forum

[resolved] [confirmed] Osu crashes on alt+tab while on fullscreen mode

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kodora
Reposting here as Nathanael said

After last updates osu suddenly become lagging too much if i click alt+tab. Sometimes it gives me this then crushes, sometimes it becomes like this or this then crushes, sometimes cursor just disappears if i click alt+ tab then switch back to osu. I use DirectX, playing in fullscreen mode.

Here is issue what it gives:

System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'VertexShader'.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.set_VertexShader(VertexShader value)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.SetRenderState()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Begin(SpriteBlendMode blendMode, SpriteSortMode sortMode, SaveStateMode stateMode, Matrix transformMatrix)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Begin(SpriteBlendMode blendMode, SpriteSortMode sortMode, SaveStateMode stateMode)
at #Aj.#zj.#Ms()
at #Fj.#Gj.#G0()
at #1h.#0h.#Ms()
at #rb.#xb.#7s()
at #rb.#xb.#it(Object , EventArgs )
at #rb.#Bb.#Dt()
at #rb.#Rb.#Sv(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at #rb.#Rb.#ot()
at #rb.#xb.#ot()
at #1h.#np.#Iwb(String , Boolean )

osu! version: 20140318.6 (latest)
julchiar

peppy wrote:

Can you guys make this happen from the main menu with custom menu background disabled?
Yea, even happens with default skin.
Fanty
I get this problem too, though mostly when alt+tabbing into osu!'s maplist.
peppy
Please run borderless fullscreen for now. I still have no solution.
peppy
Hopefully fixed. Please confirm.
dkun
Seems good on my end.
julchiar
Still crashes for me
Nathanael
Client restarts for me using MillhioreF's method (b20140320.4).

MillhioreF wrote:

100% replication method:

1. Enter a song
2. Pause and click Back to Menu
3. Minimize the osu! window with Minimize button before it fully fades to black
DenObscure
I've also been having this problem for quite a while. Usually i go to the option menu and turn off fullscreen when i want to alt-tab. Also, sometimes I get kind of a black screen on that startmenu. I can see who's online and the music plays but can't do anything else, which forces me to restart once more. Another similar problem is that my screens flicker when trying to open osu (maybe this is because i use 2 screens, I'm not quite sure). I'm pretty sure all these problems are connected to each other.
I'm forced to play in fullscreen so I hope this gets fixed someday :D.
Chitose

DenObscure wrote:

I've also been having this problem for quite a while. Usually i go to the option menu and turn off fullscreen when i want to alt-tab. Also, sometimes I get kind of a black screen on that startmenu. I can see who's online and the music plays but can't do anything else, which forces me to restart once more. Another similar problem is that my screens flicker when trying to open osu (maybe this is because i use 2 screens, I'm not quite sure). I'm pretty sure all these problems are connected to each other.
I'm forced to play in fullscreen so I hope this gets fixed someday :D.
The majority of those just got fixed (on public). There's what Nathanael said, however, which I can reproduce in the dev build:

Nathanael wrote:

Client restarts for me using MillhioreF's method (b20140320.4).
The issue is with the way that directx+windows alt-tabs (you can see this in literally any other directx game that supports fullscreen), and how osu! rebuilds the page on alt-tab entry.
TheVileOne
Why can't you just catch everything and resume gameplay?

I'm not sure why the textures glitch out the way they do. I assume that's a pointer issue.
Sawe
If i tab out with windows + d the game still crashes after latest update :S

my settings :
peppy
Please confirm that it only happens after entering play mode now. Please test using default skin.

TheVileOne wrote:

Why can't you just catch everything and resume gameplay?
I'm not sure why the textures glitch out the way they do. I assume that's a pointer issue.
Trust in that it's a TOUCH more complex than that.
TheVileOne
Gameplay testing

Alt-tabbing during the black screen when returning to menu can cause black screen corruption and crashing. Note: The crashing happened when clicking the taskbar menu to resume.

Play mode testing

I can cause it to crash by alt tabbing while transitioning into playmode. It doesn't crash until I select the taskbar button.

I can still cause the crash by alt tabbing while switching songs.

I could not get it to crash during the title menu.

Edit: doesn't crash in multiplayer.

Pressing the random button in play mode causes texture corruption and locked up my game in the brownish transition screen that appears while osu is minimizing. You have to end task osu! from the task manager if this happens. I don't know why anyone would want to alt-tab during this process though.

I think everything that involves the loading circle or some act of loading can cause corruption in this window. The corruptions seems to just be a black screen. It is more likely to crash once textures have corrupted. It probably could happen during any part of the song select that involves a screen transition or something loading into view, except the mod window.

I found that it happens quite often if I alt tab while the game is minimizing.
Hiryuu_old

peppy wrote:

Hopefully fixed. Please confirm.
Can't confirm, it still crashes me at a very frequent rate, doesn't matter what skin I use, it crashes regardless. It happens when i'm in main menu or when i pause the game during a break time and i alt tab and when I go back to osu! then the client crashes. In approximate rate, it happens every 3-4 times i alt+tab, sometimes it does it by just alt tabing once. I'm hoping to see it being fixed, I wouldn't mind playing in borderless resolution, but the game will get some sort of latency whenever I play in borderless resolution which I don't really enjoy at all.
Sebbern
Can't confirm, I frequently alt tab to check chats, and it have crashed three times today.

Still got to terminate the process through task manager.
julchiar

peppy wrote:

Please confirm that it only happens after entering play mode now. Please test using default skin.
Using default skin I can reproduce crashing on:
- entering song select from main menu
- entering song select from playing a map
- loading into a map

Which essentially was everywhere I ever experienced crashes. Haven't tested multiplayer but I'd imagine I could get it to crash if I were to tab out while it's loading up a map, when timed right.

I won't be running borderless fullscreen because mad cursor lag, I'd rather deal with crashing/caring about not alt-tabbing while loading then~
Chitose
In addition, moving the osu! window while in windowed directx to another monitor while you have song select open hardlocks the game for the same reason.
Multtari
Try using mouse2 after insert, idk what sorcery is this but it works for me.
peppy
Please report back after latest build.
julchiar

peppy wrote:

Please report back after latest build.
Seems to have fixed it for me, good job! Thanks :)
MillhioreF
Seems fixed under normal circumstances, but still broken when following replication steps in my earlier post.
Nathanael
Now I can crash the client whenever I restore osu! from being minimized and the current map has no background.
Looks related to this issue.

System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'GraphicsDevice'.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.InternalHelper.CheckDisposed(Object obj, Void* pComPtr)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.get_GraphicsDeviceStatus()
at #rb.#Hb.#wu()
at #rb.#Hb.#vu()
at #rb.#Hb.#mu()
at #rb.#xb.#4s()
at #rb.#xb.#7s()
at #rb.#Bb.#Dt()
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProcException(Exception e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnThreadException(Exception e)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at CallWindowProcW(IntPtr , HWND__* , UInt32 , UInt32 , Int32 )
at MouseSubClassFunc(HWND__* hWnd, UInt32 msg, UInt32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at #rb.#Rb.#ot()
at #rb.#xb.#ot()
ffstar
I am also have the same crash problem.
after the latest build, the problem has solved.
but now after alt+tab it become like this
not sure if i should post here because i dont think this should be consider as "resolved"
sorry for the inconvenient
edit: only the words are gone, you can still select a map/click back or press esc button and it will return to main menu screen, after reenter the song select section wont have the same problem, only after alt+tab will cause the problem (sorry for my bad english :o )
edit2: i found out it will only happen when that map is no BG
peppy
@Nathanael please test again on test build. I think I've fixed that case as well, but can't be sure.
Nathanael

peppy wrote:

@Nathanael please test again on test build. I think I've fixed that case as well, but can't be sure.
It still happens with the same error on b20140323.4test.
TheVileOne
Reporting in that alt tabbing while a map is just starting prevents the HUD from loading and the map doesn't continue playing. You can still restart the map to get it to work.

Edit: I just softlocked the game when alt tabbing while Random was running. If you have trouble replicating, it softlocked at a point where the backgrounds hadn't loaded yet, and the loading circle over the leaderboards was visible. I'm not certain exactly how to reproduce it.

Alt tabbing over a map with no background breaks the user menu display.

Further weirdness caused by alt tabbing with F2

Sieg
alt+tab
download new song from website
and go back
osu still randomly crashes
Sawe
Still crashes with windows + d
Ntasuto

TheVileOne wrote:

Reporting in that alt tabbing while a map is just starting prevents the HUD from loading and the map doesn't continue playing. You can still restart the map to get it to work.

Edit: I just softlocked the game when alt tabbing while Random was running. If you have trouble replicating, it softlocked at a point where the backgrounds hadn't loaded yet, and the loading circle over the leaderboards was visible. I'm not certain exactly how to reproduce it.

Alt tabbing over a map with no background breaks the user menu display.

Further weirdness caused by alt tabbing with F2

=========================================

Confirming and reporting about this issue .

When alt tabing back in osu and it freezes, if i wait in that state for a while, osu eventually crashes.
here is the crash log:

SPOILER
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at #On.#ho.#7eb()
at #1h.#0h.#qs()
at #rb.#xb.#7s()
at #rb.#Bb.#Dt()
at #rb.#Rb.#ot()
at #rb.#xb.#ot()
Jose
My osu crashes with Windows + D as well, please there's a way to fix this?
Nathanael

jose7952 wrote:

My osu crashes with Windows + D as well, please there's a way to fix this?
You can't fix it by yourself. Only the developers (or just peppy) can fix it.
Soinou
That was fixed in the previous update, and it's back again :(
Axel14_old
Guess i have to wait for an update for this :cry: While my friend next to me can keep playing with out no bug worriees
peppy
This should be completely fixed in the latest build. If you can replicate, give SPECIFIC instructions. And provide a video.
TheVileOne

Still happening.

I'm just alt tabbing during transitions. Not going to be able to get a video right now.

I can replicate transitioning into a game, and by pressing F2.

It happens in both public and test build.

1. Alt tab while selecting a new song.
2. Game will crash upon selecting tab to reenter game.

The behavior seems to be worse than before you disabled flashlight. I can consistently cause it to crash.
Soinou
Happens to me too, the same error, but when alt tabbing on the song selection window. Then on return to osu!, black screen for some secs, and crash.

Happens only on some songs, on other songs, something weird happens :

My default playfield (Skin), is a blank image, so when going on song without a background, the background is just black.

But when I alt tab out of the song selection screen on some songs, and going on a song without a background, the background is replaced by the picture of the song that was selected when I alt tabbed.

I'll try to see if it does on some songs in particular or if it's totally random.

Dunno if it can help, but well, better than nothing.

And sorry for the video, can't really record atm, maybe i'll do it later if it can be useful.

Well, I tested it a bit, and I noticed that alt-tabbing a lot makes a significant fps drop (120fps ~ 60fps after something like 10 alt-tab). Dunno if it's related, but still pretty weird.

Oh, and doing it enough times (20-30 maybe) makes osu! crash with this error :

Such error
System.InvalidOperationException: Begin must be called successfully before a Draw can be called.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.InternalDraw(Texture2D texture, Vector4& destination, Boolean scaleDestination, Nullable`1& sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2& origin, SpriteEffects effects, Single depth)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Draw(Texture2D texture, Vector2 position, Nullable`1 sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2 origin, Vector2 scale, SpriteEffects effects, Single layerDepth)
at #Lm.#Mm.#Ms()
at #Lm.#sp.#Ms()
at #fj.#kj.#Ms()
at #rb.#xb.#Ms()
at #1h.#0h.#Ms()
at #rb.#xb.#7s()
at #rb.#Bb.#Dt()
at #rb.#Rb.#ot()
at #rb.#xb.#ot()
ColdTooth
I can confirm this, both public and test.

http://puu.sh/7Nojl.mp4

I enabled fullscreen, went into song select, and I selected another song, while alt+tabbing. Once I did that it gave me a black screen, and went into my desktop. After that I tried alt+tabbing once more, and it brought out up the same black screen as before, stopping all audio as it did. This then gave me the error message TVO had.

(couldn't show the black screen cause my program doesn't do that.)

Hopefully this helps
peppy
Why don't you like, stop alt-tabbing while changing songs? How do you even manage this?

Safe to say that most cases which matter are fixed?
TheVileOne
I don't know why someone would do it. I don't use fullscreen normally. If you want to chalk this up as resolved, then I guess you could do so. But it's barely changed since it was first confirmed. There's less background overwriting with random textures, and perhaps leaving the game 's behavior is better, but transitions still will crash.
show more