forum

Touhosu! / Dodge the Beat

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12,142
show more
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
+888

doding danmaku with mouse is much easier than keyboard..
JhowM

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

+888

which danmaku game you play with mouse ?w?w?w?w?
Dolphin

JhowM wrote:

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

+888

which danmaku game you play with mouse ?w?w?w?w?
Well there are games like Symphony that are danmaku-esk with cursor movement.
But keyboard controls with 4 directions (8 if you count left-up right-down etc) has much more solid gameplay and controls than mouse.
Mithos

TheVileOne wrote:

The video is very close to how I imagine the gamemode to be like. Placed notes will explode into balls that the player must dodge with the cursor. I think drain should be constantly refilling with each passed object. Each time you touch a ball it will remove a chunk of HP. Hit too many balls and you will surely fail.

Surviving each object adds a combo and getting hit will either break your combo or give you less points depending on how much of the ball touches your cursor. A lenient combo break system would increase the variety of scores in the leaderboard and make mod usage more approachable. Your accuracy will be based on the number of times you got hit and how badly those hits were determined. If you make it to the end of the song without getting hit you get a perfect score.

Mods will provide an extra degree of challenge to those who request it. The standard mods would fit very nicely into the gameplay. Hidden would make the balls disappear and the player would have to dodge them without seeing them. Doubletime and flashlight would be exactly the same. Hardrock could make the balls larger or something or the balls could move faster from the center of the note.

The main issue is balancing the scoring system. Adding mods would make this gamemode exceptionally more difficult. It would be very hard to perform well with mods applied. Mods shouldn't make playing the game impossible. It wouldn't be worth the extra bonus.
"Is this a Rhythm Game?" I think that is the only requirement for a potential gamemode in osu!. Sure, the bullets spawn to music, but the player would probably doing the opposite, slightly nudging themselves over every few milliseconds and only watching the aftermath of what appeared before them. Touhou causes ridiculous tunnel vision when playing, and the chance that players will even see what is going on 'rhythmically' above them is zero-to-none.

If you want an example of this, fullscreen tasha's video. Now get a piece of paper roughly the size of your monitor, and cut a circular hole in it with a coin or something. No matter how loud you turn up the music, no matter how many visualizations you have in the background, this is what the player will see when playing.
TheVileOne
It wouldn't be a rhythm game. It would be a rhythm based game.This is not a major concern of mine. People don't play touhou because of the rhythm, and they would not play this game because of the rhythm.

Also I guess keyboard keys would work. It would be more authentic with Touhou.
Mithos
This is what bothers me though. Tasha's video and the ideas being put around here are amazing super-cool ideas, but most of them don't fit in osu!'s structure at all. Nobody would be able to say "That's a rhythm based game!" if you turned off the BGM on this game mode. By using the hitbursts=bullet spread style, we have to throw out the only mechanics that hold osu!'s gamemodes together. BPM no longer means anything. Accuracy would be over-complicated at best to implement. Combos? Forget them. I'm not usually pessimistic, but this design is not a rhythm game, not even the slightest!
-Seren-

theowest wrote:

This is something Tasha quickly scrapped together, so it's all made by him. It's extremely simple and far from a functional game, thus the pre-prototype title. He's actively developing and trying to create this osu! based bulletstorm game, so let's hope for the best.

Unreadable mess, nowhere near what it should look like. I just quickly mapped this on top of djpop's diff to see how it would look. Nice visualization though.
You will hear some osu! notification sounds in this video, so don't get paranoid while watching this.
this kind of really hard to dodge.
TheVileOne
I don't care if it's related to the rhythm or not. If peppy adds it, it would be a unique flare to osu! and I can guarantee people would play it. Imagine how many new players would download osu! just because it has a Touhou-esque game in it. If you can translate the game nicely, it would be a big plus to osu! as a game.
Dolphin

TheVileOne wrote:

I don't care if it's related to the rhythm or not. If peppy adds it, it would be a unique flare to osu! and I can guarantee people would play it. Imagine how many new players would download osu! just because it has a Touhou-esque game in it. If you can translate the game nicely, it would be a big plus to osu! as a game.
You got a valid point. All I am hoping for really is a rhythm-oriented game mode that works kinda like Danmakufu.
Also it would be nice if it got its own editor where you can adjust bullet-type, amount, direction etc. To keep complexity and variation.

An issue would be having Touhosu-specific maps, people would want to make these, but for these to be ranked we need to make a ranking criteria for it.
But nearly all Shmups are ridiculously difficult. So where do we limit the difficulty for Easy for instance? How hard should it be? How easy should it be?
We need to know this, and I think basing the diff-spread after Touhou would be a general bad idea, since the difficulty curve on Touhou is steep.

We also need to know what should be allowed and disallowed. If you're inexperienced and want to create an Insane difficulty by basing it of Touhou Lunatic, you might think that any pattern and bullet density/speed is allowed, but that's not quite true. There are always limitations.
Mithos
I guess if you can't beat them, join them. I hope my idea still stands, but I'm going to move on to trying to get a rhythm fighting game made for osu! instead. For this idea however, one thing I would want to incorporate are small things that really mix the game and the song together, in the same way osu!'s menu and games like rhythm heaven do very well.

One thing I would like to see with the 'main idea' is a clear indication of BPM in the character. Just a simple movement like moving slightly side to side, have the visible hitbox/grazebox have a pulse effect sort of like the menu animation, just something. Wait... I have an idea with graze, just a small one.

Graze is usually a constant stream of bonus points you get for staying ridiculously close to a danmaku. To help with the rhythm aspect of the game, I just had the idea of making graze only active on the beats of a song, or reward more points for grazing during a beat and less during offbeats, creating more of a 'curve' than a steady stream of points.

If the changing size of danmaku's didn't affect the hitboxes or gameplay, I would suggest that they pulse to the BPM as well. I think they could still have animations if they were done right.

Last thing to note right now, has anyone made a pippi touhou sprite?
PROGUY
I just thought of a suggestion for the scoring system for Danmaku (I'm calling it that from now on, and I don't care what you gays call it.) and a few others below.

For every circle that spawns bullets from its origin in time, it would also spawn a point item that adds to the score when collected. These items will also appear at the end of the slider (not in-between or at the beginning). I'm not sure about how this would work for spinners though - maybe have it spawn at a random location after completion of the spinner?

Also note that these items should despawn after about two seconds (depending on OD?) as a challenge. Maybe more for spinners since they're random.

In the results, the final score should be = (Items Collected / Total Items) * 1,000,000.

And no, grazing bullets do nothing to your score.

Other suggestions:
  1. BPM x Slider Velocity = Actual speed of bullets (but it should have a limit of sort so it doesn't result in an instant massacre)
  2. Player's speed = Like CTB, it should be fixed at a certain point
  3. Approach circles will appear as visible as possible in the background to indicate the spawning of bullets in that particular position
  4. When the song ends (or the last note of the beatmap), the game should only end once there are no remaining bullets on-screen and remaining point items are collected/despawned.
Starz0r
A better idea on how Touhosu! could work is this:

Dolphin

Starz0r wrote:

Dolphin

Starz0r wrote:

You did the YouTube thing wrong, its
[youtube]LXktr7MLicY[/youtube]
You have to put the Video Code, not the URL.

Someone delete my previous post, it broke and I can't interact with it for some reason :L
PROGUY
@Starz0r: ...You didn't read the entire topic before you posted that, didn't you?

On-topic and in addition to my previous post, maybe the number of lives would also affect the score aside from just point items.

So right now the formula is = ( (Items Collected / Total Items) * 700,000 ) * ( (Lives Left / Max Lives) * 300,000 )

...or at least something like that.
Mithos
It seems too easy to get max score without graze bonus.
stickydog
x
Graphite Edge
support +1
yoshilove
support~ <3

Although it is very old,
There was such a thing.
There was a game to Danmaku the BMS. *Danmaku(Cartridge? Curtain of fire?)

※not Touhou, this is another game.
There is a place that is similar.

(but JP lung)
(An animation was not found in Youtube. )
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm130707
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~VG5M-OBT/otama.html
DJNightmare

Starz0r wrote:

I ain't lady
And no, you don't sound like a man who has ordered a pizza.
/me runs
Indra145
It will be something like this?

Jiraymin
I really think that the "Starz0r" example is a good idea :) .

But , well ... i think it should be fun if the player press a key to shoot the enemies in rhythm .
For example, the enemy always throw bullet in all the map according to the beatmap ; and the player do the same but only on a vertical line , but, few time the player must press a key to make a powerfull attack (indicated by something like ... color change)
I hope that you understand what I mean :oops:

( also , i don't read all pages of the topic, so ... tell me if something better is proposed )
- Marco -
looks like peppy is slowly working on this :)
Trash Boat
i really like to support this idea, actually i approve it, but i can't find my stars or votes. i should have at least 2
- Marco -

battler077 wrote:

i really like to support this idea, actually i approve it, but i can't find my stars or votes. i should have at least 2
You get 2 stars when you buy supporter i hate that moda >.> everyone should have the ability to vote...
Trash Boat
somebody told me that when somebody gives you supporter, the gifter get the votes, not the receiver. that could be the reason
Heinzen
Beat hazard is a pretty fun game. A rhythm bullet hell. I'd love to see it working over here, but how would a ranking system work for that?

Supporting it
Taadashi

Heinzen wrote:

Beat hazard is a pretty fun game. A rhythm bullet hell. I'd love to see it working over here, but how would a ranking system work for that?

Supporting it
Perhaps something like graze points in touhou? Another idea could be to subtract points each time the player's been hit.
Trash Boat

Taadashi wrote:

Perhaps something like graze points in touhou? Another idea could be to subtract points each time the player's been hit.
based on that Touhosu! should be amazingly impossible(difficult)
Taadashi

battler077 wrote:

Taadashi wrote:

based on that Touhosu! should be amazingly impossible(difficult)
Well I do expect it to be somewhere close to touhou ranging from beginner to lunatic. Also I expect it to use mods such as hidden or fl to boost the score. :P
Dexus

marcostudios wrote:

You get 2 stars when you buy supporter i hate that moda >.> everyone should have the ability to vote...
People that are supporting the game have the right to vote what happens. It only makes sense, right?
Luna

marcostudios wrote:

looks like peppy is slowly working on this :)
What's your source for that? I can't remember seeing any indication of a dev actually working on this.
Trash Boat

Luna wrote:

What's your source for that? I can't remember seeing any indication of a dev actually working on this.
there is a thread in GD with a video that may depict a bit of Touhosu!. i didnt see it yet because... 1 hr.. next
Oinari-sama

battler077 wrote:

Luna wrote:

there is a thread in GD with a video that may depict a bit of Touhosu!. i didnt see it yet because... 1 hr.. next

Fastforward to 43:30. Peppy mentioned about "the touhou mode" around 43:58.
EDIT: I should really preview before posting orz
TakuMii
He's not working on it at the moment. What he said just tells us that it's only in proof-of-concept stage and it'd be a while until this comes into fruition.
FireFoxZX
love it+possible ideas=be able to shoot the spinners
Trash Boat
peppy, i suggest you implement this mode as fast as you can, because a new rhythm game threatens to end your reign of popularity

Myke B

Trash Boat wrote:

peppy, i suggest you implement this mode as fast as you can, because a new rhythm game threatens to end your reign of popularity

Their open beta is tomorrow, but their forums isn't available at all - is that normal?
uzzi

Trash Boat wrote:

Yo they spelling 'coming' wrong on their website.
Myke B

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Trash Boat wrote:

Yo they spelling 'coming' wrong on their website.
Volumax is confirmed comming soon.
show more