forum

Windows 8.1 or windows 7 hmm??

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WindyExplorer
So my new computer iam building is about to be done just waiting for my 2 770s to get here and then install the OS but honestly iam stuck i have had mixed talks with co workers that use windows 8 and then the rest use 7 so iam here asking everybody that usees 8 or 8.1 how do u find it ? when it comes to games and just basic useing it. XDD i can get either one due to where i work but i have used 7 nonstop and i said 8 doesnt look that bad but never had a change to try it xD.

soo i ask for your proness of the windows 8 users QQ
IppE
Do you want to play osu! windowed? Get Win7.

If not, it honestly doesn't matter.
TakuMii
^This.

I'm personally one who prefers Windows 8/8.1's interface, but I do acknowledge the fact that it does have its downsides. The latency when playing windowed (or borderless) is the only real problem I've encountered with games, but that can be avoided by playing fullscreen. Other than that, it really just comes down to preference.
Topic Starter
WindyExplorer
so 8.0 period gives delays with games ? every game or just osu in general. cause i plan to play alot more then just OSU! like blade and soul and tera and stuff like that thats why i honestly iam making the new computer. to have a open range of new games to play
TakuMii

WindyExplorer wrote:

so 8.0 period gives delays with games ? every game or just osu in general. cause i plan to play alot more then just OSU! like blade and soul and tera and stuff like that thats why i honestly iam making the new computer. to have a open range of new games to play
It only gives a delay when playing in Windowed mode. The delay isn't there when playing full-screen.
And keep in mind that the delay is fairly small, so it would only really affect faster-paced games like osu!. It shouldn't be as big of a problem with MMOs and stuff.
petterroea
I prefer 7, as i dont like the design of 8. It works bad with multiple screens IIRC aswell. I didnt find it good when i tried it, and reverted back to windows 7. Thats only my opinion though.
Nub1
I prefer 7 since my laptop mostly supported to 7

Ah, to answer ur question, I suggest if ur hardware mostly supported 7 u better use 7 and if its 8 so use 8
kouzuki_karen
Windows 8.1

but it really is a matter of personal choice
Topic Starter
WindyExplorer

Adicchi wrote:

I prefer 7 since my laptop mostly supported to 7

Ah, to answer ur question, I suggest if ur hardware mostly supported 7 u better use 7 and if its 8 so use 8
well ill be useing 3960x and 2 GTX 760 4gb each with 2 24 asus monitors, i only asked since thx to my job i can get either OS for hella dirt cheap like 60 bucks for each key. but i guess ill just stick with windows 7 then ;/ 8 looks cool but that start page kinda throwing me a meh.
Exw
My laptop was used to works on Windows 8 before. But lol idk, sometimes the boot stuck, so I install Windows 7. And if you would like to ricing your Windows. I wouldn't recommend you to use Windows 8. There's not so much different on performance though. Windows 7 is your friend.
If you're worriying about Windows 7 compability, Windows 7 still support until 2020.
TakuMii

WindyExplorer wrote:

but i guess ill just stick with windows 7 then ;/ 8 looks cool but that start page kinda throwing me a meh.
I think you'd actually have to use the Start screen for a bit before judging it. From my experience, it's not that great until you have it set up and customized (i.e. putting just the programs that you actually use instead of keeping all of the Metro stuff that it puts there), but I prefer it now and find it more convenient than the old Start menu.
D33d

YayMii wrote:

WindyExplorer wrote:

but i guess ill just stick with windows 7 then ;/ 8 looks cool but that start page kinda throwing me a meh.
I think you'd actually have to use the Start screen for a bit before judging it. From my experience, it's not that great until you have it set up and customized (i.e. putting just the programs that you actually use instead of keeping all of the Metro stuff that it puts there), but I prefer it now and find it more convenient than the old Start menu.
Same here, but it's definitely not essential. I didn't even realise that 8 (or 8.1) was causing the lag--I just thought my mouse needed new skates or I was suddenly too picky about it. If that's really an issue, then I'd stick with 7. Plus, 8 makes the chat's text really ugly for some reason.
Lewder
My friend bought a laptop with W8 (not 8.1) and it stopped booting after a week. I reformatted the HDD from whatever weird formatting W8 uses to NTFS and installed W7, he hasn't had issues ever since.
I personally also use W7 on a computer I assembled myself and it has never run other OSs. I've had a few Boot/OS-related issues but they have been SSD failures rather than anything to do with W7 and I doubt W8 would have worked out any better for me, not to mention that it wasn't even released yet.
Witch Mercy
I prefer Windows 7. :V
Critical Dude
Get Win8.1 if you want to experience things of the new generation PCs (not the reason I got it). Get Win7 for osu... that's it.
Windows 8.1 should be compatible with almost all things (like programs, games and other applications) that work for Windows 7.
Guuhan
Windows 8.1 just for the updated version of windows. Otherwise Windows 7 should be alright. If you wanna install either Win7/8.1 for a game. I suggest staying up-to-date
ruminine
Never used Windows 8, but since every single people say Windows 8 is awful, so 7
Shivarion
The appearance of W 8.1 is so complex that's why i still prefer W7 :D
But i heard some rumor that's say W 8 is the way more thrifty in battery case.