forum

[Rule change] Custom diff names

posted
Total Posts
show more
peppy
Okay then here's my only compromise: You can name the highest difficulty something tastefully different from the rest under the following conditions:

It can't be a username, or anything related to a username.
The other difficulties should make sense in an increasing scale way, as previously discussed.

My goal here is to avoid the difficulty name becoming a way of determining the mapper. This is an unintended use and I will never stand for it.
dkun
Fair compromise, peppy. I'll be amending this into the rules shortly.

EDIT: Thanks to SapphireGhost for this!
A difficulty's name must indicate its level of difficulty, with the exception of the hardest level of difficulty in a set. The mapset's hardest difficulty may use an appropriate custom difficulty name, unrelated to a username. Mapsets may also use a complete set of custom difficulty names that clearly indicate their level of difficulty to the player. Marathon maps with a single difficulty may use free naming.
jonathanlfj
Any restrictions for naming marathons (approval)? As in if they have to be named "Marathon" and not something like "Extra Stage" "Death" or "WHO"S AFRAID OF THE ASDF". If we are only allowed to name them "Marathon" then it might be a good idea to amend that into the rules as well.

EDIT: opps just saw that the proposed rule actually has approval naming included. Would be great to have everything resolved as far as naming goes.
Stefan
as long we don't have things like http://osu.ppy.sh/b/18919 it sounds okay.
Jenny
Marathons have to have that name to bypass the 24mb archive size limit, don't they, so that should be one thing - about shorter ones, I don't really know; it's not like there were tons of them to begin with?
Liiraye
Finally a good rule as a change of pace.
Ozato Fumika
I was discussing this in #kroean... and got some interesting questions.

What if the mapper's username is related to a difficulty? for example, Fast, Death, etc.

Will they be able to use their username as a diff name?

If not, wouldn't that be unfair because other people get to use 'Fast' or 'Death' as their diff name but they don't?
[CSGA]Ar3sgice

No Dap wrote:

What if the mapper's username is related to a difficulty? for example, Fast, Death, etc.

If not, wouldn't that be unfair because other people get to use 'Fast' or 'Death' as their diff name but they don't?
"what if Lunatic becomes a mapper"

Groumiezi
"what if Lunatic becomes a fan a bemani and a mapper"
Lunatic's Lunatic
No.
Luna's Lunatic
Yes.

Why you pointing to username instead touhou theme?

well good :D
Loctav
Use your common sense :P
I doubt it gets troublesome if the user "Lunatic" calls hid hardest difficulty "Lunatic".
There is also the user "Hard". Don't worry about that.
ColdTooth
So I could name a difficulty "Demented" if a song is called "Demented Cupcakes"? Sorry for the dumb question.
silmarilen

ColdTooth wrote:

So I could name a difficulty "Demented" if a song is called "Demented Cupcakes"? Sorry for the dumb question.
the answer can literally be found in peppy's post last page

peppy wrote:

Okay then here's my only compromise: You can name the highest difficulty something tastefully different from the rest under the following conditions:

The other difficulties should make sense in an increasing scale way, as previously discussed.

My goal here is to avoid the difficulty name becoming a way of determining the mapper. This is an unintended use and I will never stand for it.
yes it is allowed, if it is the hardest diff in the mapset
CXu
So what about Amamiya Yuko's use of "Skystar"? or if I suddenly decided to name my hardest diff shoe
It's only related to his previous username.
Luna
What if I suddenly started mapping standard diffs and called them Luna-tic, would that be okay? =P
Also, RIP Nogard, 0180 and others~
neonat

Luna wrote:

What if I suddenly started mapping standard diffs and called them Luna-tic, would that be okay? =P
I think it should be fine? Play of the normal difficulty names still show the level of difficulty
dkun
By the way, this is only the highest diff, and the highest diff alone, regardless of guests.

No Dap wrote:

As long as the difficulty name makes sense (ie: Normal/Hard/Insane/Death), then I say this would be okay.

ColdTooth wrote:

This would be okay, yes.

CXu wrote:

So what about Amamiya Yuko's use of "Skystar"? or if I suddenly decided to name my hardest diff shoe
Still related to a username that doesn't fit with No Dap's view. I would say no.

Luna wrote:

This would be fine, yes. Fits with No Dap's view.
Nyxa

peppy wrote:

Does this mean that if I want to give all my Extras the same name (i.e. I name all my Extras [Origin] and have a regular ENHI spread besides that) it's still against the rules, because that way you can determine that it was me mapping that diff? It wouldn't be related to my username, but it would still be something I do consistently, so in the end it'd be the same thing as [0108] or [Rin]. This question would mostly apply to difficulties like [Nogard], everybody knows it's BD's difficulty, but I don't see how it's related to his username.
Mismagius

-Scylla- wrote:

This question would mostly apply to difficulties like [Nogard], everybody knows it's BD's difficulty, but I don't see how it's related to his username.

seriously.
loldcraft
why not fix the problem of guess diff modders by allowing the map creater name in the brackets be changable, its pointless to tell me 4 times that this beatmap has been posted by user xyxy, especially since its common knowledge that only maps from that mapset expand out when you click on the song and all mapsets are posted by 1 user?
Nyxa

Blue Dragon wrote:

-Scylla- wrote:

This question would mostly apply to difficulties like [Nogard], everybody knows it's BD's difficulty, but I don't see how it's related to his username.

seriously.
Sorry for not knowing that. Just meant it as an example.
blahpy

peppy wrote:

I think that this will make a lot of people happier! It sounds like a fair compromise.
Nyxa
What about diffs like tutuhaha's "Dance"? They aren't related to his username, but when I see [Dance] I know it's a tutuhaha Extra. How would that work?
Stefan

Tess wrote:

What about diffs like tutuhaha's "Dance"? They aren't related to his username, but when I see [Dance] I know it's a tutuhaha Extra. How would that work?
I guess you're talking about https://osu.ppy.sh/s/128554 . Well, shouldn't be ranked because it's not related to the username nor to the song. I am not sure how this works with cases like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/44750 : when the hardest Difficulty is related to the song title.
Nyxa

Stefan wrote:

I guess you're talking about https://osu.ppy.sh/s/128554 . Well, shouldn't be ranked because it's not related to the username nor to the song. I am not sure how this works with cases like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/44750 : when the hardest Difficulty is related to the song title.
He didn't say it has to be related to the song title, though.

peppy wrote:

Now, I guess you could say that "Dance" became related to his username because he uses it in the same way as [0108], but that would basically mean that you're not allowed to use the same diff name for two Extras, regardless of whether it's related to your username or not (because if you always use the same diff name for your Extras, it still becomes a way of identifying you). I was just asking for clarification on this matter, it'll probably just be that things like [Dance] wouldn't be allowed for tutuhaha, but wouldn't that be taking it a bit far?
silmarilen
you guys are way overthinking this
Ayesha Altugle
about the user name Hard if that particular user made a guest diff into a particular map and it is a hard diff.

How it will be that particular diff called?
Nyxa

silmarilen wrote:

you guys are way overthinking this
I agree, but I feel like that rule still isn't very clear, and that can only lead to (unnecessary) problems in the future, since users will just start arguing about what it means while nobody actually knows, since it was never defined. It doesn't mention anything about repetitive custom difficulty names unrelated to the mapper's nickname, that are still a way to identify the mapper. I already mentioned tutuhaha's [Dance], but I recall Kyshiro using repetitive custom diff names for an entire set (Fine, Superior, Exquisite, Epic). Those became unrankable since it's (apparently) not very clear which difficulty is which, but if a mapper came up with four rankable custom diff names that they use in all their sets, that would also be a way of identifying the mapper.

It may be nitpicking at stupid little details, but doing that can only prevent stupid arguments in the future.
Chloe

you must know some diffs were made for only a few pros and they can know it well, the true reason we used it is not for let more players know us and we become famous since something like creator's name/Skystar's xxx is enough.
we just,
"uh, this is my best work"
"uh, I was so satisfied with it"
so there'd be Rin/0108/Skystar
Stefan

vahn10 wrote:

about the user name Hard if that particular user made a guest diff into a particular map and it is a hard diff.

How it will be that particular diff called?

Loctav wrote:

Use your common sense :P
I doubt it gets troublesome if the user "Lunatic" calls hid hardest difficulty "Lunatic".
There is also the user "Hard". Don't worry about that.
on the previous page. Anyway, she is calling her Hard GDs as Hard's Hard.

Chloe wrote:

you must know some diffs were made for only a few pros and they can know it well, the true reason we used it is not for let more players know us and we become famous since something like creator's name/Skystar's xxx is enough.
we just,
How is a very hard Difficulty related to the name how it's getting called?
Vuelo Eluko

Chloe wrote:

we just,
will be sad to see those difficulty names go as well known and established they are
Liiraye
Peppy has his idea of how he wants his game to be portrayed. Going on about this is pointless when he has already compromised enough imo. The reasoning is very understandable. Difficulties can be named w/e as long as its escalating.

Just let the rule rest now~
Ayesha Altugle

Stefan wrote:

Anyway, she is calling her Hard GDs as Hard's Hard.
That's what I'm thinking about! I'm just not so sure
BeatofIke
The rule has been finalized already. Don't use your username as a difficulty name. Simple as that.
Use the map description, name change, your judgment, (or something) if necessary.
If you have any doubts about this rule, try asking peppy yourself maybe?

I highly doubt that using default difficulty names as usernames would be the issue. :P
dkun

dkun wrote:

By the way, this is only the highest diff, and the highest diff alone, regardless of guests.

No Dap wrote:

As long as the difficulty name makes sense (ie: Normal/Hard/Insane/Death), then I say this would be okay.

ColdTooth wrote:

This would be okay, yes.

CXu wrote:

Still related to a username that doesn't fit with No Dap's view. I would say no.

Luna wrote:

This would be fine, yes. Fits with No Dap's view.
All notable examples are listed here.

If you have any questions to how this rule should play out, send me a PM.
dkun

peppy wrote:

Following this, I'm going to amend the rule's wording (at the end considering Marathon maps).

Maps cannot resemble anything related to a username. This is the basic fundamental of the compromise for this rule and will not be abused in any manner.