forum

Osu! bad for eyes?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kaeru

RaneFire wrote:

if osu destroys your eyes... you should try taiko to finish the job.
I second this.
Myke B
surprisingly, taiko doesn't do anything for me.
Kaeru
Taiko forces you to pay attention to a lot of stuff at once (at least if you're playing fullscreen on a wide monitor) on fast songs with high AR. You can't just look at the left side of the screen, or you won't know what's coming, but you need to be focused on it in order to hit notes accurately (unless you know the song well). I'm guessing once you get better it's less of a problem (I'm a terrible taiko player, but one of the reasons I don't play it is because it bothers my eyes and I find it really disorienting).

It may be different for others -- I'm just sharing my experience. It is a great way to train your peripheral vision, though.
Myke B
It's probably just because I'm not very good at taiko yet :P
daredakke
Osu! has never affected my eyes aversely thankfully.

It's just the compulsive blinking I do whilst playing that makes me mess up.
Scinder
Speaking personally, osu has been pretty hard on my eyes (but as many people pointed out, may just be from looking at monitors for extended periods of time). Age also has an impact on me i'm sure. One issue I have with osu in general is after playing for ~1 hour, my eyes get blurry, if I keep playing it gets to the point of not being able to read words on web pages without zooming in. So for me, the possibility of osu being bad for my eyes is pretty high. Just take breaks and you should be fine.
RaneFire

Kaeru wrote:

... one of the reasons I don't play it is because it bothers my eyes and I find it really disorienting).

It may be different for others -- I'm just sharing my experience. It is a great way to train your peripheral vision, though.

Myke B wrote:

It's probably just because I'm not very good at taiko yet :P
Depends on the person, but it also depends on your monitor.

I play on an 8 year old 17" with CCFL backlight. Everything that moves is extremely blurry, but I kinda prefer it instead of a LED backlight because those still blurr. The difference is LED backlight will blurr multiple clearer and more detailed images, which I find much more disorienting to focus on than a smooth blurr. This is all solved by cashing out on a freaking awesome monitor though... which I don't really feel like doing. In my country it costs nearly 3 times more than the exchange rate for a high-end 120hz monitor for that much-wanted lightboost feature.

You can get used to it. I have been getting used to it to the point I barely even notice the blurr anymore. The human brain is amazing, but I'd rather I didn't have to go through the ordeal of my eyes involuntarily twitching the whole time for 2 weeks solid :/ I felt like punching myself.
Eoteon
Try eyedrops.
astelios
Yes it does.
Ask to the banned god #1

I need to do breaks when i play cause my eyes start to hurt.
Easy explanation: when u play, u dont blink. And we need to blink.
Mamoru Senpai

astelios wrote:

Yes it does.
Ask to the banned god #1

I blink while playing and I think a lot of other people do.
Yano
Temporarily

After I played Mania and look at an other thing, then I feel like I'm on drugs

In osu!Standart sometimes I get red eyes and then I look like I'm on drugs

So but I have everytime very dark circles around the eyes so I look everytime like I'm on Drugs

i cri
kouzuki_karen
any game will be bad for your eyes if you continuously stare at the screen for prolonged periods of time (ask the ex-#1 player in the world who left us last year).

just blink when you have a break in the beatmap / when the pattern is simple and predictable or something
XK2238

dinopwn wrote:

Does osu! hurt your eyes? My skin has a lot of elements and special effects.
pretty much this is the problem imo. Try using minimalistic/simple skins, they help a lot. One of the examples would be:

Noobsicle wrote:

try this skin t/168372

its good for you
as for Taiko, skinning is also involved. Using both plain hitcircle and overlay will 'eliminate' the blur existing in the default skin (and maybe some other skins), and making the taiko-bar-right-glow.png (which shows up in Kiai time) into the same as the regular one greatly helps reducing eyestrain.
piruchan

astelios wrote:

Yes it does.
Ask to the banned god #1

I blink when I play.
smoogipoo

piruchan wrote:

astelios wrote:

Yes it does.
Ask to the banned god #1

I blink when I play.
*Blink* *Miss* DAMMIT!
Maybe this is why I'm not good at osu!...
Lach
computer use in general is bad for your eyes, not just osu!
WindyExplorer
Osu! bad ? no person not wanting to take a break between games and stuff to blink lol and wants to risk eye health then yea, play and enjoy but remember you need your hands and eyes for alot more then just clicking circles on osu! XD

encryptik

WindyExplorer wrote:

Osu! bad ? no person not wanting to take a break between games and stuff to blink lol and wants to risk eye health then yea, play and enjoy but remember you need your hands and eyes for alot more then just clicking circles on osu! XD

"Although eye strain is uncomfortable, there are no long-term consequences of eye strain. There is no evidence that eye strain causes any adverse changes in the eyes. There is also no evidence that, in adults, continuing to do visual tasks while experiencing eye strain will result in any structural damage to the eyes."

Well that's a relief, thanks for the link.
I did actually notice my long distance vision return to normal after a ~2 month break from pretty much everything computer related.
(I get very horrible long distance sight problems after my computer binges, e.g. playing 14 hours a day for weeks at a time during my time off.)

I'm yet to find a solution for the eye strain I suffer from on a daily basis that usually consists of very dry, red and sore eyes by the end of the day. Did anyone else find f.lux to be helpful?
laref

encryptik wrote:

WindyExplorer wrote:

"Although eye strain is uncomfortable, there are no long-term consequences of eye strain. There is no evidence that eye strain causes any adverse changes in the eyes. There is also no evidence that, in adults, continuing to do visual tasks while experiencing eye strain will result in any structural damage to the eyes."

Well that's a relief, thanks for the link.
I did actually notice my long distance vision return to normal after a ~2 month break from pretty much everything computer related.
(I get very horrible long distance sight problems after my computer binges, e.g. playing 14 hours a day for weeks at a time during my time off.)

I'm yet to find a solution for the eye strain I suffer from on a daily basis that usually consists of very dry, red and sore eyes by the end of the day. Did anyone else find f.lux to be helpful?
I've just been using it for about a week, but it feels a lot easier on the eyes. It's worth giving a try.
[ Pingu ]
Is it weird that when I play osu! on standard and taiko I hardly ever blink? o.o'

Plus, taiko usually effect me. When I play, it doesn't make my vision even harder, or even if I do blink once, still doesn't do much effect to me. I think I got OP Eyes. ^^
WindyExplorer
i can tell u thou before i started to work i was at the computer screen about 20 hours a day hue hue no life heh xD ? and it was causeing me headaches eye strains and even got to the point that one of my eyes closed on me from just staring at a fixed thing nonstop, also wat comes into to play is how u sit at the computer and how far the screen is from your face, if u sit back and a few feet away then it wont be as bad since ur not basically doing eye contest with the monitor xD trust me it will win over u ;/

but remember when u play a game that requires ur absolute focus ur habit of blinking leaves u in secs cause ur like OMG IF I BLINK ILL DIE well true but 1 death over eye problems is worth it.

i still remember wat my use to say xD sit ur ass away from that tv or u will go blind, well true enough it caused my eye sight to get worse at 4th grade ahah
Zeraph
this whole thread could've literally been finished in a single post saying "quit playing osu!, or quit using the computer." how fucking dense do you have to be to continue doing something as it's damaging you or affecting you in a negative way.
Topic Starter
dinopwn
But i don't feel my eyes hurting on other games, my brain hurts tho on them
Myke B

Zeraph wrote:

this whole thread could've literally been finished in a single post saying "quit playing osu!, or quit using the computer." how fucking dense do you have to be to continue doing something as it's damaging you or affecting you in a negative way.
welcome to this whole section.
Mythras
Okay i've been thru this and then some w/this game. First of all CRT monitors never even remotely effected my eyes no matter what. LCDs rape my eyes without tweaking them to hell and back.

Tweaks to make osu easier on your eyes:
-Default monitor settings are effing horrible, look up your monitor and calibrate that bastard
-Brightness to nearly zero or whatevers comfortable
-Don't lower contrast too much or it'll look horrible and not really help
-Get a higher hz monitor (I got a 144hz recently and not only is it amazing it seems to be less eye-straining)
-Lower gamma if you have that setting on your monitor
-As suggested earlier get a skin that isn't so bright/flasy
-Increase resolution (helped me going from tiny window to 13xx by whatever)
-Download f.lux and install it, set it to the lowest setting, this should absolutely fix the issue
-Buy Gunnars, same thing as f.lux (people i know claim they work well)
-TEST it, change shit and play for an hour, no eyestrain=win
astelios

WindyExplorer wrote:

Of course is a matter of time ><
If u play 10hrs per day of course ur eyes r gonna bleed lol (and u do when u start playin osu >3<)
But i think osu is worst for the eyes than any other game
PS: sry eng
f i z i k
didn't read through all the posts but if you hang out at the pc a lot make sure to use flux
http://justgetflux.com/
helps immensely especially at night times
CookChefSteak
I used to get dry eyes/tons-of-blinking, but I realized it was only because I blinked too much once and then thought it had something to do with osu! and kept thinking about it when I played, so that in turn caused excessive blinking. Once I realized that it pretty much stopped.

Use flux, keep your room lit, sit far from the screen, make sure you're staring directly at it, and stuff like that. osu! is not bad for your eyes, but the screen is.
tbh I've noticed my peripheral vision got a lot better actually, probably because I play on a 1920x1080 resolution. Pretty neat really.
Myke B
5 pages for a simple "no - it's not osu! it's staring at a screen in general" lol.
Mythras

Myke B wrote:

5 pages for a simple "no - it's not osu! it's staring at a screen in general" lol.
Its worse in this game. Almost as bad as sc2. God forbid people actually use a forum to communicate.
Karuta-_old_1
Every time I play osu before I go to bed, I always overslept the next day

By the way, Thanks for this flux thingy, it helps although I can't see anything below flourescent
NotCookie_old

VioletMaid wrote:

Myke B wrote:

Its worse in this game. Almost as bad as sc2. God forbid people actually use a forum to communicate.
Circlejerking only, please stop interrupting
encryptik
Flux genuinely helped a lot, I'd really recommend it for anyone experiencing eye strain.
Myke B
Circlejerking only, please stop interrupting
my b. Cirlcejerk away yo.
Mvsk
Bump -_- another 8 month old post haha.

Aside from not blinking your eyes are also darting around the screen and taking in repetitive bright flashes while doing this.
It will give you migraines faster and cause some vision problems faster than 99% of other games will.
GoldenWolf
I never ever got migraines or headaches from osu!, might have something to do with me using a skin that doesn't feature anything fancy and having all the fancy options disabled aswell, since they're just in the way anyway.
thelewa
my eyes are in top notch condition after 4 years of playing the game, so I'm inclined to think that if your monitor and lighting is set up correctly there is absolutely no risk

sometimes the muscles moving my eyes would start to hurt, but because they're muscles it's quite normal. they start to hurt when they're getting stronger or more used to straining
I Give Up
No, osu is not bad for your eyes. However, screen glare, poor lighting, bad brightness/contrast/gamma settings will cause eye strain.

I've used computers since before flat screens were mainstream, spent more time in front of a CRT screen playing diablo and starcraft in early 2000 than any other hobby. I have no eye problems whatsoever, never tried any eye drop or fancy tricks. Just get good settings and play in a well lit room.
Karuta-_old_1
osu! makes me use my eyes more, I normally wear glasses but when I play osu! I don't

osu! doesn't give me bad eyes, it just makes me extremely tired like how I can sleep 11 hours the next day
YukinoDesuDesu
who cares you only have eyes so you can play osu! anyways
show more