forum

Improving Concentration?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Noffy
Is there any way I can improve my concentration?
For the past.. many months my rank and skill have been stagnant. The only time it changed significantly was when ppv2 was introduced and it jumped 60k.
My reading and speed are okay, but I'm pathetic at streams if I haven't practiced them.
When I try to play harder maps I space out a lot. This is a bad habit from playing the same difficulties for too long and I'm not really sure how to fix it because if I concentrate too hard I can't keep up with the speed.
Are there any maps that require mainly concentration I could practice on perhaps?
Aqo

dorothy3242 wrote:

Is there any way I can improve my concentration?
Play boring/repetitive maps that are also difficult.

This is by far the best as well as a proven method to improve concentration both fast and for the long term.

A lot of people don't consider it a skill and it's arguable whether it is or not but concentration is definitely a useful trait in this type of games and after playing several different ones in the genre I can tell you nothing helps concentration nearly as much as playing boring maps.
Myke B
doesn't every single map require concentration??
winber1
read your whole history textbook twice.
TakuMii
have a staring contest with a .jpg
yoyomster
Do you feel like you have to concentrate on every single object? Because I don't think that's necessary and would be impossible to do at higher difficulties (and streams) anyway. Try to follow the flow of the song/map instead.
Myke B

yoyomster wrote:

Do you feel like you have to concentrate on every single object? Because I don't think that's necessary and would be impossible to do at higher difficulties (and streams) anyway. Try to follow the flow of the song/map instead.
Actually, what makes you good is being able to concentrate on that many objects that fast. Also, when people ask for help with certain patters, most people give the advice to concentrate on each individual note.
Kukuthemoogle
To improve your concentration just try to play really hard maps. Pick a map that you can barely keep up with and then turn on no-fail. I do the same thing, and I feel like it's been helping me improve quite a bit.(In all areas)
yoyomster

Myke B wrote:

yoyomster wrote:

Actually, what makes you good is being able to concentrate on that many objects that fast. Also, when people ask for help with certain patters, most people give the advice to concentrate on each individual note.
Ok, I agree you have to concentrate on every object. But that doesn't mean you have to concentrate equally as hard on every one of them. I know that's different from what I said earlier, but that's what I meant.
buny

winber1 wrote:

history is such a dumb subject
GoldenWolf

yoyomster wrote:

Ok, I agree you have to concentrate on every object. But that doesn't mean you have to concentrate equally as hard on every one of them.
If you don't want to make random misses, you have to.
NixXSkate
FL+HD long maps
Reyvateil
more coffee...

or less coffee.

Depends on the person.

Playing long maps sure helps, specially with HD.
Myke B

GoldenWolf wrote:

yoyomster wrote:

Ok, I agree you have to concentrate on every object. But that doesn't mean you have to concentrate equally as hard on every one of them.
If you don't want to make random misses, you have to.
yuup :)

history is such a dumb subject
waat.
[ Stellar ]
Play scarlet rose, the map screams concentration.
Topic Starter
Noffy
Thank you for being so kind as to reply! I'm touched and shall do my best to reply to everything.
I'm sorry if its a bit long.

Aqo wrote:

Play boring/repetitive maps that are also difficult.
Do such mystical maps exist? I can't seem to find any that fit both of those requirements. Then again, I am terrible at searching for things.
I will continue my quest to find boring maps!

Myke B wrote:

doesn't every single map require concentration??
That may be why I can only SS once every other blue moon.

winber1 wrote:

That's a pretty interesting idea... Unfortunately my history textbook is interesting and the only pain that comes from it is its extreme weight.

YayMii wrote:

have a staring contest with a .jpg
What if it turns out to be a .gif that blinks?

yoyomster wrote:

That's how I used to try and think, but when I do that I always miss random notes in the stream for no reason and then I lose the flow of the map and fail.

Kukuthemoogle wrote:

To improve your concentration just try to play really hard maps. Pick a map that you can barely keep up with and then turn on no-fail. I do the same thing, and I feel like it's been helping me improve quite a bit.(In all areas)
I have made a collection of all the insane maps I have and can't pass and will try to do that! Thank you~

NixXSkate wrote:

FL+HD long maps
When I play FL I tend to depend on the approach circles cluing me in on where the next hit circle is so playing with HD sounds... I'll try.

TeaDots wrote:

more coffee...

or less coffee.

Depends on the person.

Playing long maps sure helps, specially with HD.
Less coffee for me, drinking it makes me really tired or has no effect. Maybe its from drinking too much caffeinated soda over the years.
HD is pretty fun so I'll do my best with that.

[ Stellar ] wrote:

Play scarlet rose, the map screams concentration.
Okay! :)
Myke B
One last thing: if you're above 5 digit rank then all you need to do is just play. The new PP system is a pretty nice estimate for skill, and you'll find that only 5-6 digit rank people make these types of posts. Anyone lower has already realized that practice is literally the only way to improve clicking circles.
Topic Starter
Noffy

Myke B wrote:

One last thing: if you're above 5 digit rank then all you need to do is just play. The new PP system is a pretty nice estimate for skill, and you'll find that only 5-6 digit rank people make these types of posts. Anyone lower has already realized that practice is literally the only way to improve clicking circles.
I'll try to keep that in mind. It's just that after being stuck in the same area for my rank so long got me a bit frustrated because it seemed just playing wasn't really working out...
Myke B
I know it can be irritating, but you don't get good overnight. I, and many others have been playing this game for years.
Topic Starter
Noffy

Myke B wrote:

I know it can be irritating, but you don't get good overnight. I, and many others have been playing this game for years.
I'll do my best to keep practicing. I think this thread has helped me get over the irritation that's been plaguing me the last week and find out new ways to improve. Dissatisfaction can help pave a road for success? I've been hovering around the same rank for around four months now even though my amount of play has been on the rise lately, which as I said in the opening is probably related to my inability to stay focused. I think I've become too dependent on habit.

Though I do have to mention that playing for years is part of finally being irritated, since I'm nearing three years of osu. :?
Heinzen

Myke B wrote:

You don't get good overnight, but it doesn't take more than a year to get to a decent/average level at the 5~7k if you have a proper practice drill instead of playing wicked maps with no-fail on as I have seen people do.

I serve as example, I have this account for three years but didn't start playing till mar/29/2013, which is less than a year. Got to 700pp and now at the 1k ppv2.

Take a person months, if done right, but not years to become average as I'm.
Myke B

Heinzen wrote:

Myke B wrote:

You don't get good overnight, but it doesn't take more than a year to get to a decent/average level at the 5~7k if you have a proper practice drill instead of playing wicked maps with no-fail on as I have seen people do.

I serve as example, I have this account for three years but didn't start playing till mar/29/2013, which is less than a year. Got to 700pp and now at the 1k ppv2.

Take a person months, if done right, but not years to become average as I'm.
Oh - it most certainly doesn't take years to get "decent", I was just saying that as a "don't expect to be as good as someone who has been playing longer than you right away".

"Though I do have to mention that playing for years is part of finally being irritated, since I'm nearing three years of osu. :?"

Yes, but you also didn't play consistently for 2 years, and neither did I. You have only 10k plays, which is nothing for 2 years. I mean - even I only have like 18k, and that's nothing for 2 years due to long breaks.
Topic Starter
Noffy

Heinzen wrote:

Practice... drills??? How does one develop practice drills did you just go and play anything harder than what you could handle? Warm-ups??
I can't stand playing no-fail because it always ends up frustrating when I finally do well to pass a song and it still has the half score and when I try again I fail.

Myke B wrote:

Yes, but you also didn't play consistently for 2 years, and neither did I. You have only 10k plays, which is nothing for 2 years. I mean - even I only have like 18k, and that's nothing for 2 years due to long breaks.
My play is consistent! It consistently looks like a mountain range! :)
Though in all seriousness to me it is very consistent even if it's fairly low overall except for a break I took for a few months in 2013.
I guess my play count is rather sad...
Heinzen

Myke B wrote:

Not sure if you were refeering to me, but I have 40k plays in the timespan of - roughly - 11 months. Not that it matters cause I retry a lot/play a lot of unranked maps in order to practice, but still, I got your point. I was just stating that there is something wrong if it takes a person years to get decent
Myke B

Heinzen wrote:

Myke B wrote:

Not sure if you were refeering to me, but I have 40k plays in the timespan of - roughly - 11 months. Not that it matters cause I retry a lot/play a lot of unranked maps in order to practice, but still, I got your point. I was just stating that there is something wrong if it takes a person years to get decent
na, I wasn't. 40k is definitely good for 11 months. I only average about 3-4k plays a month.
Keeby
please don't look at your play count and feel sad. I feel like the play count thing is a bit "unlegit" to actually credibly use (my own opinion). I'm only saying that since I've racked up 700 plays on a song that's not even that hard to me anymore... To be honest, I don't even know why I have so many plays on it, actually. I've played 10.3k times with acceleration on, especially since I used to "farm" maps with perfect and sudden death mod. It only took about 1.7k plays with acceleration off to get 500pp post ppv2. <_<

So generally, I wouldn't take play count and time arrived too seriously. It's more about how effectively the play count is used.
Myke B
since I've racked up 700 plays on a song
Holy shit. I don't understand how top players or players in general play one song so many times. Play count is not bad IMO (even though I know people don't agree) because it shows how much you've played. I use the example: if someone is asking "why can't I beat freedom dive, wtf??" and they have a 10k play count ~ people will laugh. Even if 700 of your plays are on one song ~ each of those plays has contributed to your skill in some way.
Heinzen
Play-count is dumb and not dumb at all at the same time.

It's dumb cause every retry and unranked play counts. Which means that playing a fun map (like those 2Bs), or retrying a map every 2 seconds because you keep scoring 100s in the first few notes will be added to your playcount.

It's smart cause it's a good metric to know how much you have played. For example, I have something around 500 retries in Pluto (was one of my favorite maps to practice when I was a baddie), but most of those were actual tries.

Playcount is something to be considered when talking about time spent in the game, but it's not the most precise information about the actual number of plays someone has
show more