forum

HELP : How do people get good at Osu!?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
RichJoker
Hi guys, I'm an average Osu! player, able to clear rank 1-4 star maps. I understand that most people will answer : "Get a tablet" or "Play for fun", "Familiarize yourself with the song" etc.

I can't understand that there are people playing hard maps, take beatMario - Night of Knights beatmap for example, at the hardest difficulty, with a perfect score. On top of that, he's using Hidden and Hard Rock mod! That's just amazing. It was nightmare playing in that map, even while using No Fail mod.

Don't get me wrong, before I play Osu!, I play EBA and Ouendan. However, I'm not sure that even if I play hard maps in DS/Tablet, I'll be able to be as good as them. I play with the mouse, and use Z for clicking. Also, how do I get better at Taiko? No matter how much I try, I can't remember all the buttons going to be pressed next, lol.

Thanks in advance! :) Sorry if the post above feels quite... sarcastic... :?
Ephemeral
it's generally a practice/muscle memory thing. you keep doing it often enough, and you just get better at it.

same applies for taiko as well, i guess.
DeletedUser_3905941
There's only one way to progress, and that's pretty much playing the game.
Tekklorn
What those guys said except "Getting a tablet" isn't essential to getting good, you don't have to have one to be able to play osu at a high level
jesse1412
None of us who read this forum will ever be as good as the guy you are talking about my friend.
;_;7
Myke B
By playing a lot. It's a rhythm game, so what possible tricks could there really be? There's a basic concept of doing things and they become easier - this applies to many things other than Osu! I know it's a lot easier to make these posts than actually playing 20k-150k times, but that's what it takes.. You have a play count of 258.. I have more taiko plays then you do on classic lol.

jesus1412 wrote:

None of us who read this forum will ever be as good as the guy you are talking about my friend.

Play harder stuff to get better, you'll learn it over time.
wooah bro. speak for yourself ;)
dennischan
practice.
get enough play count and you will be good.
GoldenWolf

Myke B wrote:

If he says none of us will be ever as good as lewa, then none of us will be ever as good as lewa, you can not disagree with this.
Myke B

GoldenWolf wrote:

Myke B wrote:

If he says none of us will be ever as good as lewa, then none of us will be ever as good as lewa, you can not disagree with this.
dang.. I got rekt :/
Topic Starter
RichJoker
o_O
Uh, no, not good as that. I think hearing the song over and over helps us, even a little though. Play Count counts. But, there's one handicap when playing Osu! in PC by using mouse.
If you've ever played EBA or Ouendan, your hand can move really fast, if you have great reflexes. When playing Osu! by mouse though, it feels like my hand can't move the mouse really fast. XD
Myke B
It's possible to get top 10 using mouse.
Blueprint
Well if you can't do hard's and you can do any 1-4 star normal. Then use HR when that's to easy try hard again. To add to that everybody maps differently there are hard's I can't do but I can do the insane version of the same song lol.

Anyhow I have been in the same position I will repeat what was said to me get your play count up then try something harder.
While transferring from normal to hard improvements are easy to notice from your own perspective.

I haven't been here for long so I have fresh memory going from normal to hard will just happen without effort going from hard to insane I had to try but,
"Everybody improves at there own pace"

Edit: to above answer what's your DPI? And don't forget to disable mouse Acceleration.
Soulg
thelewa sux doe

Seriously though practice a lot and you will get good. And I mean a lot.

Like, treat this like a god damn sport.
darkmiz

RichJoker wrote:

o_O
If you've ever played EBA or Ouendan, your hand can move really fast, if you have great reflexes. When playing Osu! by mouse though, it feels like my hand can't move the mouse really fast. XD
It seems you really should try playing with a tablet
scottyyy
You've played the game for less than 10 hours. Just like every other game in existence, you need to put in 100s of hours before you get good. From my experience in getting good at video games, you don't start getting good until about 600-1000 hours. Of course this depends on your definition of "good"
Reborn
If i remember correctly u get better from playing it. Or was it the other way around? ... hmm dont know 100%
Ekaru
I would recommend a tablet in your case not because it's teh best option evar but because you're used to using a stylus and are having trouble adjusting to a mouse.
Saint_old
http://www.pyramidplanet.com/pyramid-po ... ducts_id=2

WITH A CRYSTAL PYRAMID ON YOUR DESK WHILE PLAYING OSU! YOU TOO CAN BE THE NEXT ****IEZI USING THE ABSTRACT LAW OF PYRAMID POWER

WANT TO BECOME FAMOUS?

WANT TO BECOME SKILLED?

GET ONE NOW
jesse1412

Saint wrote:

http://www.pyramidplanet.com/pyramid-power/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=2

WITH A CRYSTAL PYRAMID ON YOUR DESK WHILE PLAYING OSU! YOU TOO CAN BE THE NEXT ****IEZI USING THE ABSTRACT LAW OF PYRAMID POWER

WANT TO BECOME FAMOUS?

WANT TO BECOME SKILLED?

GET ONE NOW
Who is this man, who told him the secret? Quickly silence him.
Myke B
da faq
iderekmc
loool
Ekaru

jesus1412 wrote:

Saint wrote:

http://www.pyramidplanet.com/pyramid-power/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=2

WANT TO BECOME FAMOUS?

WANT TO BECOME SKILLED?

GET ONE NOW
Who is this man, who told him the secret? Quickly silence him.
BRB buying one thanks
Lem
Use more than one button (z) to tap. It might seem a bit hard at first but once you get better it will help you immensely.
Rewben2
idk I think a lot of the good players just woke up 1 day and discovered they could play well
Blueprint
Move to korea japan or china and study there culture.

Become 1 of the above
winber1
If you compare yourself to people who have never played osu! before, you are god like.
[ Stellar ]
>play osu
>play tons of maps
>build muscle memory
>improve skills

>win

Though, the shortcut is to play scarlet rose.
If you keep practicing on that, you can skip all of the above steps 8-)
Guuhan
Practice. Done. Can't say anymore x) Since i'm a rookie aswell
Myke B

Guuhan wrote:

Nothing more to say XD
Guuhan

Myke B wrote:

Guuhan wrote:

Nothing more to say XD
It's late, my brain doesn't work correclty :<
AmaiHachimitsu
1. osu! is lowercase
2. People get good at osu! by playing osu!
3. FKIN browse the forum before you ask stupid question
Ted_the_red

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

3. FKIN browse the forum before you ask stupid question
seriously there are like 2 stickeys on the front page about improvement and beginners training
Topic Starter
RichJoker

winber1 wrote:

If you compare yourself to people who have never played osu! before, you are god like.
lol, yeah, play it in a community where no one plays osu!.
Thanks for the suggestion, going to polish up my skills more.
-Soba-
I heard adding finnish, polish, and korean foods to your diet helps improve your osu play
show more