forum

Just how bad are rubber domes compared to mechanicals?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
kevpwns

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

kevpwns wrote:

How long do you reckon before the keys on a mech are unusable (due to constant z and x keypress)
I've had mine for well over a year now, its still fine!
Hmm okay thanks! :D

Any suggestions to a mechanical keyboard? Which one do you use Uzzl?
GoldenWolf

Myke B wrote:

kevpwns wrote:

How long do you reckon before the keys on a mech are unusable (due to constant z and x keypress)
Forever. Mechanical keys are indestructible.
much lies

I have 6 keys broken on mine, that means these key would actuate twice or thrice in a row, making them impossible to use for osu!

kevpwns wrote:

Any suggestions to a mechanical keyboard?
Anything that is not a blackwidow is fine
NotCookie_old
Pretty much any mech that isn't a blackwidow will be good, some better than others. Blackwidows are basically the exception when it comes to keys not breaking.
Topic Starter
kevpwns
Is blackwidow just bad or something? Lol
Edit: I see nvm

Also goldenwolf how long did it take till your keyboard started doing that?
Myke B
lol, well I've had mine for around 2 years and it's okay.

You don't like blackwidow? I thought rrtyui used blackwidow and likes/liked it. I had one for a bit, and they were alright, I guess.
NotCookie_old

kevpwns wrote:

Blackwidows use a blue switch, but they make them differently than every other keyboard ever, so they don't 'feel' like 'real' blue switches. The boards are also famous for having terrible build quality, and they aren't even particularly cheap, relative to other, better boards.

My recommendation goes towards corsair k70 or ducky shine 3, if you like backlighting. If you don't care for backlighting, CMStorm and Steel series do some nice stuff.
Topic Starter
kevpwns
Do you guys think steel series makes good mechanical keyboards?
Almost

kevpwns wrote:

Do you guys think steel series makes good mechanical keyboards?
Yes.
Topic Starter
kevpwns
i really like backlight but i also really like boards by steelseries lol

idk which to pick
GoldenWolf

kevpwns wrote:

The first key broke a month after getting it, the longest lifetime of a set of keys was 4 months

Don't ever buy one.
Topic Starter
kevpwns

GoldenWolf wrote:

kevpwns wrote:

The first key broke a month after getting it, the longest lifetime of a set of keys was 4 months

Don't ever buy one.
ohh you bought a blackwidow? i see lol that must suck did you get a replacement
Jarvile
Heard that mech keyboard buttons has a life expectancy of ~50 million clicks, atleast the red ones.

Source: My keyboard box says so ._.
Myke B

GoldenWolf wrote:

kevpwns wrote:

Don't ever buy one.
that's weird O.O I know at least myself, and some others who still have all working keys years later. that sucks D:
Topic Starter
kevpwns
yea on dem boxes it always says lasts forever, but idk if thats the case in reality
Almost

kevpwns wrote:

i really like backlight but i also really like boards by steelseries lol

idk which to pick
Just pick whatever you want. Just note that steelseries only provides black switch keyboards Not 100% sure about this, correct me if I'm wrong so you need to look at other keyboards if you want another type of switch.
GoldenWolf

kevpwns wrote:

No, I have to bear with it until I can afford another one
Probably going to break half the keyboard before getting a new one though
DeletedUser_3905941
There's nothing bad about rubber dome keyboards. When compared, they're still ok, not bad.
My old keyboard was a microsoft sidewinder x4, I've had it for nearly 3 years and still up to this day performs as good as it was when I first got it. I switched to CM Storm Quickfire tk reds a couple of days ago and my choice on any type of keyboard would obviously be mechanical, but to say all membranes/rubber domes are shit keyboards is just a lie and plain dumb thing to say.
Topic Starter
kevpwns

GoldenWolf wrote:

kevpwns wrote:

No, I have to bear with it until I can afford another one
Probably going to break half the keyboard before getting a new one though
that's gotta suck.. what keys do u play osu on atm then lol

Crimson Wolf wrote:

There's nothing bad about rubber dome keyboards. When compared, they're still ok, not bad.

My old keyboard was a microsoft sidewinder x4, I've had it for nearly 3 years and still up to this day performs as good as it was when I first got it. I switched to CM Storm Quickfire tk reds a couple of days ago and my choice on any type of keyboard would obviously be mechanical, but to say all membranes/rubber domes are shit keyboards is just a lie and plain dumb thing to say.
well my logitech keyboard is starting to malfunction.. but its been awhile. It feels a bit unresponsive though. I'm not trying to attack dome keyboards or anything but i just wanted to know how significant of an improvement mechs have over domes
Xyrax Alaria
Please really try to research mechanical keyboards and keys before you buy one. You really don't want to end up with one you don't like.

For example: I like Blue Switches the best, own a blackwidow, and everything is fine for me I love this thing more than any other keyboard I've ever used. All the other switches did not sound appealing to me, but everything here is a matter of opinion.

Just really think about what one YOU would prefer, rather than what other people would want :)

Pros over rubber domes: Last longer, more responsive, nicer feel
Myke B
Go to a hardware store like fry's or some shit, and test all the of the keyboard types and switch types.
DeletedUser_3905941
Sorry if I thought you was attacking them, I guess it shows how stupid I am :S
Anyway, the difference between rubber dome and mechanical is definitely noticeable. I would choose mechanical keyboards anyway, but I still believe rubber domes aren't all that bad.
GoldenWolf

kevpwns wrote:

Jarvile
My mech keyboard feels far more consistent than my rubber dome, no more "I swear to God I hit the button" scenarios anymore.
Also having a brick on your desk is a plus.
Topic Starter
kevpwns
[/quote]

GoldenWolf wrote:

kevpwns wrote:

how do you even type on that thing

Jarvile wrote:

My mech keyboard feels far more consistent than my rubber dome, no more "I swear to God I hit the button" scenarios anymore.
Also having a brick on your desk is a plus.
im probably gonna get red switches just cos they are easy to press, and i agree with you when i press a lot of times i miss easy notes because my board isnt registering hits
Heinzen
Good domes are just as good as good mechas. But don't expect a 5$ dome to be as good as a 120$ mecha lel

Also, most stepmania players prefer domes over mechanicals, a few exceptions among pros like Staiain go mech
iderekmc

Heinzen wrote:

Good domes are just as good as good mechas. But don't expect a 5$ dome to be as good as a 120$ mecha lel

Also, most stepmania players prefer domes over mechanicals, a few exceptions among pros like Staiain go mech
no, the worst mech is 10 times better than the best dome imo
Heinzen

iderekmc wrote:

Heinzen wrote:

no, the worst mech is 10 times better than the best dome imo
Most rhythm-games players prefer domes over Mechas. I'm not sure why, I myself prefer mechanicals. But good domes are good keybords.
Ekaru
Worst mech's a noisy, frail POS. Not really a comparison to a good dome. Let's not be silly here.
Myke B
To give a conclusive answer to OP: It's really not, and some people even consider it better. They each have their perks, and really only you can tell which one is better.
jesse1412
If mechs were like the common cold then rubber domes would be cancer.

Rubber domes are shit, mechs are a better investment than tablets. I say this objectively. I am king.
Blueprint
How do membranes compare to rubber dome and mechs
PlasticSmoothie
Membrane keyboards are the same as rubber dome keyboard. Same thing, different name.

The main difference between dome and mech is that, unlike domes, mech keyboards don't bottom out the key no matter what you do. In mechs, the key needs to be pushed all the way down in order to 'bottom out', but the key is registered when pressed down half way.
Different people report different things when it comes to gameplay. The switch to one didn't help me at all, it was just a better overall experience especially when streaming.
Others say that a mech helped their accuracy etc.

(Plus, a mech is just a better investment. They don't break as easily if you get a well-built one)
TakuMii
There's a reason why mechanical keyboards are more expensive. They (generally) last longer, have a more solid and consistent feel (since they're not made of flimsy rubber and also don't require you to bottom out every keypress), and come in a variety of flavors to suit a variety of different people. And although it is possible to get good on a rubberdome, it's more strenuous on your fingers and on your keyboard.
(And yeah, membrane keyboards are pretty much the same as rubber dome keyboards)
Blueprint
I know how they function I was only curiouse on membrane because I will end up with 1 soon I was hoping you would say they are at least better than rubber domes, I do everything better on my laptop than with rubber.
iderekmc

jesus1412 wrote:

If mechs were like the common cold then rubber domes would be cancer.

Rubber domes are shit, mechs are a better investment than tablets. I say this objectively. I am king.
Topic Starter
kevpwns
Sooo how are green switches? Anything special about them?
idkhowtoclick
Umm....I would rather buy a gaming mouse to replace a regular mouse than buy a mech keyboard to replace a rubberdome keyboard.
But if you have the money I would definitely recommend buying mechanicals, just make sure you take the right switches..
Rewben2

kevpwns wrote:

Green switches are tactile (have a click) like blues/browns, except take 80g of force to actuate and 105g to bottom out. Here's the force required for each:

I have absolutely no idea why someone would want greens, they are a very heavy version of blues. Maybe if you're an obese monster that fat fingers 17 keys at a time and needs the extra force for not making typos? I don't know. But for osu! i'd say greens are a huge no no.
Topic Starter
kevpwns

Rewben2 wrote:

kevpwns wrote:

Green switches are tactile (have a click) like blues/browns, except take 80g of force to actuate and 105g to bottom out. Here's the force required for each:

I have absolutely no idea why someone would want greens, they are a very heavy version of blues. Maybe if you're an obese monster that fat fingers 17 keys at a time and needs the extra force for not making typos? I don't know. But for osu! i'd say greens are a huge no no.
Holy shit lol nvm then my flimsy hands won't do jack to dem greens

Thanks for the info BTW :)
buny

Rewben2 wrote:

kevpwns wrote:

damn, didn't know there were greens on the market, that are also heavier than black.
might pick them up and give them a try.

I also own blue/black/red keyboards, and they mostly all feel the same to me other than the sound.
show more