forum

Help keeping my mouse in one area?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fuh
When I play songs, like this one;

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/45853

I have a habit of moving my mouse hand too far to my right and it ends up hitting the edge of my mouse-pad and screwing me over.
I've tried keeping my hand stationary and only moving my wrist, but it ends up hurting.
Weed
did you disable mouse acceleration?
Myke B
yeah - turn accel off if you have it, and try messing around with dpi/sensitivity. if you have to move an uncomfortable amount, then try turning the sensitivity up.
buny
disable all acceleration, if that is disabled

what you experience is probably drifting,
this is the con of using mouse in comparison to tablet as it lacks absolute positioning.
the reason this happens is because when you move your mouse, it won't be faced at the same angle constantly. a much more extreme example you can try yourself is moving your mouse cursor up, rotate your mouse by 180 and then move it down, your cursor will not be in the same position but your mouse will

i suggest you either get a tablet, or learn how to reposition/lift your mouse,
AegisFTW
As a mouse player I really don't have this problem since I have a very high DPI (4250), but my suggestions to you is to get a bigger mouse pad, learn to reposition, or a higher set DPI.
Blueprint
If you don't have the luxury of a decent sized mouse pad I play on 2.0 with a relatively cheap mouse.
Almost
Getting a mouse with a better sensor will help as well.
uzzi

AegisFTW wrote:

As a mouse player I really don't have this problem since I have a very high DPI (4250), but my suggestions to you is to get a bigger mouse pad, learn to reposition, or a higher set DPI.
Jeez how do you even play with the cursor that fast....
beeboy123

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

AegisFTW wrote:

It's called 1337 skill.
AegisFTW

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

AegisFTW wrote:

I've always used high sens since I was a wee baby, so I got used to it.
nooblet
Try stationing your pinkey finger on your mouse pad. Like, just plop it down and keep it there the whole time. Use your wrist/fingers to move the mouse, but don't move your pinkey! Just keep it there and it'll give you some sort of positioning. Find a mouse speed that lets you comfortably move around the playing area, but not too fast 'cuz you'll lose accuracy. In other words, find the slowest comfortable speed for the playing area while not moving your pinkey. 'tis what I do when I play mouse-only.
Mathsma

nooblet wrote:

Try stationing your pinkey finger on your mouse pad. Like, just plop it down and keep it there the whole time. Use your wrist/fingers to move the mouse, but don't move your pinkey! Just keep it there and it'll give you some sort of positioning. Find a mouse speed that lets you comfortably move around the playing area, but not too fast 'cuz you'll lose accuracy. In other words, find the slowest comfortable speed for the playing area while not moving your pinkey. 'tis what I do when I play mouse-only.
That feels really awkward for me. If I dont have my pinky on the mouse I feel like I lose stability.
sangu
When I played with mouse (CMStorm Recon) I found that my mouse would drift if the mousepad was even slightly dirty. (that being said it was a 2 dollar pad from office max so probably not the mouse's fault) So I would suggest giving your pad a cleaning if you don't already.
AmaiHachimitsu
As a mouse player I really don't have this problem since I have a very high DPI (4250)
The only problem you have is that your movement precision is par with your dog's

As to the topic, buny said everything. You might try to keep the mouse face one direction to minimize the drift, but it's uncomfy as fuck
GoldenWolf

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

AegisFTW wrote:

NoYzE
When i had a dell office mouse i had the same problem.
When i bought a logitech g400s the problem was gone.
Surprise!
Fagg0t

GoldenWolf wrote:

#rekt
AegisFTW
The pinky technique, although seems unnatural, seems to work well, but when I start to move my mouse a lot more to kinda simulate lower DPI it feels like it's restricting movement, that is if you want to have that low of DPI.

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

As a mouse player I really don't have this problem since I have a very high DPI (4250)
The only problem you have is that your movement precision is par with your dog's
The fact that I can FC some insane songs already says that's bull.

GoldenWolf wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what you are trying to show here...It just looks like a couple of somewhat meh scores.
buny

LeFaggot wrote:

#rekt

AegisFTW wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what you are trying to show here...It just looks like a couple of somewhat meh scores.
they aren't "meh" scores, i'll tell you that
Mathsma

AegisFTW wrote:

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

The fact that I can FC some insane songs already says that's bull.
If you really want to progress in osu! you need to drop your dpi. Just because you can FC super easy insanes doesn't mean that your dpi is fine. I'd recommend 400~1800 dpi if you are serious about this game.

And yeah it's preference, but only up to a certain point. You are sacrificing precision for speed when this game is all about precision. You want to find the slowest possible sensitivity that you feel comfortable using (not a seriously slow speed, just one that feels right while being slow), not the fastest possible speed you are 'comfortable' using.
buny
pls

i disregarded aim and accuracy and acquired speed long ago
Soulg

buny wrote:

acquired speed
teach me master nice post count
buny
fc this https://osu.ppy.sh/b/146372?m=0 with dt

get a billion pp
AegisFTW

Mathsma wrote:

If you really want to progress in osu! you need to drop your dpi. Just because you can FC super easy insanes doesn't mean that your dpi is fine. I'd recommend 400~1800 dpi if you are serious about this game.

And yeah it's preference, but only up to a certain point. You are sacrificing precision for speed when this game is all about precision. You want to find the slowest possible sensitivity that you feel comfortable using (not a seriously slow speed, just one that feels right while being slow), not the fastest possible speed you are 'comfortable' using.
Although I do agree most of those insanes are pretty easy and took me 5~10 tries to FC... I don't think I'm going to do that, I like the game and I /do/ want to progress to a certain point, but I'm not serious enough to be the best, I just want to play comfortably overall. Also I'm a bit stubborn when people recommend settings that I HAVE to use so I've kinda of already set a goal for myself to prove that you can play with high DPI even if it's ridiculously high like mine.
Soulg

buny wrote:

get a billion pp
ok

what if i cant do 180bpm for that long half the time? should i just kill myself?
buny

Soulg wrote:

buny wrote:

get a billion pp
ok

what if i cant do 180bpm for that long half the time? should i just kill myself?
then you aren't my real son
Soulg
i am dissatisfied.

back to practicing
Almost

AegisFTW wrote:

Mathsma wrote:

Although I do agree most of those insanes are pretty easy and took me 5~10 tries to FC... I don't think I'm going to do that, I like the game and I /do/ want to progress to a certain point, but I'm not serious enough to be the best, I just want to play comfortably overall. Also I'm a bit stubborn when people recommend settings that I HAVE to use so I've kinda of already set a goal for myself to prove that you can play with high DPI even if it's ridiculously high like mine.
No one said anything about it being impossible to become pro with high dpi but all your proving is that you have the patience to play with a lot of errors in your aim.
AegisFTW

Almost wrote:

No one said anything about it being impossible to become pro with high dpi but all your proving is that you have the patience to play with a lot of errors in your aim.
The implications that you are saying is that I already (or will have) tons of errors in my aim could only be really told through statistics or time. Worst case scenario is that is I'm wrong, but will still probably have experienced enjoyment in my end.
Soulg
based on the fact that higher dpi means less accuracy to the point where you could possible skip pixels, its a safe assumption that you have errors. you just dont notice them because you're used to it and assume that they are just your actual skill lacking
Myke B

AegisFTW wrote:

Almost wrote:

The implications that you are saying is that I already (or will have) tons of errors in my aim could only be really told through statistics or time. Worst case scenario is that is I'm wrong, but will still probably have experienced enjoyment in my end.
Well put.
AegisFTW

Soulg wrote:

based on the fact that higher dpi means less accuracy to the point where you could possible skip pixels, its a safe assumption that you have errors. you just dont notice them because you're used to it and assume that they are just your actual skill lacking
Really depends on how much pixels are being skipped, I play on a 1920x1080, and I play on 4250 DPI, so does that say anything?
Myke B

AegisFTW wrote:

Soulg wrote:

Really depends on how much pixels are being skipped, I play on a 1920x1080, and I play on 4250 DPI, so does that say anything?
kinda, but If I'm not mistaken - 4.w/e k dpi is fucking insane even for me which I have the same monitor resolution.
AegisFTW

Myke B wrote:

kinda, but If I'm not mistaken - 4.w/e k dpi is fucking insane even for me which I have the same monitor resolution.
I can say the same about people with 800 DPI, I move like a damn slug and moving the mouse makes me go insane.

EDIT: When I use claw grip it's much better, but I love to use my wrist a bit more with a high DPI
GoldenWolf

AegisFTW wrote:

I can say the same about people with 800 DPI, I move like a damn slug and moving the mouse makes me go insane.
But it gives you more control over your aim and more room for errors.
show more