forum

Mouse Grip and Movement

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
spongypuppet
Hello everyone! My first forum post (technically, no)! And I'm here to ask for tips concerning mouse only and mouse + keyboard users. I'm a mouse + keyboard user and I'm having trouble playing. I'm probably the worst player here (at least, I think so) because I have a 90% accuracy (it increased, last time it was about 89%)and I'm on level 40. I'm not very concerned about my rank but I'm concerned about my "skills" (lol, it kind of sounds funny when I say that). I'm also on rank 168, 367. I'm sure you guys'll say that rank doesn't matter, I think so too. I just kind of feel anxious? lol

Anyway, back to the main topic. So I use a small optical mouse. I'm not sure which grip I'm using (claw grip? I don't know). My index and middle finger is positioned on top of the mouse buttons, my thumb on the left corner of the mouse. My ring finger touches the right side of the mouse and I also use it to lift the right part of the mouse. My pinky finger touches the mousepad. So my problem is that it's hard to move the mouse. Sometimes, when I'm going to make a jump, well, I don't know what's causing it but the cursor kind of slows down so I don't make the jump. It's probably just because I need to practice playing more but just in case, I had to ask. Oh and umm I forgot to mention this but I have a hard time using the mouse vertically as it feels uncomfortable so I use it in a slanted position. I don't know if the way I hold my mouse affects game experience so umm...

Anyway, I'm also going to ask what do you guys think is the best way to hold the mouse with the kind of mouse I have. I'm going to see if any of the grip you guys suggest will be comfortable for me.

That's all I guess, thanks! :D

P.S. I just realized this is the wrong forum to post this in so I'm sorry! D:
Nekoichi
Well it depends on how big the mouse is. I always play with my middle finger, ring finger, and pink on the side, then my index is half way touching the left click (since I only use X and Z) and my thumb on the left side. And I don't know any so-called grips out there, I just firmly grab onto the mouse and then move it with little force pushing down. Try adjusting the sensitivity as well, I have 1.40 on my Osu settings and always use a wired mouse instead of a wireless one :D
aBunny
sounds like acceleration. turn it off.
dont let your pinky touch the mouse pad.
eeezzzeee

sarasseo wrote:

sounds like acceleration. turn it off.
this. pinky touching the table can slow your movement a lot.
also, here is a good tool to remove mouse acceleration,
so your mouse wont occasionally "fly to a corner of your screen automatically" :D
ixsq
Fingertip grip on a small mouse (or any mouse, really) can be really accurate with proper control. I'd suggest increasing your sensitivity a bit and playing with just the bottom of your palm touching the mousepad and holding the mouse with the tips of your fingers.
aBunny
it would be awesome if you could tell us what your mouse is (brand/modelname/etc)
chanhien

sarasseo wrote:

Oh schitt,how do I even do this ._.
Topic Starter
spongypuppet
Haha. I guess I figured out what caused the problems. At first, I tried lifting my pinky finger while playing... helped a little, but it's still hard to move. Then I noticed my ring finger was touching the mousepad as well. At that point, I pretty much figured out the whole "slow movement" problem. I still have to get used to new way I hold the mouse though. I've also tried to increase sensitivity to 1.45, and played a map I that I previously can't complete, even though it's really, really easy. Max combo of 62, 5 misses and 91.54% accuracy. Thanks for the advice, everyone! :D :)

Well, when I said I need to get used to the new way I hold my mouse... I really need to because it's hard to spin and feels kind of awkward when I move. Should I change the way I hold my mouse?

By the way, I guess I'm holding the mouse with my fingertips.

@ixsq
I guess that means I need to learn how to control my mouse properly?

Last edit: After playing some songs repeatedly, I can confirm that I need to learn how to control my mouse. Jumps are my weak points. Even short range jumps. Gonna play some more. Perhaps I'm worrying too much. It's better to have fun than get frustrated, right? Fingers crossed, I hope I'm gonna improve by doing so.