Aesthetic HD Skin [osu! | mania] - Version 1.3.1

posted
Total Posts
show more
Xaffy
Osk is improperly zipped.

Osu will unzip it as skins\Aesthetic\Aesthetic
BoWAct
It is the best in the skin of a lot!  :)
Topic Starter
Redon
It's been quite a while. I finally got myself to finish the mania skin that I've been working on, and I'm releasing it today along with a few minor changes to the existing skin.

I tried to follow the same style and basic principles I used for the standard skin: A colorful flat theme, as simple as possible while still being pretty to look at.

The skin comes with keys and notes in white and the six colours you may know from standard, which can be combined in any way you like. I hope to create a little online tool as a convenient solution that allows everyone to compile their own color setup in mania without having to mess around with the .ini files, but until then that's the only way. If you need some help, feel free to ask.

The osu! standard skin has been updated for skin version 2.2, but is otherwise mostly the same, aside from a few minor adjustments.
Check the changelog if you're curious.

As always I appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. I haven't been playing mania for all too long, so I'm curious to hear if you find anything that can be improved. Here's a video that shows what the mania skin looks like in 7k.

Download Link: Aesthetic.osk (v1.3, 5. June 2014)
(Zip archive: Aesthetic_1_3.zip)

File size: 16.9 MB

If you've downloaded the skin already and want to update, make sure you delete the old version first.

Changelog
Version 1.3
  1. Added mania skin, including keys and notes in 6 different colors and white.
  2. Various changes to support skin version 2.2 and the new beatmap panels:
  1. Adjusted menu-button-background and stars
  2. Fixed alignment of ranking letters on the new beatmap panel layout
  1. Added cursor smoke
  2. New hitcircleselect in the editor
  3. Small adjustment to the normal-hitnormal hitsound
  4. Added the updated menu buttons that should have been there last time
  5. Added a Target Practice mod icon
  6. Changed the mania Fade In mod icon
  7. Slight adjustment of the colour scheme of all hitbursts, mod icons and menu options
  8. Added a little glow to the approach circle to make it appear smoother
  9. Adjusted the hitlighting
  10. Probably more that I forgot about because it's been a while.
Version 1.2
  1. New small ranking icons
  2. Adjusted shading of default and ring hitcircles from being too bright and flat to a pastel look.
  3. New color palette
  4. New font choices to fit the recent osu! redesign: Updated mod icons, hitbursts, score and default numbers and more.
  5. Changed "Spun Out" mod icon
  6. Adjusted pause and fail screen
  7. Added menu snow
Version 1.1
  1. New and improved hitsounds for normal and soft set
  2. Added alternative big cursor, slight change to default cursor
  3. Improved followpoints - quicker fade
  4. Added missing spinner-rpm.png
  5. Added purple to default combo color palette

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed ideas or left a friendly comment!

Scalded wrote:

When is the next update :((( can't wait for more changessssss
Now! Mostly mania though. The osu! skin is complete as it is and will most likely only see small adjustments in the future.

RoleyKatsu wrote:

One thing I found weird was the inconsistency with the Pause/Fail/Result screen buttons, which seemed to have used a different typeface (Tahoma (or Verdana? Not sure) instead of Aller) for the Continue/Replay/Menu buttons.
Thank you for pointing this out! I'd already replaced the menu buttons with the new font way back, but apparently forgot to copy-paste them into the 1.2.1 release. I made sure I added the right ones this time. (And, yes, that was Tahoma.)

Xafnia wrote:

Osk is improperly zipped.

Osu will unzip it as skins\Aesthetic\Aesthetic
This is not supposed to happen, and must be an issue with osu!. I believe this happens when the skin folder already exists? In any case, I've tested it and I can assure you the .osk unzips just fine when the existing Aesthetic folder is deleted or renamed first.

nitek1109 wrote:

This skin is awesome :)
what font was used to score ?
The font used throughout the skin is Aller, the same font used by osu! ever since it abandoned Tahoma (Thank god).

ReteX wrote:

i cant see spinner-approachcircle
can you fix?

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

I feel this too, only downside of the skin it feels like spinners just come out of nowhere and ive never had that feeling with other skins, theres usually a subtle warning that has me spinning before the spinner shows up
I assume you're talking about the spinners as they were when the approach circles were temporarily removed? This should have fixed itself now. Without the approach circle, the spinners were indeed difficult to spot on time. If you think this is still a problem, please let me know.
Ayesha Altugle
I swear I saw the mania mode for this skin on technical support
Topic Starter
Redon
A note to everyone who uses an older version of this skin: Chances are your spinner is broken (once again), and you might be wondering what happened to it. Ever since a recent update, the game forces the old spinner behaviour in every skin where a spinner-background.png file is present, which was the case in the older versions of Aesthetic. I removed the file from the skin in the download, but you can also fix it by doing that yourself.

vahn10 wrote:

I swear I saw the mania mode for this skin on technical support
You might mean this thread?
Ayesha Altugle
Yep.
Koibi
that fail spy quote lol
Yaiishi
Thank you for the updates. I have been using the majority of this skin for quite a while now. I don't see myself changing it any time soon.
Scalded
What's cursor smoke?
Topic Starter
Redon

Scalded wrote:

What's cursor smoke?
It's a little feature that was introduced a while ago, which allows you to draw on the screen with smoke particles while playing a beatmap. I think the default bind is C. Here's an example: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1682995
Adzetko
I don't know much about skins, but the default Osu! main menu logo don't seems to match a lot with this skin, can't that be possible to change it?
Topic Starter
Redon

Adzetko wrote:

I don't know much about skins, but the default Osu! main menu logo don't seems to match a lot with this skin, can't that be possible to change it?
Unfortunately, it's not possible to skin the logo in the title screen and song selection, so there's nothing I can do about that.
Scalded

Redon wrote:

Scalded wrote:

What's cursor smoke?
It's a little feature that was introduced a while ago, which allows you to draw on the screen with smoke particles while playing a beatmap. I think the default bind is C. Here's an example: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1682995
Thanks , interesting feature :D
nty_old
Amazing skin, I love the elements used with the mania skin, especially the lighting.

Do you plan on doing a Taiko or a Catch the Beat portion to this, or is it strictly Standard/Mania?
Topic Starter
Redon

nty wrote:

Amazing skin, I love the elements used with the mania skin, especially the lighting.

Do you plan on doing a Taiko or a Catch the Beat portion to this, or is it strictly Standard/Mania?
I'm glad to hear you like it!

I do plan on making this a skin for all game modes eventually. However, I'll start on the other modes when I feel like it and found some ideas, so it might take a while longer. Taiko will most likely come first.
Ayesha Altugle

Redon wrote:

Taiko will most likely come first.
YES!
Piine
I swear to god this skin is just wayyyy to epic.
Nausicc
i really like it!
i just changed slider follow circle (i don't like to have one)

waiting for taiko and ctb :)

thanks for make it :P
Squishy Squishy
Say im curious too know how you got the little pictures on the song selection tab? thats really cool,
Topic Starter
Redon

Shinn0 wrote:

Say im curious too know how you got the little pictures on the song selection tab? thats really cool,
That's another feature that was added to osu! very recently. As far as I know, the picture previews only show up in skins that use skin behaviour version 2.2 or above, so that's why it may seem new to you. Try checking the song selection on the default skin, it should have the little pictures as well.
Genjitsu
ummmm, the mania-hit300g text is 'flawess', is it a mistake or intended?

anyway, nice skin. currently using it.
Topic Starter
Redon

pondokers wrote:

ummmm, the mania-hit300g text is 'flawess', is it a mistake or intended?
I hadn't even noticed. That's definitely not intentional. It probably went unnoticed because it's only the case on an element that isn't even supported (yet?). I'll fix it in a minute, thanks for pointing it out!
Haskorion
it shows the first frame of the mania-hit on ranking panel on all judgements. so it's not that important to fix. It seems mania prioritizes the first animation frame over the static non-animated ones.
Topic Starter
Redon

ReddScorn wrote:

it shows the first frame of the mania-hit on ranking panel on all judgements. so it's not that important to fix. It seems mania prioritizes the first animation frame over the static non-animated ones.
Exactly, but it shouldn't, which is why I created this thread. I added ranking panel versions anyway with the hope that this will be fixed one day.
OsuMe65
I bet that is intended for some reason. No idea why
Blood Heyzar
Довольно удобна ^_^
draco20
really love this skin :) but i think the combobreak.wav almost can't heared... ver 1.3
sorry my english is bad...
Topic Starter
Redon

OsuMe65 wrote:

I doubt it, since it's not consistent with the way it works in Taiko and Standard. It makes no sense for it to be this way, the mania ranking panel doesn't support animations either.

draco20 wrote:

really love this skin :) but i think the combobreak.wav almost can't heared...
Glad to hear you like it! The combobreak sound has always been like this, though since it's a very deep sound I can see why it might be hard to hear depending on what you use as audio output. I will see if I find a way to make it suitable for everyone, or include an alternative combobreak sound. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, here's another small update, which includes a new Pause/Fail screen, along with some fixes and other minor adjustments.

I also added a black version of the score font set. What for? If you're into playing with minimal distractions, you can use it to "turn off" score and combo information during gameplay, while it'll still be (more or less) visible on the ranking panel.

How to
Find the skin.ini in the Aesthetic folder, and change the following line

ScorePrefix: fonts/aller/score

to

ScorePrefix: fonts/aller/black/score

Download Link: Aesthetic.osk (v1.3.1, 10. June 2014)
(Zip archive: Aesthetic_1_3_1.zip)

Changelog
Update 1
  1. New Pause/Fail screen
  2. Fixed typo on osu!mania hitbursts and removed three unnecessary note files
  3. Cursor-smoke redone to fix the nasty edges in SD, and reduced in size
  4. Added osu! and osu!mania mode icons
  5. Moved default and score fonts to a separate folder, and added a black score font set
  6. Small adjustments to default and score fonts, scorebar, small ranking letters, reverse arrow and key overlay

RIP selection options
Luccyous

Redon wrote:

OsuMe65 wrote:

I doubt it, since it's not consistent with the way it works in Taiko and Standard. It makes no sense for it to be this way, the mania ranking panel doesn't support animations either.

draco20 wrote:

really love this skin :) but i think the combobreak.wav almost can't heared...
Glad to hear you like it! The combobreak sound has always been like this, though since it's a very deep sound I can see why it might be hard to hear depending on what you use as audio output. I will see if I find a way to make it suitable for everyone, or include an alternative combobreak sound. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, here's another small update, which includes a new Pause/Fail screen, along with some fixes and other minor adjustments.

I also added a black version of the score font set. What for? If you're into playing with minimal distractions, you can use it to "turn off" score and combo information during gameplay, while it'll still be (more or less) visible on the ranking panel.

How to
Find the skin.ini in the Aesthetic folder, and change the following line

ScorePrefix: fonts/aller/score

to

ScorePrefix: fonts/aller/black/score

Download Link: Aesthetic.osk (v1.3.1, 10. June 2014)
(Zip archive: Aesthetic_1_3_1.zip)

Changelog
Update 1
  1. New Pause/Fail screen
  2. Fixed typo on osu!mania hitbursts and removed three unnecessary note files
  3. Cursor-smoke redone to fix the nasty edges in SD, and reduced in size
  4. Added osu! and osu!mania mode icons
  5. Moved default and score fonts to a separate folder, and added a black score font set
  6. Small adjustments to default and score fonts, scorebar, small ranking letters, reverse arrow and key overlay

RIP selection options
I like this new pause screen. :)
draco20

Redon wrote:

The combobreak sound has always been like this, though since it's a very deep sound I can see why it might be hard to hear depending on what you use as audio output.
one thing i forgot. i don't use any headset so maybe it's my problem :)
VRTheChamp
This skin looks so clean and awesome, I downloaded it and play a few maps with it and it feels really cool :D
I really look forward to more skins from you!
Abhay-
LOVE IT !! >_<
L O S T 30-3
Cool skin! 8-) Really like the hit sounds. If you don't mind would you please tell me how to remove the progress bar/chart, ranking and blackout the score,thank you.
The Monk
great skin, hitsounds are great, no problems with the skin, hope to see further updates ;D
roleykatsu
Hmmn, I think the blank sound file for ready.wav was saved incorrectly, because whenever I play a map that has the countdown enabled, it plays the default "Are you Ready" sound file instead. Upon inspection of another skin (Luminance), it seems like the correct name for the file should be readys.wav

Also, is it just me or are the score-1 images slightly more grey/transparent than any of the other score-number images?
Image example:
Under some background conditions, the contrast between "1" and any other score number isn't that big, but on other backgrounds, there is some difference. Though maybe my eyes are tired and/or I am hallucinating. That, or I'm picky.
Toshi-Kun
I have a random suggestion, but I think it should consider under the "Extras".

the spinner-rpm on clockwise.
Metal
Hey, I'm noticing a kind of bothersome square border around the smoke (skywriting).

Vorgh
Best skin ever :)
Rise_old_1
Those hitsounds are lewd, the skin is generally amazing.

I especially like the ring hit circle's!
KanekiKen_old
Awesome :o :o
show more