A newbie friendly guide to Linux

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

The fact you're running Windows 10 on that is extremely impressive. Anyway, yes, yes you can. In fact, it might actually work better. Linux Lite or Lubuntu would work better than Windows on that I think
The OS doesn't lag but the games do. Like it can run Minecraft Java pretty fine, but sucks to run lazer and sometimes even stable client.
I'm just confused how you have trouble running stable compared to Minecraft Java, to be honest.
Hydreigon

Winnyace wrote:

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

The fact you're running Windows 10 on that is extremely impressive. Anyway, yes, yes you can. In fact, it might actually work better. Linux Lite or Lubuntu would work better than Windows on that I think
The OS doesn't lag but the games do. Like it can run Minecraft Java pretty fine, but sucks to run lazer and sometimes even stable client.
I'm just confused how you have trouble running stable compared to Minecraft Java, to be honest.
maybe he's playing at very low settings or something... idk... im 99% sure that osu is a less demanding game compared to minecraft.

Rhythm32 wrote:

2 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Pentium dual core cpu
Integrated Graphics
Windows 10
like this is pretty low end specs tbh, at that point its most likely the hardware's fault that causing the games to lag.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Hydreigon wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

maybe he's playing at very low settings or something... idk... im 99% sure that osu is a less demanding game compared to minecraft.
Even then, Minecraft Java Edition is known to be a beast of a game that can put down systems with a 4090 in it, at least without mods.
Hydreigon

Winnyace wrote:

Even then, Minecraft Java Edition is known to be a beast of a game that can put down systems with a 4090 in it, at least without mods.
yeah i think rendering distance mostly contributes to that, at least it can be changed to low for the one's with 2gb ram pc's to high for the ultimate gamers.
KatouMegumi
Speaking of Siglus VNs. I had no problems running it personally, though I did use a nocd crack.
Rhythm32

Winnyace wrote:

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

I forgot to mention that the stable client lags pretty rarely. That's my sister's pc specs. The PC which I have is a BIT better. My PC specs are:

4 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Celeron J3060 @1.60 Ghz Dual-Core Processor
Intel Integrated Graphics(128 MB VRAM I think...)
Windows 10

It's an All-In-One PC which can run osu!stable, Minecraft, among us, DDLC and other low end games pretty nicely BUT it sucks in lazer. Like the performer drop is HIGHLY noticeable.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

I forgot to mention that the stable client lags pretty rarely. That's my sister's pc specs. The PC which I have is a BIT better. My PC specs are:

4 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Celeron J3060 @1.60 Ghz Dual-Core Processor
Intel Integrated Graphics(128 MB VRAM I think...)
Windows 10

It's an All-In-One PC which can run osu!stable, Minecraft, among us, DDLC and other low end games pretty nicely BUT it sucks in lazer. Like the performer drop is HIGHLY noticeable.
I see. That explains things better, to be honest.
Hydreigon

Rhythm32 wrote:

i used to have an All in one PC, they really do suck in the gaming side, but there cheap and serviceable enough for normal stuff like studies or certain work.
Rizumu Tenshi

KatouMegumi wrote:

Speaking of Siglus VNs. I had no problems running it personally, though I did use a nocd crack.
Sounds like a (relative to what I have) previous Saga Planets VN since I don't remember any brand that used the Siglus engine with AlphaROM, but thanks for the hint. I still may have to experiment, but that means I could cross Floral Flowlove as OK.

That's, I think, 3 of 5 good to go: Floral Flowlove, DEEMO -Reborn- and, somehow, DJMAX RESPECT V since XIGNCODE3 actually went on to support Linux, apparently (excellent work Valve!!).
- Marco -
I would use GNU/Linux but my 1060 doesn't want to work using passthough :( :( :(
KatouMegumi

Rizumu Tenshi wrote:

KatouMegumi wrote:

Sounds like a (relative to what I have) previous Saga Planets VN since I don't remember any brand that used the Siglus engine with AlphaROM, but thanks for the hint. I still may have to experiment, but that means I could cross Floral Flowlove as OK.

That's, I think, 3 of 5 good to go: Floral Flowlove, DEEMO -Reborn- and, somehow, DJMAX RESPECT V since XIGNCODE3 actually went on to support Linux, apparently (excellent work Valve!!).
Admittedly the title I was reading was Hatsukoi 1/1
Topic Starter
Winnyace

- Marco - wrote:

I would use GNU/Linux but my 1060 doesn't want to work using passthough :( :( :(
Why do you need to use a VM?
Topic Starter
Winnyace
Oh and also no one besides extremely posh and somewhat weird people say call it GNU/Linux.
Corne2Plum3
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

I hate you, Corne
Ymir
total furry death
Polyspora

Ymir wrote:

total furry death
not eblf
Ymir

Polyspora wrote:

Ymir wrote:

total furry death
not eblf
You know how Hitler's doctor was actually a Jew but Hitler spared him?
Polyspora

Ymir wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

Ymir wrote:

total furry death
not eblf
You know how Hitler's doctor was actually a Jew but Hitler spared him?
thats uh, interesting I guess
Nuuskamuikkunen

Ymir wrote:

total furry death
No.
Boykisser meme tho yes.
Rizumu Tenshi
Enough of that bullshit, you guys absolutely ruined the chance this topic could be moved to General Discussion.

I should start looking into other distros as well, though, not just stick to Pop!_OS...
Corne2Plum3

Rizumu Tenshi wrote:

Enough of that bullshit, you guys absolutely ruined the chance this topic could be moved to General Discussion.

I should start looking into other distros as well, though, not just stick to Pop!_OS...
Off-Topic > General Discussion
abraker
Aiseca
I used Linux back in college.
And the OS feels like it's eerily clean that I feel like it's illegal to use it for games or something that's not of professional use.
Patatitta

Rizumu Tenshi wrote:

ah yes, the ultimate honor that a thread on OT can aspire to, killed by being moved to another subforum
Aiseca

Patatitta wrote:

Rizumu Tenshi wrote:

ah yes, the ultimate honor that a thread on OT can aspire to, killed by being moved to another subforum
Typical Tourist Behavior.
There's a reason why this is an Off Topic sub. Derailment and random replies are inevitable. 😊
And GD is dead, so it's better the thread to be here UwU
Ymir

Rizumu Tenshi wrote:

Even though this is a good enough thread to be put on General Discussion, OP put it in OT first. You don't typically see threads getting moved out of OT unless it's a language issue.
Kobold84
I had installed Mint today. Not because of this thread however, I have ubuntu installed on a different PC. For now it feels somewhat better.
- Marco -

Winnyace wrote:

- Marco - wrote:

i have gamepass untill June 😳👉👈
Behrauder
I don't understand anything about Linux and I'm not going to read all of this. So I quickly researched Linux on the internet and found this:

I think I'll take that as tl;dr lol. /j
Hydreigon

abraker wrote:

didnt know Penguin used linux
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Rizumu Tenshi wrote:

The thread wasn't meant to be in GD, so I don't know why you're feeling so mad.

If Pop!_OS doesn't work for you, sure thing, look for more distros. If it does, don't distrohop just for the sake of doing that.

- Marco - wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

- Marco - wrote:

i have gamepass untill June 😳👉👈
Oh. I see. I think there's a way to get that working under Linux natively, but I don't know.
Rizumu Tenshi

Winnyace wrote:

Rizumu Tenshi wrote:

The thread wasn't meant to be in GD, so I don't know why you're feeling so mad.

If Pop!_OS doesn't work for you, sure thing, look for more distros. If it does, don't distrohop just for the sake of doing that.
Oh don't worry, I mean to see if there's any better choice before committing to avoid distro hopping.
Unknown Duck
Great guide for convincing players to try Linux. Although I advise to use a more up-to-date distro like Fedora or Ubuntu since Linux Mint updates only periodically which would cause issues on people that run on more newer hardware (which is common nowadays).

I've seen countless people trying Linux for the first time through Linux Mint and almost all of them encounter issues. The main cause of their issues is mostly due to an outdated kernel out of the box and they had to research for hours when simply using a later kernel version from the Kernel Manager fixes all of their issues. A lot of first-time Linux users fail to encounter this solution and just quits overall before they can come across it.

As of now, Linux Mint uses a more up-to-date kernel that supports most hardware out right now, which makes it fine to use right now, but it'll get outdated sooner than you think and in the future, the same thing will happen again due to newer hardware coming out every year while Linux Mint updates every 2 years.

I recommend Fedora or Fedora-based distros. They're very beginner-friendly and the only hard part of using Fedora is from the installer. Once you've passed that, you'll run into little to no issues using your PC. You can stay up-to-date while being very stable with Fedora.
Jangsoodlor

Unknown Duck wrote:

Great guide for convincing players to try Linux. Although I advise to use a more up-to-date distro like Fedora or Ubuntu since Linux Mint updates only periodically which would cause issues on people that run on more newer hardware (which is common nowadays).

I've seen countless people trying Linux for the first time through Linux Mint and almost all of them encounter issues. The main cause of their issues is mostly due to an outdated kernel out of the box and they had to research for hours when simply using a later kernel version from the Kernel Manager fixes all of their issues. A lot of first-time Linux users fail to encounter this solution and just quits overall before they can come across it.

As of now, Linux Mint uses a more up-to-date kernel that supports most hardware out right now, which makes it fine to use right now, but it'll get outdated sooner than you think and in the future, the same thing will happen again due to newer hardware coming out every year while Linux Mint updates every 2 years.

I recommend Fedora or Fedora-based distros. They're very beginner-friendly and the only hard part of using Fedora is from the installer. Once you've passed that, you'll run into little to no issues using your PC. You can stay up-to-date while being very stable with Fedora.
Linux mint "edge" edition exists. It shipped with latest kernel iirc

Also Fedora sucks for me. Of all editions I tried, only the Gnome ISO managed to boot past the bootloading screen Other ones have checksum errors
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Unknown Duck wrote:

Either work in my eyes. I have used Linux Mint as my primary distro back when I was starting out and it worked more than okay. I have used Fedora Plasma Spin too for a little bit recently and it worked as expected.
TyrTornado55
So, I already use linux as my main computer, but I recently started mapping in the Lazer version on linux.

It's pretty fun, But I can't figure out how to actually upload any maps when using linux.
EnigmaticG
Hi,

You need to run the stable version to upload (I use wine to run it), since uploading beatmaps isn't implemented in lazer yet. I just do all my mapping in lazer, then export a file and move it to my stable folder.
Manishh
why is this in off-topic
great_elmo
I will definitely switch full time once Windows 10 goes EOL
Espionage724
osu! (not lazer) works good on FreeBSD 14.1 through 32-bit Wine! I did winetricks mono_remove, dotnet20, dotnet40, and dotnet45, but I'm pretty sure only dotnet45 is needed.

Can't use Lazer because no native FreeBSD compatibility, it's win64-only (FreeBSD Wine is either 32 or 64, no both, I chose 32) and it won't compile (something dotnet-related iirc doesn't support FreeBSD).
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Espionage724 wrote:

osu! (not lazer) works good on FreeBSD 14.1 through 32-bit Wine! I did winetricks mono_remove, dotnet20, dotnet40, and dotnet45, but I'm pretty sure only dotnet45 is needed.

Can't use Lazer because no native FreeBSD compatibility, it's win64-only (FreeBSD Wine is either 32 or 64, no both, I chose 32) and it won't compile (something dotnet-related iirc doesn't support FreeBSD).
Great to hear that osu! stable runs under BSD. I don't think peppy will waste time making Lazer compatible on BSD, mostly because BSD isn't ran all that much as a desktop OS, like Linux. The fact Lazer even supports Linux is great though.
burgernfat
KatouMegumi

burgernfat wrote:

Looks like you.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

KatouMegumi wrote:

burgernfat wrote:

Looks like you.
Jangsoodlor

Winnyace wrote:

KatouMegumi wrote:

burgernfat wrote:

Looks like you.
Topic Starter
Winnyace
But you know, that's fine. Just don't act superior and smug, like some of the idiots of this sub-forum.
burgernfat

KatouMegumi wrote:

burgernfat wrote:

Looks like you.
russian secret service agent doxxed my ass ...
Polyspora

KatouMegumi wrote:

burgernfat wrote:

Looks like you.
damn you just dunked on the linux haters! good job
Rhythm32
Mint. I love mint. Might as well try Linux Mint someday... When I have time to do that stuff. Ugh.

A VM is gonna save me.
great_elmo
Yeah. Try it out in a VM, see if you like it and then decide if you're gonna switch.