forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
Pettanko
Damn some of these things hit really close to home.

If I could suggest you add one more reason, it would be something along the lines of "blaming your equipment(or lack thereof)"
TheVileOne
Read it all. Very informative.

I'll probably be permanently stuck at an average play level. I am fine with that. It's not the end of the world if I'm not a good player. It's a lot less effort in the long run.
Sorun

TheVileOne wrote:

Read it all. Very informative.

I'll probably be permanently stuck at an average play level. I am fine with that. It's not the end of the world if I'm not a good player. It's a lot less effort in the long run.
If you had a more consistent play history you would probably be a lot better.
UnderminE
hitsound part is lovely, most of the players lose it because of that statement

Now we need a taiko version of this
iWhorse
Oh hey, a thread that finally actually contains things useful things to improve on \ practice.

This needs to replace the other sticky.
Akali

buny wrote:

it always disturbs me that people capitalise the o on osu!
It disturbs me people care about that. Is it some grammar thing or what? It's the name of the game, in most languages you capitalise names so people just do that.
GoldenWolf

Akali wrote:

It disturbs me people care about that. Is it some grammar thing or what? It's the name of the game, in most languages you capitalise names so people just do that.
It's extremely important.
Don't question, it just is.
buny

Akali wrote:

buny wrote:

because the name is osu! and not Osu!
not capitalising a name doesn't stand out as much as something that randomLy has a Capitalisation.

and yes, it stands out as much as misusing your and you're in my opinion.
haxsu
This was the best thread I have ever read in terms of improving your skill. Nicely done~
nooblet
Actually there are two SS's on Scarlet Rose :P
OT - Playing for the wrong reasons is so true XD
Also really liked the point about memorizing hit sounds. Really helps with high AR for me.
Read most of it, was very straight to the point. I like it :)

Could possibly be put with the "How to improve at osu!" thread, without the second half of the title? XD
Kamikaze
Very good thread, that actually made me realize some mistakes I've been doing. Especially part with sliders and wanting to impress others
thelewa

Akali wrote:

buny wrote:

hey aKALI what's up
Myke B
That's not really the same thing. Osu! is capitalizing the first letter (which is typical when talking about a name) and it's only 1 letter being capitalized - not a bunch in the middle of the word. I get how this could bug someone if it's really not suppose to be capitalized, but is it that big of a deal?
GoldenWolf

Myke B wrote:

That's not really the same thing. Osu! is capitalizing the first letter (which is typical when talking about a name) and it's only 1 letter being capitalized - not a bunch in the middle of the word. I get how this could bug someone if it's really not suppose to be capitalized, but is it that big of a deal?

GoldenWolf wrote:

It's extremely important.
Don't question, it just is.
[ Stellar ]
truth hurts 9/10.
piruchan
Nice thread.
Worth bookmarking.
BeatofIke
Best "How to improve at osu" thread 2014.
AmaiHachimitsu
I felt that all those praising posts were sarcastic, seriously.... And it's sticked now gg
Metro
Great post.
Ekaru

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I felt that all those praising posts were sarcastic, seriously.... And it's sticked now gg
Mine wasn't. Everything in the OP is seriously true.
ethox
I like to think I'm correct when I describe this thread having the best OP on this subforum. The only harp I can think of is: don't make your text so negative, make use of your obvious skill in language. The content was very informative with little emphasis on opinions and more on observations. I imagine you've been sponging up pieces of advice all around during your adventures in the wonderful world of osu!

One thing I would like more highlight on (or mentioned even) is pauses in gaming in general. How to treat them, lose "rust" and get over the barrier that pauses generate. People tend to forget how training muscular and nervous systems work. Studying how a human body learns mechanically is very, maybe almost as important as psychological aspects of a self-improvement game such as this. Morale and motivation plays a huge role in a long and tedious task and often people indulge themselves in self-criticism and frustration. That is the hard part of the game, which you as a gamer and a person have to find out by yourself.
Gigo
Now that we have this AND jesse's thread (both stickied), can all other "Give me advice on how to get better" type of threads be locked immediately in the future?
AmaiHachimitsu
I think there're dozens of things that could be added, tips containing some techniques like mouse grip, hand position. You could even find some various philosophies concerning the topic of how to play better and better.
Gigo
You have a point Amai-san. And seeing as how you are one of the best mouse users in osu, do you mind writing a paragraph about the advantages and disadvantages of different mouse grips? If you can't/don't wanna do it, I would ask some other pro mouse player to write one. Then the author of this thread can add it to the opening post (or jesse can add it to his thread, doesn't matter).
AmaiHachimitsu
Kriers would be perfect for this, he has more knowledge than I do. The thing is whether he would want to write it.
Defacer
­
Ven
well shit

is it bad that this is all true for me
- Marco -
Instead of

Title

[b]Title[/b]
[spoilerbox]text[/spoilerbox]

use

>insert title here<
>insert text here<

[box=>insert title here<]>insert text here<[/box]
Illkryn
My beard approves of this thread
jesse1412

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I think there're dozens of things that could be added, tips containing some techniques like mouse grip, hand position. You could even find some various philosophies concerning the topic of how to play better and better.
I'll post any good stuff people send me in my thread. (I'd also be happy to merge my thread with thuis one or vice-versa.)
nyrox

ScarletStory wrote:

Much thanks to sarasseo for supplying me with a format that doesn't kill your eyes and marcostudios for explaining how to make boxes that don't look weird.Of course a gigantic thanks to the people who are showing support/supplying constructive criticism it is extremely helpful and very much appreciated.
ok, not even the first person to say box=, didn't even say it twice.
monomosc
I've been playing osu! for a little more than a year now, I've never had fun except when I did something better than my friends or myself. Friend ranking is my bible.

Same goes with starcraft2, I don't like the game but tried really hard until I was better than all the people I know personally.

I don't think that is a "wrong reason" to play the game.
Topic Starter
ScarletStory

monomosc wrote:

I've been playing osu! for a little more than a year now, I've never had fun except when I did something better than my friends or myself. Friend ranking is my bible.

Same goes with starcraft2, I don't like the game but tried really hard until I was better than all the people I know personally.

I don't think that is a "wrong reason" to play the game.
If you have fun by outranking your friends and enveloping yourself in a competitive environment that's not a wrong reason to play, because you're having fun. What i mean is essentially playing for absolutely no reason other than to get better while having no fun. Of course one could argue that getting better at osu! is what makes it fun in the first place and that's completely fine I have no arguments what-so-ever in someone doing that. The point is you found something that made osu! fun and you worked for it. What I mean about playing for the wrong reasons is more along the lines of not enjoying playing at all to the point where you are doing it without even wanting to. I feel like wanting to improve that bad is a wrong reason to play. Of course, that is subjective, but I think that if you don't love doing something then you just... shouldn't do it, if that makes sense.
OzzyOzrock
This is a pretty great thread, informative and humorous. I like that.

Ekaru wrote:

bewaredrev wrote:

I actually did get an ss on Scarlet Rose on the first day but it was in offline mode in a multiplayer match so the replay didn't save :\
hey me too i think it's a bug riot pls fix
Wishy
I agree that having this and jesse's thread every other post asking dumb stuff about getting better should be instant locked.

This thread should be translated to every possible language, especially morse code it's very important so the enemy spies won't get it.
Yano

Wishy wrote:

I agree that having this and jesse's thread every other post asking dumb stuff about getting better should be instant locked.

This thread should be translated to every possible language, especially morse code it's very important so the enemy spies won't get it.
It would be nice if a Person would translate the Thread and post it in the language specific forum.

And ye ppl don't read sticky threads ._.
Wishy
Hey [any mod], have you thought about cleaning up the sticky threads? There are a lot and many are either useless or could be moved to another sub-forum.

All the torrents/map list/etc threads should be on... well the beatmaps section, there is one beginners training which is SIX years old why is it even here, the Wacom guide is "ok" but tbh it shouldn't be there, only reason it's ok is because people don't really read other sub-forums because everything of general interest has always been thrown her altogether. :p
impulse-
To remove my hitsounds completly helped me quite a bit, even though i am not anywhere near #1, i still see massive improvements, not from day to day, but when i take a replay from 2 months ago i can see a huge diffrence, even though it may not show every day, you are improving.

Also after i removed my hitsounds, i started enjoying the game more.

So therefore i will thank you a lot of taking your time into writing this thread
Skriggniichan
All of it is so true, much applause. Too bad I'll forever have terrible accuracy and aim. My senpai will never notice me at this rate ; ;
Legxis

ScarletStory wrote:

(the hit error indicator shows up as a little rectangle that appears at the bottom of the screen). Blue is good, green is meh, orange is wtf are you doing?

ScarletStory wrote:

Sure you may be able to get the first one maybe even two but as more squares appear those few milliseconds you lost begin adding up and you begin to lag behind and therefore you either A. begin moving into the 100's and eventually 50's. or B. You start going in circles (literally you begin to make circles with your cursor as you get more confused) I cannot stress the importance of snapping to notes. It is probably the most basic necessity in order to complete jumps.

ScarletStory wrote:

In all seriousness though you move through slider 1 slowly then you have to quickly jump all the way to slider 2 and slow down again in order to match the speed of the slider which is difficult, however if you practice this (AS WELL AS PRACTICING FOLLOWING ALL SLIDERS CORRECTLY 100% THROUGH) it will teach you how to have better control over your pen and it will increase your speed in general because you will be more aware of where your cursors going and what movements you need to make in order to get it there without even needing to think about it.

ScarletStory wrote:

Both mice and tablets have their advantages and disadvantages but don't get tricked into believing that either one will require less effort on your part. Let me stress that I'm not in any way trying to talk down tablets mice or mechanical keyboards. What I'm trying to do save you the frustration of getting one thinking you'll be 20 times better only to realize you're still going to need to spend time in order to improve.
So much this. Yes.

And to all people who'd like to improve and seem to hit a wall: It's most likely because you don't have enough maps.
The definition of difficulties varies a lot and there are tons of different mapping styles out there.
So for instance, while you may S some Hards, there will be other Hards you can't even pass. If you play more songs, you'll naturally get better. Don't try to force it. Just come back to that difficult song later and you'll see that it's much easier.
show more