forum

Custom hitsounds volume level

posted
Total Posts
53
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,825
show more
Sadolution
I don't agree on this.

- you aren't able to hear 5% volume hitsounds clearly because the music itself is too loud, but the rest is fine?
- you can actually hear 5% volume properly but the rest is too loud compared to the music?

on both: you are allowed to blame the mapper and/or creator of your skin hitsounds~

cr1m wrote:

But on some maps you will hear randomly volumized hitsounds.
My request appeared to fix it!

cr1m wrote:

For your understanding:
beatmap: - https://osu.ppy.sh/b/238938 [insane]
00:51:371 (4) - check stream volume here!
Your allowed to blame BAT/QAT/MAT~

i don't have an issue to hear any hitsounds unless they are completly removed (silent mp3) wich isn't allowed for Ranked Maps.
Don't play unranked maps if you expect them to be perfect~
Natteke desu
i feel like this game has grown to the stupidly buttonmush thing, where nobody cares about mappers' intentions, ideas and even rhythmical part of osu! but about rankings
what is sad tbh
maybe there should be a button like "IGNORE EVERYTHING BUT GIVE ME PP" added, huh?
drum drum

EvilElvis wrote:

i feel like this game has grown to the stupidly buttonmush thing, where nobody cares about mappers' intentions, ideas and even rhythmical part of osu! but about rankings
what is sad tbh
maybe there should be a button like "IGNORE EVERYTHING BUT GIVE ME PP" added, huh?
I actually agree with this. But the problem is what about the absurdly loud custom sounds? I guess that can't actually be avoided anyways without harming the map's experience that the mapper hoped to bring the players :/
Tear
YES PLEASE
We already have a setting to ignore custom hitsounds, there's no reason to not add constant volume to it.

inb4, no I don't care about pp. I enjoy playing osu the most when I'm able to be accurate and follow the rhythm very closely, that's why I use the loathed "pingpong" hitsounds - they're audible against every song, so it's easy to compare your timing with the beat. Insulting people for having a different concept of fun than you is just stupid.
Aureal3D
nice request,bump
autoteleology
Yes, all my yes. Considering how many people use custom hitsounds, it sounds terrible most of the time without user hitsound volume control.

If nothing else, take away the ability for beatmappers to adjust the volume of hitsounds per hit. For every intelligent use of hitsound adjustment I've seen, I can give you a hundred stupid ones. Beatmappers clearly have a hard enough time choosing where to put normals, claps, whistles and finishes.
autoteleology

EvilElvis wrote:

i feel like this game has grown to the stupidly buttonmush thing, where nobody cares about mappers' intentions, ideas and even rhythmical part of osu! but about rankings?
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Sometimes the end result of the mapper's intentions is horrible. I don't see why anyone should be forced to play the map exactly the way the map was intended - that's why we can override custom skins, override custom hitsounds, and add mods to songs.

If the mapper decided to set hitsound volume to 0%, should I just be forced to play the map without sounds at all?
abraker
yes yes yes yes yes YES YES!!!

It becomes so annoying trying to listen to the low hitsouds when I can't make out the beats in the music itself.
Bara-
I don't disagree, but I see no idea why
If hitsounds are to soft/loud it should be pointed out (by bn) before bubble/qualification
This shouldn't have to be the case, aa it's should fix itself in the modprocess, but I also don't disagree, in case it's missed (or older maps)
abraker
What about older maps?

baraatje123 wrote:

(or older maps)
Went ahead of myself, but yea. However, even newer maps have quite hitsounds.
GhostFrog
I like hearing the hitsounding in maps, but extreme hitsounding choices (usually sections with very quiet hitsounds) that don't match how I interpret the objects that are mapped can really make a map feel bad to play. When a map has too much of that, I first try disabling the custom hitsounds and if that doesn't help I just don't play the map at all. I think something like variable hitsound volume is far enough removed from being an actual gameplay element that having an option to disable it would be reasonable and it would be nice to have in some cases.
Reyvateil
Here, all of my stars
Crowie

Philosofikal wrote:

Yes, all my yes. Considering how many people use custom hitsounds, it sounds terrible most of the time without user hitsound volume control.

If nothing else, take away the ability for beatmappers to adjust the volume of hitsounds per hit. For every intelligent use of hitsound adjustment I've seen, I can give you a hundred stupid ones. Beatmappers clearly have a hard enough time choosing where to put normals, claps, whistles and finishes.
*repeats in a sarcastic tone*

To beatmappers, creating maps is like artists creating art. You can't just tell an artist to "forget about your ideas! focus on making it easy to interpret," or something like that. Mappers who can get their maps ranked most likely know what they're doing and know how to bring the best experiences out of a song. Your point here is a bit too extreme, don't you think?

Philosofikal wrote:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Sometimes the end result of the mapper's intentions is horrible. I don't see why anyone should be forced to play the map exactly the way the map was intended - that's why we can override custom skins, override custom hitsounds, and add mods to songs.

If the mapper decided to set hitsound volume to 0%, should I just be forced to play the map without sounds at all?
A map would be unrankable anyways if the hitsound volume is below 5%, so just don't play unranked maps if you don't like them.
Also, if you don't want to be "forced" to play what a beatmapper maps, then why not just make your own maps? osu! is special because it is unlike other rhythm games, where you have 0 input on what's available to play. So feel grateful or just quit osu! altogether.
Reyvateil

ghostshipCrowie wrote:

*repeats in a sarcastic tone*

To beatmappers, creating maps is like artists creating art. You can't just tell an artist to "forget about your ideas! focus on making it easy to interpret," or something like that. Mappers who can get their maps ranked most likely know what they're doing and know how to bring the best experiences out of a song. Your point here is a bit too extreme, don't you think?
And no one cares anymore apparently, otherwise we would still be forced to complete a map to to dim the background and to be able to play without the skin the mapper designed for the map. Thank peppy this was removed back in 2013 because going through the map folder deleting all the skins was a hassle. Or are you saying that having obnoxiously huge star2.png and hit-300.png files are also part of bringing out the best experiences of a song?

Of course you wouldn't know, you only joined 6 months ago.
Crowie

Reyvateil wrote:

And no one cares anymore apparently, otherwise we would still be forced to complete a map to to dim the background and to be able to play without the skin the mapper designed for the map. Thank peppy this was removed back in 2013 because going through the map folder deleting all the skins was a hassle. Or are you saying that having obnoxiously huge star2.png and hit-300.png files are also part of bringing out the best experiences of a song?

Of course you wouldn't know, you only joined 6 months ago.
Skins are another thing, I don't like them either. Most likely the beatmapper didn't spend ages to make the skin elements, but hitsounding takes time and is an important part of mapping, and of course it would bring out the best experiences of a song. Even if not custom hitsounded, I doubt there are a lot of maps that don't have volume change. I also doubt you would want to play a quiet part of a song with hitsounding at 100% volume.
Seijiro
As a mapper I spend quite a lot of time for hitsounds because I suck and just thinking people will ignore my ideas feels a bit bad.
I'm not saying this is a bad request, since I can imagine some people just can't play with certain hitsounds, but as mentioned above, hitsounding should be considered during the ranking process and eventual issues should be corrected before the maps actually gets ranked.
i even wonder how it would be possible to do this in the first place...
Reyvateil

Crowie wrote:

I doubt there are a lot of maps that don't have volume change. I also doubt you would want to play a quiet part of a song with hitsounding at 100% volume.
In fact, this is exactly what I want to do.

And I'm probably already offending many mappers by not using hitclaps, hitwhistles or hitfinishes in all my skins. And by playing Nightcore because it has a constant volume.
Mirtrax
Bump
d4ilyrun
I totally agree with this. I lost the count of how many times i blocked on a part just because it had no hitsounds or almost (maybe being bad doesn't help too).
And not to simply ignore all of the mapper's work we could make it as a range of reduction, like choosing the minimal/maximal volume level in the settings and every hitsound over those values are set to max/min, don't know if it would be even possible but it's just an idea.
Anyway I fully support this topic.
Nekonyx
It's still relevant
DeletedUser_5153421
I support this as long as there's an option to keep 5% (or lower) volume otherwise i see this as useless.

Oh yeah, and if you're craving optimization, a volume equalizer of sorts to keep the max db of played songs to the max (to avoid quieter mp3s) would be swell.
grauntgront
how is this not in the game? there's nothing more annoying than downloading a song you really want to play, only to find that it has non existent hitsounds (like < 20% vol). If i want better hitsound feedback by having consistent hitsound volume let me do it :( just an option "override hitsound volume", to make it equal to effects volume across all beatmaps then i can reduce it or increase it with that effects volume shortcut. I really hope this is addressed in lazer
darlingimfallin

Seijiro wrote:

As a mapper I spend quite a lot of time for hitsounds because I suck and just thinking people will ignore my ideas feels a bit bad.
I'm not saying this is a bad request, since I can imagine some people just can't play with certain hitsounds, but as mentioned above, hitsounding should be considered during the ranking process and eventual issues should be corrected before the maps actually gets ranked.
i even wonder how it would be possible to do this in the first place...
(ik I'm responding to a 5 year old post and they won't see this but this is for anyone who cares to read)
Here's the thing with that. I can't speak for all players, but from every person I've seen who also shares the sentiment that this should be a feature, said that they just end up not playing the beatmap at all.

So from my point of view, not having this feature is literally hurting mappers. Because all the players who potentially would've adored a mappers art(excluding parts that made them uncomfortable, and these aspects do not 100% rely on each other, you can appreciate a good map without needing to hear the hitsound volume changes) just end up ignoring the map entirely.

You can either have players who are uncomfortable with your hitsounds likely not play your map entirely, or give them the OPTION(not on by default) to turn them off and enjoy the maps the way they want to. Letting players bypass different hitsound volumes is not the end all be all for people to enjoy maps(same goes for custom hitsounds and skins, which you could easily make the exact same argument for). In fact, based on the opinions I've seen people express, it'd greatly enhance the experience, and for some players, let them play a map they couldn't even play before.

[EDIT]: fixed some grammar/wording
i click to lose
Joining on the train of responding to people who posted years ago...

I just want my hitsound volume to be constant. You can make your map as artistic as you want, I don't see hitsounds that way and the only thing not having this feature does is annoy me and not want to play your map.

Additionally, it's not like we're asking for something that changes your map, just how we play it. Those who do appreciate the different hitsounding will have it as normal. I don't get why you'd want to force this on someone.
Zelzatter Zero
The main problem when this is featured is the fact that most mappers used 5% volume to silence hitsounds. Yes, 5%, not 0.

If you guys want the volume to be straight up constant all the time then all the mapper's effort to avoid hitsound cluster would be useless, which would do more harm than good actually.

I'd suggest just treat 5% volume as 0% if it gets implemented or else there's no point bumping this at all.
KonichiwaSensei

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

The main problem when this is featured is the fact that most mappers used 5% volume to silence hitsounds. Yes, 5%, not 0.

If you guys want the volume to be straight up constant all the time then all the mapper's effort to avoid hitsound cluster would be useless, which would do more harm than good actually.

I'd suggest just treat 5% volume as 0% if it gets implemented or else there's no point bumping this at all.
bro this thread is 8 years ago they added thid feauture with the Hitsound loudness already
Zelzatter Zero

KonichiwaSensei wrote:

bro this thread is 8 years ago they added thid feauture with the Hitsound loudness already
They want to avoid hitsound volume changes in maps, making the volume constant throughout the map, not the Effects volume equivalent.

Also what's Hitsound Loudness anyway? The closest I can find in Lazer is Positional Hitsounds, but it's for hitsound panning basing on objects' position, not the one people here are talking about.
Ashe xo
Unapologetically bumping, not sure why this STILL isn't in the game. It's just an option - I fully respect the right for mappers be able to tweak the sounds for artistic purposes, but unless 'hitsound effects' somehow affects PP, we should be in control of how the game looks and sounds.

The amount of bullying on this topic saddens me - if some people want to be able to hear their hitsounds then why not let them? We all have our own preferences when it comes to volumes and hitsounds, just like tablet area sizes / mouse sensitivity. For a game that can be customised so much, its so weird that this is the one thing that can't be changed.
Please sign in to reply.

New reply