forum

Skinnable Files List

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Haskorion

General Info / Disclaimer

The list focuses on files present on the Stable (Latest) release stream and may include changes and additions from the cuttingedge release stream.
osu!lazer is not considered in the listings!

This listing is based on extensive research from multiple sources (old and current skins, changelog entries, ingame validation, or other threads).
Changes and additions will not always be added immediately when they go live.
Facts are "as it currently is!" Inconsistencies may be due to bugs, mistakes or oversights during coding.

Do not send any requests for access for editing of the detailed list! That is to prevent vandalism and falsifying facts!
Reply here or send a message to RockRoller if there are oversights, wrong facts or mistakes/typos. Suggestions for new tables or columns are welcomed. All of these will be checked and added to the list.

Navigation

1. sprites = contains all image files and their functions
  2. sounds = contains all audio files and their functions
  3. skin.ini = contains all configurable settings of a skin and their functions
  4. skin versions = small overview about changes done by the line "Version:" in the skin.ini-file

Colour coding

Files are colour coded depending on which game mode they belong:
  1. pink = osu! (Standard)
  2. green = osu!taiko (Taiko)
  3. blue = osu!catch (Catch the Beat)
  4. purple = osu!mania (Mania)
  5. orange = used in gameplay (playfield)
  6. grey = User Interface (UI) or shared stuff

Additional notes

These little markers on boxes can be hovered above and show additional information that can be rather difficult to understand. They aren't shown if the sheets are viewed per HTML-view.

Ayesha Altugle
stick this one out for the sake of the newer skinners
2D girl lover
I have read the Animation part, it really good idea for skinner....
i just like to ask hit0,hit50,hit100,hit100k,hit300 and hit300g also animation or not

and also the lightingL and lightingN is animasion or not

all that is my hit animation Item,(i make it my self but the lighting it not from my skin)
Topic Starter
Haskorion

2D girl lover wrote:

I have read the Animation part, it really good idea for skinner....
i just like to ask hit0,hit50,hit100,hit100k,hit300 and hit300g also animation or not

and also the lightingL and lightingN is animasion or not

all that is my hit animation Item,(i make it my self but the lighting it not from my skin)
hit0, hit100 etc. are referred to as hitburst so they are animated, of course.

I bolded out in the first paragraph that the list right now focuses on osu!standard since I didn't play mania so often, but lightingL and lightingN are also animated. Better edit my post real quick with your suggestions.
Garygoh884
I don't have any idea on how the alignment of the font sprites work and how they are positioned.
Kyuunei_old

ReddScorn wrote:

osu! prioritizes old behaviour over new behaviour if not forced.
osu! will force new skin behavior if you added 'Version: 2' in skin .ini under general options. Just in case you didn't know.
Topic Starter
Haskorion

Kyuunei wrote:

ReddScorn wrote:

osu! prioritizes old behaviour over new behaviour if not forced.
osu! will force new skin behavior if you added 'Version: 2' in skin .ini under general options. Just in case you didn't know.
Of course I know this but I thought that should rather be in the skinning support topic, since the skin.ini file is described in detail there. I wonder why this line still isn't added there.

I will also update my post with this annotation and add a section about the scorebar and about beatmap skins. It seems like beatmap skins don't check for the tick on old/new behaviour.

Garygoh884 wrote:

I don't have any idea on how the alignment of the font sprites work and how they are positioned.
Like what sprites? The Score in the top right corner, the combo count at the bottom left? They seem rather self explainatory when checking their dimensions and the FontOverlap in the skin.ini file.
I will include anchorpoints for the first digit shown on the score, combo count, accuracy score, hitbursts, hitburstcounts and more related to the ranking panel in a later edit.
Garygoh884

ReddScorn wrote:

Garygoh884 wrote:

Like what sprites? The Score in the top right corner, the combo count at the bottom left? They seem rather self explainatory when checking their dimensions and the FontOverlap in the skin.ini file.
I will include anchorpoints for the first digit shown on the score, combo count, accuracy score, hitbursts, hitburstcounts and more related to the ranking panel in a later edit.
For my skin, I use font sprites each with fixed height and different widths. The combo counter on the bottom left of the screen and the hitcircle numbers worked perfectly with the defined Overlap value, but it appears overlapped for the score and accuracy on the top right of the screen. (Assuming that I used the same font prefix as defined in my skin.ini, for which both ScorePrefix and HitcirclePrefix have the same prefixes)

I seemed that I couldn't get the math of how the font sprites appear on the score located on the top right of the screen...
Topic Starter
Haskorion

Garygoh884 wrote:

For my skin, I use font sprites each with fixed height and different widths. The combo counter on the bottom left of the screen and the hitcircle numbers worked perfectly with the defined Overlap value, but it appears overlapped for the score and accuracy on the top right of the screen. (Assuming that I used the same font prefix as defined in my skin.ini, for which both ScorePrefix and HitcirclePrefix have the same prefixes)

I seemed that I couldn't get the math of how the font sprites appear on the score located on the top right of the screen...
This has to do with the overlap.You mostly see scorenumbers that have up to 3 additional columns on the sides of the numbers so you don't need to change it in the skin.ini file.
A simple way to fix this is to set the overlap value to 0 so they won't overlap.
If you think it still looks too cramped you can go into the negatives like -1 or -2 which also work like a set distance between the numbers.
This will also affect the combo counter and the ranking panel so this is fixed along with this change.
darkmiz
I think this post should merge with or updated into the skinning tutorial thread.
TakuMii
Here's also something you missed: When the skin has particles, the matching hitnumbers will use a different fade-in animation and will appear behind the hitcircles (rather than in front).
I'm not sure if people are aware of this, and personally I think that it's significant enough that people who don't even use particles should have invisible particle#.png files in their skin anyway.
Topic Starter
Haskorion

YayMii wrote:

Here's also something you missed: When the skin has particles, the matching hitnumbers will use a different fade-in animation and will appear behind the hitcircles (rather than in front).
I'm not sure if people are aware of this, and personally I think that it's significant enough that people who don't even use particles should have invisible particle#.png files in their skin anyway.
Thanks, I will add this to the list. By testing, without particles the hitburst is somewhat like a bouncy popout that fades away fast and appear in front while with particles it is less bouncy with a short fade in and a slow fade out appearing behind the circles.
OsuMe65
Boy, this might be another long debate.
Also... keep this simple for newbies. Since anchoring WOULD be a big deal for those who don't have much experience in photo-editing softwares.
Just saying ;)
DJNightmare
Definitely useful :3
I hope to see more unexpected behaviours though :D
darkmiz
Anyone know what star3.png is?
OsuMe65

darkmiz wrote:

Anyone know what star3.png is?
a dead element. can't be skinned
Topic Starter
Haskorion

OsuMe65 wrote:

Boy, this might be another long debate.
Also... keep this simple for newbies. Since anchoring WOULD be a big deal for those who don't have much experience in photo-editing softwares.
Just saying ;)
After reading over my article I must agree with you.
To newer skinners it seems like a rather confusing matter and would lead to more unaesthetic skins than clean ones.
I put my self in their shoes and saw the problems more clear. Mostly they first look at what they can change on a skin and will mostly try to stick to the given dimensions and don't worry about the behaviour.
What shall they do with anchorpoints if they don't even know how skins really work or how their programs work?
Therefore I want to change the focus of the topic on general skin behaviour and the differences between the old and new behaviour as a collection post to have an overlook about these. The skinning support topic is rather long and doesn't really list any of these helpful facts separately to avoid making new posts and topics which rather get closed rapidly regarding the latter.
To still offer the anchorpoints I put the section in a spoilerbox and moved the anchorpoints from the old/new behaviour section into the predefined section and changed the order of these sections. They still should be included in this post for the more experienced skinners who sometimes don't follow the dimensions given to make extraordinary skins to give them a better feel. I bet only a small portion of these skinners even list them themselves, so I want so help them out by confirming and listing these points.

If a larger scale debate occurs about the anchorpoints I wouldn't mind excluding most of them if the contra side overtakes the pro side.
Topic Starter
Haskorion
Didn't really want to make this double post but since no one really gives input I kinda have to.

As you may have noticed this topic got stickied and lists the behaviour during gameplay, HD-elements, or differences between the old and new behaviour.
Since I'm playing standard mostly I have no real clue about the other game modes but still want this topic to be addressed to all game modes.
Therefore I'm asking all of you to give input on any missing behaviours from all game modes or in general to make this a somewhat complete list by the community for the community.

To contribute more to this post I wll list some plans for the next updates.

Plans:
  • -expand list of dead elements (aimed at older skins as a template)
  • -make a list with all currently skinnable elements sorted by game mode or usage
  • -sort facts per game mode after more input
  • -start making screenshots to provide visual help
  • -start formatting to make it more visually appealing after input
  • -maybe drop points from or expand list of anchorpoints
All of this will take some time and will be implemented step by step or maybe dropped.

I hope for a lot of help / input from you to make this a topic worth reading.
AGRX
you are so awesome, thx for doing this i hope there will be a perfect thread with also pictures the old one looks outdated (uploaded on imgur albums or soemthing)
Topic Starter
Haskorion
The recent update changed or rather fixed two aspects listed here and one has a larger impact.

With the new update the scorebar-marker is now skinnable and forces a different anchorpoint on the scorebar-colour than the scorebar-ki elements.

The new anchorppoint is 12,12 when using the marker and breaks all skins which currently have it.
Also it prioritizes the marker before the ki.

The smaller fix is for new-styled spinners which showed the spinner-approachcircle.

That aside I also changed the title of the topic. IMO the old title addressed the content only lightly whereas the new one specifies it more directly. Skinning does not only change the UI but also affects gameplay to a certain extend, for example mania skinning can change the readability heavily by removing the columnlines or highlighting a coloumn using a different colour or simply making 300's hidden in standard.
I hope you agree with that change.
show more