forum

South Park: The Stick of Truth

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sapphiire_old_1

South Park: The Stick of Truth is everything a fan could have asked for: one very long episode that you can play with. Shame for the censorship on the European version and for the simple gameplay.A side-splitting romp with all the sharp satirical humour we've come to expect from South Park. Strip away its wit and, despite a few flaws, you'll find a satisfyingly deep RPG. If you are a South Park fan you Need to buy this game
VoidnOwO

it begins
Blaziken
The DLC makes the game stupidly easy to a point.
ColdTooth
I really want this game, but the 60 dollars make me cringe so I'll wait.
Topic Starter
Sapphiire_old_1
its cheaper if you can buy it on steam
thelewa
this game is great
nooph
i loved this game. i thought it was really raunchy, even by south park's standards, especially the part where you had to fight a giant nazi fetus boss. i found the normal difficulty a tad bit too easy, so i'd recommend turning the difficulty up to hardcore in the options menu. i'd definitely recommend it to any south park fan.
Jarby
Dunno how I feel about The Stick of Truth overall as it's essentially a long South Park episode with arbitrary RPG mechanics that are very much like Costume Quest, albeit with slightly more customization options and strategizing. There's a wider variety of skills in The Stick of Truth with QTEs associated with them, but the novelty wears off fast and many of them share very similar (or even the same) button commands; it's mostly mashing a single button, mashing two buttons back and forth, mashing multiple buttons or simply clicking when a sparkle and audio cue occurs.

The most tedious portion of the game is Canada, where you're sent back and forth between several cities on fetch quests. There's the initial gimmick of the country being in an pseudo 8-bit style, but this is already an old gag (see: Super Meat Boy, Penny Arcade etc) and it doesn't really make it more interesting as you're sent all around the map.

Of course, all of this is more or less irrelevant if you're a fan of South Park as you'll likely enjoy it regardless. The lacklustre gameplay mechanics are used as vehicles for the game's humour, which is more the point of the whole thing. Whether you'll find it funny or not is another story; the crowning moment for some people I've heard are the (censored in Australia and Europe) anal probe sequences, a gag which dates back to 1997 for fuck's sake. Admittedly, the Simon Says joke on that level is pretty funny though. A lot of the jokes fall short for me in general, but it's not all bad.

In conclusion, I would only really recommend this to people who like South Park. I'm not a huge fan, but I did enjoy the game regardless; it's certainly not worth the retail price right now for 8 hours of gameplay, but it beats the hell out of the PS1 South Park games. For RPG fans interested in similar mechanics executed better, I would recommend Superstar Saga or Partners in Time.

[ xys ] wrote:

i found the normal difficulty a tad bit too easy, so i'd recommend turning the difficulty up to hardcore in the options menu.
Even Hardcore is pretty piss easy, to be honest.
nooph

Jarby wrote:

yeah, it still is. the fact that you can heal and still attack every turn really dumbs down the difficulty. that being said, if you stockpile a whole bunch of large health potions, the final boss isn't that difficult. i beat it on the first try.
Jarby

[ xys ] wrote:

Jarby wrote:

yeah, it still is. the fact that you can heal and still attack every turn really dumbs down the difficulty. that being said, if you stockpile a whole bunch of large health potions, the final boss isn't that difficult. i beat it on the first try.
Given the length of it, it's more or less necessary to have restoration items at that point (maybe not with Butters and defensive equipment), hence why there's a shop right before it.
neurosis
disgusting series
thelewa
South Park is a rather polarizing series and impossible to enjoy if you're prone to taking things seriously

or if you're not mentally a kid

I think the latter is the important part
Arcanine
puh puh puh pirateeeeeee
ColdTooth
My god everyone at my school is playing it.

Well, 50% of it, but still, mostly on the console, me, I'm a computer person.

SoG Tava wrote:

It is 60 dollars on steam, and has been I believe.
VoidnOwO

ColdTooth wrote:

SoG Tava wrote:

It is 60 dollars on steam, and has been I believe.
39,99€
59,99 $
Murasaki
Haven't played the game myself, but the Mr. Slave summon is beautiful.
Dafydd
I just lold in the "underwear stealing gnomes" chapter
Stefan
Have seen in a Livestream, there is no need to buy it for myself because the game is quite simple made. Especially for 40 euros this isn't worth to buy atm.