buy a new Keyboard and I am struggling between the K70 (Blue) and the K95(Red) or even K70 (Brown)
u can get a red k70 i think
I have a red k70
Soarezi
get qpad-mk50
Defacer
­
NotCookie_old

Defacer wrote:

the general opinion is that blues are the perfect for typing

well, i have blues blackwidow and it's the worst keyboard to write I have EVER used.Really hoping to be just because Razer sucks but I can see the switch in general is shit(it's the worst for osu! too!).

Although it's preference, can ANYBODY really enjoy writing on blue swtiches? seriously....

ps: the tactile feedback + accuracy thing is bullshit, what is hitsound?
Razer blackwidow blues are different to any other blue switch. Anyone who has used a real mech with blue switches will tell you that blackwidows feel horrible.
Espionage724

LetsFailNoob wrote:

I acutally really like it.
I could also imagine that the click might be helpfull staying in time. (I hope I wrote that right)
But really thank you for your help!
Just one more question, would you buy a K70 or a different keyboard lika a CM one.
It depends on how well you can take notice of the clicks, and also realizing how bottoming-out works.

With blues, the key registers about half-way during the key press, and makes a subtle click. Then you get a louder sound when you bottom out. If you bottom-out frequently when using a mech keyboard (which I heard is common when gaming or switching from rubber dome to mech), you likely don't want to base your timings off the bottom-out sound, which can be a bit tricky at first unless you really pay attention.

I don't use my mech keyboard to play osu! all that much nowadays, but I still haven't really gotten used to it (I time beats to when the key hits the keyboard, and not the actual half-way register; I notice accuracy issues with streams most of the time). Used to use a rubber dome keyboard exclusively.

As for a K70 or CM, I'd choose CM, but that's mainly just based off of what information I've heard that I can't really recall exactly 8-) I believe it had something to do with CM using some higher-quality company to build the switches or the base or something, but I don't know (someone should be able to provide better info though).

Also, for a different suggestion for a key switch, could also try buckling springs found on an IBM Model M 8-) I kind of prefer that switch over blues, but the Model M is... huge (and lacks a Windows key). Perhaps a space saver from Unicomp would be perfect for me.
Caam
whats the difference between k95 and k70?
RaneFire

Nukes32 wrote:

whats the difference between k95 and k70?

Or a shitload of macro buttons.
Espionage724
Hmm, so I have an opportunity to either get a replacement blue switch keyboard, or a red switch keyboard (both CM Storm; my Z key currently only activates half the time). I'm using blue switches currently.

Reds sound like they would be interesting, but from what I hear, they have really light activation force? Can someone give a scenario where that might be a problem?
Full Tablet

Espionage724 wrote:

Reds sound like they would be interesting, but from what I hear, they have really light activation force? Can someone give a scenario where that might be a problem?
It makes typing uncomfortable if you aren't used to red switches.
RaneFire

Espionage724 wrote:

Hmm, so I have an opportunity to either get a replacement blue switch keyboard, or a red switch keyboard (both CM Storm; my Z key currently only activates half the time). I'm using blue switches currently.

Perhaps the question should be asked like this...

For people who had blue switch keyboards fro a long time, what was the change like... going from blues to red switches for osu!? (No www/cookiezi references pls)

Kind of interested myself.
encryptik

RaneFire wrote:

Espionage724 wrote:

Perhaps the question should be asked like this...

For people who had blue switch keyboards fro a long time, what was the change like... going from blues to red switches for osu!? (No www/cookiezi references pls)

Kind of interested myself.
Might not be applicable because I'm using Blacks now, but the difference was pretty massive on a high bpm stream map, actually did a bit of a test a few days ago.

Blacks are fairly similar to reds though (just a bit heavier)

Outlined the plays in which I was using blues, might be a mental thing but it seemed to make a massive difference for me?

GoldenWolf

encryptik wrote:

Outlined the plays in which I was using blues, might be a mental thing but it seemed to make a massive difference for me?

I think you were using blues wrong, if that's even possible
RaneFire

encryptik wrote:

Might not be applicable because I'm using Blacks now, but the difference was pretty massive on a high bpm stream map, actually did a bit of a test a few days ago.

Blacks are fairly similar to reds though (just a bit heavier)

Well I guess that would be a technique problem though, but I can see where you're going. Your technique suits a linear switch.

Do you even lift? :D

How about people who can play well on blues?
Dexus
I'd say go for pcb mounted at the least so you don't have to deal with soldering. It makes it much easier to swap out the switches so you can try a variety or replace broken ones.

Also I don't hear much talk about topre switches. I'm looking to get this just due to the form factor http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/
Defacer
­
encryptik
Consecutive runs (the 94% being on the next day), although I did start with blues and go to blacks, probably something to do with it... Although at any given time if I compare my streaming speed from blues to blacks there's a 10-20 bpm difference. Quite possibly the tapping style i'm using is much more suited to blacks.
Dexus
With blacks you mostly just have to focus on pressing down (Says lewa) so most anyone can get a speed boost from using it. Blues are kind of awkward for those that like to bottom out because you have to sit around that reset point and the tactile click can get in the way if you're lightly moving your fingers (So you got to focus on going up and down). Again I'm interested in topre switches because you have to bottom out and making contact with the bottom is what actuates it instead of a random point somewhere in the middle like the cherry switches.

For the time being I use blacks and I enjoy them more than any other switch just due to how solid they feel. Reds felt too light and I couldn't control my fingers as easily. Browns aren't really a bad choice, but something without a tactile feedback would be far more effective.
Defacer
­
Caam
my k70 cherry MX red finally arrived today and after playing a couple of rounds i have to say its 4 times better than my $10 keyboard and my laptop keyboard. its like you can stream forever without ever being tired and click even faster.my other keyboards I get tired after half way through a stream song and get a bunch of 50's and 100's but the k70 is just amazing.
buny

encryptik wrote:

Assuming you missed EVERY stream, the maximum accuracy you can get is 61.4%
To boost this accuracy to 70, you would need 157 100's; this isn't hard because there are 235 total circles that are included in the streams, and this doesn't even count getting the first note or the first few notes a 300, which would decrease the number of 100s needed even more.

Now theoretically if you under-streamed due to the switches "affecting" your stream speed/skill, say instead of the 220bpm you streamed with reds you streamed 180bpm with blues, you would hit on average 82% of the notes with 300s; this however is not the case because osu! won't register clicks for the notes that you wanted to hit until the note previously has either disappeared fully or hit.
I'm not sure where to find the exact OD values, but for you to hit 220 bpm, you need to register a keystroke every 68.2ms, and for 180bpm, you need to register a keystroke every 83.33ms, and the average stream length of the map is around 25, expecting to miss at least 40 notes.

Now say that at least 30 of these were 300s, (would be more in an actual play, because the first few notes of a stream will always be easier due to bursting) then you would only need 67 more 100s, out of 165 notes.

This of course assumes that you 100% everything non stream, though the same point would be proven even if you got something say 95%.

Therefore I conclude that you are riding red switches so hard that you began to tell yourself and act as if any other switches worsens your play dramatically, or you weren't under the same circumstances and got lucky.
I honestly doubt that any type of switches could dramatically change your stream skills by that much. Maybe a 10% difference, but a 25%? The map only has a moderate amount of streams.

You're obviously putting them in different scenarios.
encryptik
Assuming you missed EVERY stream, the maximum accuracy you can get is 61.4%
To boost this accuracy to 70, you would need 157 100's; this isn't hard because there are 235 total circles that are included in the streams, and this doesn't even count getting the first note or the first few notes a 300, which would decrease the number of 100s needed even more.

Now theoretically if you under-streamed due to the switches "affecting" your stream speed/skill, say instead of the 220bpm you streamed with reds you streamed 180bpm with blues, you would hit on average 82% of the notes with 300s; this however is not the case because osu! won't register clicks for the notes that you wanted to hit until the note previously has either disappeared fully or hit.
I'm not sure where to find the exact OD values, but for you to hit 220 bpm, you need to register a keystroke every 68.2ms, and for 180bpm, you need to register a keystroke every 83.33ms, and the average stream length of the map is around 25, expecting to miss at least 40 notes.

Now say that at least 30 of these were 300s, (would be more in an actual play, because the first few notes of a stream will always be easier due to bursting) then you would only need 67 more 100s, out of 165 notes.

This of course assumes that you 100% everything non stream, though the same point would be proven even if you got something say 95%.

Therefore I conclude that you are riding red switches so hard that you began to tell yourself and act as if any other switches worsens your play dramatically, or you weren't under the same circumstances and got lucky.
I honestly doubt that any type of switches could dramatically change your stream skills by that much. Maybe a 10% difference, but a 25%? The map only has a moderate amount of streams.

You're obviously putting them in different scenarios.[/quote]
As I said, there were placed in different scenarios. As the plays with blues were my first 3 attempts at the map, this doesn't change the point that I would get 100-50s after the first few notes of every stream with blues, it's entirely possible I wasn't use to them as well, as I hadn't used them for a few days prior to this.

By the was I wasn't using reds, as I said in my original post.