forum

So I've just disabled mouse acceleration. Tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zexous
I've had mouse acceleration on my entire life, apparently, as it was worded kind of ambiguously as "Enable pointer precision". I've just disabled it after googling it, but my skill level instantly dropped to somewhere near half perhaps and I can't pass anything now. I hope it's because I just changed, and that I will eventually improve with it, but any tips for unlearning mouse accel/tips for doing well as a player who is used to having mouse accel on all the time?
itsRadikal
Just keep playing, it was also weird for me at first when I turned it off.
Lolzy
Play
NoYzE
Yep. Practice.
FieryLight
Maybe you should look for a sensitivity that you can more quickly adapt to. Other than that, just play lots to get used to it =)
buny
get a tablet
Topic Starter
Zexous

buny wrote:

get a tablet
damn it shitbuny
AmaiHachimitsu
Find the lowest sensitivity that lets you reach the edges of the screen comfortably or if you have a small mousepad, adjust the sens to its size.

And later, just play! You must build your muscle memory now, should take some time to master the mouse, but you should see effect pretty quickly.
Almost
Taking off mouse acceleration is like cutting a large amount of dpi of course you would have a large skill drop.
Myke B
how do you get more precise/better with your mouse after turning off accel? Do you want me to come to your house and hold your mouse hand while you play for you? I guess I could do that.
Saint_old
turn it back on
Sorun

Saint wrote:

turn it back on
do it
Blueprint

Zexous wrote:

I've had mouse acceleration on my entire life, apparently, as it was worded kind of ambiguously as "Enable pointer precision". I've just disabled it after googling it, but my skill level instantly dropped to somewhere near half perhaps and I can't pass anything now. I hope it's because I just changed, and that I will eventually improve with it, but any tips for unlearning mouse accel/tips for doing well as a player who is used to having mouse accel on all the time?
I don't know much behind disabling pointer precision but while I used the mouse, I disabled accel but I left pointer enabled.
FlameseeK
Adjust your dpi properly so that it fits your style. Some players like to make small movements to move their mice, so they need high dpi. Other players, me included, like to use the full range of motion of their fingers to increase precision - this requires you to adjust your dpi to as minimum as possible while still being able to reach the top and bottom of the screen comfortably. Some players prefer mid sens. And some players like very low dpi and move their mice with their arms quite a bit.

If your mouse doesn't come with a program, you can't adjust your dpi and need a gaming mouse to do so. Otherwise, you will either have to stick to the default dpi of your mouse, or adjust sens settings which actually makes your cursor skip pixels (yeww). But aside from that, get used to your new dpi and profit. And if it doesn't feel comfortable, obviously all you have to do is readjust it.

That being said, I think even if your mouse isn't very good, it's better to stick to the default dpi or even skip pixels than having accel on, because accel will make you skip pixels too anyway.
winber1
If you've been playing with mouse acceleration the whole time, what your arm is memorizing is more so the speed at which to move the mouse, and not actually distance, and generally its much harder to memorize the speed of movement rather than just the distance itself. Essentially, you just have to learn a new skill pretty much. I mean playing with mouse acceleration is not entirely unrelated to without acceleration, but the skills involved I would say are quite different. Because of that, you are probably over shooting close notes and undershooting far away jumps, well at least that's what happened to me when I switched back in the day.

It just boils down to practice. And as said, switching to a comfortable dpi in which you can traverse the whole screen is very important.
Blueprint
Seriously though do try leaving acceleration off and turn pointer precision back on.
buny

Blueprint wrote:

Seriously though do try leaving acceleration off and turn pointer precision back on.
implying they aren't the same thing
AmaiHachimitsu
Actually they aren't, but I don't get the "disable acceleration" thingy. You can do it in some top-tier mice, but it still won't disable the accel completely.

And pointer precision should be off, he will soon learn how good it is.
buny

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Actually they aren't, but I don't get the "disable acceleration" thingy. You can do it in some top-tier mice, but it still won't disable the accel completely.

And pointer precision should be off, he will soon learn how good it is.
pointer precision IS acceleration
it just doesn't remove it completely. You need to change your registries

saying to have pointer precision on but acceleration on is a contradiction itself.
ixsq
I started playing osu! with a mouse that had seemingly no acceleration. I didn't even know what acceleration was until my original mouse broke and I had to buy a new one. My shit was all over the place.

Bottom line is what reason do you have for disabling it? The difference won't really make you a "better" player.

Saint wrote:

turn it back on
Koreh
I had it on forever then turned it off and changed my dpi from 1600 to 2100 and I got used to it in 30 minutes.
AmaiHachimitsu
changed my dpi from 1600 to 2100
I guess your movements are precise as fuck