forum

new mechanical switches by razer (orange)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ -Neon- ]
http://www.razerzone.com/razer-mechanic ... blackwidow
this looks pretty good for playing osu :p any feedback?
Full Tablet
It seems they have stopped using Cherry MX switches.
Razer Greens seem to be based on the Cherry MX Blues.
Razer Oranges seem to be based on the Cherry MX Browns.
GoldenWolf

>60 millions keystrokes
Since it's razer, divide by 20 and it's probably closer from the truth.
Yano
MX Red still better xD
Luna
Razer product, so it'll probably break/start malfunctioning after a few months of moderate use.
petterroea

Luna wrote:

Razer product, so it'll probably break/start malfunctioning after a few months of moderate use.
This. I would go for corsair, as i have a better personal experience with their keyboards. Razer uses a lot of plastic, and it makes it feel weak and mass produced.

The keyboard i have now(K90) feels like a proper keyboard. Its front plane is metal, and it just generally looks and feels like a good keyboard.

This is only my opinion, though.
TakuMii
If it wasn't Razer, I probably would've wanted to pick up a BlackWidow TE Stealth to give it a try. The idea of a gaming switch based off of my favorite typing switch is enticing, but it's not really enough for me to want to switch back to a brand that has given me bad experiences in the past.
Rinku
Really interesting, anyone think it could be better then reds? Besides the fact that its razer and its probably going to break.
NixXSkate
It bugs me how everyone is saying it'll break fast or shitty because it's Razer. Razer does have SOME good products, not everything is weak or garbage. My BlackWidow and DeathAdder were able to survive my rage quite well, and I'd say that my BlackWidow was built a bit better than the Quickfire Pro I have now. But I agree most of their products are pretty shitty and weak.
Luna

NixXSkate wrote:

My BlackWidow and DeathAdder were able to survive my rage quite well
You are lucky then. I've had two Deathadders, and while I really like the size, weight and form, both of them broke within a year of use. I didn't even use them a lot or handle them with unnecessary force or anything. A friend had a Blackwidow and that one broke quickly as well, the wiring came loose and stuff.
Razer gear is good for as long as it lasts, but from personal experience I can say that that's generally not a long period of time.
NixXSkate

Luna wrote:

the wiring came loose and stuff.
How could the wiring come loose? It's a thick braided cable on a keyboard lol
I find it hard to believe that it would break from "casual use"

I would bang on the thing and it survived like 2 years until the switch in the spacebar broke. It was a 2$ fix though and I sold it to someone else. Not even any of its LEDs went out!

Edit: I do remember it was sensitive to my love juices though, if just a tiny bit got in, it would go haywire for a day. But after that it would always work fine. Maybe your friend gave it too much love?
Luna
I mean internal wiring, from the switches to the central board (whatever that thing is called in a keyboard)
Koreh
Coolermaster keyboard or bust.
GoldenWolf

NixXSkate wrote:

Edit: I do remember it was sensitive to my love juices though, if just a tiny bit got in, it would go haywire for a day. But after that it would always work fine. Maybe your friend gave it too much love?
what
Syden
Sounds appealing considering my keyboard already has four broken keys after just two months (a razer keyboard). Hopefully it would be an improvement, but considering all the negativity in regards to the durability of razer products, who knows.
NotCookie_old
Stop buying blackwidows
Thatgooey
I bought a Gen-1 Black Widow and it took years for just one key to stop functioning properly, and it was my K1 osu key. Everything else about it is working just as well as it did from the day that I got it. I have a gen-1 Death Adder that still works perfectly, even though the grip is obviously worn off after that many years. I guess everyone here has either really bad luck with theirs or plays football with them. I've had no issues other than my H key messing up, and I'm not even mad about that. Two straight years of osu after two years of gaming already before that...
GoldenWolf

Thatgooey wrote:

I guess everyone here has either really bad luck with theirs or plays football with them.
Yeah must be everyone unlucky and not you being lucky.
sstonn
The new Razer switches could very well be Kailh (Chinese Cherry ripoffs) switches. See this album for more info: http://imgur.com/a/7ujle

Courtesy ripster55 from http://reddit.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards/

The switch shapes are very similar and Kailh stems ride just a bit higher than Cherry, similar to the new Razer switches. They also activate at around the same point, 1.9mm.
Purple
60 million keystrokes

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Play osu! on that thing and I bet it will explode into a hundred sharp pieces killing and destroying everything within a 5 meter radius
Full Tablet

Doesn't look safe at all.
Weed
my deathadder broke after 2 weeks of moderate use (just browsing forums and such, not even playing an mmo or anything) i shall never buy another razer product no matter how good they make something sound

on that note it's funny how exaggerated the descriptions of their products are
Zerin
my deathadder works fine after 1.5 years but the scroll wheel broke after a month or two of use. now when i try to scroll up it sometimes scrolls down. pretty neat other than that and the fact that it gets dirty so easily
Rewben2

bewaredrev wrote:

my deathadder broke after 2 weeks of moderate use
how the heck does any mouse break after 2 weeks

I'm pretty sure if I threw my mouse against a wall every day it would be fine after 2 weeks

Anyways, aren't the new switches tactile? ew
Topic Starter
[ -Neon- ]
it is only on osu i hear bad stuff about razer, every single thing i bought from razer works just fine and doesnt break at all... even years after, my blackwidow being the latest one, bought it a year ago. if it would ever break as so many people are saying here i might buy this new version :p its hard to find the quickfire here in belgium (belgium azerty)
iderekmc

GoldenWolf wrote:

>60 millions keystrokes
Since it's razer, divide by 20 and it's probably closer from the truth.
isnt a normal mechanical 50 million keystroke? nice try razer
lolcubes

Full Tablet wrote:

Doesn't look safe at all.
Ahahaha, some truth in there, the keys are shattering.
Noobsicle

N3ON wrote:

it is only on osu i hear bad stuff about razer, every single thing i bought from razer works just fine and doesnt break at all... even years after, my blackwidow being the latest one, bought it a year ago. if it would ever break as so many people are saying here i might buy this new version :p its hard to find the quickfire here in belgium (belgium azerty)
its just the fact that razer has unstable quality control with most of their products. some people are lucky, others are not

also the blackwidow ultimate is fkn $229 AUD, may as well get a corsair rgb for the same price
Gigo
You guys must be raping your hardware or something... I have a rubberdome keyboard and I've been using it for 10 years now, works perfectly fine. 10 years... that must be older than some osu players!
uzzi
Hmm, it's either I get these, or buy some Cherry MX Browns...

I don't see what could be wrong with razer products (other than being overpriced), all my friends who have bought razer products have had them last for as long as they've bought them, which has been like 2-3ish years. Even my own Black Widow is still functioning properly without any keys being broken...EVEN THE PAINT IS STILL LIKE IT WAS WHEN I BOUGHT IT! ...maybe I was lucky...and so were my friends...
Luna
Well, I have an old office keyboard from 1995 that still works fine (keys got pretty stiff, but that's to be expected) and I certainly handled that one less carefully than my Razer gear, which broke within months of casual use. So yes, I'd say it's Razer's fault and not mine.
-Ephemeral-
I think we're going off about the quality of razer a bit too much here...
Based on experience, (I use a black widow ultimate and a CM storm quickfire pro), I find tactile bumps to be completely useless in playing osu!

When I bought my quickfire pro with red switches, it was pretty hard to type on at first due to the low actuation force, but after getting used to it and playing many rounds of osu! with it, I find that I just can't recommend someone to use a tactile switch instead.

So yea, I'd say just go for a linear switch if you're getting it for osu!
Syden

-Ephemeral- wrote:

Based on experience, (I use a black widow ultimate and a CM storm quickfire pro), I find tactile bumps to be completely useless in playing osu!
But what about that feedback? Some people find the clicking to be helpful, i for one really like blues because of that. I've never used any other type, so i can't really compare my experience. I was wondering about how the feed back was for reds?
Mathsma

Syden wrote:

-Ephemeral- wrote:

But what about that feedback? Some people find the clicking to be helpful, i for one really like blues because of that. I've never used any other type, so i can't really compare my experience. I was wondering about how the feed back was for reds?
No feedback on reds. When I switched to the browns I found the bump to be incredible. I always mashed down on my reds because there was no feedback and I never knew how far down to press, but with the browns I can stream with a lot more control now because I am not just smashing my keys.

I also found O-rings useful because when I put 2 40A-R orings on my keys I was able to reduce a lot of that deadzone on the keys so that I could bottom out without worrying too much.
Syden

Mathsma wrote:

No feedback on reds. When I switched to the browns I found the bump to be incredible. I always mashed down on my reds because there was no feedback and I never knew how far down to press, but with the browns I can stream with a lot more control now because I am not just smashing my keys.

I also found O-rings useful because when I put 2 40A-R orings on my keys I was able to reduce a lot of that deadzone on the keys so that I could bottom out without worrying too much.
How much speed would you say was sacrificed in turn for that? It sounds even more appealing to me, considering that i came from logitech g510 which has those plastic bump things. Orings is another thing on my priority list, considering i broke my z&x key from mashing. Would you say 2 40A-R orings would be enough for my keys aswell? I mash pretty hard, and i don't think i would mind reduced distance.
Mathsma

Syden wrote:

How much speed would you say was sacrificed in turn for that? It sounds even more appealing to me, considering that i came from logitech g510 which has those plastic bump things. Orings is another thing on my priority list, considering i broke my z&x key from mashing. Would you say 2 40A-R orings would be enough for my keys aswell? I mash pretty hard, and i don't think i would mind reduced distance.
The browns have the same resistance that the reds have, but they just have that bump that might reduce stamina if anything but I don't think it actually does. I didn't lose any speed when I switched to browns. Also, two o-rings would be fine. The o-rings do make the key feel a bit different though, but overall I like the new feel and the reduced dead zone that the keys have because of them.
show more