forum

[resolved] [confirmed] Osu crashes on alt+tab while on fullscreen mode

posted
Total Posts
show more
Nathanael

jose7952 wrote:

My osu crashes with Windows + D as well, please there's a way to fix this?
You can't fix it by yourself. Only the developers (or just peppy) can fix it.
Soinou
That was fixed in the previous update, and it's back again :(
Axel14_old
Guess i have to wait for an update for this :cry: While my friend next to me can keep playing with out no bug worriees
peppy
This should be completely fixed in the latest build. If you can replicate, give SPECIFIC instructions. And provide a video.
TheVileOne

Still happening.

I'm just alt tabbing during transitions. Not going to be able to get a video right now.

I can replicate transitioning into a game, and by pressing F2.

It happens in both public and test build.

1. Alt tab while selecting a new song.
2. Game will crash upon selecting tab to reenter game.

The behavior seems to be worse than before you disabled flashlight. I can consistently cause it to crash.
Soinou
Happens to me too, the same error, but when alt tabbing on the song selection window. Then on return to osu!, black screen for some secs, and crash.

Happens only on some songs, on other songs, something weird happens :

My default playfield (Skin), is a blank image, so when going on song without a background, the background is just black.

But when I alt tab out of the song selection screen on some songs, and going on a song without a background, the background is replaced by the picture of the song that was selected when I alt tabbed.

I'll try to see if it does on some songs in particular or if it's totally random.

Dunno if it can help, but well, better than nothing.

And sorry for the video, can't really record atm, maybe i'll do it later if it can be useful.

Well, I tested it a bit, and I noticed that alt-tabbing a lot makes a significant fps drop (120fps ~ 60fps after something like 10 alt-tab). Dunno if it's related, but still pretty weird.

Oh, and doing it enough times (20-30 maybe) makes osu! crash with this error :

Such error
System.InvalidOperationException: Begin must be called successfully before a Draw can be called.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.InternalDraw(Texture2D texture, Vector4& destination, Boolean scaleDestination, Nullable`1& sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2& origin, SpriteEffects effects, Single depth)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Draw(Texture2D texture, Vector2 position, Nullable`1 sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2 origin, Vector2 scale, SpriteEffects effects, Single layerDepth)
at #Lm.#Mm.#Ms()
at #Lm.#sp.#Ms()
at #fj.#kj.#Ms()
at #rb.#xb.#Ms()
at #1h.#0h.#Ms()
at #rb.#xb.#7s()
at #rb.#xb.#it(Object , EventArgs )
at #rb.#Bb.#Dt()
at #rb.#Rb.#Sv(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at #rb.#Rb.#ot()
at #rb.#xb.#ot()
at #1h.#np.#Iwb(String , Boolean )
ColdTooth
I can confirm this, both public and test.

http://puu.sh/7Nojl.mp4

I enabled fullscreen, went into song select, and I selected another song, while alt+tabbing. Once I did that it gave me a black screen, and went into my desktop. After that I tried alt+tabbing once more, and it brought out up the same black screen as before, stopping all audio as it did. This then gave me the error message TVO had.

(couldn't show the black screen cause my program doesn't do that.)

Hopefully this helps
peppy
Why don't you like, stop alt-tabbing while changing songs? How do you even manage this?

Safe to say that most cases which matter are fixed?
TheVileOne
I don't know why someone would do it. I don't use fullscreen normally. If you want to chalk this up as resolved, then I guess you could do so. But it's barely changed since it was first confirmed. There's less background overwriting with random textures, and perhaps leaving the game 's behavior is better, but transitions still will crash.
Soinou
I'm alt tabbing while changing songs to check pm on the forums, check my mails, see if someone spoke on Skype or things like that.

And i'm doing it quite often.

I need my alt-tab :(.

But well, if it's too hard to fix, nvm, i'll probably switch to windowed and find something to disable that horrible Windows 8 vsync.
peppy
Why not just wait until you aren't changing songs to alt-tab? Like alt-tab before it start or after it starts. I will eventually figure a fix for this, but it's really not straight-foward.
TakuMii
I feel like I might be the only person with this problem, but ever since the fixes were released I haven't been able to alt-tab at all. Whenever I try to switch to another program, osu! comes back up by itself.

Soinou wrote:

But well, if it's too hard to fix, nvm, i'll probably switch to windowed and find something to disable that horrible Windows 8 vsync.
FYI, you'll still get 1 or 2 frames of extra latency on Windowed mode on Windows 8, even if you manage to turn off the forced vsync.
Syden
I'm not entirely sure what the recent updates are covering, but i just thought that i should mention, the frequency at which osu actually crashes for me, when i alt tab has increased dramatically. I haven't done anything which should affect osu, so i can only think of it being something to do with recent updates. (I get that the updates were "supposed" to have fixed it, but this is what is occuring for me. I sometimes get the crash report box, and sometimes i dont)

Another thing worth mentioning is: It seems to occur whenever i'm getting songs from the website and i choose Osu! Direct. I go ingame and then it crashes.
[NM]
bug game
VelperK

[NM]NeverBack wrote:

bug game
peppy
Hopefully fixed for good.
Nathanael
I'm unable to experience any crashes on b20140408.3test.
Looks like fixed for me. Anyone else?
ffstar
me too, i think it's fixed now
thanks peppy!
TheVileOne
I tried many times to get it to crash and it seems fine.
Sieg
still randomly closes on alt+tab
b20140408.8
win 8.1
fullscreen 1920x1080 480fps limit DirectX
Hiyorin
I can't get osu! to crash while alt tabbing without intentionally spamming alt-tab and changing songs at the same time but I found one small nitpick. There seems to be two kinds of alt-tabs, a white screen either flashes once or twice. If it only flashes once, the experience bar will always dissapear and will not come back until the twice flash alt tab is triggered somehow (typically by changing songs and alt tabbing in close succession).
Soinou
Seems like it's fixed for now.

Thanks a lot for this :)
xdistence
Breaks whenever i alt tab, doesnt matter if its loading, song end, whatever, it just freezes on the frame i alt tab and when i come back it doesnt move, audio works though.
Death
You are experiencing a different issue. Please make a new thread instead of bumping one that is 4 years old.