forum

Aesthetic HD Skin [osu! | mania] - Version 1.3.1

posted
Total Posts
show more
- Omikorin -
using your skin, thx alot! i really love flat-ish theme :)
Sentient_DELETED
awesome skin!!!
puxtu
yeah keep going
Scalded
When is the next update :((( can't wait for more changessssss
Mofu kun
using it。loving it!
NeruNeru
Good skin :D
tokaku
Ah, what a beautiful skin. I'm jealous. I wasn't around then (I was for awhile but only noticed when the update came, I was a noob and used the default skin on 100% brightness) I think the reason why there isn't many simplistic skins that use a lot of transparency is because back then peppy only let background dim if the player completed the map once. Playing with a completely transparent skin on a bright background was annoying and deleting backgrounds was a hassle. Anyway, GJ. Great skin!
GenoClysm
I like it.
lesterjim238
Thanks for this skin :) 8-)
ThisManzzz
This skin is TOO good! I immediately replaced my old skin with this one, and know of a couple of people who already ditched a few elements (if not the entire skin) with yours. I tried to take this type of approach with my skin - called "Simple" - but I got distracted, and the quality of my work wasn't nearly as good as yours.

So thanks for this skin! I see this skin having a great future, and with enough support, even those higher ranking players using skins from 2009 will adapt and change their skin to this.
Jashin_old_1
awesome skin :D
Muv Acid
Freaking love the skin!
Awesome work! ^^
WingSilent
Nice. :)
Thya
Love it!
roleykatsu
Absolutely gorgeous skin. Can't wait to see its future progress.

One thing I found weird was the inconsistency with the Pause/Fail/Result screen buttons, which seemed to have used a different typeface (Tahoma (or Verdana? Not sure) instead of Aller) for the Continue/Replay/Menu buttons.

I wanted to rid of the inconsistency, so I created a new imageset for the according buttons.

Quick Comparison
Original

New Set

Gif Comparison

Download the .ZIP here. For the sake of troubleshooting and being able to revert the image elements in case you prefer the old set, the ZIP includes both the original set and the set I have created. I recommend you storing the folder found in the ZIP within the Extras folder of the Aesthetic skin.

Hope others will enjoy it! And again, this skin is fantastic. Keep up the great work!
MajicPants
This skin is beautiful like its one of the only skins I'm fine with 100% and don't need to change anything
ReteX
nice
Vuelo Eluko

ReteX wrote:

i cant see spinner-approachcircle
can you fix?
I feel this too, only downside of the skin it feels like spinners just come out of nowhere and ive never had that feeling with other skins, theres usually a subtle warning that has me spinning before the spinner shows up

It may have something to do with 800x600

Otherwise this is amazing and i've gotten some great results using it! great health bar, circles, and hitsounds, my second favorite skin and thats saying something because i have a lot of skins.

but because of the spinners coming without warning i can only give 9 ducks out of 10
Lorenzo
Looks fantastic!
Haguki
Great skin, love me, thanks for your job; well done. *u*
Xaffy
Osk is improperly zipped.

Osu will unzip it as skins\Aesthetic\Aesthetic
BoWAct
It is the best in the skin of a lot!  :)
Topic Starter
Redon
It's been quite a while. I finally got myself to finish the mania skin that I've been working on, and I'm releasing it today along with a few minor changes to the existing skin.

I tried to follow the same style and basic principles I used for the standard skin: A colorful flat theme, as simple as possible while still being pretty to look at.

The skin comes with keys and notes in white and the six colours you may know from standard, which can be combined in any way you like. I hope to create a little online tool as a convenient solution that allows everyone to compile their own color setup in mania without having to mess around with the .ini files, but until then that's the only way. If you need some help, feel free to ask.

The osu! standard skin has been updated for skin version 2.2, but is otherwise mostly the same, aside from a few minor adjustments.
Check the changelog if you're curious.

As always I appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. I haven't been playing mania for all too long, so I'm curious to hear if you find anything that can be improved. Here's a video that shows what the mania skin looks like in 7k.

Download Link: Aesthetic.osk (v1.3, 5. June 2014)
(Zip archive: Aesthetic_1_3.zip)

File size: 16.9 MB

If you've downloaded the skin already and want to update, make sure you delete the old version first.

Changelog
Version 1.3
  1. Added mania skin, including keys and notes in 6 different colors and white.
  2. Various changes to support skin version 2.2 and the new beatmap panels:
  1. Adjusted menu-button-background and stars
  2. Fixed alignment of ranking letters on the new beatmap panel layout
  1. Added cursor smoke
  2. New hitcircleselect in the editor
  3. Small adjustment to the normal-hitnormal hitsound
  4. Added the updated menu buttons that should have been there last time
  5. Added a Target Practice mod icon
  6. Changed the mania Fade In mod icon
  7. Slight adjustment of the colour scheme of all hitbursts, mod icons and menu options
  8. Added a little glow to the approach circle to make it appear smoother
  9. Adjusted the hitlighting
  10. Probably more that I forgot about because it's been a while.
Version 1.2
  1. New small ranking icons
  2. Adjusted shading of default and ring hitcircles from being too bright and flat to a pastel look.
  3. New color palette
  4. New font choices to fit the recent osu! redesign: Updated mod icons, hitbursts, score and default numbers and more.
  5. Changed "Spun Out" mod icon
  6. Adjusted pause and fail screen
  7. Added menu snow
Version 1.1
  1. New and improved hitsounds for normal and soft set
  2. Added alternative big cursor, slight change to default cursor
  3. Improved followpoints - quicker fade
  4. Added missing spinner-rpm.png
  5. Added purple to default combo color palette

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed ideas or left a friendly comment!

Scalded wrote:

When is the next update :((( can't wait for more changessssss
Now! Mostly mania though. The osu! skin is complete as it is and will most likely only see small adjustments in the future.

RoleyKatsu wrote:

One thing I found weird was the inconsistency with the Pause/Fail/Result screen buttons, which seemed to have used a different typeface (Tahoma (or Verdana? Not sure) instead of Aller) for the Continue/Replay/Menu buttons.
Thank you for pointing this out! I'd already replaced the menu buttons with the new font way back, but apparently forgot to copy-paste them into the 1.2.1 release. I made sure I added the right ones this time. (And, yes, that was Tahoma.)

Xafnia wrote:

Osk is improperly zipped.

Osu will unzip it as skins\Aesthetic\Aesthetic
This is not supposed to happen, and must be an issue with osu!. I believe this happens when the skin folder already exists? In any case, I've tested it and I can assure you the .osk unzips just fine when the existing Aesthetic folder is deleted or renamed first.

nitek1109 wrote:

This skin is awesome :)
what font was used to score ?
The font used throughout the skin is Aller, the same font used by osu! ever since it abandoned Tahoma (Thank god).

ReteX wrote:

i cant see spinner-approachcircle
can you fix?

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

I feel this too, only downside of the skin it feels like spinners just come out of nowhere and ive never had that feeling with other skins, theres usually a subtle warning that has me spinning before the spinner shows up
I assume you're talking about the spinners as they were when the approach circles were temporarily removed? This should have fixed itself now. Without the approach circle, the spinners were indeed difficult to spot on time. If you think this is still a problem, please let me know.
Ayesha Altugle
I swear I saw the mania mode for this skin on technical support
Topic Starter
Redon
A note to everyone who uses an older version of this skin: Chances are your spinner is broken (once again), and you might be wondering what happened to it. Ever since a recent update, the game forces the old spinner behaviour in every skin where a spinner-background.png file is present, which was the case in the older versions of Aesthetic. I removed the file from the skin in the download, but you can also fix it by doing that yourself.

vahn10 wrote:

I swear I saw the mania mode for this skin on technical support
You might mean this thread?
Ayesha Altugle
Yep.
Koibi
that fail spy quote lol
Yaiishi
Thank you for the updates. I have been using the majority of this skin for quite a while now. I don't see myself changing it any time soon.
Scalded
What's cursor smoke?
Topic Starter
Redon

Scalded wrote:

What's cursor smoke?
It's a little feature that was introduced a while ago, which allows you to draw on the screen with smoke particles while playing a beatmap. I think the default bind is C. Here's an example: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1682995
Adzetko
I don't know much about skins, but the default Osu! main menu logo don't seems to match a lot with this skin, can't that be possible to change it?
Topic Starter
Redon

Adzetko wrote:

I don't know much about skins, but the default Osu! main menu logo don't seems to match a lot with this skin, can't that be possible to change it?
Unfortunately, it's not possible to skin the logo in the title screen and song selection, so there's nothing I can do about that.
Scalded

Redon wrote:

Scalded wrote:

What's cursor smoke?
It's a little feature that was introduced a while ago, which allows you to draw on the screen with smoke particles while playing a beatmap. I think the default bind is C. Here's an example: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1682995
Thanks , interesting feature :D
nty_old
Amazing skin, I love the elements used with the mania skin, especially the lighting.

Do you plan on doing a Taiko or a Catch the Beat portion to this, or is it strictly Standard/Mania?
Topic Starter
Redon

nty wrote:

Amazing skin, I love the elements used with the mania skin, especially the lighting.

Do you plan on doing a Taiko or a Catch the Beat portion to this, or is it strictly Standard/Mania?
I'm glad to hear you like it!

I do plan on making this a skin for all game modes eventually. However, I'll start on the other modes when I feel like it and found some ideas, so it might take a while longer. Taiko will most likely come first.
Ayesha Altugle

Redon wrote:

Taiko will most likely come first.
YES!
Piine
I swear to god this skin is just wayyyy to epic.
Nausicc
i really like it!
i just changed slider follow circle (i don't like to have one)

waiting for taiko and ctb :)

thanks for make it :P
Squishy Squishy
Say im curious too know how you got the little pictures on the song selection tab? thats really cool,
Topic Starter
Redon

Shinn0 wrote:

Say im curious too know how you got the little pictures on the song selection tab? thats really cool,
That's another feature that was added to osu! very recently. As far as I know, the picture previews only show up in skins that use skin behaviour version 2.2 or above, so that's why it may seem new to you. Try checking the song selection on the default skin, it should have the little pictures as well.
show more