forum

Streaming question

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vupra
How do you know how many notes are in a stream... i'm a single tapper so I have a habit of starting on x (which would be normal) and ALWAYS ending on x... it feels so unnatural and I would like some tips.. thanks
Full Tablet
I usually only count when there are only a few remaining notes... though counting them is not necessary at all actually.

Depending on the stream, you might end up pressing Z or X at the end. With practice, it is not even necessary minding what finger did you use to finish the stream.
Soarezi
The more you play the more you'll be able to read, and feel the streams.
So the only answer is practice and keep playing. Also if they're slow streams you can maybe get an idea how many notes there are in some streams from reading the numbers in the hitcircles.
RaneFire
Streams will usually end on the same key they started on, that's generally how music works.

If they don't, that's also due to the music, so you should pay attention to the rhythm of the music to anticipate ending on the other key. If that style of rhythm is predominant for the entire song, you can expect a lot of even-numbered streams. Sometimes mappers like to hurt you though, and that's when reading is required.

With practice you should be able to visually read the difference between odd and even streams up to 10 notes, whether on the screen at the same time or not. Any more usually requires listening to the rhythm in the music, which is usually the easier method, believe it or not.

You will need to play more of those maps where you end on the other finger, if you aren't used to doing that, no way around it... uhm... practice.
GoldenWolf

RaneFire wrote:

With practice you should be able to visually read the difference between odd and even streams up to 10 notes, whether on the screen at the same time or not. Any more usually requires listening to the rhythm in the music, which is usually the easier method, believe it or not.
Is this the reason why people don't like Anhedonia? rip
RaneFire

GoldenWolf wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

Is this the reason why people don't like Anhedonia? rip
I don't know, but it's the reason I don't like it :D The music lends no clues to the stream lengths.

Edit: To clarify. It is mapped to the music, but the music is slightly unpredictable because of multiple instruments, except by pitch of the build up to the ending note, thus the map is somewhat unpredictable because the mapper didn't stick to one instrument.
Venumidas
You don't really think about how many circles are in the stream.

But because most streams are 1/4 , just use both fingers and tap with double speed.
tokaku
Who counts the notes in streams anyway?
It's a guessing game. You get better as you keep doing it.

(No actually most stream lengths are about the same. So if you listen to the song properly and practice a bit you'll get the hang of it.)
Mizuno Yui

Vupra wrote:

it feels so unnatural and I would like some tips.. thanks
The only thing that comes to mind is practicing something like this or RaneFire's short stream list entries labeled with 2,4. It's sort of a mental thingy, and the only way should be doing it enough times to make it feel "normal".
GoldenWolf

Venumidas wrote:

But because most streams are 1/4 , just use both fingers and tap with double speed.
This is the worst "advice" you could have tell.
piruchan

Vupra wrote:

How do you know how many notes are in a stream...
If you really want to know, open the editor.

I actually never know what finger I use to start and end streams, but I don't think it affects me that much.

Try using your other finger more, might help reducing the unnatural feeling you have.
buny
By reading the starting and end note of the streams number, if the start and even are both odd/even then the stream will end on the finger you started it with, and if they are different then it will start on the other finger.

Remember that 1/4 sliders and also 1/4 sliders that have reverse arrows and end on the other side of it (stream will start on the END of the slider), and generally the sliders will start on 1/2 ticks, then you will start the new stream with your other finger and the next slider/end note will be on your other finger (the one you started the new stream with)
thelewa
I just read streams by intuition

I think I'm subconsciously checking when the stream ends based on the objects that appear AFTER the stream
deletemyaccount
it also helps to be able to "feel" the bpm of a song when going for accuracy and predicting how many notes are in the stream.
ElykColdster
Play through the song once, remember the streams.
nooblet
I have this problem as well... I keep overstreaming by a note or two and end up dropping combo if there's stuff behind it :( As a result I have to avoid those maps... If only I could stop mashing everything.

On topic: Usually the short 1/4's come in 3's, 5's, and 7's. Longer ones usually change colour after 8 circles, so you can judge the number of hits based on those changes and/or the 1st and last number in each colour. They also sometimes end with a slider (My favourite, 'cuz I can just overstreammash through the slider) or a little gap (so you don't screw up by overstreaming).

In short, get used to recognizing 3-5-7-hits, and if there are more, watch for numbers/colour changes.
Venumidas

GoldenWolf wrote:

Venumidas wrote:

This is the worst "advice" you could have tell.

Got a better one? If the map is 1/1 and streams are 1/4 you use both fingers double speed, that's just "logics".

If a map is 1/2 and streams are 1/4 you stream with single tap speed with 2 fingers.

Think about it like this 1/1 = 1x1 , 1/2 = 1x2 , 1/4 = 1x4. 1x1 singletap = x4 = quadruple speed with 1 finger or double speed with 2 fingers.

That's simple math dude. He had a streaming question, I just told him something basic. Everybody plays by hearing, everybody told him, why not give him other stuff to think about? I don't see the problem with this...
Mizuno Yui
Your original post sounded like "hit x and z with two fingers at the same time". And that would be just wrong :D
nrl

thelewa wrote:

I just read streams by intuition

I think I'm subconsciously checking when the stream ends based on the objects that appear AFTER the stream
This. I actually do the same thing with short repeat sliders as well.
f i z i k

Venumidas wrote:

Got a better one? If the map is 1/1 and streams are 1/4 you use both fingers double speed, that's just "logics".

If a map is 1/2 and streams are 1/4 you stream with single tap speed with 2 fingers.

Think about it like this 1/1 = 1x1 , 1/2 = 1x2 , 1/4 = 1x4. 1x1 singletap = x4 = quadruple speed with 1 finger or double speed with 2 fingers.

That's simple math dude. He had a streaming question, I just told him something basic. Everybody plays by hearing, everybody told him, why not give him other stuff to think about? I don't see the problem with this...
why the fuck are you always being completely offended over the slightest disagreement people have with you? it's not like wolf insulted your family or some bullshit >___>
your advice is wrong as it doesn't really relate to the question the guy asked,since he wants to know how to read maps and not how to actually stream.
to the topic:
listen to the sound,do what lewa said,and you'll get used to ending on different fingers at one point. i have problems with that myself since I dont feel like my fingers are moving independently enough yet. also,if I really have to count how many times I have to press I try to read by borders I see or counting approach circles,for hidden I just try to play by sound but I guess that's part of the reason I can't do streams on hidden properly