Total Posts
Topic Starter
Musty
i don't know what to think about that but well,
http://www.esl.eu/eu/osu/ui/versus/rankings

ESL has an osu! section..!

Have to see how it will be in the future, maybe it's gonna be good enough lol
but well, there are people that never played the game who tried it already D:

well, for those people asking, ESL is Electronic Sports League. An eSport-based website which organize tournaments for a lot of differents games, a major example is IEM, all of you who watch League of Legends' eSport might know this, it's organized by ESL. it is a worldwide organization since 1999 (if i'm right tho).

The goal of ESL is to promote eSport.
Myke B
I have no idea what esl is, but exposure is cool :P
Naikaze
What is ESL? Can you explain it? Thanks.
Topic Starter
Musty
Edited the main post
Naikaze
Is it only eu though?
Topic Starter
Musty
Nah, you can register from any country, the ".eu" means nothing.
Naikaze
Oh, alright, cool. I'll try this thing.
Myke B
wow, that's pretty neat.
osu! has its ESL section..!
I think you mean ESL has an osu! section :P
Topic Starter
Musty
Yeah, sorry, my english is very poor..
English lessons are like "Hey what's your name?"..
Edited =)
Marcin
Rules should be kinda more specific, they don't say whether you can use mods, or play unranked maps, it can be easily exploited by playing a map which you have memorized on FL :/
Floks
That site looks fucking great. BUY PREMIUM GET MORE POINTS FOR WINS IN VERSUS. PAY TO WIN!!!!!@111113123kdfasdfklahsdfi;asdfoh

What a joke of a "sports league."

Edit: Like for real, this might be the worst scam I've ever fucking seen.
Azer

Floks wrote:

That site looks fucking great. BUY PREMIUM GET MORE POINTS FOR WINS IN VERSUS. PAY TO WIN!!!!!@111113123kdfasdfklahsdfi;asdfoh

What a joke of a "sports league."

ESL is one of the greater organisations for actual esports, osu! isn't an esport and will/should never be. This ladder is quite a joke but the organisation is not.
Topic Starter
Musty
@Marcin: That's what i pointed out in the comments of the news, because i played against a low-average player, and i got a 1-1 result because this guy pick an Easy with DT+HD+HR+FL...
Floks
@Azer, outside of the professional scene ESL is a legit joke.
Myke B

Floks wrote:

@Azer, outside of the professional scene ESL is a legit joke.
what do you mean "outiside the professional scene" the fact that it's used in the professional scene is what makes it not a joke lol, wtf. Just take the free exposure, people act the same way when PPv2 came out a bit ago - WOW DUDEZ THIS SUX IT ISN'T EVEN POSSIBLE FOR IT TO CHANGE SO IT SUCKS. like come on, it can change, and if they make money off of it who cares? don't fucking use it lol.
Floks
If you aren't a sponsored professional team, ESL offers little to nothing in terms of meaningful competition. Heck even if you're a paying customer, it offers little to no competition.

Osu! has rankings, leaderboards, and tournaments already. I think the OWC tournament each year does a much better job advertising and exposing osu! to the world than some ESL ladder.

Edit: I also will add, the fact that someone had to make a thread about this ladder in the osu! forums shows how little the ladder matters for osu! competitive play. Someone had to tell the osu! community about this "competitive" venue.
- Marco -
Somebody asked some years ago and it got denied :c

they did it (AT LEAST IN ITALY, dunno other parts)

http://www.esl.eu/eu/osu/news/237257/
Floks
Looking at the news release that ESL did, I'm ready to eat my words if it gets traction at all. I just really doubt ESL is going to be where osu! goes places. It really depends on how the community responds to this ladder, and I do not have high hopes for top players competing on ESL. Who knows though, maybe we'll see players like rrtyui fighting other top players for king of the ladder.I see potofu and synchro on the leaderboards already...
NoYzE
I tried it and it's pretty cool.
Though it is very common to play draw if both players have about equal skill level, because there is no "official" mappool and the picked map is often well known by the host and unknown for the other player.
Myke B

Floks wrote:

Looking at the news release that ESL did, I'm ready to eat my words if it gets traction at all. I just really doubt ESL is going to be where osu! goes places. It really depends on how the community responds to this ladder, and I do not have high hopes for top players competing on ESL. Who knows though, maybe we'll see players like rrtyui fighting other top players for king of the ladder.I see potofu and synchro on the leaderboards already...
Who cares if it doesn't pick up, it's not like it provides anything negative. Let people have fun with it, and stop bashing it. It's kinda big for a company like ESL to recognize the game at all, and it's cool to see something like this happen no matter how small it may be.
-Ryosuke

Musty wrote:

Yeah, sorry, my english is very poor..
English lessons are like "Hey what's your name?"..
Edited =)
Avoid to blame your lessons. If you want to improve your english you can learn it alone.
but I still agree somehow.

I'm surprised that osu! is now in ESL.

why is there Clementine's skin and not mine ;-;
GladiOol
If there were rules this would have a chance. Right now it's not even ''fun'' to play. It's just going to be a draw 95% of the time now.
Sohma99
No mappool , no rules on mods or anything...
It could be good, but so far it's a joke.
Just pick a map and learn to FL it, and you'll at least draw every game.

Guess they just need to change the rules for it to be good. Doesn't need much actually.
GladiOol

Sohma99 wrote:

Guess they just need to change the rules for it to be good. Doesn't need much actually.
Any map with any mod has the same effect as FL. I can just use easy mod on any random map I find and I'll be sure to win. Or I just pick the tutorial for a spinner win. I even won my first match with a C rank on the tutorial map because of my spinning. #mlgeslprolegend

Just get a non-mod map list and this is more than good to go for a long time. Add in more maps over course of time and remove the maps which are hated on/never played. This way it keeps on being fresh and updated as well.
Senryakku
It can become a good thing once some specific osu rules will be applied. It is still new, just keep playing it with versus so they can see the game has some potential.
redhq
I think with some cooperation with the CAT and BAT teams this could have some traction with a rules set something like:

Allowed mods: HD HR DT NF

Each map is designated to be either: freemod, nomod, or forced mod. For forced mod the player who didn't select the map can force both players to play with one of the mods.

35 beatmap map pool:
10 No Mod
20 Free Mod
5 Forced Mod

Initial pool:
Community votes for the top 22 maps in 2013
Community votes for the top 8 maps in 2014 (Assuming this happens at the end of March)
The CAT/BAT team submit their top 5 all time maps

Pool (monthly) rotation:
The least played/ranked 5 are eliminated and replaced with:
The top 3 monthly ranking chart
The top 2 maps as chosen by the community that month

The CAT/BAT team also replace one of their top 5 all time each month (editors pick)

This provides equal footing as no one can be blind sided by an hour long marathon map or some stupid FL or easy mods. While rotating 1/6th of the map pool every month to prevent stagnation. Rotation occurs 1 week after the the CAT/BAT team releases their top month picks so the community has time to vote on other maps.
Topic Starter
Musty
^It won't happen, BAT/CAT =! ESL. They will never be part of it i guess.
Nemien
ESL mean Eletronic Sports League.
Junichiro

Each map is designated to be either: freemod, nomod, or forced mod. For forced mod the player who didn't select the map can force both players to play with one of the mods.
i already agreed with this at ESL, News, but the complete post with all the mappools and shit is at the moment -> too much

All real fair osu ESL players should post in the Versus chat when they join:
>RULES<
The player who didn't select the map can force both players to play with one of the mods.

If the players just using this little reasons, it's fair, playable, sporty and fun.
Someday mabye this little funny esl osu thing goes big and then every versus player begins the round with these sentense.
Do not act weird cause it's something other, there players out there who love this game and they could have more fun with it!
OWC is nice yeah but when i look at the teams its like: "well we need them but the old players are still there? ok lets play with them!"
theres only a new player in the team when an old one goes away so it's a cute little chance and change we could improve to big.
sry so much text :<

By the way: just add me at ESL, in a week i would like to play with some of the ESL fans :3 http://www.esl.eu/eu/osu/player/8235800/
cant play at the moment cause of fark interwebz
[ yogurt ]

Sohma99 wrote:

The leading player in VS is about 400k rank, so it's really a joke right now.
Synchrostar
it's already dead.
iirc you get bonus points for every first match of the day lol, so if you just play once each day you'll eventually climb up the ladder there