forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
koki_old_1
to all of you seek skill
Korean proverb saying if you want to catch the tiger, you need to go to a cave of tiger
what should you do?
buny

lovu wrote:

to all of you seek skill
Korean proverb saying if you want to catch the tiger, you need to go to a cave of tiger
what should you do?
move to korea and go to cookiezis house
Everwhite

buny wrote:

lovu wrote:

to all of you seek skill
what should you do?
move to korea and go to cookiezis house
Agreed c:
Gumpy
Just become a korean you will become pro in moments.
Toadsworth
It may have been mentioned previous, but rrtyui doesn't snap to notes and he is by far the best player in osu! currently (pp doesn't prove skill for all those about to say that sayo is better)
f i z i k

DatPenguinTho wrote:

It may have been mentioned previous, but rrtyui doesn't snap to notes and he is by far the best player in osu! currently (pp doesn't prove skill for all those about to say that sayo is better)
sayo is better

edit:/ proven by pp
edit2:/ ofcourse he snaps but sayo is still better,proven by pp
Toadsworth

f i z i k wrote:

DatPenguinTho wrote:

sayo is better

edit:/ proven by pp
edit2:/ ofcourse he snaps but sayo is still better,proven by pp
Go watch rrtyui's Rainbow After Snow replay, he doesn't snap enough for most people to think he is snapping.

Sayo is not better, he even says that himself. Plus, pp does not prove anything as look at HappyStick, he is amazing at the game yet he is below people he is better than.
Korakov
How surprisingly, it really happened to me.
aro-no-baka
want to say its a bull#$*( in fact every1 can start playing ar 9 maps but it you stay at this point etc me for like month and you have tryhard for real to complete a map in fullcombo( if you are korean) it is worthless, to be honest i have seen my improve to ar 9 but it ended up, however i keep playing this game and just started looking for threads like this one. Dunno why but i feel like my skill ended up, even after following ur tips cant do s%&*.
timemon
I would probably go with the ladder.
got it
when you see long streams, you prepare the ladder.
thx m8 doing stream never been this easy!
This really helped :D thank you so much!
SomeGuy_old_1
Does anybody srs need this huge of a guide? This is a game where you press a circle and after that you press another one and maybe hold it few times and spin it once or twice its as basic as it gets. Why would you need a guide for it. Only thing that you need to do is consistently play. That's only useful tip you can give. Everyone who complains "I am not improving" is mostly 1st day player or just fat arses who can't be bothered to actually play the game so they just complain. That's my take on this.
Vuelo Eluko

SomeGuy147 wrote:

Does anybody srs need this huge of a guide? This is a game where you press a circle and after that you press another one and maybe hold it few times and spin it once or twice its as basic as it gets. Why would you need a guide for it. Only thing that you need to do is consistently play. That's only useful tip you can give. Everyone who complains "I am not improving" is mostly 1st day player or just fat arses who can't be bothered to actually play the game so they just complain. That's my take on this.
you havent played long enough to hit any walls in your progress yet but trust me they happen and they're demoralizing when they do. don't just blindly judge everyone. i wanted to quit a few months ago when i spent about 3000-4000 plays getting no better even just playing stuff i couldn't do well on but i pushed past it and started slowly improving again. just that progress wall was nearly 10 times more plays than you even have total... so yeah it can wear on the mind. i was logging in every day and getting consistently lower scores on my local rankings than my previous ones on songs i already played. nonstop. for nearly 2 months.
SomeGuy_old_1

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

SomeGuy147 wrote:

you havent played long enough to hit any walls in your progress yet but trust me they happen and they're demoralizing when they do. don't just blindly judge everyone. i wanted to quit a few months ago when i spent about 3000-4000 plays getting no better even just playing stuff i couldn't do well on but i pushed past it and started slowly improving again. just that progress wall was nearly 10 times more plays than you even have total... so yeah it can wear on the mind. i was logging in every day and getting consistently lower scores on my local rankings than my previous ones on songs i already played. nonstop. for nearly 2 months.
Yeah, but you like look at Dota2 or TF2 or cs go where people hit really big progress walls which makes them quit the game because of complicated tactics or too big pressure a lot of times and here people need guides with a game that is as basic as it can get. Why would you even play this if you don't enjoy it in the first place :shock:
Vuelo Eluko
its simple but by no means easy. its hard to explain and you probably wouldnt understand it anyway you just need to play more and see for yourself.
Amphetamine

SomeGuy147 wrote:

Yeah, but you like look at Dota2 or TF2 or cs go where people hit really big progress walls which makes them quit the game because of complicated tactics or too big pressure a lot of times and here people need guides with a game that is as basic as it can get. Why would you even play this if you don't enjoy it in the first place :shock:
Hmm... where do i start here... Well let me just say that I can somewhat see where you're coming from someguy the concept of the game is fairly simplistic I mean you don't have to be a genius to play osu! but let me also say that if you simplify things that much, then of course, you could make anything look pretty friggin easy. Oh Dota2 capture other teams side pick up a few items get some skills learn some strategies simply by playing. See what i mean? I believe Dota2 is probably a fairly hard game (reason being why I'll never play it) but osu! and Dota2 are both difficult just in different ways. Dota2 requires more mental reasoning and planning and strategizing. osu! is probably more taxing physically requiring you to use your hands repetitively, build up muscle memory, It's also fairly taxing mentally having to have patience, learning how to read maps and patterns, learning how to not smash your computer into a million pieces when you keep missing the same thing over and over etuhcuh(etc.).

Now I'm not gonna make this an "osu! IS HARDER THAN DOTA2" comment because first off that's not what the point is, and second I've never played Dota2 (thank god). The thing with the games you listed is that there is (for the most part) a clear and precise way to improve primarily through mental processing. If you had the ability to memorize every strategy, you could probably do just fine in the game granted you didn't have issues clicking buttons, in which case, why are you using a computer in the first place? The thing about osu! is that there really is no one surefire set way to get better in fact there's so many different ways you could improve that trying to create a one best way method would be completely pointless. You have to take it upon yourself to go in and find your own way to learn, first hand, thrown into the deep end.

Sure you could say that "OH well if that's the case just go in and play harder songs get better" and state it as simple as that if you wanted, and if you did, I'd believe you should reconsider. The thing is that playing songs to improve itself becomes the issue most of the time because of a few small things. You seem to have missed the fact that you can practice something for hours and never get much closer to actually doing it correctly. Maybe you're playing a map and you constantly get a combo break on a slider and can't figure out why, or maybe, you always seem to miss a stream that you know you are fast enough to be able to do. That is what i like to call hitting a wall. Most of the time we hit that wall because we are either:
A) Not skilled enough
or
B) We haven't really been playing correctly in the first place

Now the thing about this is that you can go quite a looooong time without ever realizing you were doing something wrong in the first place. Not following sliders all the way through leads to slider breaks. "NO I SWEAR I'M DOING IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH" Then if you look back at your replays on half time you'd probably be surprised at just how much osu! allows you to be wrong and still counts it as being done correctly. The only problem with that is when you play more difficult songs those sliders are a lot more unforgiving and your combo breaks but you don't realize why because you've been doing the same thing you've always been doing and it has never steered you wrong before. That's the real issue.

Why does someone need a guide for a game like osu!... I would say it's because of the fact that it seems so easy. The first time i watched someone playing osu i thought "Oh yeah that's easy could do it no problem SS every song" but when i actually played it i realized i had no idea what the double F*@#$ I was doing. Not only that, I also had no idea what i was doing wrong because in my head I was doing everything perfectly only to finish an easy song with a 75% thinking that someone in the world of osu! was out to get me... Okay I wasn't that paranoid...(or was I?!?!... I kind of was) The point is that a lot of times you're doing things incorrectly that you think you're doing correctly so how exactly are you supposed to ever figure out how to fix something if you don't know what the problem is in the first place? You start at the basics, however, if you never grasp the basics in the first place then how are you supposed to know where the hell to start? You look for advice from outside sources. If these outside sources simply say "PLAY MORE PRACTICE GET NOMNOMS GAMEOVER" then how is that ever going to help you at all? Well, they're probably not.

I'm not going to make the assumption that you haven't hit any walls yet, maybe you have and like to figure things out for yourself, hell, I don't know your life story. With that being said you should show others that same respect. Don't assume that because somebody uses others for references on how to improve it's because they're lazy or just aren't trying hard enough. Usually it's the people who try extremely hard and still fail who look for outside sources because the, as you stated, "fat arses" would have probably just given up entirely.

TL;DR version: None. I didn't write that much for my own health. If I could've found the words to shorten it don't you think I would've just done that in the first place?
CRTY
Haha, so true, and I love the humour indicated in this. I belive this is the first time I've read something this long on the internet. Well done sir.
Antares
Well..

I starded playing some month ago with a good mouse and a random logitech keyboard. I used to play alternating.

Went for a tablet and serious kb with reds 3 weeks ago and played a bit. My aim went on par with mouse after a few days, but my tapping felt weird, so i started to play mostly singletapping (mostly due to the many threads on the forums which say "it's easier, it's better, instacookiezi 900bpm").

In addition, during this transition to new equip i had to move and buy new chair and desk.

Since the switch not only i've not seen any improvement, but i'm slowly getting worse, i don't even know if that's possible.
Right now i'm rotating beetween 15-20 maps i like and i think that's a major issue.

What i'm supposed to do now?
I'm the kind of guy who plays a map over and over 'till fc, is this a bad thing if you want to improve?
What kind of maps should i play? My streaming is dumb over 150 bpm, even if i'm decent at jumping i often break sliders and miss the random easy parts :(

I'm depressed ~_~
Vuelo Eluko

Antares wrote:

"it's easier, it's better, instacookiezi 900bpm").
its funny that even the claims of "300 bpm streaming" when people say you'll be cookiezi are purely ironic. Cookiezi was terrible at high bpm streams. We have people now that can stream faster than cookie easily like happystick. It was his only real weakness though.

play more get used to the switch. you made a pretty big one to be sure. 15-20 maps isnt enough to transition properly imo. turn on snaking sliders, if ind thats better for doing/reading sliders, random missing easy parts is a fact of life.
Sharkie
Going to completely ignore the conversation up ^there.
I agree with everything, I like to impress people, but not all the time.
I think the key, not just to osu, but to basically a lot of other things, is moderation.
One word that literally solves everything.
Just my opinion, though. (Even though I don't follow it myself)
Dawgy

Antares wrote:

Well..

I starded playing some month ago with a good mouse and a random logitech keyboard. I used to play alternating.

Went for a tablet and serious kb with reds 3 weeks ago and played a bit. My aim went on par with mouse after a few days, but my tapping felt weird, so i started to play mostly singletapping (mostly due to the many threads on the forums which say "it's easier, it's better, instacookiezi 900bpm").

In addition, during this transition to new equip i had to move and buy new chair and desk.

Since the switch not only i've not seen any improvement, but i'm slowly getting worse, i don't even know if that's possible.
Right now i'm rotating beetween 15-20 maps i like and i think that's a major issue.

What i'm supposed to do now?
I'm the kind of guy who plays a map over and over 'till fc, is this a bad thing if you want to improve?
What kind of maps should i play? My streaming is dumb over 150 bpm, even if i'm decent at jumping i often break sliders and miss the random easy parts :(

I'm depressed ~_~
From my experiences, I have found two ways to play this game:

1) You can play to gain Performance Points.
2) You can play to improve.

I find that there is a distinction between these two because if I'm trying to gain Performance Points, chances are I'm going to be playing a beatmap that:

a) Isn't very challenging
b) Has very little margin for error/improvement (if I'm trying to FC a song... doesn't that mean I already have it almost mastered anyways?)
c) Must be played over and over again for the desired result, which happens to be a result nothing short of perfection

So yes, I do find problems with trying to FC songs in order to improve. Personally, I'll get frustrated when attempting the same song dozens of times in a row, to the point where I actually start doing worse than what I accomplished on my first attempt. At this point, you're playing to 'not fuck up,' and is that a realistic goal to set for yourself when playing a game like osu!?

INSTEAD, find beatmaps that you simply have difficulty passing (these do exist for everyone, although for the highest caliber of player these might be considered unranked warm up maps). Find beatmaps that you actually like for songs that you actually enjoy. Set your goal not to perfection, but to simply passing the map. Find as MANY beatmaps as you can that fit this category (I personally have a collection of about 150 maps that I alternate through; I grow tired of a single song fairly quickly).

You won't notice improvement right away, as that'd be unreasonable. However, you'll notice you are enjoying yourself a lot more as you throw yourself into extremely challenging content with a larger margin for error.

Also, add me as a friend if you'd like to talk about this in further detail some time. I have about 5500 different beatmaps on osu! and I also have friends that are extremely talented at this game that have shared their wisdom with me (<3 TrickMirror).

In short, it's fun to improve, but don't burn yourself out by trying to improve with a tactic that requires zero margin for error. That will just cause frustration and will cause you to not enjoy playing osu! as much, which is counterproductive towards improvement.
Antares
Thanks Dawgy, that's pretty much what i started to do yesterday.

Instead of playing the usual 10-20 songs, i just typed "AR=9" into the search field and played anything the F2 key brought me to. Sometimes you get the accessible map. sometimes the one you didn't pass and so on.
It's indeed a funny way to play, but, more surprisingly, i was able to fc some map on the 3th-4th play!

Added you as friend! Thanks for the detailed reply.
weixiao

thelewa wrote:

I just read all of this and surprisingly everything is true
Xechasate
my bro got me to start playing today and told me to read this,
it's helpful, so thanks!
sayonara_sekai
how the hell do i get good at heavily spaced fast singles? Like 90% of my misses these days are from quick spaced lines of singles. I know I'm supposed to play the beat in my head to hit them but I still fuck up more often than not. Its not physically possible for me to snap each of them either.

If any of you have any maps with lots of stuff like that around 3.5-4 stars I would love to have them
Insyni

phonics wrote:

how the hell do i get good at heavily spaced fast singles? Like 90% of my misses these days are from quick spaced lines of singles. I know I'm supposed to play the beat in my head to hit them but I still fuck up more often than not. Its not physically possible for me to snap each of them either.

If any of you have any maps with lots of stuff like that around 3.5-4 stars I would love to have them
Do you mean like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/49101 but less stars?

or

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/50234 (less stars but much slower and closer)
jiyo
been playing for 3 years and still not good
Vuelo Eluko

iiCookiesii wrote:

lol.
Karuta-_old_1

iiCookiesii wrote:

with a 779 playcount, I doubt you did do much playing
ChuTwo_old
been playing sp a lot, reache lvl 52.

goes into multiplayer

gets rekked by lvls, 13, 21, everyone else.

is it because I'm playing with 2000 DPI
B1rd

iiCookiesii wrote:

in 3 years you've played less than I do in a week?
Vuelo Eluko

ChuTwo wrote:

goes into multiplayer

it's because you think level matters :roll:
GoldenWolf

ChuTwo wrote:

goes into multiplayer

It's because you never challenge yourself and keep playing easy maps all day instead of harder one to improve
Madokaaa
In my opinion, to get better you must challange yourself alot and come to like songs that you don't like at all. I mean if you don't like Vocaloid, nightcore, brony, classic music ect. Just think about it in different way. When i started playing osu! I didn't like anything other than dubstep and electro and such. Now i like all sort of music because i play osu. Just my opinion though. :)
triplesteel
Always test your skill but don't do songs you cannot possibly do.

osu! is a very difficult game to get used to, don't give up easily

Always try new beatmaps, find something you like to listen to. This motivates you.

Another tip I have is when you're able to do 4 star+ maps, you can test yourself by going back to older easier songs and playing around with the mods like double time which obviously test your skill and ability to read maps. I play with nightcore all the time to make the song feel more varied.

If you're hands get shaky take a break.
When you get into a new song try to match up with the speed and rhythm and keep it constant.

The last tip I have is if you're using a mouse, find a position your hand is comfortable in for beats, sliders and spinners.(Don't go too hard on spinners or risk failure upon following it up.)

P.S I've been playing for more than half a year, so I'm still a little bit of a newb(can only do 3-4 stars) but I have practiced ways I can improve and am still going. :P
Klockwerk
This is all great info, and I'm sure one or many of these has applied to just about every osu! player.

This may fall under the settings section, but something I recently noticed that was holding me back was my default placement of my pen. My combos would consistently break and I wondered how I was missing such easy notes on occasion. Sometimes I was holding my pen a bit off center or starting maps off while spinning/playing around with the pen. After watching a few replays, sure enough I was over/undershooting based on where I started with my pen at the beginning. Since then I have started getting into a habit of holding dead center at the beginning and making sure I am comfortable before moving around the map.
ChuTwo_old

Klockwerk wrote:

This is all great info, and I'm sure one or many of these has applied to just about every osu! player.

This may fall under the settings section, but something I recently noticed that was holding me back was my default placement of my pen. My combos would consistently break and I wondered how I was missing such easy notes on occasion. Sometimes I was holding my pen a bit off center or starting maps off while spinning/playing around with the pen. After watching a few replays, sure enough I was over/undershooting based on where I started with my pen at the beginning. Since then I have started getting into a habit of holding dead center at the beginning and making sure I am comfortable before moving around the map.
why is this game so complicated
Dispel
That was helpfull! I'm guilty of a lot of them....
jiyo

B1rd wrote:

iiCookiesii wrote:

in 3 years you've played less than I do in a week?
Meh, I quit for awhile due to boredom of the game but came back lol. But I'm getting alot better though x).
Juuhazan
Does using your laptop as a sort-of mousepad count as a bad habit (I guess that should be self-explanatory...)? 'Cause that's how I fail/mess up a beatmap 40% of the time: over time, I mess up my mouse positioning, and eventually fuck up. Gahh.

To-do: Go out and buy some goddanged items.
show more