[CONCLUDED] Taiko World Cup - Last Man Standing: Japan Wins

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dolphin

Banner Designed by Dolphin

中文 | 한국어

CONCLUDED: Japan Wins!
Chile gets 2nd Place, Taiwan A gets 3rd Place!

The concept:

Taiko World Cup - Last Man Standing is, like you would guess, a world cup, but with a unique twist!
Rather than having the Standard Team vs Team with the winner going further up the bracket, we have decided to change the rules up a little to give newer players a chance!

This new aspect is rather than having the whole team go out all at once at the end of a tournament, we have decided that this tournament will be like dodgeball! What we mean by this, is that in a game, both teams will gather for the match, one of the teams will choose a song like they would normally, but the player who does the worst on that song, is thrown out of the match, and the team who loses all their players first gets eliminated from the tournament!

We are excited to see how this goes! We have been planning big, and we're hoping this tournament will turn out big!
We are also really hoping that as many people as possible will join our tournament, beginner or not! Everyone has a chance here!
Hopefully, we will even be able to get a stream of each match running! But more information about this is to come in due time!

Do you have trouble finding team mates? No worries! Just check out the Thread for seeking players from your area! and see if anyone from your country or region are interested in making a team! If you don’t see anyone yet, don’t be let down, post yourself!
List of Registered Teams

Live Stream Channel

Tournament Statistics and Schedule

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group Stage Mappool

Round of 16 Mappool

Quarterfinals Mappool

Semifinals Mappool

Finals Mappool

Tournament Staff:

Management and Organization: Dolphin, Acrith and Backfire
Mappool Selection: Backfire and Dainesl
Mappool Testers: TKS and -Anhedonia-
Mappool Mappers: Backfire, climbb65588, Dolphin
Referees: TKS, Dainesl and Stefan
Streamers: LunaticP
Commentators: Dolphin, Backfire, OzzyOzrock and Acrith
Statistics: Acrith and Marcin

Practical Information:

Registration Period: March 9th - May 4th (2 Weeks from today)
Tournament Start: May 10th (3 Weeks from today)

Prizes:

First Place: 6 Months of Supporter and Profile Badges for the whole team
Second Place: 4 Months of Supporter for the whole team
Third Place: 2 Months of Support for the whole team

Feel free to PM any of the Mappool Selectors suggestions!

Signature Code:

[url=http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/192614][img]http://puu.sh/7pEG6.png[/img][/url]

Rules

Please read the rules carefully and thoroughly!
1. General Rules
1.1: The osu! Taiko World Cup - Last Man Standing (LMS) is a country-based 3v3 team tournament, with the aspects of knock-out rules, and single elimination bracket.

1.2: The maps for each round will be announced by the mapset selector in advance on the Sunday before the actual matches take place.
  • 1.2.1: There will also be a Hidden, HardRock, DoubleTime and FreeMod bracket.

1.2.2: FreeMod allows either HardRock or Hidden mode to be used.
1.3: Match schedule will be settled by the Tournament Management.

1.4: If no staff or referee is available, the match will be postponed.

1.5: Use of the Visual Settings options are allowed.

1.6: If the game ends in a draw, the game will be nullified.

1.7: If a player disconnects, then they’re eliminated from the game.
  • 1.7.1: Unless the disconnected player has a screenshot with their final score, or the server saved his score before disconnection, so we can compare it to the others.

1.7.2: The second exception is when the player is disconnected at the beginning of the game, before hitting any notes. In that case, there will be a rematch.
1.8: Maps cannot be reused in the same match unless the game was nullified.

1.9: If less than 3 players attend, the maximum time the match can be postponed is 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the team that couldn’t gather three players plays weakened.

1.10: Exchanging players during a match is allowed
  • 1.10.1: You can only exchange twice a match

1.10.2: You can not exchange with someone who’s already eliminated
1.11: Lag is not a valid reason to nullify a map.

1.12: Unexpected incidents are handled by the tournament management.

1.13: Any modification of these rules will be announced.

1.14: Note that the players who get knocked out during a match is only gone temporarily, during the match. If their team advances, they can participate in the next match their team plays in
2. Tournament Registration
2.1: Your team needs at least 3 players to participate.
  • 2.1.1: The maximum team size is 6.

2.1.2: Bi-national teams and regional teams are allowed.

2.1.3: Ask the Tournament Staff about these regional teams for verification.

2.1.4: You must specify a captain who will represent a team.
2.2: The Tournament Team may not participate as players in this tournament.

2.3: The maximum amount of teams is 32.

2.4: For team sign up, the captain must PM one of the Tournament Management.

2.5: To ensure valid registrations, any registration and change will be checked.

2.6: All successfully registered teams will be published after Registration Phase.
  • 2.6.1: Captains will get notified when their roster has been accepted or rejected.

2.6.2: Upon rejection, one of the tournament staff members should explain the reasons
    why your team has been declined.
3. Stage Instructions
3.1: In the first stage (Group Stage), the teams will be divided into 8 groups of 4 teams.
  • 3.1.1: If less than 32 teams arrive, the grouping will be set up differently.
3.2: Each team from each group will face all the other teams once.

3.3: Rankings of each group are determined by sorting the results of each team's performance in the following priority:
  • 3.3.1: More Matches Won.

3.3.2: Have higher {(the number of maps won) - (the number of maps defeated)}.

3.3.3: Most maps won.

3.3.4: Winner of the rematch.
3.4: The top 2 teams of each group will move on to the Knock-Out Stages.

3.5: Following stages are Knock-Out Stages. This means that the winner moves to the next stage and the losing team gets kicked out from the tournament.

3.6: Winning condition: In all rounds, you need to knockout all players from the opponent team. The weakest player of every played map gets knocked out from the match (or lose a life). Team that loses all players - loses the match.
- From group-stage to round of 16, everyone has one life.
- From quarter-finals to finals, everyone has two lives.
  • 3.6.1: It’s possible to eliminate your own teammates with your own pick!
4. Match Instructions
4.1: A referee (or tournament manager) will create a multiplayer room 20 minutes in advance. Players must gather during this period.
  • 4.1.1: The room will be locked. The password and multiplayer invite will be sent to the two captains as soon as possible.

4.1.2: Room settings are Taiko, Team-Vs., Win Condition: 'Score'. Room name must be "TWC:LMS 2014: TeamBlue vs TeamRed"

4.1.3: The team mentioned first in the room name must be the blue team, the team mentioned second in the room name must be the red team.

4.1.4: Blue team must occupy slots 1, 2 and 3. Red team must occupy slots 5, 6 and 7.

4.1.5: The setup at the start of the match must remain consistent throughout.
4.2: Players are free to select up to two warm-up maps.

4.3: Map selection will alternate between each captain selecting a map out of the map pool. Each captain must use "!roll" once in #multiplayer to determine which team selects first. Highest score will mean first pick.
  • 4.3.1: The captains may select maps out of the NoMod and FreeMod bracket freely.

4.3.2: Selection out of mod-specific brackets is limited. Each captain may only select one map from each mod-restricted bracket during the match.
4.4: In case when one player lasts in both teams, the tiebreaker map must be played.
  • 4.4.1: From Quarter-finals onward, they need to both have one life left to play tiebreaker.
4.5: Results will be published via the Statistics site.
5. Mappool Instructions
5.1: There will be 1 map-pool for the Group Stage, 1 map-pool for Round 16, 1 map-pool for the Quarter-finals, 1 map-pool for the Semi-finals and 1 map-pool for the Finals.

5.2: Each map-pool consists of 5 brackets: NoMod, Hidden, HardRock, DoubleTime and FreeMod.

5.3: Each map-pool consists of 23 maps in total.

5.4: Each map-pool has one tiebreaker. This will be the hardest and longest map of the current pool.
  • 5.4.1: The tiebreaker will be played with no modes activated.
5.5: The NoMod bracket will be played with no modes activated.

5.6: The Hidden, HardRock and DoubleTime bracket will be played with the respective modes activated.

5.7: The FreeMod bracket will have FreeMod activated. Every individual player can pick Hidden, HardRock or no mod at all. Players must not select more than one mod.
  • 5.7.1: When playing a FreeMod map, at least one player of each team must have one mode activated.
5.8: The size of the NoMod bracket will be:
  • 5.8.1: 10 in Group Stage

5.8.2: 6 in Knock-Out Stages.
5.9: The size of the mod-specific brackets will be:
  • 5.9.1: 3 in Group Stage.

5.9.2: 4 in Knock-Out Stages.
5.10: No more than 3 maps of the same person per pool

5.11: Unsubmitted (Non-BSS) maps are allowed in the pool.

5.12: The mappool will be released about 1 week in advance of the match.
6. Scheduling Instructions
6.1: Each stage will be held on a single weekend

6.2: Matches in Group Stage may overlap.

6.3: All Knock-Out Stages will be held on either Saturday or Sunday (refer to Tournament Schedule).

6.4: Scheduling will be handled by the Tournament Management. Schedules and map-pools will be released on the Sunday before the first matches of the actual stage. The Tournament Management will try to create the schedule to respect the participant's time zone.

6.5: Captains are responsible for their teams’ availability. The greater team size exists to ensure every team can provide at least three players for each match.

If there are any questions about the rules, please either post in this thread, or contact a Tournament Manager privately!

Regarding TWC, IFTT and Other Taiko Tournaments
As you may be aware, this tournament coincides with other tournaments such as IFTT and TWC. We do not intend to spark any controversy by introducing this tournament to the world, because we want to get more people involved in Taiko, and as a result, make it more alive and well than it currently is. Controversy gets us nowhere in these kinds of situations, so please don’t be the source of such things.

It was a rather inconvenient coincidence that both us and IFTT planned and organized our tournaments around the same time.
We could have announced it much earlier, but we decided not to, as it would spark controversy with the official TWC, which is something we much wanted to avoid, but we simply can’t postpone the announcement of this tournament until IFTT or other tournaments are over.

Thanks for understanding
pielak213
­
Acrith

pielak wrote:

Sounds cool but it isn't really a team ;/
Of course it is. Still - every member of team has some abilities like playing HD/HR/Good ACC/Great patterning skill. If you know abilities of every player at your match (either from your team and opponent one), then you can use this knowledge to eliminate everyone from enemy side without getting your team-mates in danger. It's about planning, not just playing. ;)
Backfire
I really encourage everyone to PM me both in-game and on the forums for map-suggestions, I have a notebook that i'm writing them all down in. I appreciate, in advance, the help and suggestions.

If you have any other questions or things you want or need to know, just shoot me or anyone else a PM, just in-case you didn't notice it. Hopefully we can help everyone, this is going to be a great pleasure of mine to do.

Also remember, I love you all :D
Topic Starter
Dolphin
So to make the registration period easier for people; t/192633

If you're looking for teammates but got no idea who to ask, this your place!

Updated the OP with the link
PlasticSmoothie
This sounds absolutely amazing even if I don't play Taiko. I hope this gets popular.
6ixr

PlasticSmoothie wrote:

This sounds absolutely amazing even if I don't play Taiko. I hope this gets popular.
Lol yeah.. same...
-[ ix Ishida xi ]-
I wonder if there will add a Chinese version rules and productions for this. My English is too bad to read the whole post though I'm interested in it ~
Update OP with a Registered Teams notice???
Acrith

Kiwikun wrote:

We'll do that when we get teams.
-[ ix Ishida xi ]-
>>Regarding TWC, IFTT and Other Taiko Tournaments

That's ok. Since your tournament starts on May, and our is on Jul.
Good luck anyway. As you, we were just wanted to make osutaiko better too :3
Topic Starter
Dolphin

-[ ix Ishida xi ]- wrote:

I wonder if there will add a Chinese version rules and productions for this. My English is too bad to read the whole post though I'm interested in it ~
Working on it thanks for cdhsausageboy!

Acrith wrote:

Kiwikun wrote:

We'll do that when we get teams.
^

Other than that, updated the rules with "1.14: Note that the players who get knocked out during a match is only gone temporarily, during the match. If their team advances, they can participate in the next match their team plays in", to ensure that players know they aren't eliminated permanently unless their team is knocked out from the tournament.

Also added Marcin as Statistician.

Edit: t/192773 Chinese Translation is up! Thanks a lot cdhsausageboy!
FLANKs
This seems like a fun tournament :3
Backfire
Ok a little update, Dolphin seems to be silenced, we have a new addition to the team as well as a new sub-section of the mapping team.

We're going to have the Mappool Makers section, which will have Me, Dolphin, possibly TKSalt and, introducing climbb65588! We're happy to have him on board and making us some exclusive maps that will be used in our tournament. We're all going to make difficulty appropriate maps, of course, and not a lot of them. Perhaps only 1 or 2 per pool, because we want this to be a group effort, not a vanity project.

The primary reason is so that we can have some fresh, exciting new maps for everyone to be able to play when the pools come out, thus creating more interest and dynamic to the whole thing. Of course it's somewhat not fair to existing maps, we wont make it too cumbersome, so there will be of course lots of maps from other players.

I will keep the projects for which they're being worked on a secret for now, but let it be known that we'll try to make them as exciting and fun as possible.
Loctav
Depending on success, quality of organization and consistency in its structure, I might grant stream access and/or supporter tags. Keep me updated.
Acrith

Loctav wrote:

Depending on success, quality of organization and consistency in its structure, I might grant stream access and/or supporter tags. Keep me updated.
Sure. I guess it's not a problem.
Topic Starter
Dolphin
updated the thread with the mappool mapping team
Asagi Mutsuki
more work uguu
kaji_
Typed up a Korean translation of the OP as per Backfire's request (t/196066). Hopefully this will spread the news some more and draw in more players. :lol:
Topic Starter
Dolphin

kjwkjw wrote:

Typed up a Korean translation of the OP as per Backfire's request (t/196066). Hopefully this will spread the news some more and draw in more players. :lol:
thank you so much <3

Updated the OP with that link and with a link to the list of currently registered teams!
OnosakiHito
Still two teams. Hm... is there any further information maybe?
Backfire

OnosakiHito wrote:

Tons of people have been telling me they have teams or are making teams...but...they aren't doing anything. I don't understand.
Vuelo Eluko

Backfire wrote:

OnosakiHito wrote:

Tons of people have been telling me they have teams or are making teams...but...they aren't doing anything. I don't understand.
possibly time zone issues thats always a huge issue with international tournaments that's why most are country specific :o
ppl need to be given more incentives to participate mayb
Backfire

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

possibly time zone issues thats always a huge issue with international tournaments that's why most are country specific :o
ppl need to be given more incentives to participate mayb
We will do everything we can to make ALL of the teams comfortable and be able to participate when they are available.
Our prizes should be quite large, as long as I can get the money together to create the other prizes I wanted to add.
I also wanted to give everyone participation prizes, but that could be somewhat of a tedious effort, though I will try.

For me, participating in our tournament would mean a lot, not only because we put a lot of work into it that you will see soon as well as how fun I think it will be for everyone. All of our differences from the other TWC are going to be entirely so that the players have a much more enjoyable time and stress-free enviroment. TWC is a fine event of course, but we are trying to make a more casual event for the summer that more people can be involved with and have fun with. The skill cap is high, but it's also low enough that anyone who plays should have fun, due to how we will pair teams.

I know that all the countries have their issues currently, and some don't want to participate, and i'm fine with that. I just genuinely urge with all of my heart for you to find time to participate though, you won't regret it.

We're doing everything we can to make this the biggest and greatest taiko related event that's ever been held. We want people to finally see what the taiko community is made of, and for that to happen, we need the cooperation and help from the whole community, not just a few.
Dainesl
Apologies for not posting in this thread. :o
I've been selecting maps for the easier half of the tournament, and hopefully it turns out to be a fun and enjoyable experience for all (same with Backfire's selections in the harder half of the tournament)!
I've been hoping that our effort has been worth it because we really want this to be one of the biggest events this game's seen in its 7 year life.
I know that it's hard, and that we have a lot of pressure, but the fact that this thread's stickied is a good sign for us, and we have the "top of the food chain" (if you will) helping us make this tournament possible.
With that in mind, I was trying to avoid the issue that TWC 4 had: only having one mappool selector. More than one allows for a more diverse range of maps with different styles, and allows for a better proof-check which will ultimately make the tournament more fun!
Also we wish to be slightly less professional with this (not too much, because this will be a big event), trying to appeal to a broader audience (because to be honest Taiko desperately needs a broader audience), ensuring our success even further!
During the matches I'll make sure that nobody performs with the incorrect intentions, e.g. to cheat. I'll also try to create a great atmosphere for everyone involved in the match, because a good atmosphere leads to a good tournament. :)
If at any time we're not doing our part correctly or you feel we're not putting enough effort into this, just say so; we want your help with this event. ;w;
The main point of this tournament is to have fun. We don't want Taiko to become the least involved mode in terms of competition or anything, but we do need to have a balance. We need to make sure that it can be seen as both a competitive and fun gaming experience for all, and not just "oh I farmed a bunch of ranks just now I'm so pro" or "I have more pp than you therefore I'm better". It needs to have fun in it too, for without it there is no soul; and we believe that Taiko is capable of a lot of soul :D
Anyways enough rambling I'm gonna make sure this will work really well for all ;w;
Topic Starter
Dolphin
I have extended Registration End and Tournament Start Dates by one week each, as we have a lack of registered teams (although I have heard lots of people saying they're making ones) and as a request.

Im kinda sorry we had to delay it but at least this gives more time for players to sign up.
Loctav
Announcement post incoming in 3,2,1...
Topic Starter
Dolphin

Loctav wrote:

Hngg
Loctav

Dolphin wrote:

Loctav wrote:

Hngg