forum

New Super Mario Bros Wii

posted
Total Posts
show more
Pokebis
What? The whole thing is a lie rally? Damn, it looked pretty good too.
Topic Starter
Turpin2009

Pokebis wrote:

What? The whole thing is a lie rally? Damn, it looked pretty good too.
What are you chatting?

It's not a hoax silly..
Real1
Yeah, can't wait! Unfortunately, my economy is forcing me to wait. Until I can afford, I still have my Metroid Prime Trilogy to plow through. ;)
Topic Starter
Turpin2009

Real1 wrote:

Yeah, can't wait! Unfortunately, my economy is forcing me to wait. Until I can afford, I still have my Metroid Prime Trilogy to plow through. ;)
Ha, that Wii trilogy release was possibly the best deal ever, however I'd already hammered through all three to total completion on Cube and Wii as standalone title so I couldn't justify buying again just for some flashy add ons.

Am not actually buying NSMB on release, waiting till around Christmas time when I can pick it up cheap second hand. This is because it's released on 20th November (the very same day as PES 2010 for wii!)
awp

Turpin2009 wrote:

Real1 wrote:

Ha, that Wii trilogy release was possibly the best deal ever
Orange Box was probably the best deal ever, the Resident Evil pack was pretty good, and the MP one is alright. I loved Metroid Prime, and I enjoyed MP3's control scheme, but the game was just kinda zzz
lukewarmholiday
Orange box FOR PC is better than MP trilogy.

Every other Orange box is a maget.
Real1
I take any of the Prime games over any game in the Orange Box any day. They just fit my tastes better. And so does NSMBWii, but that has to wait..
lukewarmholiday
I have to give it to the orange box because it's 3 completely different games.
Real1
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
5ku112
The Orange box was a great deal because it had TF2.

I don't seemed too hyped about this, But if it can finally kill that 2d platforming craving I've had i'll drop down and buy it.
LuigiHann

Interest +1000%
Topic Starter
Turpin2009
Glad they've finally listened to fans and dumped the listless, dull bosses and brought back the koopa kids.

Great memories of Lost Levels and World coming from the screens and reviews of this, it looks absolutely immense, even though there are some issues with multiplayer that I'm worried will damage the gameplay.
Real1

Turpin2009 wrote:

Glad they've finally listened to fans and dumped the listless, dull bosses and brought back the koopa kids.

Great memories of Lost Levels and World coming from the screens and reviews of this, it looks absolutely immense, even though there are some issues with multiplayer that I'm worried will damage the gameplay.
Nintendo knows how to handle their Mario games, I think we don't need to worry! ;)
Topic Starter
Turpin2009

Real1 wrote:

Turpin2009 wrote:

Nintendo knows how to handle their Mario games, I think we don't need to worry! ;)
Mario Sunshine anyone? :oops:

Nah, if they stick to the golden, olden formula with nice new tweaks and don't try to shoehorn loads of rubbish twists in then it will be fine.
Real1
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Turpin2009

Real1 wrote:

Turpin2009 wrote:

Mario Sunshine anyone? :oops:
Mario sunshine was a fine game, although SM64 and SMG totally kicks its ass.
That's why I consider it a failure and a poor game: even though by itself it's a fantastic stand alone title and well worth the hours I spent completing it fully, it's just not classic, genius Mario and falls flat because of that.

I'm just delighted they've done this in a similar vein to 'World', that was always my favourite of the series ahead of the original NES/SNES 'BROS' titles.
aRiskOfRain
Also, 97% in ONM.

- Not a rehash of NSMBDS. (May as well be called New NSMBW, eh?)
- Feels better than the DS version.
- Map screens more like SMB3.
- YOSHI!
- Four player is AWESOME - Co-op, free play or COIN BATTLE < Latter is brilliant aparently.
- Starts off as easy as DS, but by the end will make "even the most die-hard Mario players cursing at times."
- Collecting all the star coins gets you big surprise.

I WANT THIS NOW.
Topic Starter
Turpin2009
Yeah I'm an ONM subscriber and it looked ace, slightly miffed about the fact Yoshi can only be used in a minority of 'special' levels and not carried off at the flagpole, minor trouble considering everything else though.

This game in four player is going to be better than sex, tbqh-ish...
Mashley

DiamondCrash wrote:

COIN BATTLE
I'm sold. Loved that mode on the DS.
Topic Starter
Turpin2009
Twelve days to go, seen all sorts of screens and video walkthroughs and it looks incredibly good fun in multiplayer especially.

The coin mode is even better in this version as apparently you can play 'battle and collect' across all the 100 odd full levels, not just a couple of specially designed maps like on the (still ace) DS version.

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE.
YoshiKart
Super Guide = Harder Levels = Yay4Me

I could care less about Super Guide, though. :P
Pokebis
An Australian copy got leaked yesterday (doesn't matter, they should all be the same).
I played through world 1. It requires you to use the sideways remote control scheme, which is pretty lame, but the game is pretty fun. I'm probably gonna' get a few friends together to beat it with co-op.
Topic Starter
Turpin2009
No gamecube/classic controller is a major letdown, would have made it handle so much better and not exactly much of an effort to make it happen and appease all the retro gamers.

Having watched about a million short video teasers and demo runs and read every scrap of newx off all the major sites/mags I'm incredibly excited for this, gonna get it on the Friday and work a half day before bunking off for twelve hours of pure bliss in multiplayer, punctured only by football and afew currys!

IT'S GONNA TASTE GREAT!
Pokebis

Turpin2009 wrote:

No gamecube/classic controller is a major letdown, would have made it handle so much better and not exactly much of an effort to make it happen and appease all the retro gamers.
To be fair the game requires you to tilt the wiimote to tilt platforms on occasion, but it's snapped to a grid so it just as easily could be mapped to buttons.

Turpin2009 wrote:

Having watched about a million short video teasers and demo runs and read every scrap of newx off all the major sites/mags I'm incredibly excited for this, gonna get it on the Friday and work a half day before bunking off for twelve hours of pure bliss in multiplayer, punctured only by football and afew currys!
Twelve hours will beat it unless you plan to dick around in multiplayer rather than strive to complete the game. :(
Real1

Pokebis wrote:

sideways remote control scheme
I know I will love that, since I'm a nostalgia faggot.
Topic Starter
Turpin2009
Oh I assure you, there will be PLENTY of dicking around.. 8-)

Gonna do what I always do with a brand new Mario title, play the first level through as I normally would, then instantly restart and collect all coins/bonuses. Often play it a third consecutive time if it's as awesome as some of the Mario Galaxy efforts. Probably play like this through Lands 2 and 3, then hammer the rest of the game to completion before playing the whole thing through again looking for the bonuses.
Pokebis
Okay, after lots of struggling (resistant friends) I and two other friends beat the game. I'm probably going to single player all the extra stuff and grab every star coin or whatever they're called. I am actually a bit surprised, the difficulty does really start ramping up just after the first world and the levels are legitimately a challenge later on. I do believe some levels would be easier without multiplayer on and others easier with it on. I was a bit impressed, but I can also confirm it's short unless you suck at games. Also, I never got to see the "super guide." Maybe I'll kill myself eight times in a row just to see it.
awp

Pokebis wrote:

I can also confirm it's short unless you suck at games.
But that's to be expected, it's a classic Mario game. There were only what, 32 stages in the original Super Mario Bros? Given that each of them can be done in two or three minutes if you're flawless, we're looking at a game under two hours long. Whether or not "could" is a possibility, the developers need to consider "should" we make this game longer? Over-staying your welcome is not a cost-efficient strategy (even though the bigger fans would love it anyway).
Pokebis
awp
was the game like 20 dollars or was it like 60 dollars

because when Capcom took that approach with Mega Man 9, it was only like 10 dollars, so that the bang/buck value didn't suffer from the nature of the game.
Pokebis
'Bought $50. I'd pay $20 for it, but that's all.
Topic Starter
Turpin2009
Pah, I'd rather play a three hour long game with endless replay value than a 50 hour RPG which I'd never touch again after completion...

It took me little over a few hours to complete Super Mario World SNES for the first time. Then I realised there were numerous secret exits and cool level designs.

That was 15 years ago. I still hammer it frequently today, have two copies on SNES and a Wii VC version, have played it through ridiculously too many times, about 2000+ hours I'd estimate! I just love that game so much.

Point is, if the gameplay is good and level design fun enough, ultimately I don't care how long it takes to finish it one time through: for me, it's all about how much i enjoy playing it again and again over many years, hopefully this will be the case with multiplayer extending this yet further.

Tell me though, ignorin lifespan and lenght, how good is the game? Purely on basis of how enjoyable the levels first time through, and how many 'wow' or 'incredible' momnets?
Arusha Shuna

Turpin2009 wrote:

Pah, I'd rather play a three hour long game with endless replay value than a 50 hour RPG which I'd never touch again after completion...

It took me little over a few hours to complete Super Mario World SNES for the first time. Then I realised there were numerous secret exits and cool level designs.

That was 15 years ago. I still hammer it frequently today, have two copies on SNES and a Wii VC version, have played it through ridiculously too many times, about 2000+ hours I'd estimate! I just love that game so much.

Point is, if the gameplay is good and level design fun enough, ultimately I don't care how long it takes to finish it one time through: for me, it's all about how much i enjoy playing it again and again over many years, hopefully this will be the case with multiplayer extending this yet further.

Tell me though, ignorin lifespan and lenght, how good is the game? Purely on basis of how enjoyable the levels first time through, and how many 'wow' or 'incredible' momnets?
agreed play a three hour long game with endless replay IS worth more than 50 hours RPG gameplay

but hey 2000+ hours of play!?
epic man! :)
Topic Starter
Turpin2009

Arusha Shuna wrote:

agreed play a three hour long game with endless replay IS worth more than 50 hours RPG gameplay

but hey 2000+ hours of play!?
epic man! :)
Haha yeah, I'm a massively sad Nintendo fanboy and have wasted ridiculous amounts of time on various classics, but nothing even comes close to my addiction to World.

I actually think I could accurately desribe and draw every single map, level layout, obstacle and enemy in that game, every single nook and cranny I know it so well.

Anyway, NSMB Wii is ace but not that ace as expected, played it through and 'twas fantastic, won't get remotely close to being played as much as World though.

I THINK THIS IS LOVE. :oops: