1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Feature Requests
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +946
show more
posted
This isn't very hard to achieve through normal means (flip screen & tablet, right). However, it's quite a hassle to actually do it every time you want to flip a beatmap. Could probably be automated with a script or program, though, but I don't think anyone's taken it that far yet?

I'd like to point out Soaprman's argument again, because I fully agree with this. It's an equality vs. equity thing.

Soaprman wrote:

This isn't a step down in difficulty. It's a step to the side. It is exactly the same map, but flipped. There is no reason this should be anything but x1.0.

I should also note that this is a usability request. It's about comfort. It's akin to a left-handed person asking for some lefty scissors. Though I support it also because it sounds fun.
Aside from this, I'd like to point out that by many beatmaps being centred around right-hand oriented play, left-handed players have had an advantage all along, right? Now that's food for thought!
posted
tasty food indeed
posted
I think there should be a compromise considering the points:

1. peppy don't want a practice mode
2. left-handed players are at disadvantage, or at an advantage according to Buxxy
3. right-handed players can benefit by flipping selectively (i.e. "being lazy")
4. the intention of the mapper (mainly movement of hand)
5. left hand is a mirror of right hand over y-axis

The compromise, sounding ridiculous, is to register an account as left-handed and flip ALL maps, but it is too radical and has consequences. But that has nothing to do with the request. The mod is useless, and as stated, you can manually flip it if for practice. If it seems troublesome to you, you can always automate the flipping using some sort of programming wizardry.
posted
No.. Just no.
posted
wow 600 stars
posted
This should have a 0.5% modifier or lower if added, I personally think this is a terrible idea for a mod and you should just learn to play parts you can't do.

I can not see this being a ranked mod and I don't think it should be, if you want to flip the map then ctrl+a ctrl+j in the editor and voilà.
posted
1. Some people who have difficulty with certain patterns use certain sides of their brains to overcome them. This use of each side is apparent in the directions people spin, those who spin right predominantly use their right half to calculate and left use left etc. (Note: this is only my theoretical thinking, not based on solid research conducted by I.)
left is counter clock wise, right is clock wise? i dont... correct me please. this is confusing

as others have said, because this skips the practice of some patterns that people are not comfortable with, its better with a lower score multipler. like 0.9x or something i dont know
posted

sarasseo wrote:

1. Some people who have difficulty with certain patterns use certain sides of their brains to overcome them. This use of each side is apparent in the directions people spin, those who spin right predominantly use their right half to calculate and left use left etc. (Note: this is only my theoretical thinking, not based on solid research conducted by I.)
left is counter clock wise, right is clock wise? i dont... correct me please. this is confusing

as others have said, because this skips the practice of some patterns that people are not comfortable with, its better with a lower score multipler. like 0.9x or something i dont know
0.9x is way too big for a mod like this, people underestimate how much it helps. If you have problems with a pattern that is your fault and your fault only, you shouldn't have your hand held by a mod.
posted
I haven't really noticed much difference between a map and an H-flipped version, to be honest. I thought it might help, and a certain map, since I have problems with a certain pattern, however, I obtained exactly the same results. Almost the same accuracy, and same combo.
posted
I've played some maps where the notes circle one way, stop, and then circle the other way. And if you believe in the split brain thing, just switch hands. Mirroring the osu map doesn't magically swap your brain and you're still using the same hands for the same things.
posted
Brain lateralization (aka left-brain vs right-brain) is probably not a factor here, it's seldom actually a factor in anything (regardless of what many people think). If it was, I'd be spinning withershins. There is a preference for direction of rotation and diagonal, but that's just a personal thing with some bias for handedness. But it's not really a good reason for doing this in my opinion, because a good mapper shouldn't be mapping in a way that shows a preference. Ideally, it would be nice if this was checked somewhere in the moderation process, but it isn't really so important. Just know mappers, that there is at least one person that gets a kick out of seeing a map where the approaches to spinners have been made in opposite directions. And given my predilection for that sort of thing, I can't really support mirroring because of it... because it would be pointless in a world where all maps are neutral to the effect.

I'm certainly not buying it on the ideal of "useability". The left handed people I know have long since learned how to use a pair of right handed scissors with their left hand (whereas my cross dominance leads me to try using them left handed and failing because I can only use them mirrored from how I use them in my right). Some have even pointed out their dislike for using left handed ones (or even a mouse on the left side)... they've simply adapted to doing it offhand to the point that they gained cross dominance with the tool. In any case, the factor is too minor here to interfere with usability... it's an easy skill to learn to be effectively neutral (if not totally), unless you're being forced to play offhand (I did this for a while).
posted

Alchemi wrote:

I haven't really noticed much difference between a map and an H-flipped version, to be honest. I thought it might help, and a certain map, since I have problems with a certain pattern, however, I obtained exactly the same results. Almost the same accuracy, and same combo.
Then you can't do the map at all.
posted
That depends on what you call to "do" a map.
posted
I don't think there's a way this mod can be implemented without upsetting people.
I agree with things such as the following:

jesus1412 wrote:

0.9x is way too big for a mod like this, people underestimate how much it helps.
At first reading this I thought it would be a great idea to have this as RANKED to help the left handed people have a fair shot at stuff without having to put in the extra effort that isn't needed from a right handed person, but now I realise that it could be taken advantage of by right handed people to get better scores on maps that originally had more difficult patterns. A opposing argument would be that a right handed person would need the Mirror mod to get a score like the left handed person would on this kind of map that is more difficult for right handed people. If this mod were to be added, from what I've gathered most people would like it to be unranked or for it to not exist in the first place, which makes me feel sorry for the lefties - I think that as a community we could make it work, even if it didn't work straight away we'd even it out and make it more of a fair mod over time and maybe even to the point where it's ranked.
I support this.
I'm right handed. ^.^
posted

ChicagoTed7172 wrote:

I don't think there's a way this mod can be implemented without upsetting people.
I agree with things such as the following:

jesus1412 wrote:

0.9x is way too big for a mod like this, people underestimate how much it helps.
At first reading this I thought it would be a great idea to have this as RANKED to help the left handed people have a fair shot at stuff without having to put in the extra effort that isn't needed from a right handed person, but now I realise that it could be taken advantage of by right handed people to get better scores on maps that originally had more difficult patterns. A opposing argument would be that a right handed person would need the Mirror mod to get a score like the left handed person would on this kind of map that is more difficult for right handed people. If this mod were to be added, from what I've gathered most people would like it to be unranked or for it to not exist in the first place, which makes me feel sorry for the lefties - I think that as a community we could make it work, even if it didn't work straight away we'd even it out and make it more of a fair mod over time and maybe even to the point where it's ranked.
I support this.
I'm right handed. ^.^
Sorry but I totally have 0 believe that some patterns are "easier" depending on which hand you use primarily, if anything it would be based on the direction you intuitively spin which would be in the direction of patterns you would find easier.
posted
I'm loving the conspiracy about maps being centered around right handed play

like any mapper would think about that while making maps

OH HMM NEED TO MAKE A FEW PATTERNS THAT ONLY RIGHT HANDED PEOPLE CAN CLEAR HMMMM oh wait that's impossible

whatever extra difficulty there is in playing certain patterns, it comes from the way you spin.
posted
+1 for unranked for sure.
posted

thelewa wrote:

whatever extra difficulty there is in playing certain patterns, it comes from the way you spin.
This is actually very true and once I found out about it changed how I approach spinners.

See, I spin clockwise, which is less common than counterclockwise.
I found that people who played my maps had trouble at my spinners because my patterns would send them in a clockwise motion before they reached a spinner.
Now I make it a point to send the player in a counterclockwise motion before a spinner, even though I personally prefer it as clockwise.

If there was a mirror function I would not have to worry about messing up spinners for clockwise players like myself.
posted
If this was implemented, it would need to have a score reduction in my opinion.
posted

jesus1412 wrote:

Sorry but I totally have 0 believe that some patterns are "easier" depending on which hand you use primarily, if anything it would be based on the direction you intuitively spin which would be in the direction of patterns you would find easier.
I remember on a map I played before, where there were a couple of jumps in a triangle shape, some of them were clockwise, the others being anti-clockwise and I always at least missed one of the circles in the clockwise pattern but could do the anti-clockwise one almost perfectly nine out of ten times I tried it. I'm sorry I don't remember the map, and I know that a Mirror mod wouldn't exactly help in that case because it was all in the same beatmap, but I assume this kind of thing happened to everyone. After a while I got around this clockwise pattern by practicing it over and over again until I could finally do it well, but still never could do it as well as the way I spin.

P.S. still nobody came up with an idea for the image for the mirror mod?
show more
Please sign in to reply.