forum

Why do you get S for non-FC plays?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aqo
This has been bothering me for a while, is there any logical explanation to this?

osu is a comboing game and to S a map you need to full combo (except for slider breaks which doesn't really make sense). I can see the logic here.
mania is an accuracy game and you get S by simply meeting an accuracy cap. this also makes sense and S plays really feel consistent with play quality.

but why is it that in ctb you get S without FCing a map? correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CtB a comboing game? at the very least, that's how current difficulty calculation seems to interpret it. I don't even get what's the current conditions for getting S instead of A...
DeletedUser_500696

Aqo wrote:

This has been bothering me for a while, is there any logical explanation to this?

osu is a comboing game and to S a map you need to full combo (except for slider breaks which doesn't really make sense). I can see the logic here.
mania is an accuracy game and you get S by simply meeting an accuracy cap. this also makes sense and S plays really feel consistent with play quality.

but why is it that in ctb you get S without FCing a map? correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CtB a comboing game? at the very least, that's how current difficulty calculation seems to interpret it. I don't even get what's the current conditions for getting S instead of A...
You're right, ctb is just weird. It is a comboing game but your final rank depends on accuracy. You can even fc with a D if you'd like http://osu.ppy.sh/b/78339?m=2 :). Droplet misses count the same towards accuracy as a regular fruit although they barely affect score also, however the little ones don't affect your combo while the big droplets break it. In terms of your final ranking on a map it goes like this generally: combo+mods>spinners>droplets, but sometimes the three overlap on short, easier maps with spins.
VelperK
You should ask peppy.
As for "it should be this way..." I disagree and I think it's fine the way it is.
Kitokofox
Well, that's how it was set.
It wouldn't make sense to change it all of a sudden, now wouldn't it? :P
That would call for a mass update among a lot of scores and be very exhausting.
Ciyus Miapah
maybe first CTB has 100% in the beginning

you can have S rank if your acc is above 97%

CTB focused on accuracy i think
- Rii -
Why do you even bother about it?
autofanboy
just grab all the droplets like a bawz and you get ss

k problem solved
TheVileOne
I'm fully happy with how it is right now. I would have a lot more A ranks if it weren't based on accuracy. It's more satisfying to see an S instead of an A.

As to why it was done is anyone's guess. Perhaps he felt that 98% was good enough for an S as it should be in standard. Accuracy should be the main determinants as far as grades should be concerned. Unfortunately the way combos are calculated, it takes the focus away from accuracy. CTB system puts the focus back towards accuracy just a little bit.

I should ask him the next stream I catch.
WujekGrzyb

Aqo wrote:

osu is a comboing game and to S a map you need to full combo (except for slider breaks which doesn't really make sense).
I thought osu map rank is based on proportionality between number of 300-points clicks and number total circles.
EDIT: i am shocked after reading wiki :o
SS = 100% accuracy
S = Over 90% 300s, less than 1% 50s and no misses.
A = Over 80% 300s and no misses OR over 90% 300s.
B = Over 70% 300s and no misses OR over 80% 300s.
C = Over 60% 300s.
D = Anything else.
Anyway in ctb I have too many A grades xd
Valseem_old
cuz ctb is special
Topic Starter
Aqo
CtB makes no sense (屮゜Д゜)屮
eldnl
welcome to ctb
to make you believe you're not crap
Salamat
Topic Starter
Aqo
To me as a new player it gives the opposite effect. Whenever I get misses I know I'm doing bad and getting an S despite having like 8 misses feels frustrating, it's like the automatic indication is completely useless and I need to memorize miss count in my head.

Aqo wrote:

To me as a new player it gives the opposite effect. Whenever I get misses I know I'm doing bad and getting an S despite having like 8 misses feels frustrating, it's like the automatic indication is completely useless and I need to memorize miss count in my head.
Actually, S-ing on CtB gives an huge challenge for advanced players on very hard maps where not missing is impossible.
TheVileOne
Mania is a lot more confusing when it comes to ranks. You don't even know what your score is going to be until the very end of the song.
Constantine
more cool things

You can achieve A, B, C, D when you FC a map

Like those mini sized note
Yuuribo
because CTB is unique
welcome to the world of confusion
anyways,why bother about it? maybe it's just the way it really is.
autofanboy
it cannot be explained

1=1
2=2
Telstra3G
You "only" need 98% accuracy to get S for CtB
Hope this helped :O
Kurokami
Useless bump.