forum

osu!mania FPS

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Silver Sky
How much FPS do you get while playing? I heard that it affects delay and such
I only get about 140 up to 300. Is it good enough or do I have to use a better computer to play more optimally?
Xcrypt
50-800, depending on the map (amount of notes/s etc)

In my experience everything under 100 is unplayable because of input lag.

I think your average of ~200 is pretty fine, you might get some small advantages from higher refresh rates but it shouldn't affect your play too much. Unless you are an acc player. 200 fps should give you about ~5 ms random delay (1000/200).
FrzR
My lappy can do around 120~140. Unlimited FPS Settings. Sometimes drops to 80 when storyboards are in play. But it didn't really matter at all. :3
Drace
Surpassing your monitor's refresh rate is the best you can do. If you don't know your monitor's refresh rate, I'd say it's 60hz-80hz so your performance is optimal.
Envisionise
I'm on a school laptop, anything under 60 fps feels choppy but anything above is fine. Use unlimited fps during gameplay, it's great.
Topic Starter
Silver Sky
I guess it's fine, then. Thank you for the feedback guys :D
Tear
When I use frame limiter (120fps), I get about 30ms of input lag. In osu, fps is not just about refresh rate.
Drace
When you use a frame limiter or vsync it's a whole different story. The process of actually limiting the frames to the target amount is what causes the the input lag, not the fact that you're running at xx-fps.

Since OP said he's getting 140-300 fps, he's running on unlimited ^^

I know in 3D games games wait for frames to be rendered before taking the input, which usually makes the input lag for 2-4 frames. So if the game lags that input for lets say, 4 frames. For 60fps (16.7 ms per frame x4 ) you'd be getting 66.6ms of input lag. And for 300fps (3.33ms per frame x4) you'd be getting 13.3ms of input lag.

Though I'm not sure if this also applies to 2D games, the inputs could be processed independently from the frame render. But even worst case scenario, the lag you're getting from your fps is completely negligible, since it most likely wouldn't lag for more than one or two frames.

Bigger players in this would be your keyboard itself and the connection. If you're using usb (or lappy kb) you'll have some (very low, like 2ms) input lag, but it increases with the amount of keys you can press at once. An nkro keyboard through usb, which a big chunk of players uses, will have about 6-8ms of input lag. Also having multiple USB connections though the same hub or driver could cause input lag if you end up surpassing it's bandwidth.

How ever, a PS/2 connection will experience less than 1ms of input lag. Most PS/2 keyboards are also nkro.

While were at it, some monitors have more response time than others. It can range from less than 1ms to over 10ms. Most sound devices don't experience lag, but certain options within the drivers can easily create audio lag. If your speakers or headset is USB, you'll be experiencing some audio lag depending on the audio quality. If your headset or speakers gots and external driver, chances are you have about 8ms-10ms of audio lag.

But regardless of the input/output lag you get, it's mostly stable lag so you'll grow used to playing with +/-xxms lag. It'll become second nature to you. So much so that if you ever get to try perfect 0/0 lag, you might perform worst on it... You get o2jamers playing with charts 30ms offsync and they play it just fine haha.
Topic Starter
Silver Sky
Yeah I think it's about the habit in playing with xx ms delay too. I once tried to play in a high spec pc and high end monitor and ended up getting only 200 :o
Tear

Drace wrote:

When you use a frame limiter or vsync it's a whole different story. The process of actually limiting the frames to the target amount is what causes the the input lag, not the fact that you're running at xx-fps.
That's interesting, never thought about it in this way.
Lieselotte
1000~2000 XD
Murako
500~800 lol but even playing with 120 doesn't feel that bad
Bobbias

Drace wrote:

But regardless of the input/output lag you get, it's mostly stable lag so you'll grow used to playing with +/-xxms lag. It'll become second nature to you. So much so that if you ever get to try perfect 0/0 lag, you might perform worst on it... You get o2jamers playing with charts 30ms offsync and they play it just fine haha.
Yeah, if I know a map if off by a certain amount in many cases I can adjust to it and play on time to the notes just fine. The only problem is when theres variable bpm or o2jam converts with bad speed changes then leave it off sync. That gets a lot harder to adjust to mid-play, but it's still doable.

I get 120-140 fps ingame and I play with a global offset of -20, which seems to work out perfectly.
NaxelCL
300~400 :c i'm bad with this fps lag lag everywhereXD
[ M o m o ]
50-70 fps :(
andromeda2020

[ M o m o ] wrote:

50-70 fps :(
You are not alone. my pc is shit :cry:
FrzR
Unlimited. Runs at around 100~130. That's fine for me.
Razkiery
Around 1400-1800. Sometimes i get around 2000 XD...
andrew123AB
hola a todos tengo un problema es que se actualizo mi osu y ahora me va a 1 fps y de ms me va a 4000 y no se como solucionarlo porque antes me iba a mas de 480
Corne2Plum3

andrew123AB wrote:

hola a todos tengo un problema es que se actualizo mi osu y ahora me va a 1 fps y de ms me va a 4000 y no se como solucionarlo porque antes me iba a mas de 480
Please do not post on very old threads. Make a new one instead.