forum

Learning to read with HD on?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Raniemi
Hidden is my least favorite mod and it is the one I have most trouble with. I want to know how people got into using hidden and be able to SS insanes with it.

Did you :
- Play with HD for a long time until you got used to it? How long did that take?
- Remember the exact timing when to click when the circles disappeared?
- Just listen to the beat? I don't understand how that works when there are streams...

If you can, please supply with as much info as you can.
Thanks! :)

Edit :

Ranimar wrote:

What about reading circles that are stacked or under sliders?
Soulg
I did both of the first two, and I still do #2. When you get into insanes you really only play 2 AR's (8 and 9) with the overwhelming majority being 9, so it gets really easy to know when to hit.

As for the 3rd thing, listen to the hitsounds. If there are fast repeating sliders, then that is hitting at the same rate as the streams (IN MOST CASES not all) so use that as a guideline.
Weed
play it enough to get comfortable with it, but don't play only hidden because it'll screw up your reading
Myke B
Playing with HD will almost come naturally when you learn to really play with rhythm. Approach circles are almost not needed in a lot of cases. The only way streams seem like the way they do, is because you have probably yet to play them accurately. They will become just like any other notes that you must hit to the rhythm.
Almost
Pretty much if you are watching approach circles intently to find out when to hit the circle, you're doing it wrong. I first started hidden really early into the game and found it easier to hit the circles because the approach circles are incredibly distracting and very hard to get good accuracy with. The best option for players having problems with hidden is just to use the time after disappearance as the approach circle.
ballplay
i started playing on hd the first month i started playing. i watched replays and autos of hd and kinda just figured it out
Full Tablet

Almost wrote:

The best option for players having problems with hidden is just to use the time after disappearance as the approach circle.
Since the beginning I have used the time after the appearance of the circle instead of the disappearance.
buny
i got a tablet
uzzi
Just pair it with HR...makes it a LOT more fun!
aBunny
save a blank .png file as your approach circle and play with it for like a day. once you turn on HD, youll notice that its pretty much the same thing
nyrox
Took a few hours to adjust to ar 8 and 9 HD timing, couple days of practice for aim.
Rewben2

sarasseo wrote:

save a blank .png file as your approach circle and play with it for like a day. once you turn on HD, youll notice that its pretty much the same thing
Wouldn't just playing everything with HD for a day accomplish the same thing? lol
aBunny

Rewben2 wrote:

Wouldn't just playing everything with HD for a day accomplish the same thing? lol
People get overwhelmed when the notes disappear and also not having approach circles.
imo, people just depend too much on the approach circle when they ask for help with HD.

removing the approach circle will be the same as playing hd but without the notes disappearing so i guess it can help o.o
it helped me :<
Blueprint
I suck at hidden but I think I have an easier time with fast spaced beats while using hidden, kind of irelavent to the topics question I suppose +1
Myke B

buny wrote:

i got a tablet
GG
Topic Starter
Raniemi
buny

Ranimar wrote:

get a transparent skin
Soulg

sarasseo wrote:

bad idea
very bad
do not
winber1
I consider myself a decent hidden player, despite never really trying to get HD scores ever. Though, the majority of my DT scores are with hidden.

1) I have never practiced HD by itself, ever. I've only "practiced" it when I felt like FC-ing something with it, which is very rare. I've found that just playing and getting better at regular maps and even HR mod, helped me with HD, because instead of paying attention to approach circles, I pay more attention to when the hitcricles themselves appear, not where the approach circle is.

2) I only remember where notes are if there are very awkward unreadable stacks or rhythm. This doesn't happen too often though. I am generally able to figure out the rhythm of most of my DT HD plays without having played the map ever. Most stacks are relatively easily readable for me because you can see stacks. If you can't see the stacked notes, then you just have to memorize them. However, sometimes you can guess where the next stacked note is, because it feels like the music is still going but you don't see a note, so there must be a stack either at the beginning of the slider or at the end that you can't see.

3) Reading streams is a combination of when you see the last note of the stream and listening to the music. Most streams end on the main beat (unless the music otherwise dictates), and depending on when you see the last note of the stream, you can generally judge/feel when to stop. Also generally you start a stream with the same finger you end with (unless the music has dotted rhythm, which are much less common to see when streaming).

After a while you will just get a feel of when notes will appear and disappear. Alternatively, you could just play hidden all day I guess. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about hidden too much.
Horolynn

Soulg wrote:

sarasseo wrote:

bad idea
very bad
do not
Speaking from experience, it really is a bad idea.
Fetish
I'm so used to using HD that I can't play without HD anymore. Much listen. Very don't like approach circles.
Soulg

Techniques wrote:

I'm so used to using HD that I can't play without HD anymore. Much listen. Very don't like approach circles.
so learn how to play without HD again.

nothing in this game is something that if you learn it you should lose the ability to do the opposite. if you learn to read AR10, you shouldn't just accept the fact that you can no longer read AR5. if you learn to stream 220bpm forever, you shouldn't just not be able to stream anything slower at all.
beeboy123
To truly learn hidden you must play with your eyes closed.
buny

beeboy123 wrote:

To truly learn hidden you must play with your eyes closed.
that's flashlight
Ekaru
HD + FL with eyes closed or bust
Myke B
One must feel the notes - you must play with your heart Ranimar-san.
iderekmc

Ranimar wrote:

Hidden is my least favorite mod and it is the one I have most trouble with. I want to know how people got into using hidden and be able to SS insanes with it.
listen to the beat
[ Stellar ]
Why do people ask these kind of question? The answer is simple: practice.
It's like learning how to play anything for the first time; you're not going to be pro at it instantly.
Do hidden on easy-normal's then move on to harder songs, simple as that.

I was terrible at hidden when I first tried it. Like, all my friends could play it except me :?
Soulg
hidden is harder on easy/normals. i'd say start playing it when you make the jump to either hards / insanes
Myke B

Soulg wrote:

hidden is harder on easy/normals. i'd say start playing it when you make the jump to either hards / insanes
Very true - I could still find myself goofing with HD on easy difficulties.