forum

Unfair scoring system?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Norae
lets say 2 people are versing and one of the guys misses one note at the START of the song and the other misses one note in the MIDDLE of the song and lets say that was the only note they missed. The person that missed the note will get the higher score yet what is the difference between missing a note at the start or middle? and does that mean the guy who missed at the start will have a higher PP than the guy who missed in the middle? cause i don't see the difference... if i could ask for all ur opinions that'd be great.

P.S. This is not a QQ post but rather what i think about the system and why i think its kind of unfair.
Noobsicle
e.g 1000 combo song

person A breaks at first 10 combo and ends up getting max 989 combo

person B breaks at 499 combo and ends up getting max 500 combo

person A will have a higher score than person B due to higher combo

however if person B has higher accuracy than person A (e.g 99.5% compared to person A's 96%), actually i don't know if the pp system will reward person B greater than person A but yeah

tl;dr just aim to get consistent and accurate as hell and fc everything pls and ty
Topic Starter
Norae
Then lets say a person misses 1 note at the START on a 1000 combo song and gets 999 combo and the guy who misses that one note at the END of the song he still gets 999 combo but the person who missed at the start will have a higher score due to the multipliers since the first note is only worth like 300 points and if you're on lets say 900 combo points i'm pretty sure you get atleast 100k points per note o_O so therefore in the case i just brought up there is absolutely NO difference in stats other than one person missing at the start and the other missing at the end.
AmaiHachimitsu
No, the multiplier applies to combo, not to the object in order. First note is worth 300 because it's the first of the combo. If you break your combo, the first circle after would be worth 300 points as well.

As to the scoring in overall, the combo is the most important and maybe it's not 100% fair, it's the best option. Remember than rankings are designed rather for those who can FC maps.
Topic Starter
Norae

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

No, the multiplier applies to combo, not to the object in order. First note is worth 300 because it's the first of the combo. If you break your combo, the first circle after would be worth 300 points as well.

As to the scoring in overall, the combo is the most important and maybe it's not 100% fair, it's the best option. Remember than rankings are designed rather for those who can FC maps.
What would be the difference between missing at the start or end? on a 1000 combo song they both have 999 combo but the person who missed at the start will still have a higher score wouldn't they?
Reborn

NoRae wrote:

What would be the difference between missing at the start or end? on a 1000 combo song they both have 999 combo but the person who missed at the start will still have a higher score wouldn't they?
u w00t m8?
i think u should think about it again
RaneFire

NoRae wrote:

Only a valid example if one player has 998 combo, and the other has 999. Both players have 1 miss, both have 999 combo, which will add up to the same if their accuracy is 100% minus the miss. Where you get your 100's and 50's applies to the combo's current value, so early 100's are less detrimental than getting a 100 at the end. But breaking combo is breaking combo. If you swap "break" with "get a 100," then the example applies.

Scoring system may be unfair, but PP attempts to bypass this by only looking at your combo and your accuracy compared with the number of misses, 50's and 100's. It "attempts to" because your highest score is still the only one that counts towards your pp so you can't replace a better performance with a lower score. This has been talked about already (impossible to fix atm) so let's not go into that.

Remember that holding a combo is a major component of aiming, so holding a longer combo will still reward more, even in PP, but significantly less than score does proportionally, even though they are directly linked anyway.
Myke B
Eh.. that's just the name of the game. Nobody takes multiplayer super serious, but I guess it might apply to OWC? even so.. that's the thrill I guess? Combo is the best scoring system right now.
ElykColdster
Breaking combo in the middle of the map may ruin your chances of gaining PP if the song isn't significantly hard. Best to just be consistent enough to get as high combo as possible by the end or FC the whole song.
Ekaru
It's this system because it's what Ouendan used and this game was originally pretty much an Ouendan clone. It's too late for peppy to change it to something more accuracy-based.