forum

Playing with both keyboard keys?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Grope_old
So I've seen heaps of videos of people using both the z and x keyboard keys in osu? How does that work? I only use one but I want to use two and I want to know how it works..
Keeby
using one is fine. Usually it's easier to use two when the notes are too quick in succession for only one key use.
buny
by pressing z and x
Yano
U will automatically use both when you play Higher AR or High BPM Maps

You will see
Sunlyx
It kinda depends on the beatmap.
Most people use them for streamers or just the occasional three click ones cause you can easily alternate between Z X Z to get a full 300, instead of clicking Z three times, cause you know, delay and whatnot.

Yeah.
But it kinda all depends on the beatmap, some might be slow and able to be get a good rank with one key only where others might need two.
Yeah.
Rewben2
Using both is completely necessary when you get to songs that involves streams. Easier songs hardly ever use 1/4 beats so you probably don't encounter ever needing to use your second finger. It's pretty straight forward, you press x or y on the keyboard to register clicks lol
NotCookie_old

Rewben2 wrote:

It's pretty straight forward, you press x or y on the keyboard to register clicks lol
instructions unclear, broke my keyboard
deletemyaccount
Essentially, you alternate between each key. Like you press z x z x z x. The main reason people alternate is for higher bpm(usually). Some players full alternate as personal preference but as a whole I believe majority of high level players mainly single tap and alternate only when they need to.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages, there have already been many threads discussing this. https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/121036
Weed
u srs m8
Volcanism
When I first started playing, I was also a single tapper, as many others most likely were. However, you will find as you start playing harder songs, you will need to use both keys to play them well. You'll most likely end up just picking up the technique along the way and get better with practice, as with anything related to this game. Also, if for whatever reason you find z/x uncomfortable, you could always map your keys in the options to something you find more comfortable.

In short, as you play harder songs, you'll somewhat be forced to use the technique and will eventually get used to it.
[ Stellar ]
Try it, it's very effective on high bpm songs.
When i started the transition from solo mouse to keyboard + mouse, I tapped with the spacebar (yeah, I know).
Then, the circles started to appear faster and it made me strain my hand trying to tap all the notes in quick session.

When using two keys, some people alternate, meaning they hit the both keys back and forth in order (z,x,z,x,z,x).
Others, the majority, single tap almost all the notes, and alternate only during streams or large stacks.

Practice and utilize which ever feels more comfortable to you, and you'll eventually see improvement in skill :>
Myke B
using both the z and x
you answered your own question.
nooblet
Use the second one when you need it or you can alternate everything ie. be a full alternator 'cuz it's awesome.

It's nice to know you can use two keys early... I didn't even know I could use a second key months into playing. Instant full alternator once I knew I could use two keys.

But you don't have to, it just makes things easier sometimes. I mean, some guy single-tapped Lolicore, so single-tapping 234bpm streams is actually a thing.
Rewben2

nooblet wrote:

single-tapping 234bpm streams is actually a thing.
wut
tokaku

Rewben2 wrote:

nooblet wrote:

wut
Arcanine
learn to alternate. play a slower map and practice hitting z and x one after the other.
Rokusho

nooblet wrote:

How about mad machine, TKiller singletapped the streams (270BPM)
Yano

trololol123 wrote:

nooblet wrote:

How about mad machine, TKiller singletapped the streams (270BPM)
WTF saw it yet o.O nice stamina and speed
buny
Pretty sure that score was cheated, but we'll just trust osu!'s anticheat system anyway and just say it was legit.