forum

Make all of the UI skin-able.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,372
Topic Starter
Ormr
So, I've noticed that a lot of the UI elements in osu! aren't skin-able.
And seeing as most of the UI in osu! is actually rendered using images, it wouldn't be hard to implement this, and it'd also be nice to be able to change most of the UI.
iWhorse

Suzuki wrote:

So, I've noticed that a lot of the UI elements in osu! aren't skin-able.
And seeing as most of the UI in osu! is actually rendered using images, it wouldn't be hard to implement this, and it'd also be nice to be able to change most of the UI.

don't have stars, but support the idea
deadbeat
it's nice having some parts left untouched though :<
darkmiz
can you specify which parts of the UI that you want to skin
Ethelon
It'd be cool to make some of the text info a little more graphical too or graphically upgraded (And subsequently skinnable).

For example on the top left during song selection where it says Length, BPM, Objects, Circles, Sliders, Spinners, CS, HP, AR, OD, and those stars that are cut off by the CS->OD. I think it'd be cool to make some of those into cool little icons (Maybe not the CS->OD, but Length, BPM.etc). Maybe that's such a small deal that it's not worth coding in, but I'd at least like to see the map rating stars positioned a little better and/or skinnable.

Also pardon my ignorance but are the icons to the left of the song name also skinnable (The heart and flame)?
Claveline
Something like this?

My Angel Kurisu

Claveline wrote:

Something like this?

YES
Korona
This is actually something I've wanted for a long time. If this gets implemented, we could make our skins far more coherent and consistent throughout, which I can see only being a good thing!

Take my stars!
Blueson
This would be awesome and could spawn some new innovation amongst skinners! :D
Xyrax Alaria
This would be cool to see! I would love to have a different main menu and song list look. Perhaps be able to change the location of some elements as well? that way we can change the menus to the extent of how they change them in Stepmania or Lunatic Rave 2?
sheela
Support. I can customize the song select menu.
Legxis
I've been wanting to be able to change the colour/appearance of the timebar/clock ingame for a while now, since it's really hard to see on some backgrounds and not everyone wants to use hard dim to be able to see how far they are into songs.
Skinning other elements would be great too, I'll see if I can think of anything more I'd love.
Topic Starter
Ormr

Legxis wrote:

I've been wanting to be able to change the colour of the timebar/clock ingame for a while now, since it's really hard to see on some backgrounds and not everyone wants to use hard dim to be able to see how far they are into songs.
Skinning other elements would be great too, I'll see if I can think of anything more I'd love.
Not sure, but the clock thing seems to be actually generated by the program itself.
However, it shouldn't be hard to make the colour and opacity of it changeable through the skin.ini

Over all, a more customizable UI would be ideal, and from my experience with making simple games and such in Java (Albeit, it's not the same programming language as osu! is made in, both of them are still OOP programming languages.) it really shouldn't be that hard to achieve this.
(Unless peppy somehow hardcoded most of the variables while making osu!)
QuestCube
Definitly support.

And it should be possible to just change the clock or the progress bar to a custom image, which will get cut, shouldn't it?
Topic Starter
Ormr

QuestCube wrote:

Definitly support.

And it should be possible to just change the clock or the progress bar to a custom image, which will get cut, shouldn't it?
That shouldn't be that hard, not sure how it works in C# or whatever osu! is made in, but there's a scissor method in OpenGL which does just that.
Flanster

deadbeat wrote:

Agreed.

A fair portion of the UI is customisable and is currently sufficient enough imo. The rest of it should be left alone as is, serving its purpose of presenting the game's graphical layout and appearance. No support.
Topic Starter
Ormr

LoliFlan wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

Agreed.

A fair portion of the UI is customisable and is currently sufficient enough imo. The rest of it should be left alone as is, serving its purpose of presenting the game's graphical layout and appearance. No support.
If you don't want those parts modified, you simply wouldn't need to modify them, tho.
deadbeat
that's not quite it. it's more so it's nice having parts untouched. i feel it'd be better having at least some parts of the game left default
Topic Starter
Ormr

deadbeat wrote:

that's not quite it. it's more so it's nice having parts untouched. i feel it'd be better having at least some parts of the game left default
While I can agree with the fact that it's always nice to have some stuff left default, some people don't like that.
And besides, just because a feature is available, doesn't mean that you need to use it.
If you want some parts to be left untouched, you could just let them be left untouched. ^^'
deadbeat
i think you're misunderstanding me \:D/
oh well, whatever. doesn't really matter what i say, unless this gets denied, i doubt you'll change your thought process on this matter
TheVileOne
If it makes the game more enjoyable to some people and there are no downsides, then why would a game developer not want to add it? A game is about having fun and generating a positive player experience. peppy should want to maximize that experience in anyway that he can. As an end user for a skin, we can always remove parts we don't like or we can decide not to use that skin to begin with and let those who appreciate it more enjoy it.

It cannot harm our playing experience, and it has the potential to enhance the experience of others, so I find little valid reasoning not to add this. Sure you can go ahead and argue that all players should be playing with an interface that resembles part of your work, but what does it matter how people enjoy your creation? Is it really that important to limit elements to just those that players will be most likely to skin?
Miles Eremita
I support this. We should have a main menu that can be customized by a skin. The reason being? Some people don't speak English, and the main menu is fully in English. A friend of mine made a custom UI for osu! and it looked really cool, it had Asuna from Sword Art Online posed on the Osu! big menu button and the other buttons for playing and editing were in Japanese. But an update took that away from us and we can no longer use the custom UIs, if we do, we're banned. If people don't want to change their UI, that's fine. I support a fully skin customization of the main menu, but if this eventually does get denied, at least make it so when you select a language like Japanese, the main menu buttons are in Japanese. That'd be really nice.
Chirimu-Chan

Miles Eremita wrote:

I support this. We should have a main menu that can be customized by a skin. The reason being? Some people don't speak English, and the main menu is fully in English. A friend of mine made a custom UI for osu! and it looked really cool, it had Asuna from Sword Art Online posed on the Osu! big menu button and the other buttons for playing and editing were in Japanese. But an update took that away from us and we can no longer use the custom UIs, if we do, we're banned. If people don't want to change their UI, that's fine. I support a fully skin customization of the main menu, but if this eventually does get denied, at least make it so when you select a language like Japanese, the main menu buttons are in Japanese. That'd be really nice.
If all menu-button-xxx.png and overlay-xxx.png would be skinnable, that would be possible.

It would be fine, if you could skin the user-bg.png and user-border.png files, so that we can make this matching our skins like this:
Cassia
Take my star c;
Shizuyi
I'm waiting fot this since long ago :D 5 Stars from me :P
Infeh
5 stars from me aswell! Totaly supporting this idea! :)
Bara-
As the older images don't work anymore, what elements is this applying to?
I'm fine with the song select (I kinda like it tbh), but please, Keep the Osu!Cookie unskinnable
Why? For the game itself
Why not!
show more