forum

[CONCLUDED] Taiko World Cup - Last Man Standing: Japan Wins

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Dolphin
Due to not meeting up for any of their matches, or answering my messages, Uruguay has been disqualified.
This means that anyone else who is supposed to go up against Uruguay gets a free win, and the matches take place.
OnosakiHito

Ah, damn it. lol
Backfire
RO16 Mappool is here!

The pack is provided by our buddy Lno, thanks!

Also, I think the tournament has been a success so far and im happy about that. We will try to get a streamer for ALL of RO16 and we will release the schedule soon. Thanks for your cooperation everyone.
Dainesl
Good luck to all participating!
OzzyOzrock
I'M SO DONE WITH SCHEDULES AND MATCH TIMES

THEY FLY OVER MY HEAD IN MORE THAN ONE WAY

no offense to those who created them, i guess i should've realized a lot of them were inconsistent and wrong from my teammates
LunaticP
So RO16 will be

Hong Kong
Taiwan A
Phillipines
Japan
Thailand

USA A
USA B
Argentina
Chile

Germany A
Germany B
Poland
Scandinavia
Russia
France
UK

So many new face, so many from Europe
Nwolf
Is it just me or is the Ro16 map pool barely harder than Group Stage except maybe Terminal, Masquerade and Iris (would've added Re:Usatei but I can play it with HR so it's doable for a normal person) (not complaining)

and why is more than the half map pool unranked maps D:
Dainesl
Have you even tried comparing the two different mappools to each other? ;w; there's a very distinct difference between them! Also there's still plenty of ranked maps in there ;p
LunaticP

Nwolf wrote:

Is it just me or is the Ro16 map pool barely harder than Group Stage except maybe Terminal, Masquerade and Iris (would've added Re:Usatei but I can play it with HR so it's doable for a normal person) (not complaining)

and why is more than the half map pool unranked maps D:

Because someone called Ozzy complain that his PP and rank drop because of the match

well actually it is because not many team was kicked out of the match after Group stage, so we do not upgrade the map difficulty too much
Backfire
Ok since people apparently have been speaking on my behalf, the reason is that there is no reason.

This pool is outright like 2x harder than the group stage. People were angry that it was too easy, so we literally included harder maps to appease people.

There is a philosophy on mappools that lepi once told me when I asked him why one certain map in his pool back in the day was harder than the rest.

"There is harder maps for the good players and easier maps for the other players" something like that.

For example, Cirno and both of the nano songs are the "easy" pool. Concon, Terminal and Vajundra are the "harder" pool.

Theme of Laura and Captivate are the easy ones, Just Awake and Usatei are the hard ones.

Hidden I can't particularly comment on but Blue Rose Ruin and Rocket Kid are slightly harder than the other two.

DT is mostly easy except for Masquerade. I find DT the hardest to pick for so go figure

Free Mod is all pretty solidly difficult with mods.

Tie Breaker is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from the other Tie Breaker, who's purpose was soley to act as an accuracy war. This one is an endurance test. Each respective tie breaker will have some sort of little twist to it.

And lastly, i'd like to mention that this is not twc 2014. This is TWC LMS. We value difficulty in different ways. Group Stage you could consider the "culling" and RO16 is where it really starts. If you want, just forget about the groups, and consider this the start. We will have a solid streamer next week, as well as hopefully being much more on the ball with the schedule and stuff like that.

I know the map pool is easy for some veteran players, but people still missed a lot in the group stage on kindergarten maps. Now I dont know if this is because it's too easy or something like that but it shows that you are not always as prepared as you think you are. Perhaps you are not so good at RE:Usatei and they pick it? Everything else in the pool was easy for you but you struggle with that one. I.e. the picks were just as good as they needed to be so everyone does not get SS every time. I'm confident that also the map quality will have a lot to do with people's enjoyment. We don't all want super hard maps in the map pool, and I can respect that, thus, why we include some easier maps to make the matches more close and even.

So yeah, sorry for the text wall, I just feel that my perspective could help you understand our reasoning for our picks.
Nwolf
wow didn't expect that. I actually like the map pool (especially happy to see cdh map :>), it just seemed to be a little unbalanced but with that post everything makes far more sense now, thanks <3

shouldn't have thought that map at bottom = hardest and map at top = easiest lol
Backfire

Nwolf wrote:

wow didn't expect that. I actually like the map pool (especially happy to see cdh map :>), it just seemed to be a little unbalanced but with that post everything makes far more sense now, thanks <3

shouldn't have thought that map at bottom = hardest and map at top = easiest lol
The maps are not in any order. They are just put there :x We think difficulty is subjective so listing them is kind of difficult.

Anyways, here is the drawings for who is going to go against who. I used random.org to orchestrate this, picking the first team, randoming, then picking the next first team, pairing them, then taking them out of the rotation and rolling again. I hope you can just trust my being honest. I am taking screenshots, so for anyone who would like to see, I will show you. Hopefully I dont have to though ;w;

Japan vs. France

Poland vs. Scandinavia

Hong Kong vs. Taiwan A (I swear to god this is RNG)

Argentina vs. Thailand

USA B vs. Germany A

Russia vs. Chile

UK vs. USA A

Germany B vs. Phillipines
Wow man, RNG is delivering hard, these should be some epic matches. I'm hype.
AnFace

Backfire wrote:

Nwolf wrote:

The maps are not in any order. They are just put there :x We think difficulty is subjective so listing them is kind of difficult.

Anyways, here is the drawings for who is going to go against who. I used random.org to orchestrate this, picking the first team, randoming, then picking the next first team, pairing them, then taking them out of the rotation and rolling again. I hope you can just trust my being honest. I am taking screenshots, so for anyone who would like to see, I will show you. Hopefully I dont have to though ;w;

Japan vs. France :(

Poland vs. Scandinavia

Hong Kong vs. Taiwan A (I swear to god this is RNG)

Argentina vs. Thailand

USA B vs. Germany A

Russia vs. Chile

UK vs. USA A

Germany B vs. Phillipines
Wow man, RNG is delivering hard, these should be some epic matches. I'm hype.
Things like this are why these tournaments should be double elimination. More matches and more likely to get the super teams towards the end but np not against japan first round this time ~hype~

And all you friends should stop being weird about the mappool. There's a general difficulty with some differences between them to add strategy to picks
Topic Starter
Dolphin

Round of 16 Schedule can be found here.
If there are any issues, contact me ASAP.
Japan's time is somewhat worrying me, but I am hoping they're able to play
And note; for USA, I used Central Time. All the time zones were looked up with http://www.timeanddate.com/ and should be correct.

We are also looking for people who are able to stream the tournament.
Do you have a PC powerful enough to run 8 osu! clients with good upstream? Contact me now!
Kurai

Dolphin wrote:

You weren't really worried when you made France play at 2am and Russia at 7am :D
Topic Starter
Dolphin

Kurai wrote:

Dolphin wrote:

You weren't really worried when you made France play at 2am and Russia at 7am :D
Well I WAS but we had to try and squeeze in as many matches as possible, and it IS difficult. I do have to say I apologize, though.
DarkStoorM
So I came here from the future to spoil you the results of this tournament

peppy, please fix the website apperance for huge images and long lines :3
LunaticP

DarkStoorM wrote:

So I came here from the future to spoil you the results of this tournament

Hong Kong Japan and Taiwan A in the same lane

And IF Germany B defeat USA A, USA B will come for revenge?

The RO16 looks like a final
Nashmun
Why nobody have faith in France ? :(
Topic Starter
Dolphin

Nashmun wrote:

Well, not meaning to be rude, but if Japan is able to lose against USA B, anything could happen.
Oh well, good luck to everyone. Anything could happen, really.
AnFace

Dolphin wrote:

Nashmun wrote:

Well, not meaning to be rude, but if Japan is able to lose against USA B, anything could happen.
Oh well, good luck to everyone. Anything could happen, really.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Kuro
If our match is at 18:00 UTC, then shouldn't USA B's match be at 13:00 not 15:00?
LunaticP
Just to tell all

I have just modded the storyboard of the map

But I think this does not affect the map a lot, just found some bug in storyboard
Topic Starter
Dolphin

Kuro wrote:

If our match is at 18:00 UTC, then shouldn't USA B's match be at 13:00 not 15:00?
Unless I went complete retard mode, I am darn sure I used Central Time for the calculations for USA. Also UTC =/= GMT/BST.
UTC is universal and is not affected by DST (Summer Time), so during Summer Time, UK would be UTC+1, during winter it is UTC+0.

I'm pretty sure the times are correctly converted, but I'll have a doublecheck now in case I messed something up.
Kuro
Currently we're in daylight savings in my time zone (CDT) and I'm in Texas so it's UTC-5 right now instead of UTC-6 and 18:00 UTC is 13:00 CDT here.
So I'm probably just wrong because of the difference in my time zone right now. :P
Topic Starter
Dolphin
Gosh, how I hate time zones <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Loctav
Topic Starter
Dolphin
I used that site but DST etc is screwing me up.
Loctav
Why? It shows you if DST is used in that country. And if it is used, then it applied, since it's DST EVERYWHERE now, for whoever uses it.
OnosakiHito
Masterrace DarkDunskin trololol
Backfire
The quarterfinals mappool is out !

You can go to it here!

I had fun with everyone these last few weeks, I hope we can keep having fun and get a proper streamer so we can do this like we wanted to. We all hope you understand what we went through with our primary streamer, LunaticP is trying as well, we did not give him proper time before this event to prepare, so we genuinely apologize for anyone who is disappointed.

TWC's in the past have gone without streaming, certainly we can too. Now that it is less teams too, we will be able to focus more on this part of the tournament.

One more thing, Climbb and I mapped the tie-breaker exclusively for the tournament, I hope you guys enjoy it, we put a lot of work into it.
kanpakyin
Good job both teams, this was an exciting match!
KanaRin
Nice job Taiwan A ;)
glad to have match with you guys!
Topic Starter
Dolphin
Quartefinals Mappool Pack Available Here

Download link is also available on the Mappool Document.

And the Schedule is also released!

If anyone has an issue, whether it be schedule or mappool or what have you,
consult me as soon as you can, either in-game or via forum PM.
LunaticP
For all map in the mappool

You have to ask the mapper to submit the map because the stream client do not support map underground

I have checked the mappool, only found this map need to be submitted

Seiryuu - BLUE DRAGON (Hakuryuu Remix) (Dolphin) [Oni]
Backfire
Very important rule I announced in #taiko for the upcoming rounds.

Make SURE your CAPTAIN gets the extra life. No one else. In semifinals, !roll will be used to see which player gets the other extra life, so it will be 2/2/1.

This will make the matches last much longer. It will only become a tie-breaker when both teams reach ONE life each.
Backfire
Click here for the semifinals mappool!

Hope you guys enjoy it, it should be challenging :D
mliencheng
Need more fun mapssss 030/
[KEMU]
great mappool and also that over my head on no mods xD
Topic Starter
Dolphin
Semifinals Schedule is finally out.

Sorry for the long wait, my wi-fi has been gone these past two days so I haven't been able to do anything at home.

Like usual, if any issues, contact me ASAP, and I do apologize for not being able to push out the schedule any sooner.
show more