forum

[resolved] [confirmed] Osu crashes on alt+tab while on fullscreen mode

posted
Total Posts
show more
TheVileOne
I have managed to trigger texture corruption by alt-tabbing while changing songs. This is a good sign that it could potentially crash.

I got this error

Might have been because I had a twitch stream open at the same time.

Image of texture corruption

Ephemeral
can replicate this using TVO's method - appears to be related to the graphics device not resetting properly upon returning to fullscreen during the transition specific to D3D (XNA) - will not occur on OGL under any circumstances
FlameseeK
Osu's been crashing a LOT as of late on my pc. It hardly ever crashed before, but it's been crashing like there's no tomorrow this week. It's either CTD's or a black screen. I've just gotten a black screen after attempting to retry a beatmap.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I should be posting here, so my bad if that's the case. It just seems to be a similar issue since the OP's been getting black screens as well.
TheVileOne
That is a different issue.
Kert
In my case osu! quits quietly and restarts right away with like 50% chance after trying to return from alt-tabbed state using fullscreen (I use winkey though)
MillhioreF
100% replication method:

1. Enter a song
2. Pause and click Back to Menu
3. Minimize the osu! window with Minimize button before it fully fades to black

Easiest to do in windowed mode (despite the thread title) by hovering the mouse over minimize, using arrow keys and Enter to click "Back to Menu" and then the mouse to click the minimize key.
Multtari
My game has been doing this since last patch too. Almost everytime i alt-tab or boss key out i return to game to just hear the sounds and having white screen forcing me to kill the game from taskbar.
Ephemeral
Can people confirm that this does not happen in OGL mode and only in D3D?
peppy
OpenGL has no fullscreen anymore, but I can confirm it is a directx specific issue.
peppy
I'm 99.99% sure this is fixed with the latest build, so marking resolved.
MillhioreF
Still able to replicate on latest test (though texture corruption now seems more common than outright crashing).
peppy
Anyone else?
statementreply
It still happens to me on latest public and test builds in song selection menu. I don't get crashes for this, but I usually get a frozen screen with black background (i.e. missing beatmap background image, but other elements appear to be fine) and have to kill osu! in task manager.
Piine

statementreply wrote:

It still happens to me on latest public and test builds in song selection menu. I don't get crashes for this, but I usually get a frozen screen with black background (i.e. missing beatmap background image, but other elements appear to be fine) and have to kill osu! in task manager.
Same to me as well. Just black screens and having to kill it with Task Manager. It sometimes does the same with Boss Key but not frequently.
Topic Starter
Alchemi
Can still replicate as well.
Damnae
I'm not sure if it's related, but I get the crash/freeze when moving osu!'s window (not fullscreen) from a monitor to another while on the song selection screen, with DirectX only.
Catbug Sqeagy
Im getting this about 80% of the time I Alt-Tab out. It also makes all the images stretched and all over the place (Still useable) but then I goto play a map and it stops. The freezes and stretched distorted images also happen while I press F7 so If I press it by accident instead of F8 It dies.
Hiyorin
Still happens on public and test. I don't need to use task manager though, it just crashes with a texture corruption pippi shortly after replacing random graphics.
Lorpy
Same problem here, even with the last update.
primrose
Hi. Got the same problem except mine is freezing. But different way to duplicate.

1. (?) Make sure your osu! is in song select.
2. Go to other window other than osu! (like Chrome, etc)
3. Go back to osu!
4. When osu! appears, press F7 as fast as you can.
Xantis
Same problem here + before crash I went to main menu and it was dancing. O_o Everything was jumping on the screen and then crash.

Also, the cursor disappears after alt+tab. Seems that F7 method works quite well or maybe osu only crashes on unlimited frames mode?
julchiar
For me it happens when I tab out whenever there is a loading circle visible, mostly when going back to song select from playing. This might be hard to reproduce without having a large amount of beatmaps installed since that increases the loading time of song select by quite a bit.
This bug started occuring around mid to end of last october (fairly certain), in case that helps.
Yarissa
I have a similar problem with full screen mode alt+tabbing as well. I use two monitors and when I tab out, sometimes osu! will maximize onto my second monitor. Some people wouldn't really mind that, but I like osu! to stay on my good monitor, which also happens to be the one directly in front of my face. The game will return to my primary monitor when I switch it to borderless, but when I try to switch back, I get a crash.

I run osu! on direct x as well.
Hiryuu_old
I'm also crashing very often while i'm alt+tabing from osu and it seems to occur whenever i'm on fullscreen mode to have my native resolution. It doesn't happen if i'm not on fullscreen with borderless resolution. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro. I don't know if it has anything to do as what julchiar said, though I have 30.7k Beatmaps. If it does have anything to do then may this be useful (or maybe not).
1chimaru
This happened to me all the time. Playing in fullscreen mode with D3D and alt+tab out to look at chat and osu! website. Alt+tab back in and...empty background, static but songs still playing. Playing in windows mode with 1600 resolution, choose a song and when the game starts, osu! crashed. The same goes to when streaming with OBS. It crashed everytime and when I click restart osu! nothing happened. The worst part is...you need to open task manager to end osu! but my AIO PC mentioned that "Task manager had been disabled by Administrator" eventhough I'm the admin. Asked around about the solution for the problem but no one came out with the solution. So I had to restart my PC when this happens and its very very depressing. :(
peppy
Can you guys make this happen from the main menu with custom menu background disabled?
Hiryuu_old

peppy wrote:

Can you guys make this happen from the main menu with custom menu background disabled?
Yeah I can. My supporter ended a long time ago, I'm on the default background and it occurs
Kodora
Reposting here as Nathanael said

After last updates osu suddenly become lagging too much if i click alt+tab. Sometimes it gives me this then crushes, sometimes it becomes like this or this then crushes, sometimes cursor just disappears if i click alt+ tab then switch back to osu. I use DirectX, playing in fullscreen mode.

Here is issue what it gives:

System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'VertexShader'.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.set_VertexShader(VertexShader value)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.SetRenderState()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Begin(SpriteBlendMode blendMode, SpriteSortMode sortMode, SaveStateMode stateMode, Matrix transformMatrix)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Begin(SpriteBlendMode blendMode, SpriteSortMode sortMode, SaveStateMode stateMode)
at #Aj.#zj.#Ms()
at #Fj.#Gj.#G0()
at #1h.#0h.#Ms()
at #rb.#xb.#7s()
at #rb.#xb.#it(Object , EventArgs )
at #rb.#Bb.#Dt()
at #rb.#Rb.#Sv(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at #rb.#Rb.#ot()
at #rb.#xb.#ot()
at #1h.#np.#Iwb(String , Boolean )

osu! version: 20140318.6 (latest)
julchiar

peppy wrote:

Yea, even happens with default skin.
Fanty
I get this problem too, though mostly when alt+tabbing into osu!'s maplist.
peppy
Please run borderless fullscreen for now. I still have no solution.
peppy
Hopefully fixed. Please confirm.
dkun
Seems good on my end.
julchiar
Still crashes for me
Nathanael
Client restarts for me using MillhioreF's method (b20140320.4).

MillhioreF wrote:

100% replication method:

1. Enter a song
2. Pause and click Back to Menu
3. Minimize the osu! window with Minimize button before it fully fades to black
DenObscure
I've also been having this problem for quite a while. Usually i go to the option menu and turn off fullscreen when i want to alt-tab. Also, sometimes I get kind of a black screen on that startmenu. I can see who's online and the music plays but can't do anything else, which forces me to restart once more. Another similar problem is that my screens flicker when trying to open osu (maybe this is because i use 2 screens, I'm not quite sure). I'm pretty sure all these problems are connected to each other.
I'm forced to play in fullscreen so I hope this gets fixed someday :D.
Chitose

DenObscure wrote:

I've also been having this problem for quite a while. Usually i go to the option menu and turn off fullscreen when i want to alt-tab. Also, sometimes I get kind of a black screen on that startmenu. I can see who's online and the music plays but can't do anything else, which forces me to restart once more. Another similar problem is that my screens flicker when trying to open osu (maybe this is because i use 2 screens, I'm not quite sure). I'm pretty sure all these problems are connected to each other.
I'm forced to play in fullscreen so I hope this gets fixed someday :D.
The majority of those just got fixed (on public). There's what Nathanael said, however, which I can reproduce in the dev build:

Nathanael wrote:

Client restarts for me using MillhioreF's method (b20140320.4).
The issue is with the way that directx+windows alt-tabs (you can see this in literally any other directx game that supports fullscreen), and how osu! rebuilds the page on alt-tab entry.
TheVileOne
Why can't you just catch everything and resume gameplay?

I'm not sure why the textures glitch out the way they do. I assume that's a pointer issue.
Sawe
If i tab out with windows + d the game still crashes after latest update :S

my settings :
peppy
Please confirm that it only happens after entering play mode now. Please test using default skin.

TheVileOne wrote:

Why can't you just catch everything and resume gameplay?
I'm not sure why the textures glitch out the way they do. I assume that's a pointer issue.
Trust in that it's a TOUCH more complex than that.
show more