forum

Cloud storage of replays!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
petterroea
Got this idea for a small project, want to hear opinions before i use money on hosting. Also, i like brainstorming, so i like posting osu related project ideas here to see if it is executable or not;

I reinstall often, and when i do, i loose my replay files. This is because i allways forget to back them up.
Also, some people like sharing their good plays. It would be cool to provide a simple platform for this.

Therefore, i got the idea of making a service consisting of:

1. A client on your computer that looks for new replay files and uploads them
2. A website that hosts them.

Idea is that all your replays are automatically uploaded to the website, where they are kept for storage and sharing. There could be a control panel that shows all your replays, lets you mark some as private, lets you share them, and download them. I could also add a "convert to youtube" option, like osu!replay was(I miss it a lot).

Basically, a simple automatic replay uploader.

Problem could be paying for it. I have a job, so i earn money, but i dont know how many will use the service, and how many replays will be uploaded. I could have a "donate" button on the site, but i dont want to beg for money. Mabe offering a premium plan, and capping storage on normal users? Giving premium users a seperate "convert to youtube" processing server, for lower queue times? I dont know.

OPINIONS!

Also, i need a name.
mockingod
Rather than using your own service, you could probably make something that links to people's dropbox account (they have to log in) and cloud storage from there. I'm not completely sure if dropbox has a secure login thing that only allows certain features to be used though, sort of like how google accounts have certain permissions on different apps for mobile devices.
Full Tablet
As for storing only, you can just make Data/r/ and Replays folder symbolic links to folders inside the Dropbox/Box/Whatever Sync folder.
XPJ38
edit: nevermind
smoogipoo
If you want to create a test website/service of sorts, I could allow you access to my Amazon server, however it's not really powerful - I doubt it would be able to record or even run osu! well. I could also help with or create the desktop client and server (if needed).

Just a quick brainstorm - I could make a tool to generate the video frames from the replays (in such a way that it clones the osu! gameplay), so you don't need to load the replay and record the game.
Rasis
There is a project doing this already
peppy
Using dropbox is the recommended solution for this.