forum

What did you vote for Best of 2013?(also general discussion)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
buny
Also general discussion thread (not using disqus because it reeks of autism)

first of all, congratulations to RLC for getting the top spot with t+pazolite feat. Rizna - Distorted Lovesong (RLC) Infected Mushroom - The Pretender (RLC)

For the lazy people:
Best 10 osu!standard maps of 2013
1st with 668 votes - Infected Mushroom - The Pretender by RLC!

2nd with 403 votes - Yousei Teikoku - The Creator (meiikyuu)

3rd with 402 votes - An - artcore JINJA (Flower)

4th with 358 votes - Linked Horizon - Guren no Yumiya (TV Size) (Kuria)

5th with 355 votes - Wotamin - Gigantic O.T.N (Star Stream)

6th with 350 votes - FujuniseikouyuuP - FREEDMAN (val0108)

7th with 350 votes - LeaF - Calamity Fortune (Flower)

8th with 321 votes - nano - Nevereverland (Nyquill)

9th with 320 votes - 3L - Three Magic (cRyo[iceeicee])

10th with 302 votes - Tatsh - IMAGE -MATERIAL- (Scorpiour)

Best 10 Taiko maps of 2013
1st with 358 votes - Linked Horizon - Guren no Yumiya (TV Size) by Kuria!

2nd with 355 votes - Wotamin - Gigantic O.T.N (Star Stream)

3rd with 350 votes - FujuniseikouyuuP - FREEDMAN (val0108)

4th with 350 votes - LeaF - Calamity Fortune (Flower)

5th with 320 votes - 3L - Three Magic (cRyo[iceeicee])

6th with 302 votes - Tatsh - IMAGE -MATERIAL- (Scorpiour)

7th with 295 votes - t+pazolite feat. Rizna - Distorted Lovesong (RLC)

8th with 259 votes - Harada Hitomi, Kayano Ai & Ogura Yui - Maware! Setsugekka (TV Size) (wcx19911123)

9th with 228 votes - Igorrr - Pavor Nocturnus (grumd)

10th with 222 votes - Linked Horizon - Jiyuu no Tsubasa (TV Size) (Kuria)

Best 10 Catch the Beat maps of 2013
1st with 271 votes - ONE OK ROCK - Rock, Scissors, Paper by Haya!

2nd with 197 votes - DECO*27 feat. marina - Aimai Elegy (val0108)

3rd with 166 votes - LeaF - MEPHISTO (Alumetorz)

4th with 194 votes - Gentle Stick X M2U - Hades in the Heaven (AngelHoney)

5th with 89 votes - IOSYS - Endless Tewi-ma Park (Kurosanyan)

6th with 66 votes - Infected Mushroom - The Pretender (Seph)

7th with 47 votes - TeamGrimoire+Amaneko - croiX (HelloSCV)

8th with 47 votes - P*Light - TRIGGER*HAPPY (MineC24)

9th with 43 votes - ZUN - Because Princess Inada is Scolding Me (Stefan)

10th with 35 votes - ginkiha - Oriens (Deif)

Best 10 osu!mania maps of 2013
1st with 355 votes - Wotamin - Gigantic O.T.N by Star Stream!

2nd with 166 votes - LeaF - MEPHISTO (Alumetorz)

3rd with 119 votes - Igorrr - Unpleasant Sonata (Sieg)

4th with 104 votes - Gentle Stick X M2U - Hades in the Heaven (AngelHoney)

5th with 103 votes - fripSide - only my railgun (TV Size) (DJPop)

6th with 90 votes - RYO - Shuffle Heaven (Nemis)

7th with 82 votes - Pendulum - The Island (MaxNRG Remix) (Skalim)

8th with 69 votes - bj.HaLo - Ende (Loctav)

9th with 68 votes - ALTIMA - Burst The Gravity (TV Size) (Zeroarg)

10th with 62 votes - yuikonnu - Souzou Forest (indyinyou)

1. What maps did you vote for? You can check here
(optional) 1a. Why did you pick them?

2. Did any of the maps that you voted for end up in the top 10?

3. Do you believe that the maps voted in the top 10, deserved their spots? If not, why?

4. Were you happy with the results?

1. What maps did you vote for?
An - artcore JINJA [Flower]
Aoi Eir - Lament [CXu]
Cres - End Time [Maddy]
Dark PHOENiX - Last Remote - Type gamma [sjoy]
DECO*27 feat. marina - Aimai Elegy [val0108]
DystopiaGround - AugoEidEs [Amamiya Yuko]
FujuniseikouyuuP - FREEDMAN [val0108]
HujuniseikouyuuP - Sayonara Lechenaultia [qq944364487]
Last Note. - Caramel Heaven [Snepif]
LeaF - Calamity Fortune [Flower]

Yes, quite a few actually.

3. Do you believe that the maps voted in the top 10, deserved their spots? If not, why?
Though I think all of them are good maps, I don't think that rank 2, 4, 9, and 10 deserved their spots. Simply because I believe there are better maps out there that are different than the ones that I picked, especially the SnK map.
I think Guren no Yumiya only got 4th spot due to its songs popularity, and not because of the map itself.
I also think image -material- got its place in the top 10 purely because the map is hard. Sure the map itself has wonderful patterns, but I don't think the people that voted for this map actually took in mind map quality - at least not before difficulty. My opinion about The Creator is also the same.
I'm not against Three Magic being a good map, but I certainly don't think it deserves its spot in the top 10

Overall? Yes.
What mattered the most is that the rank 1 spot was definitely well deserved, and I'm quite happy that the top spot wasn't taking by something silly purely because the song was popular or that the map was difficult.

Also may I point out that it was pretty dumb to count a vote as standard and as any other modes that the mapset also contained
Weed
Blackhole - Lagomorphic [happy623]
Blue Stahli - Shotgun Senorita (Zardonic Remix) [Aleks719]
CON - Cruel Clocks [Amamiya Yuko]
Lapfox Trax feat. guilhox - Lapfoxed Forever [Blue Dragon]
MiddleIsland - Roze [Lan wings]
MitiS - Open Window (feat. Anna Yvette) [[Luanny]]
Oratorio The World God Only Knows - God only knows -Secrets of the Goddess- [Guy]
Yousei Teikoku - Kyouki Chinden (TV Size) [Saten] (forgot it didn't involve the ^2 diffs :( )

yay 1, (how could i forget rlc maps ffs)

2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 no just overhyped maps or maps people liked for the song (imo) I hadn't even had heard of the 9th map before this btw

sure there's really no reason to complain, the maps that the majority of the community got voted on there. if the majority likes those maps so be it. although im sure guren no yumiya would've been higher on the list if it wasn't for the community "hate" towards it

also there should be a 5th option for why did you pick these maps?
Topic Starter
buny
Sure, I added it as an optional question in part with the first question
fartownik
SPOILER
Black Sun Empire - Dawn Of A Dark Day (Receptor Remix) [Natteke]
Cres - End Time [Maddy]
Epik High ft. Taru - 1 Minute 1 Second [Glass]
Hatsuki Yura - Yoiyami Hanabi [Lan wings]
Igorrr - Pavor Nocturnus [grumd]
Infected Mushroom - The Pretender [RLC]
MiddleIsland - Roze [Lan wings]
Shano x 40mP - Natsukoi Hanabi [Frostmourne]
Taneda Risa - Wareta Ringo [Frostmourne]
Tsunamaru - paranoia [Chewin]

Pretender.

Not at all. Starting from the bottom of the list, Image Material has been (most likely) picked by newbies because it's tough as hell, thus they think it's good. I've already explained this case in another thread about the voting, the rule has just been confirmed once again. The map is (at least in my eyes) no quality to be considered best of anything.

Haven't played Three Magic so I can't really say anything about it.

Nevereverland was actually pretty decent and deserves a spot there, though it was most likely chosen because of the song only anyways.

I actually got surprised Calamity made it in, surprised in a positive way. This one is good as well.

Popular, hard, vocaloid = FREEDMAN = best map of 2013. Obviously.

Gigantic penis is an okay spot too.

And here comes the hammer everyone's expected. Shingeki no Kyojin had to make it to the charts this year, weeaboos wouldn't have forgiven otherwise. If it has to be SNK, why wasn't it Skystar's Jiyuu no Tsubasa, which is pretty damn good? Kuria maps popular songs only and here we go, seems like it works and he's actually the best mapper ever. Not saying the map is bad, but there were other maps that are better.

Can't comment on artcore JINJA. Seriously, I just don't know if it deserves a place or not since the hardest diff is so much shit while the easier one is amazing. There's no balance.

The Creator is the biggest mistake right after Guren no Yumiya, picked because of the difficulty and the song.

With about a half - yes. With the other half - not at all.

And yeah, let's go on and pretend everything went smoothly and the maps that got in are actually the best maps of the year.
nya10
1. What maps did you vote for? You can check here
SPOILER
An - Artcore JINJA (Flower)
B.o.B feat. Hayley Williams - Airplanes (Feint Remix) (Snepif)
Ceui - COLORFUL DAYS!!! (Laurier)
Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - Jump Around (iyasine)
Hatsuki Yura - Confession -Mitsuyaku Langage- (Kotone)
Infected Mushroom - Pink Nightmares (RLC)
Kawada Mami - Serment (Zero__wind)
MUZIK SERVANT feat. TAM - Upright Blue (Reiji-RJ)
senya - Kanjou Chemistry (Drum 'n' Bass Remix) [Satellite]
Yousei Teikoku - Deep Sea [EvilElvisV2]

Only 1 lol, artcore jinja <3

Pretender, artcore jinja, and calamity fortune deserved it. I don't mind about having like Gigantic O.T.N and Nevereverland (although this nevereverland I found a bit boring) to be in the top 10, although I'm not sure about it. Three Magic is not bad at all, and there's another super duper difficult map that's they enjoyed lol, the creator and image material :x , and the guren no yumiya is on the top 10 just because of it's popularity I think. In 2014 i will make a harlem shake beatmap so that everyone enjoy my map because of the song thanks!

At least it is better than the last year voting (y) , overall I'm still happy , but there's some dissapointment though
EDIT : After I see full results, I think it's a joke =__= (Ex: distorted lovesong < image material , Re:make from rucker < Re:make from tutuhaha , I can't say about that maware in #16)
Vuelo Eluko
susprised image material made it up there, considering relatively few people can even do it.

I actually voted for 4 of the ones that made it to the top I think, oddly.

Freedman
Pretender
Gigantic O.T.N
Nevereverland

I also voted for a lot of Renard maps but that was too ambitious I guess.

Needed more Renard in the top 10, otherwise.. not bad... But srsly why image material
nooblet
FujuniseikouyuuP - FREEDMAN [val0108]
nano - Nevereverland [Nyquill]
Rohi - Kakuzetsu Thanatos [NatsumeRin]
S.S.H. - Intersect Thunderbolt-Remix [7odoa]
Tamura Yukari feat. motsu from m.o.v.e - You & Me [cRyo[iceeicee]]
Wotamin - Gigantic O.T.N [Star Stream]
Yousei Teikoku - The Creator [meiikyuu]
Yousei Teikoku - Kyouki Chinden (TV Size) [Saten]
Yush, ones that were seriously picked and ones that I picked 'cuz of the song as well :)
Like previously said, some were picked 'cuz of the popularity of that song, I guess that just tells us if beatmappers want their maps to be 1st they gotta be the first to get a ranked song for [next overhyped anime].
Haven't played 3/9/10 so idk.
1st is definitely well-deserved. 2nd I picked for the song (like Kyouki Chinden :) ), and had a feeling it'd end up there just from the song comments alone. 5-6-7 should have the order flipped imo, but they're all streams anyways so bleh. 8th 'cuz of song <3.
Pretty much expected results, but I actually expected 4th to end up 1st by a mile but it didn't xD.
Why isn't Rohi - Kakuzetsu Thanatos [NatsumeRin] there :( .
uzzi
DJ Genericname - Dango Dango Drum and Bass [Moway]
LeaF - MEPHISTO [Alumetorz]
MuryokuP - Sweet Sweet Cendrillon Drug [Smoothie]
Nanahira - Frightfully-insane Flan-chan's frightful song [Sherry]
REDALiCE Feat. Ayumi Nomiya - Little Star [LKs]
sakuzyo - ChaiN De/structioN (siilento's solid remix) [Entozer]
t+pazolite feat. Rizna - Distorted Lovesong [RLC]

1.a) Most of my voting criteria consisted of maps that had well timed/designed streams and jumps. Some of my favourite maps too.
Quite! Fewer than I hoped though...
#1 I wholeheartedly agree with, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, and 10 feel a bit iffy to me.
Only reason I say that is because those maps (I feel) could have had much better design, though they aren't necessarily BAD per se, just not top 10 worthy.
I would've voted for Freedman, had the deadline been a bit later...
For the most part, a little disappointed that more of my picks aren't there, but it can't be helped. xD
silmarilen
Demetori - Crimson Belvedere ~ Eastern Dream [jonathanlfj]
Epica - Fools of Damnation [HellDawn]
Jeff Williams - This Will Be the Day (feat. Casey Lee Williams) [ampzz]
Oratorio The World God Only Knows - God only knows -Secrets of the Goddess- [Guy]
Raujika - Grim [JauiPlaY]
Raujika - Land of Grace [Strawberry]
Wotamin - Gigantic O.T.N [Star Stream]
ZUN - Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess [sjoy]

yes, gigantic penis

not really, im seriously surprised that maps like distorted lovesong and crimson belvedere didnt make it (not because i voted them, but just because of the things ive heard about them)
freedman, guren no yumija, image material and the creator definetly didnt deserve the spots in my opinion because they were only voted for difficulty/popularity. the rest of the maps are either good or i didnt play them.

not really
Aqo
RLC must be crying inside right now since he has a million amazing maps people don't even know about and yet a map he doesn't even like anymore (at least last I heard) is what he's known for now

sorry for not following op's format but my only thoughts about this poll is that it's insanely unfair for taiko/ctb/mania mapsets to be listed under the map submitter name and not the actual maker of the maps of those mods.

Also while many of those are interesting maps there was clearly a huge bias towards maps that were ranked later in 2013 and much higher quality maps that were ranked in early 2013 got almost no spotlight.
Topic Starter
buny

Aqo wrote:

RLC must be crying inside right now since he has a million amazing maps people don't even know about and yet a map he doesn't even like anymore (at least last I heard) is what he's known for now

sorry for not following op's format but my only thoughts about this poll is that it's insanely unfair for taiko/ctb/mania mapsets to be listed under the map submitter name and not the actual maker of the maps of those mods.
well I don't know if he likes it or not, but nevertheless he's going to have a lot more popularity piled onto his name now

also yeah with the other game modes, that is unfair.
Although I did mention in my first post that most of these maps (probably all of them) were voted up to the top ONLY because of their standard difficulties, because standard votes also counted for other game mode votes as long as they contained a different mode difficulty
Aqo

buny wrote:

also yeah with the other game modes, that is unfair.
Although I did mention in my first post that most of these maps (probably all of them) were voted up to the top ONLY because of their standard difficulties, because standard votes also counted for other game mode votes as long as they contained a different mode difficulty
in other words the results of this voting are completely meaningless and boil down to popular songs with a somewhat hard osu!standard diff

as always
Reyvateil
capitaro - Tenshinranman High Collar Hime [Midasmens]
DECO*27 feat. marina - Aimai Elegy [val0108]
jippusu - Heisei Kataku Rhythm [HelloSCV]
KOKIA - Ningen tte Sonna Mono ne [Lizsig]
REDALiCE Feat. Ayumi Nomiya - Little Star [LKs]
Shano x 40mP - Kiritorisen [Frostmourne]
Tamura Yukari feat. motsu from m.o.v.e - You & Me [cRyo[iceeicee]]

Looking back at the list, maybe be there are a few maps I enjoy a bit more now than at the time of the voting, simply because I haven't played them at the time, but the only one I would take from this list is You & Me, in favor of Aoi Eir - Lament, AugoEidEs or Caramel Heaven.

artcore JINJA and Calamity Fortune.

From bottom to top:

IMAGE -MATERIAL- as many said was voted only because of the difficulty, by playing it on HT I just got bored halfway, the map is repetitive and other than some creative sliders it's just extremely generic with some mad fast streams.

I'm not sure about Three Magic, it's a great mapset, I used to play the hard a lot when I started and it's probably one of the hard maps that I still like the most, the insane is also quite good specially with DT. Maybe it really deserves a top 10 spot.

Nevereverland while the whole mapset is great, being one of the full song maps like Caramel Heaven that all difficulties are enjoyable I like the latter way more. The song is catchy which helps but even being good the mapset isn't top 10 material.

Calamity Fortune... FREEDMAN... Great D**k... YES! YES! YES!

We all know what we think about #4.

#3 was best thing last year.

Okay, so I've just downloaded The Creator, which difficulty was supposed to be really good and bring all that hype? The ones Saten made? What's the difference between these and the other Mirai Nikki maps he made?

Fine with Pretender being #1.

Nope, artcore JINJA lost to some Saten trying to be val0108 map.

Aqo wrote:

Trigger*Happy extend <3

Really hoping it gets ranked.
casmith789

Assorted fun maps to play including Calamity Fortune. Can't remember all of them. All of them had good beatmaps + good songs.

Just calamity fortune.

Not #1 or #10. From what I can see, most of the others could be fine, but those two are far too long with nowhere near enough difficulties to be the best beatmap.

Image Material is a really bad map; any map with multiple spinners at the start is just terrible in my opinion. Also, it is clearly too fast and should be at HT speed so that current speed can be for DTers

Not really, but hardly affects me :)
Coffee Hero
Image Material is a really bad map; any map with multiple spinners at the start is just terrible in my opinion. Also, it is clearly too fast and should be at HT speed so that current speed can be for DTers
huh
Spiky Cactus

casmith789 wrote:

Also, it is clearly too fast and should be at HT speed so that current speed can be for DTers
but the song is originally at that speed
Aqo
the song is 130bpm and many of the streams in the map are ghost notes

the map is incredibly boring for people who can actually play it and all the votes it got is from people who can't, simply because it's AR10 and Tatsh
I usually like Scorpiour's maps but imo that's like his worst one. something like Tomerarenai is waaaay better and yet :no votes: because not-AR10 and not-way-too-hard-for-most-people

speaking of 130bpm songs, Ifuudoudou would've probably made it into top10 if it was ranked in november/december instead of april
Akali
I think that's good that long map with 260 bepeemz streams is ranked, just for the sake of variety and ranked pool matching different skillsets Design is ok, nothing special (super standard even, has few bright moments).

Top 10 worthy? Definitely not.
TensaiRhythm
Chata & nayuta - Yuune Zekka, Ryouran no Sai [sjoy]
Nekomata Master+ - squall [Rue]
Nekomata Master+ feat. JUNE - being torn the sky [Leader]
Ranko - Sei Natsu [Amamiya Yuko]
Raujika - Grim [JauiPlaY]
Raujika - Land of Grace [Strawberry]
Rita - Princess Blood [Zweib]
Tiara - Toki wo Tomete (feat. WISE) [tutuhaha]
yanaginagi - Zoetrope (TV Size) [Ryafuka]

Nope :D

yeah, it was a community vote...

Nope :D
Defacer
­
Xgor
Didn't vote didn't care 8-)
Soulg
no idea what i voted on but im pretty sure a few of them made it into top 10
Topic Starter
buny

Akali wrote:

I think that's good that long map with 260 bepeemz streams is ranked, just for the sake of variety and ranked pool matching different skillsets Design is ok, nothing special (super standard even, has few bright moments).

Top 10 worthy? Definitely not.
next year: 400 bpm