Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
750
show more
Deva
If you play 6-7* maps then its extremely important. Everything under that can be played by cursor dancing all the time.
And considering your rank i think that you should let it come to you naturally.
icewolf159
I would say everything is true and it has a lot of good advice. One thing I would disagree with however from my experience is the part about tablets. Even though my first attempt at using tablet failed terribly, after 3-4 days I'm already playing at the same level as I did with a mouse, and in a week I can play maps I used to have much trouble with In 2 weeks I S ranked those maps that were impossible prior to getting a tablet. While tablet didn't make me instantly better, my improvement rate quadrupled after getting a tablet.
Endaris

icewolf159 wrote:

I'm already playing at the same level as I did with a mouse
This is completely normal.
The peripherals don't matter as much. Just think please.
A lot of your skill lies in your tapping hand and in your eyes and in your brain.
When playing on an easy level of gameplay(and you certainly do) there isn't real muscle memory you can build up in terms of aim cause every map is just distance-snapped 1/1, 1/2 slider-circle spam.
So effectively 95% of your ability transfers over.

Also aiming - which is a big hurdle for mouse-users at the beginning - is much easier with tablet but you will eventually run into trouble with your cursor-stability which is a problem mouseplayers simply dont get.

Personally I would suggest you to download some beatmap packs as you seem to play only very few maps again and again which generally hinders improvement as you start to memorize the maps unconsciously.
Antlia-
actually once I started up my tablet everything got so much easier, I'm still not an awesome player but the tablet was just so much for me
J_8579
I took a break from osu! for a few months. I decide to come back, and surprisingly, I notice an improvement in my aim and stamina when I play offline.
Endaris

F1r3tar wrote:

I took a break from osu! for a few months. I decide to come back, and surprisingly, I notice an improvement in my aim and stamina when I play offline.
Connecting to Bancho=instant skilldrop? xD
Yuudachi-kun
It's actually in his head.
J_8579

Endaris wrote:

Connecting to Bancho=instant skilldrop? xD
No, I just get nervous when I play online.
J_8579

Khelly wrote:

It's actually in his head.
Nah, I got an S on a map I wasn't able to before. I got some damn nice combos on maps that were too hard beforehand.
Firis Mistlud
Fuck me, I can't remember the beats of the song for some reason

That's why I only sightread maps with shitty 95% accuracy
Senpai Spiny
SoberBro
Thank you for taking the time to help others and myself. I find you're absolutely right about these.
Just as a side note, I also love the way you type.
Sarthorious
This game is seriously not newbie friendly, since there isn't a correct difficulty scale (stars are broken) and the newbie doesn't know how to improve, so he try to play hard stuff after practicing around 5 days and then develop bad habits.

To solve this problem, a star rating of difficulty should be based in general opinion of the players of all levels, but this game is so poorly designed, that it forces you to learn what is needed to get PP and try to beat players who have been playing for a very long time osu!standar or other rhythm games. It doesn't reward competing against yourself with a quest system, level up system, "titles" determined by your skill. This game doesn't feel like a game, it feels more like an arena where players fight between them, without skill distinction, to obtain pp and be the best.

The concept behind osu is totally messed up and I have not doubt that the popularity of this game will decrease once there are few potentials players to join this.
Mahogany
That's the newbie's fault, though, for ruining themselves. People are perfectly willing to give proper advice if they're willing to listen.

I've always found stars to be reasonably correct with few outstanding exceptions.

You're never forced to learn what's needed to gain PP. Only if you care about ranks. A quest system in a rhythm game? How would that work? There's already a levels system. I don't see the benefit of titles. In my opinion, the PP system is the perfect reward for competing. I think this game feels plenty like a game for me. In fact, it's the closest thing to a pure game I have found in a long time, with no story or anything to get in the way: Just pure gameplay.
Sarthorious
I can see that you like the game; but your opinions are extremely biased, and you don't have enough knowledge about rhythms games.

"Quest system" -> check o2jam, DJMax Trilogy, Beatmania IIDX, etc... Could provide a lot of fun and motivation to compete against yourself and not again others (aka pp)

Titles -> check Lunatic Rave 2 internet rankings, http://www.dream-pro.info/~lavalse/LR2I ... =gradelist ... Very fun too, somewhat hardcore, feel proud about something "tangible" which have value and very motivating.

Once you are a bit more mature, I think we can continue this conversation, because I except you to not begin to defend something you like for the pure fact of defend it.
Endaris
idk, osu! wasn't that competitive before ppv2 I think.
There's no need to become really good at this game and people can just enjoy themselves playing, be it solo or in multi with friends.
You might think that osu! is really competitive but it isn't unless you want it to be. None forces you to compete with other players, you can play offline for your entire life.

Besides from that there are no newb-friendly rhythm-games therefore I don't see why osu! should try to become one. And I think star difficulty has a decent degree of accuracy for the lower star brackets(below 3/3.5) ;)
Mahogany

Fabi- wrote:

"Quest system" -> check o2jam, DJMax Trilogy, Beatmania IIDX, etc... Could provide a lot of fun and motivation to compete against yourself and not again others (aka pp)
I personally find PP as a perfectly acceptable way to provide fun and motivation, though, and don't quite see what's wrong with that.

I don't understand anything in that rankings list.

Fabi- wrote:

Once you are a bit more mature, I think we can continue this conversation, because I except you to not begin to defend something you like for the pure fact of defend it.
I'm defending it because I disagree with what you say completely. I do feel this game rewards competing against yourself with the PP system. I feel that the game is far more newbie friendly than any other rhythm game I've ever played, and I do feel it's perfectly possible to enjoy the game without caring for ranks, and I do not feel the concept behind osu is totally messed up, because I don't even know what you're calling messed up.

So I guess my point is that I don't see what your point is. Yes, there's the possibility that those things would improve the game, but the game is already a very solid game as it is, and already rewards progression, and I feel it's a bit of a far cry to call the game "Totally messed up" or "doesn't feel like a game"
Sarthorious
Mahonagy, if you re read my post you will notice that I never said that pp doesn't encourages competing against yourself, but my critique is against the lack of resources to compete against yourself. You can play this game offline, enjoy it as much as you can in multiplayer with friends, enjoy the songs, but this game promotes too much competing against others in an atmosphere where a newbie would find really skilled players who maybe didn't play osu too much, but at least played other rhythm games. And to add more salt to the problematic, and to understand what I meant with "The rank system is broken", you just need to put some very high rank players to play some old maps with low AR, or let some of them play slow BPM streams, or weird patterns, then ask yourself "what's hard?". Maybe you won't understand this right now.

So if this game is focused on competing against others, how are the newbies going to actually be able to compete against others? How do you except a 2015 player, that will play non-stop till 2018 to beat an old player who has experience in many kind of aspects including low AR, weird or disliked patterns among the players, slow BPM streams , etc... if the progression in this game is viewed mainly from a PP perspective?

Probably only experienced players in musical instruments or other rhythm games like the beatmania series, will be able to successful improve correctly and then they will have a chance to compete against the others.

At least this guide is a very good resource to obtain knowledge and maybe a good preparation for what this game is making you want, talking in broad terms.

Don't bother answering this reply, since I don't have time to read this again and I left standar a long time ago, but came back a bit for o!m, but I will be totally AFK from now.
Mahogany

Fabi- wrote:

lack of resources to compete against yourself.
Oh, well in that case I'll have to agree to disagree. Chasing FCs and PP is plenty rewarding for me. I agree there could be more but I don't personally see a need for anything else, as I personally feel PP and the feeling of my own progression is satisfying enough by itself.

Fabi- wrote:

"The rank system is broken", you just need to put some very high rank players to play some old maps with low AR, or let some of them play slow BPM streams, or weird patterns, then ask yourself "what's hard?". Maybe you won't understand this right now.
Well that depends on whether the high rank players bother to know low AR/BPM or weird patterns. It's not practical knowledge for ranking, so a good few won't, because the community at large doesn't seem to like those values.

Fabi- wrote:

So if this game is focused on competing against others, how are the newbies going to actually be able to compete against others?
The same way everyone else competes? By playing the game of course, and improving yourself. I've gotten to 5k in a year, so it's definitely not difficult to compete as a new player.

Fabi- wrote:

How do you except a 2015 player, that will play non-stop till 2018 to beat an old player
Rafis signed up only 2 years ago and is currently rank 2 globally. It's very much possible.

Fabi- wrote:

low AR, weird or disliked patterns among the players, slow BPM streams , etc... if the progression in this game is viewed mainly from a PP perspective?
Those values aren't favored among the community and you're unlikely to find any of those values in a newer ranked map, so they're not relevant to PP, honestly. A majority seem to dislike them, or at least not enjoy them, so they don't get made.
Sarthorious
Damn dude! I came back to check this thread because I was interested in the opinion of the people, extrapolating it from you, but you don't seem to understand anything I say! xDD! Internet conversations are not for me. I'm done.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply