forum

Mania Survey #1

posted
Total Posts

Does ACs (AutoConverts) maps are better than mania-specific maps?

Yes
9.40%
No
86.58%
Others (State your reason)
4.03%
Total votes: 149
Topic Starter
Maiz94
Nothing personal. Just a survey to see what mania community thinks about this one. :)
bomber34
I wouldn't say AC are better but they are better for noobs like me
I can experiment with the key mod
I can play songs I actually like (only few mania only maps are songs that I enjoy >:)
I don't need any expectations for the map spread ... mania only map spreads at the moment are mostly like: "way too easy" > "only passable due to the weird HP drain in mania" > unplayable > lol" | for me of course ... I know I suck :P I wished for something playable and challenging but that happens rarely maybe someday there will be good spreads for me lol. Taiko managed to get at that point

yep I used a lot of I's, just my personal reasons, i know what kind of answers I get for this post
Stefan

bomber34 wrote:

I wouldn't say AC are better but they are better for noobs like me
this in the first point. Then it's 50/50 imo.
Raging Bull
I'd say mania specific are better. It's like AC maps for taiko. Usually its a kat on beat 2 and 4. But AC is really helpful for beginners.
Drace
I wouldn't say ACs are better for beginners. They impede the improvement process by training you into an improper sense of rhythm. Extremely counter-productive. The more they're played, the harder mania maps will seem to the beginner. Not because they're harder, just because it's a completely different sense of rhythm.

Also ACs just give the illusion that they're more beginner friendly since they're much more accessible on osu. Truth is there's equally easy content for all keymodes on both sides.

I personally don't find song choices to be an issue. Realistically, successful rhythm games should be using their own music. Not ripping from other rhythm games and animes.
Lieselotte
I suggest newbie don't play AC map,If you play AC map for a long time,you would not be able to play specific map!
Murako

Drace wrote:

I wouldn't say ACs are better for beginners. They impede the improvement process by training you into an improper sense of rhythm. Extremely counter-productive. The more they're played, the harder mania maps will seem to the beginner. Not because they're harder, just because it's a completely different sense of rhythm.
This.

I regret playing ACs when I started this game, really...
The first time I played a Mania-spec map it was really hard compared to ACs, yeah, but you improve faster that way, too.

ACs suck
Taadashi
AC are harder for me due to accuracy issues haha. :P Them notes are so off..
[TaikoTori]
That question is simply insulting every mania mapper, ever.

An autogenerated mania-map just isn't as good as an mania-specific map, full stop.
Topic Starter
Maiz94

[TaikoTori] wrote:

An autogenerated mania-map just isn't as good as an mania-specific map, full stop.
Yes, it is. Still, if you hang around #osumania from time to time, you'll know why I made this thread, to see how many agrees and how many don't and coming here stating their arguments regarding to the ACs.
Kamikaze

Murako Izuriha wrote:

Drace wrote:

This.

I regret playing ACs when I started this game, really...
The first time I played a Mania-spec map it was really hard compared to ACs, yeah, but you improve faster that way, too.

ACs suck
My thoughts exactly.
kuuderes_shadow
There are autoconvert maps that are good and a lot of them are fun to play. But they're not as good as maps made for mania. That should be obvious really.
Charles445
Other, in a lot of cases I struggle to play the actual mania sets (due to the complex nature of holds that certain maps bring).

Overall custom made maps are better, but there are times when I'd like to play a map with simpler holds and less jackhammers.

[/noob]
Aqo

Charles445 wrote:

there are times when I'd like to play a map with simpler holds and less jackhammers.
actually autoconverts are exactly where all the random nonsense 185bpm 1/4 ring finger jacks inside a stream randomly show up. In actual mania map they're always made to be convenient to play and logical...
xxbidiao

[TaikoTori] wrote:

However, this question is a real question among many of mania players. I have heard this not one, but quite a few times.

For clarify, ACs are not always easy, and specific maps are not always hard.
It's always simple to make an Easy diff specific map - even simpler than making an osu! Easy because you don't need to think how to put your note two dimension - and it's also unnecessary to consider patterns, which is the most important thing to be crafted, at this moment.
But mania mappers hate to make a plain map of 1/1 looping - They think this is low quality. This is why most maps don't come with a real Easy (for beginners).
In most commercial versions of osu!mania (O2/DJMAX/IIDX...), Easy have difficulty varying from true beginners (1 star ACs) to an acceptable crazy level (4 star ACs). Some extreme examples include Kamui on EZ2ON, where its Easy diifficulty itself has difficulty level at the average level of SHD.
With my own observation, osu!mania now has a far hiigher ratio of easy specific maps, just like everyone said here Edit: on the harder song discussion. The actual problem I believe is only the lack of proper songs - When there is no such song which you are finding, I believe you will score a 0 to specific maps and say AC are better.
NaixKole
Mania maps are way better in accuracy/learning but they don't get ranked as much and so there's like more ac songs to play
I'll prefer mania but i tend to play ac more...
kidlat020
I'm for the manually mapped made for mania, because I find this map to be that much fun to play compared to the ACs. It's hard to explain it but from my observation:

1. I finally get to play again those spread patterns after a long time.
2. challenges my stamina.
3. The notes feel perfect.
4. in AC, you're only hitting 1-2 notes at a time. this song specifically is different.

I think many mania players would love this map. I find it sad that it's underplayed.
Topic Starter
Maiz94

kidlat020 wrote:

I find it sad that it's underplayed.
It's underplayed because they think all mania-specific maps are considered too extreme for them or they didn't want to lose their PP and just play the 'easier' ACs. So they just ended playing ACs instead of playing the real mania maps. Poor souls for them. :(
kidlat020

ishimaru94 wrote:

Poor souls for them. :(
I hope they hit a wall or something. I swear I was stuck in 4.9k rank until I read about manual vs AC maps here. Now I'm at rank 2.1k even though I still have fatty fingers (can't play 1/8 notes 140bpm very long). My biggest surprise is that I managed to increase my 90% acc AC maps into 94-97%.

Still, someone here easily managed to overtake my score T_T