forum

Rhythmic break timing [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
mm201
This is a cosmetic request. In all of the most professional beatmaps, storyboarding events tend to happen in time with the music. It adds a level of polish and professionalism, and makes it more entertaining to watch.

It would be great if we had the ability to place the break transitions on strong rhythmic impulses to carry this smooth, professional feeling further.

What I would suggest is a resize cursor added to the beginnings of breaks which would allow the mapper to delay the break's beginning by as much as 4 beats. (Any further would begin to confuse the player.) This would be visible in the editor as a half-shaded region between the break's beginning and the last note before it, as is currently seen at the end of a break. During this half-shaded time, the Kiai bar would stop draining but the combo number and Kiai bar would remain visible.

(In other words, begin the break right away, as in current builds, but hold off the hiding of the combo number, Kiai bar, and letterboxing until shortly thereafter, as set by the mapper.)

Dragging the last note closer towards the break would leave it as is until the note collides with the break, at which point it would begin shrinking it, as it does currently. Moving the note away from the break would leave it the same until it hits the 4 beat maximum, when it will begin pulling the break along. If the break isn't pushed ahead, it will remain "stuck" to the note and get enlarged as it does currently if you drag the note away.

Essentially, I understand the gameplay flaws of the old loophole used for rhythmic breaks, and why it was plugged, as well as the advantages of breaks updating on mapping and difficulty changes, but the old style of breaks offered a visual appeal which will be sorely missed. This visual treat deserves to come back.
Zekira
This is very evidently needed on authentic maps, too.

I support this since you can see this in the actual games.
anonymous_old
I still don't see how you think it's more professional, but I support it for authenticity purposes.
Torran
Support~!
Topic Starter
mm201
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
Actually yeah, I like being able to control things like that
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
mm201

strager wrote:

The note preceding the break can occur on the beat. Thus, the fade would occur on the beat. Right?
In this case, you would want to begin the break as soon as possible, so you would not use a rhythmic break here.

If the last note comes a bit before the downbeat, you would want to use this. Play some more EBA for good examples of this feature's use. Hell, play some Don't Stop Me Now for good examples. :?
CheeseWarlock
I always wished this was easier in the old system and it does seem more professional. Support, but make the maximum delay a fixed amount of time, not a number of beats. Seems more consistent with the automatic break time insertion we have now.
LuigiHann

strager wrote:

The note preceding the break can occur on the beat. Thus, the fade would occur on the beat. Right?
It occurs on a beat, but you can't make it start on a specific beat. Let's say you've mapped to the end of one line of vocals, then this feature would let you make it look like the break begins precisely at the start of the next line of vocals. Just so everything really feels like it's flowing with the music.
FurukawaPan
It should probably occur on a specific tick mark, like an anchor point. The current behavior already appears to anchor exactly 1/2 beat after the final note. It would be handy if we could specify on a per-break basis, the gap between notes ending, and break "visually" starting.

I agree being able to time this to a specific beat adds a bit of professional looking spit and polish to the map.
YoshiKart
Nice coverup name, MetalMario. xD

Definitely supporting. There's always some place where no notes could fit in, but a fade out to a break after the last note doesn't feel right, either.
ShaggoN
That would be nice. Brakes sometime make mess in rhythm. This feature would allow s to avoid it.
:arrow: Support.
anonymous_old
Lilac
Well, this is going to stuff Believe up.

Not that I liked the map anyway.

Support.
awp
I'm one of the people who used to abuse the old loophole. I'll obviously support this.
aRiskOfRain
I'm going to bump this because I reeeeally need it right now. Support.
Sakura
Support, i may need this someday
Topic Starter
mm201
All done. No it does not interfere with the sticky+safe break behaviour added in b12-whatever.