forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
GhosTShadoW

^ THIS... THIS THIS AND THIS A HUNDRED TIMES.

i have that bad habit of changing my tablet area because i think making it larger in some maps and smaller in other ones will help me FC them when in reality it doesn't... bad thing i realized that after almost 8 months playing with tablet

Overall 10/10, there's a lot of bad things i do and i didn't even noticed, such as playing just because i want to improve... and it's true i don't have fun when i play for that reason.

Great thread

PD: Sorry for my bad grammar, english is not my native language :v
Zalaria
Wow what an amazing thread. Yes I can see my flaws now, with my streaming, aim, and other stuff. My fingers will sometimes lock up on streams and I end up failing the map. I mean, I do want to get better at osu, but for now I'm just casually playing (and trying to relearn how to play atm) I've always liked to try and entertain my friends, which was quite fun tbh. Though I never thought I was great at this game as far as skill was concerned, I guess I still have a long ways to go. I realized I have this bad habit of trying to fc maps and somehow miss a note at the end >.<
Kayla
i just play osu and get better. i get frustrated but my frustration motivates me. i play for hours trying to improve my movement and my rhythm and then hours when im warmed up improving my speed. i dont see why this has to be as complicated as a nuclear reactor to understand. i mean i know people frown on saying "practice and get better" but practice has a lot of very small components which make it easy to understand. practice rhythm, movement and speed. sometimes practicing on lower speeds to ease yourself into higher ones is a good idea. practice noticeable flaws, sometimes feedback from friends is required for this. thats basically all i do and i continue to improve. ezpz.

i however never think i will be a top 500 or so player.. but that is a self confidence unrelated to osu style problem i have to tackle in my personal life. =w=
Topic Starter
ScarletStory

Kurimu wrote:

i just play osu and get better. i get frustrated but my frustration motivates me. i play for hours trying to improve my movement and my rhythm and then hours when im warmed up improving my speed. i dont see why this has to be as complicated as a nuclear reactor to understand. i mean i know people frown on saying "practice and get better" but practice has a lot of very small components which make it easy to understand. practice rhythm, movement and speed. sometimes practicing on lower speeds to ease yourself into higher ones is a good idea. practice noticeable flaws, sometimes feedback from friends is required for this. thats basically all i do and i continue to improve. ezpz.

i however never think i will be a top 500 or so player.. but that is a self confidence unrelated to osu style problem i have to tackle in my personal life. =w=
I agree with you practice is probably the only way to truly get better (if you haven't noticed I basically snuck in ways to practice throughout this entire thread without just saying "practice" by itself) osu! isn't something you can get better at by studying without doing. That would be similar to studying how a pianos pedals work and where the notes are at, then never playing a piano, and then expecting to be a master at it merely because you know how it works. At the same time I feel like it should be a given that my thoughts are not going to be correct for everyone because everyone's different and there are always exceptions. If you can honestly say you play osu! for hours constantly frustrated and using that frustration to improve I can respect that, in fact, if that's true you have the patience of a saint. My only counterargument could be, OKAY so lets say you get really good at osu! and you are now the best player of all times... now what? What's the point in improving if, from what I've gathered from what you said, you're just kinda pissing yourself off (frustrating yourself) for hours. Is it really worth it to spend countless hours you'll never get back only to find out that once you get good it doesn't even matter because you didn't like it in the first place? By the way that's one of my more objective thoughts too.

If someone was practicing playing a guitar and you asked them if they liked to play the guitar and they said "it just frustrates me so I try to improve" wouldn't that kind of strike you as an "okay...what's the point of that?" moment? You didn't ever say you didn't enjoy osu! and I'm really not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm merely trying to back up my argument. You don't have to agree with it by any means in fact I encourage the challenging of ideas but at the same time I'm going to challenge the ideas that challenge my ideas and then me challenging others challenges is going to have someone else challenge my challenge its an endless cycle! It is true that I cannot ever have the same experiences as others or feel the exact same way as others or see things the exact same way as others, therefore, I'm kind of forced to generalize within this thread.... If it helps at least some people out great I would love that more than anything, and if it doesn't, that's okay too I'm sure they will find their own individualized ways to improve. My point is that 9 times out of 10 someone is really close and just needs just a tiny bit of information, possibly from this thread, to get over some kind of slump they're in or wall they've hit and that's what I'm hoping to accomplish. That's why I have to make it "rocket science" because if I don't and I merely generalized any further than I already have by just saying "practice" without explaining the problem/how to practice then my odds of helping anyone at all are just pretty much none. Hopefully this made some kind of sense I'm pretty scatter brained so I tend to jump between issues but this is probably as good as my response is gonna get.
Maxcimum_old
How about players who play osu! using laptop? Its hard to 'zxzxzx' faster because the laptop key isn't that sensitive than mechanical keyboard like Cherry MX or any good mechanical keyboard..
Bakanowy
I've played this game a long while and I feel like i've been through some rough practice many times to the point where I know if i can FC a song. But the thing is.. ill get 1x miss every single play. Not even on the same notes. You're gonna wonder why I play the same map over and over, honestly i dont know either. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/134008 The main issue I see is the snapping, keep in mind i've played this map literally 40 times in a row(full duration no omg i missed time to retry bullshit) to the point i know how it flows correctly. But i still have this timing error.... I don't know how to fix it. It depresses the hell out of me and makes me quit.. because I feel i really could destroy it easily.
Eraqus

Maxcimum wrote:

How about players who play osu! using laptop? Its hard to 'zxzxzx' faster because the laptop key isn't that sensitive than mechanical keyboard like Cherry MX or any good mechanical keyboard..
I have the same problem, you need to press a lot harder the keys making impossible to get an accurate stream at 200+ bpm. The only solution is to get a mechanical one, laptops are not for this game unless you are already pro in this game.
GoldenWolf

leyendax69 wrote:

I have the same problem, you need to press a lot harder the keys making impossible to get an accurate stream at 200+ bpm. The only solution is to get a mechanical one, laptops are not for this game unless you are already pro in this game.
Having tested a laptop keyboard I can tell it's not THAT awful, might even be easier in some aspect because the keys are flat (speed), altough it's probably worse for long streams, my accuracy doesn't change going from one to the other
Ethelon
I don't think people should generalize laptop keyboards. I'm assuming there's a difference between mine and all these other horrible ones people complain about, but if not then I don't really even see the big deal.
I prefer my laptop keyboard for speed, but from my limited experience with mechanical keyboards (friends, and ordered one recently), they feel better to play on and you don't have to hold back as much (I'm always afraid I'll break my laptop keys).
Eraqus

GoldenWolf wrote:

Having tested a laptop keyboard I can tell it's not THAT awful, might even be easier in some aspect because the keys are flat (speed), altough it's probably worse for long streams, my accuracy doesn't change going from one to the other
Indeed, is bad for long streams but not just that (at least in my case) I don't find a way where my arm and hand are confortables playing. Totally different to the few times I tried a mechanical kb, but maybe that's just me.
Karuta-_old_1

leyendax69 wrote:

Indeed, is bad for long streams but not just that (at least in my case) I don't find a way where my arm and hand are confortables playing. Totally different to the few times I tried a mechanical kb, but maybe that's just me.
It's not just you man.

Laptop keyboards have too little feedback which makes pressing it very very dull, I am only talking about those in general. While mechanical keyboard usually gives you that 'solid' feel and control, that's why all my FC with laptop keyboards are A's and mech kb are S's for songs that are harder to aim

But then again, my laptop keyboard has some kind of delay that is offsetting my presses after it reaches the 3rd key
Topic Starter
ScarletStory

Maxcimum wrote:

Well since this somehow became about keyboards I guess I'll give this one a shot too lol. Okay laptop keyboards which i had used for roughly 3-4 months until i got my mechanical keyboard are definitely more difficult to stream on. For one on most laptop keyboards they are chiclet style keys or w/e you call them so it's more difficult to get a grip on them. Also they tend to have a much higher actuation force requiring more effort to push down on keys and generally they do make playing more difficult. However i believe that anyone can get respectable playing experience using one. When i switched from my laptop keyboard to cherry mx reds to be honest i noticed no difference in my speed for the first 2 months i used it, in fact, i think i slowed down considerably because the keys are really that sensitive. Honestly i cannot go 5 words without some kind of typo and if you talked to me on osu you would probably wonder if i knew how to use a keyboard for anything other than using two buttons. Back to the matter at hand, in a general sense yes it is more difficult to use the keyboard in a laptop just because of the fact that it requires more force and there is a limit to how fast the keys will pop back up allow you to get another key press in. With that being said, however, in my experience, there was also almost no experience gained for a while after switching between keyboards which is why i say you need to build up skill to use it.

tl;dr version: Laptop keys require more so they are technically more difficult to use but in the end it all depends on your personal skill i believe that while they may be harder to use you can still do perfectly fine on one, however, i also believe that laptop keyboards slow the learning curve and have a much lower skill cap than cherry mx keyboards simply because cherry mx keyboards are specifically designed to be extremely fast for gaming and generally allow you to use less force while still registering keystroke while at the same time giving you good response so you know exactly when you are pressing a key.
Rose Ruby
Am I the only one who have problem with the positioning of his tablet.
Always the same.. I improve in everthing besides Aim.. and i even know the problem..
I tried to play with a skewed postioning for like two months, i ended up that my tablet was nearly vertical.
I even moved my hole room so i could play with a straight tablet postion but my arm always moves always away while playing and i start failing.

I tried like everthing wich was in my mind, i even thoght about buying me a new tablet (wich won't solve my problem so ofc i did not buy one)
I didn't improve for now like 3 months and i feel like it won't change.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve a problem like this..?

(sorry for bad english btw.)
cageslammer
Starting having problems with my mouse hand freezing, tensing up, shaking.
songs I've had no real problems with are now harder than usual, snapping to notes has proven to be very difficult as well. now i either miscalculate and fall just short of the circle or over-extend.
when i am FINALLY going well my mind go's into overdrive and i start watching unnecessary things trying to watch the TAB score board and my %Hit as well as trying to hit the notes. i end up failing of course

This is all very recent and it's very aggravating.
Rose Ruby

cageslammer wrote:

Starting having problems with my mouse hand freezing, tensing up, shaking.
songs I've had no real problems with are now harder than usual, snapping to notes has proven to be very difficult as well. now i either miscalculate and fall just short of the circle or over-extend.
when i am FINALLY going well my mind go's into overdrive and i start watching unnecessary things trying to watch the TAB score board and my %Hit as well as trying to hit the notes. i end up failing of course

This is all very recent and it's very aggravating.
Go and wash you'r hands with warm water and look that you'r room isn't could or use this kind of gloves.
Helped me alot when my hands were frezing. Hope i could help you in any way.
Kritzkingvoid
The main big problem for me while playing osu! is that i can't press 2 keys (Z and X) At the same time , its not that i can't press them at all is that i always panic whenever i see a stream or a pile of beats that i lose my control whenever i try to smash 2 button at the same time. the only solution that i can deal with this is just to use 1 button, and its actually very painful to stream with only 1 finger . I was hoping to get some tips to help me with my 1 button smashing syndrome

I use my Index finger
Soarezi

Kritzkingvoid wrote:

The main big problem for me while playing osu! is that i can't press 2 keys (Z and X) At the same time , its not that i can't press them at all is that i always panic whenever i see a stream or a pile of beats that i lose my control whenever i try to smash 2 button at the same time. the only solution that i can deal with this is just to use 1 button, and its actually very painful to stream with only 1 finger . I was hoping to get some tips to help me with my 1 button smashing syndrome

I use my Index finger
play slow streamy maps and practice.
cageslammer

goresick wrote:

Go and wash you'r hands with warm water and look that you'r room isn't could or use this kind of gloves.
Helped me alot when my hands were frezing. Hope i could help you in any way.
i would totally love a pair of gloves like that regardless of weather it's cold or not, however sadly i don't think it has something to do with the temperature.
however i will try it. although i still don't understand why my arm freezes up like a brick even at work, watching TV, it was fine a few days ago -.-
and i can probably rule the miscalculations up to overestimating my ability of judgement.

now ima go buy me a pair of them gloves
Lamia
It seems like a good article, but i can't understand it.....okay, i still go back to learn more English.
ikzune
shh i like my 4k only bad habit o3o, do play 5k on occasion for fun though c:
Muzika
F is for friends who do stuff together
U is for you and me
N is for anywhere and anytime at all
Down here in the deep blue sea!
:D
NeVMiku

Maxcimum wrote:

I can play AR9 @ 190-200 BPM using the MacBook keyboard. Maybe it's just practice.
Rose Ruby

NeVe12p4wNeD wrote:

Maxcimum wrote:

I can play AR9 @ 190-200 BPM using the MacBook keyboard. Maybe it's just practice.
Everything is practise but you will defently kill your laptop keyboard by playing to long and to streamy.
jovee_old
Other than all the reasons listed in this thread, there's also one more,
Blaming your equipment( mouse, keyboard,etc )

Ermagawd my mouse dpi succcckksss ,
ermagawd my keyboard hazzz delay, sometimes nottt even responnndingg

lmao. (This is based on real experience. I was playing with some friends)
Rose Ruby

jovee wrote:

Other than all the reasons listed in this thread, there's also one more,
Blaming your equipment( mouse, keyboard,etc )

Ermagawd my mouse dpi succcckksss ,
ermagawd my keyboard hazzz delay, sometimes nottt even responnndingg

lmao. (This is based on real experience. I was playing with some friends)
Ah yeah and then he finds out that his keyboard really had delay...
People know that for sure that it is there own fold they just have this
kind of personality. But serious i know persons were they equipment has some kind of fault.

I mean I even personly know that. Having a good score on a song and then just near the end,
tablet show no reaction and i fail or the game is laggin.
Insyni
I honestly don't understand the snapping thing for one reason... people say not to play with your hand tensed at all. If you try to snap with your hand is even slightly relaxed, then the mouse will make a small bounce in your hand after the movement and you miss the note.

Can someone explain how you are supposed to snap without holding the mouse tighter?
GoldenWolf

DustyFfy wrote:

I honestly don't understand the snapping thing for one reason... people say not to play with your hand tensed at all. If you try to snap with your hand is even slightly relaxed, then the mouse will make a small bounce in your hand after the movement and you miss the note.

Can someone explain how you are supposed to snap without holding the mouse tighter?
practice and learn to snap without tensing up
Insyni

GoldenWolf wrote:

practice and learn to snap without tensing up
Apparently everything is possible with practice...

Oh, how ignorant I am. :oops:
Just_A_M0nk
Read the whole topic and agree with every word. Players are getting better every time they hit the circles. The faster you have to hit - the more you need to spend time to do it. "Difficulty" is moving away from the "comfort zone" in many directions: faster speed, smaller circles, longer streams, shorter sliders, etc. When you train in these directions you are paving the bridges from one skill to another. These bridges sag to the point where you really feel confident in the game. Very often there is a feeling that you are stuck in place, and instead to quietly continue to play and have fun, you throw on unattainable for you difficulty trying to break it. If you dont have success - you get depressed, angry, and following attempts to become worse, but if you have passed this level then you will try more in this direction (not bad at all, but...), not noticing what you have not mastered in the other direction and just evade them. I made these conclusions after reading this thread and on my own experience. I have a funny problem - can play fast BPM DT maps (try them hard) but I can't normally FC much slower maps. Each FC takes a bunch of attempts and efforts, just because of a few errors in the same places-_-. Certainly worth something edit in my trainings:)
Thanks for an interesting topic guides on motivation, and I apologize for my bad English.
power007
3 years of osu!:

rage quit
Just_A_M0nk
oh, so painful maps
it took about 4-5 months to get used to and the last diff takes all my stamina for a few days or even a week X_x
I try them when I'm completely fresh, if Im not fresh all plays doesn't make sense
AngelZatch
Couldn't agree more with everything written! It's been 6+ years I'm here. I'm slowly getting back at Osu! because I flippin' love this game :3
kymotsujason
I've been streaming on high bpm maps for a while, but my endurance was always quite low (stamina is fine). It never occurred to me that slower bpm maps could help with stability =P
Thanks for taking the time to make this topic =D
Sayune
Good "OSU!" Thread 9/10

You can kill me now.
JeremyTechnika
It's very true.
Mixae_old
Nice post I agree with it
-Akira_old
I would want a Summary...
CodeS

-Akira wrote:

http://howtoimproveatosu.tk/
Topic Starter
ScarletStory

CodeS wrote:

-Akira wrote:

http://howtoimproveatosu.tk/
You sir just made my day, thank you for the laughs. LOL
MMzz
About time someone made a thread like this.
EVEN THOUGH IT WAS MADE 3 MONTHS AGO I JUST NOTICED IT GOMEN.
show more