forum

IIDX Controller

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tsundoll
I've started IIDX somewhat recently, is there any issue with using that controller for osu!mania? A lot of players seem to use keyboard only. Playing with the default mania layout feels really odd in comparison to a controller though.
Full Tablet
There shouldn't be any problem at all...
Tokiiwa
Pretty sure there should be no problem with using other controllers, since joystick support is available on options for that reason

I use a IIDX controller too o/
Topic Starter
tsundoll
Thanks for the answers~
Akihiro
Have fun with LNs with a IIDX controller.
I'm 10-dan on IIDX, I use KB for osu!mania cause the LNs are just not manageable with IIDX pad.

I would use IIDX for BMS on o!m though (but I play BMS on lr2 soo..)

other than that, it works fine execpt on 8k where I didn't find any way for have the TT work well.
Topic Starter
tsundoll

Akihiro wrote:

Have fun with LNs with a IIDX controller.
I'm 10-dan on IIDX, I use KB for osu!mania cause the LNs are just not manageable with IIDX pad.

I would use IIDX for BMS on o!m though (but I play BMS on lr2 soo..)

other than that, it works fine execpt on 8k where I didn't find any way for have the TT work well.
Are the long notes really that hard to manage? Combining space with other notes is really awkward on a keyboard.
Tokiiwa
It's manageable as long as you aren't playing O2Jam-ish beatmaps I suppose, it's not like IIDX doesn't have LNs anyway lol -- although at least the usage there is incredibly minimal
Akihiro

Tokiiwa wrote:

It's manageable as long as you aren't playing O2Jam-ish beatmaps I suppose, it's not like IIDX doesn't have LNs anyway lol -- although at least the usage there is incredibly minimal
Yes. The problem is most ranked maps have a lot of LNs here, because a lot of players come from o2jam...
Well, it's not impossible, I just think it's much harder.

The main reason behind this is the size and disposition of the keys, you lose a lot of speed and accuracy on a iidx pad if you have to hold certain notes. on a keyboard you barely feel the difference.

tsundoll wrote:

Combining space with other notes is really awkward on a keyboard.
spacebar usage take a little bit of practice, but you'll get there.
I know a good player who use asd f jkl though.

So yeah,you can have fun with a iidx controller, but I think it's good to be good on a keyboard too :)
Topic Starter
tsundoll
I don't understand why more people would come from O2Jam. That's an even more obscure game than IIDX.I'd understand DJMAX, but O2Jam is unheard of
Tokiiwa

tsundoll wrote:

I don't understand why more people would come from O2Jam. That's an even more obscure game than IIDX.I'd understand DJMAX, but O2Jam is unheard of
Where I come from O2Jam is pretty much where a majority of players started and continue to play, aside from BandMaster, so I'd assume it also has some form of popularity in the rest of the world. IIDX is the more 'obscure' game imo
PyaKura
I've only heard about IIDX a year ago, whereas I've known o2jam for quite a few years.
Zeraph

but my osu! doesn't read any of the inputs i put in from the konami controller nor do any of the keys even bind. :(
Akihiro

Zeraph wrote:

but my osu! doesn't read any of the inputs i put in from the konami controller nor do any of the keys even bind. :(
Did you try to bind them in the Skin tab ? That's where it worked for me

tsundoll wrote:

IIDX is officially Japan only, and o2jam has been in a lot of countries, even in Europe
Topic Starter
tsundoll
Well, beatmania US was a thing, terrible as it may be :P

All I know is, I've heard about IIDX for years, despite living in the US. There's an arcade with Spada somewhat near me, but I'm not good enough to justify going there yet.
Zeraph

Akihiro wrote:

Zeraph wrote:

Did you try to bind them in the Skin tab ? That's where it worked for me
Yeah, didn't work :\
TouchFluffyTail

Zeraph wrote:

You need to use a program like xpadder or joy2key and bind the controller's buttons to keys, then bind those keys within osu. Unfortunately you can only bind one key to each lane in osu, so the turntable is kinda wonky. In order to get the turntable to have both directions hit the scratch lane you have to bind both directions to the same key, but this makes fast back and forth scratching impossible because it won't register correctly.

Basically using an IIDX controller in this game isn't that great, unless you're only playing 7k and no 8k.
Topic Starter
tsundoll

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

Zeraph wrote:

You need to use a program like xpadder or joy2key and bind the controller's buttons to keys, then bind those keys within osu. Unfortunately you can only bind one key to each lane in osu, so the turntable is kinda wonky. In order to get the turntable to have both directions hit the scratch lane you have to bind both directions to the same key, but this makes fast back and forth scratching impossible because it won't register correctly.

Basically using an IIDX controller in this game isn't that great, unless you're only playing 7k and no 8k.
Isn't 8K uncommon though? Most mania maps I've seen are 7, 4, or on occasion 5 or 6. But there are key mods.
PyaKura
Key mods don't work on actual mania maps.
Aqo

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

Unfortunately you can only bind one key to each lane in osu, so the turntable is kinda wonky. In order to get the turntable to have both directions hit the scratch lane you have to bind both directions to the same key
This is incorrect. You may bind two keys for the scratch. Use the special key input 2 tab under input.

True, the skin tab doesn't have it there which is a GUI issue that needs to be addressed; but the feature still works. 7K+1 plays fine with two keys for the scratch as it should be.
TouchFluffyTail

Aqo wrote:

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

Unfortunately you can only bind one key to each lane in osu, so the turntable is kinda wonky. In order to get the turntable to have both directions hit the scratch lane you have to bind both directions to the same key
This is incorrect. You may bind two keys for the scratch. Use the special key input 2 tab under input.

True, the skin tab doesn't have it there which is a GUI issue that needs to be addressed; but the feature still works. 7K+1 plays fine with two keys for the scratch as it should be.
Ah, I had no idea that was there since I haven't used the input tab since the mania GUI was implemented, good to know.
Hanyuu

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

Zeraph wrote:

Hm i never had trouble binding it with the joystick support that comes with osu. It would map as Btn1 Btn2 etc. What controller do you use that you need external programs like joy2key? Also those programs are not really good since they may induce input delay, or so i heard.
Only trouble i ran into once was that my controller didnt register because i also had the xbox360 gamepad plugged in and it picked up those inputs instead.
Akihiro
Weird, I have a japanese konami original controller and ait worked fine with my adapter (super dual box pro).

Also, yeah, joy2key = input lag.
Aqo
The input lag isn't that bad either, just saying. Tested it with a device I have (not an IIDX controller, but a console device) and using xpadder mapping I was able to consistently hit timing windows for SS on OD10+HR. Whatever lag it is, it's not that big of a deal to affect your play in a way you'll notice, so even if your controller inputs don't register natively it shouldn't worry you.
Hanyuu
Is it lagfree for you with joy2key too?
Zeraph
I'm not sure how to configure joy2key with the joystick as whenever I hit a key to try to bind it joy2key doesn't even recognize the inputs from the controller. I have the ps2 konami controller from when iidx was actually sold in america l0l. Works for lr2 and tricoro but osu! and j2key don't recognize anything. At a loss here and I just can't get used to playing 7k on the keyboard after using the controller for a while. zz
Hanyuu
I havent used joy2key before but there should be one option to register your controllers inputs into the program and afterwards you should be able to select the buttons and register them as a key on the keyboard. For example button 1 for S. Also if you havent yet try the built in joystick support from osu and/or try xpadder. See if anything of that works out for you.
Zeraph

Hanyuu wrote:

I havent used joy2key before but there should be one option to register your controllers inputs into the program and afterwards you should be able to select the buttons and register them as a key on the keyboard. For example button 1 for S. Also if you havent yet try the built in joystick support from osu and/or try xpadder. See if anything of that works out for you.
Yea, joy2key wouldn't read any of my controller's inputs. I can't find a good download for xpadder and I don't have 10$ to buy something that might not even work lol. I have turned on the built-in joystick support on osu! and it was the same thing as joy2key where every button I pushed didn't get recognized. I tried to bind via key bindings, and osu!mania layout binding, neither worked.
Tear
Don't bother with binding apps, osu gets around those because they work the same way as scripts for automating play.
Aqo
eh really? I had no problem using xpadder to bind my DDR pad and play DDR on osu with it...

as for joy2key, I haven't tried using it, but xpadder uses similar technology to joy2key so it should be the same.
Topic Starter
tsundoll
Just a little advice for anyone that can't get a KOC to bind in osu via a converter (assuming everyone has the cheap option that's out there now.) Try the other controller port on it. osu couldn't see my controller when it was plugged into the 2P port